Live video from Colorado House floor debate over new gun control laws.

PDA

Justin
February 15, 2013, 01:00 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_22598007/colorados-gun-battle-both-sides-brace-epic-battle

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk. Hence all the misspellings and goofy word choices.

If you enjoyed reading about "Live video from Colorado House floor debate over new gun control laws." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
cleardiddion
February 16, 2013, 10:38 AM
It passed...

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2013/02/robert-farago/breaking-colorado-approves-hb-1224-banning-high-capacity-magazines/#more-201913

I'm rather mortified and sickened to think the beautiful state I grew up in turned to such dark paths.

izhevsk
February 16, 2013, 11:10 AM
Thanks for the link, Justin. I was able to watch around an hour of of the hearing on the magazine ban amendment hearing yesterday at work, and despite how things have turned out I was heartened to see several staunch pro-2A reps speak - Frank McNulty, Carole Murray, Jared Wright, Chris Holbert, Bob Gardner, and Jerry Sonnenberg.

Tim the student
February 16, 2013, 06:48 PM
It just makes me want to puke.

r1derbike
February 16, 2013, 07:15 PM
I hope Magpul considers the South to relocate. Time for business to pull-up stakes in gun hating states and move to areas where they will be appreciated. Abandon the turncoats.

nwilliams
February 16, 2013, 09:43 PM
Is there any word yet of whether hi-cap mags are going to be grandfathered in or is there going to be mandatory confiscation like NY?

izhevsk
February 17, 2013, 11:07 AM
The full text of the bill as it stands now can be found here:

http://www.leg.state.co.us//clics/clics2013a/csl.nsf/fsbillcont3/7E6713B015E62E6F87257B0100813CB5/$FILE/1224_eng.pdf

... A person may possess a large-capacity magazine if he or she owns the large-capacity magazine on the effective date of the bill and maintains continuous possession of the large-capacity magazine.

Justin
February 17, 2013, 11:32 PM
Is there any word yet of whether hi-cap mags are going to be grandfathered in or is there going to be mandatory confiscation like NY?

Currently owned magazines are grandfathered, but cannot be transferred except to people out of state.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk. Hence all the misspellings and goofy word choices.

Nagant
February 17, 2013, 11:43 PM
This makes me sick. So will the gun owners of CO comply with this tyranny?

MErl
February 18, 2013, 12:04 AM
Currently owned magazines are grandfathered, but cannot be transferred except to people out of state.

The way I read it, they cannot be transferred at all. If I shipped a grandfathered mag to someone out of state, I would be in violation of CO law but the buyer is safe.

Nickel Plated
February 18, 2013, 12:15 AM
This makes me sick. So will the gun owners of CO comply with this tyranny?
I'm curious too. With all the talk of not standing for these infringements, how many are going to disobey? Let's see it folks, it's time to put up or shut up.

Zak Smith
February 18, 2013, 01:09 AM
The bill has not passed yet. That was the 2nd reading with a verbal vote. The House vote on record will be Monday. All we have to do it turn 3 (D) Senators or 5 (D) Representatives to defeat it. Now is the time to contact them!!

Black Butte
February 18, 2013, 01:13 PM
Any news yet on today's vote? Keep us posted.

SoCalNoMore
February 18, 2013, 01:20 PM
Live final debate

http://www.coloradochannel.net/colorado-house-2013-legislative-day-41

Warning, listening to some of these elected "officials" may kill brain cells. Dang, that Rep Fields is not too bright is she?

wow, the one rep against the bill may cry

Creature
February 18, 2013, 01:33 PM
woops.

Zak Smith
February 18, 2013, 01:35 PM
Magazines already in the state are grandfathered if their current owners keep possession of them. What you propose would be a bad idea.

SoCalNoMore
February 18, 2013, 03:16 PM
CO HB 1224 passed, but its not over like Zak said. Still time and more work that can be done to help out Colorado.

If you are not a resident, still send an email. I for one vacation in Vale every year, and will stop doing so if they pass this atrocious bill. You may have a similar situation and it is worth expressing to them.

http://www.mercurynews.com/politics-government/ci_22613895/colorado-house-debate-gun-bills-again-but-limited

Zak Smith
February 18, 2013, 03:18 PM
This is not over.

It still has to pass the Senate and we only need 3 (D)'s to vote on our side to get it stopped there. We had I think 2 in the House, so it's within the realm of possible.

We will have about a week or maybe a little bit longer to put pressure on the Senate

SoCalNoMore
February 18, 2013, 03:20 PM
This is not over.

It still has to pass the Senate and we only need 3 (D)'s to vote on our side to get it stopped there. We had I think 2 in the House, so it's within the realm of possible.

