What if? Almost goofed.

PDA

DILLER
February 16, 2013, 11:20 PM
Changed over my Dillon 550 from 9mm to .223 this evening.
Thought I emptied the primer tube, but I guess not. Or maybe there were 3 spp's left in the pick up tube. Not too sure. (will be sure next time).

I caught the goof, but not before I primed 2 cases.:banghead:

What would have happened? Small pistol primer instead of small rifle primer?

Thanks
Rick

If you enjoyed reading about "What if? Almost goofed." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ColtPythonElite
February 16, 2013, 11:23 PM
The primer might rupture due to it having a cup made of thinner metal.

ArchAngelCD
February 16, 2013, 11:49 PM
I would not fire them because they are dangerous. Take them apart and replace the primers and reuse the other components.

LUCKYDAWG13
February 16, 2013, 11:55 PM
i wouldn't do it but i dont think it would blow up your gun

FROGO207
February 17, 2013, 08:39 AM
At rifle pressures the primer would rupture and this will eventually erode your bolt heat if done a lot. You may have gotten away with it this time had you not noticed it but the little mistakes have a habit of becoming a big problem if not taken seriously however. These are the things that we ALWAYS try to avoid. Glad you caught it before something happened. I always am almost anal about reloading and changing calibers in particular.My rule is one caliber/load at a time on the workbench, label the measure with propellant and print plainly what the load/components are on a piece of paper and keep it there in view to refer to until I break that particular setup down. That helps me when I get that inevitable interruption--at which time I finish that last bullet in hand completely and always am ready to begin with the next bullet. A routine I arrived at with many years of reloading without problems. One rule is if it doesn't feel right then I check it because of that feeling. You just proved that idea works. We all had to learn sometime and all made mistakes then. :cool:

Walkalong
February 17, 2013, 08:58 AM
Yep, that is a definite whoops. Always double and triple check all components and settings before getting started.

You did well to catch it, and only have two cases to fix, and not fifty or more all ready to shoot.

You would have stood a very good chance of a pierced/blown primer, and that isn't a good thing. It is however, one of the reasons we should wear safety glasses when shooting.

cfullgraf
February 17, 2013, 09:11 AM
Changed over my Dillon 550 from 9mm to .223 this evening.
Thought I emptied the primer tube, but I guess not.

To avoid problems similar to this, at the end of the day's reloading, I always empty the powder hopper back into it original container and make sure all unpackaged primers are returned to their original packaging or consumed.

Even if I plan to come back the next day. I have found plans change and I do not always get back to the reloading bench when I want to.

jmorris
February 17, 2013, 09:37 AM
I use rifle primers in some pistol loads but the only pistol primers I use in rifle loads are for 458 socom. However published data for 458 socom specifies pistol primers.

NeuseRvrRat
February 17, 2013, 11:20 AM
just fyi, when the dillon low primer buzzer goes off, you usually have 3 more primers left

If you enjoyed reading about "What if? Almost goofed." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!