Question on embrasure sizes

PDA

bernie
February 16, 2013, 01:18 PM
I think this probably belongs in the rifle forums, so bear with me. I was watching an episode of "Combat!" and the platoon was trying to take out a couple of pillboxes with no arty or armor support. Lt. Hanley then orders a base of fire from the riflemen onto the embrasures (openings for the machine guns) to allow someone to move up and take out the bunkers.

Anyone know how large a typical embrasure was? I do realize that there were many different sizes, but just a general idea.

I ask because I regularly shoot at 4-500 yards with a couple of buddies. I would like to make an embrasure target, and get on line and shoot rattle-battle style just to see how many hits we could put on the target. Truly, I am just curious as to how feasible this tactic would be. I do realize a target does not shoot back, which does lessen the comlexity of it!

Thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "Question on embrasure sizes" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
TurtlePhish
February 16, 2013, 01:37 PM
From looking at pictures, I'd guess around 12" high and five or six feet wide for a smallish bunker.

Sounds like a neat target to try shooting.

If you enjoyed reading about "Question on embrasure sizes" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!