.309 170gr cast flat point with gas check

PDA

kbbailey
February 17, 2013, 09:06 AM
I bought a new mould and cast a bunch of these for use in my .30-30. This recent ammo shortage has got me thinking about being less dependent on suppliers. I know I can reload my .30-30 with many different powders...even black.
What other cartridges can I reload with .309 FPGC?? .30-06?? 7.62X39?? (I have rifles in these calibers) ... any others??

If you enjoyed reading about ".309 170gr cast flat point with gas check" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
blarby
February 17, 2013, 10:43 AM
Anything in 30 cal, in theory.

Way too heavy for 30 carbine. :D

41 Mag
February 17, 2013, 11:43 AM
As long as the bore diameter doesn't exceed the outside diameter of your bullets your good to go with anything 30 cal. It might be a bit small for the 7.62 depending on what your as cast diameter is. With that one you might not even have to size them.

Just remember not to start pushing the velocity on them. With them being a bit long verses their diameter they get a bit wiggy a bit easier than a cast handgun bullet that is usually short and squatty. All that lead stacked up in a nice small diameter pile there will slump if you smack it too hard on the rear.

kbbailey
February 17, 2013, 12:32 PM
All that lead stacked up in a nice small diameter pile there will slump if you smack it too hard on the rear.

^^lol, I like that explanation. Good advice, and yes I plan to keep at 2000fps or below

If you enjoyed reading about ".309 170gr cast flat point with gas check" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!