We will have about a week or maybe a little bit longer to put pressure on the Senate
Are you sure, my friend that blogs for the paper in Denver said this was it, done deal unless the Governor vetoes it.

Indeed, he generalized. It still needs to go to the Senate. Sorry to have questioned you.

CoRoMo
February 18, 2013, 03:27 PM
Zak's right, the Senate has yet to see the bills that the House is voting on.

Zak Smith
February 18, 2013, 03:31 PM
State Senators:

Irene.aguilar.senate@state.co.us, bob.bacon.senate@state.co.us, betty.boyd.senate@state.co.us, greg@gregbrophy.net, bill.cadman.senate@state.co.us, morgan.carroll.senate@state.co.us, joyce.foster.senate@state.co.us, angela.giron.senate@state.co.us, kevin.grantham.senate@state.co.us,, lucia.guzman.senate@state.co.us, ted.harvey.senate@state.co.us,, rollie.health.senate@state.co.us,, mary.hodge.senate@state.co.us, senatorhudak@gmail.com, cheru.jahn.senate@state.co.us, mike.johnson.senate@state.co.us,, keith@keithking.org, steve.king.senate@state.co.us,, senatorlambert@comcast.net, kevin@kevinlundberg.com, shawnmitch@aol.com, john.morse.senate@state.co.us

henschman
February 18, 2013, 03:33 PM
If it does pass, I'm sure gun shops near the state line in neighboring states will appreciate the extra business in standard capacity mag sales from all the Coloradoans who are not planning on relinquishing their liberty. It will also be interesting to see how they plan on enforcing this law, since the State will have to prove that the mag wasn't owned prior to the implementation of the law. Most mags do not carry date marks or serial numbers.

Trent
February 18, 2013, 03:33 PM
Man, that really sucks. Best of luck to you guys!

highorder
February 18, 2013, 03:45 PM
Most mags do not carry date marks or serial numbers.

All Pmags do have their manufacture date molded into them.

henschman
February 18, 2013, 04:20 PM
True, but it is easily removed or obliterated with a file, scraper, or soldering iron. That or just stick to good ol GI aluminum.

Mayvik
February 18, 2013, 04:21 PM
All Pmags do have their manufacture date molded into them.
Not really relevant since it's when you owned it (before/after), not when it was manufactured. I can't go out and buy (with a paper trail...) a 30 year old GI surplus AR mag after the date the law takes effect.

coloradokevin
February 18, 2013, 04:23 PM
If it does pass, I'm sure gun shops near the state line in neighboring states will appreciate the extra business in standard capacity mag sales from all the Coloradoans who are not planning on relinquishing their liberty. It will also be interesting to see how they plan on enforcing this law, since the State will have to prove that the mag wasn't owned prior to the implementation of the law. Most mags do not carry date marks or serial numbers.

Coloradans already travel to WY each year to buy fireworks. I guess they'll just be adding magazines to that list.

The thing that REALLY pisses me off about this law is that it also attempts to forbid me from even selling or giving any of my magazines to anyone else.

henschman
February 18, 2013, 04:57 PM
Screw 'em... resist baby.

Bianchi?
February 18, 2013, 05:01 PM
I'm curious too. With all the talk of not standing for these infringements, how many are going to disobey? Let's see it folks, it's time to put up or shut up.

We're going to find out once doors start getting kicked in......

loose noose
February 18, 2013, 05:18 PM
henschman, Be aware that altering or removing a serial number from any object of value is a felony, it also goes under "Receiving Stolen Property" also a felony. It's best to lay and let lay, besides that law hasn't been enacted yet, so hold your horses. I also do a lot of traveling thru Colorado, however if any of those silly laws pass, believe me I'll be going around that Californicated State. Also they can kiss my out of state deer and elk tag fees goodbye. :mad:

Nickel Plated
February 18, 2013, 07:37 PM
I don't think PMAGS have serial numbers on them. And I find it hard to believe that removing a date or any other marking besides a serial number from almost anything is a felony in any way.

Why does Magpul date their mags BTW? They just made it easier for the antis. Just stick to GI aluminum mags and you'll be good.

Cesiumsponge
February 18, 2013, 07:57 PM
They probably date them for traceability to manufacturing or to molds if problems arise. I am not certain when they changed their design, but I have at least a couple different versions of the windowless PMAG over the years.

MErl
February 18, 2013, 08:34 PM
yes they have a month and year on them.

If you read the CO law about removing serial numbers, it applies to unique identification markings. A lot number (which is all a month/year is) is not unique.

Solo
February 18, 2013, 09:15 PM
I suppose 3-D printed magazines could not be dated in such a fashion?

If you enjoyed reading about "Live video from Colorado House floor debate over new gun control laws." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!