reaming a 45 acp to 45 colt..is this possible

PDA

usedjean
February 17, 2013, 06:39 PM
I have a ruger newmodel blackhawk with a 45 acp cylinder, someone tred to ream one of the bores in cylinder. other five are 45 acp, can it be bored or reamed to do 45 colt. Is it safe?

and who could do this work, on a workin mas budgit.

Thanks Edward:banghead:

If you enjoyed reading about "reaming a 45 acp to 45 colt..is this possible" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rcmodel
February 17, 2013, 06:58 PM
Yes, the .45 ACP is .480" at the rim, tapering to .473" at the case mouth.

The .45 Colt has a ..512" rim with a .480" chamber all the way though to the chamber throat.

Who can do it?

Any decent gunsmith with a .45 Colt chamber reamer should be able to do it.

rc

Jim K
February 17, 2013, 08:52 PM
On the Ruger, the .45ACP cylinder lets the case head fit flush at the rear. In other words, there is no room for the rim of the .45 Colt cartridge, so either the reamer has to include a countersink or the rear of the cylinder has to be faced off.

Jim

rcmodel
February 17, 2013, 09:13 PM
All .45 Colt, or other straight wall revolver caliber reamers I am aware of will cut the case head recess if necessary.

Thats how the headspace / chamber depth is set when you ream the chamber in a close fitting revolver cylinder, or barrel in a rifle.

rc

Jim K
February 18, 2013, 10:57 PM
I had an old .38 Special reamer at one time that didn't cut the recess, but you are right, all the ones I have seen since do. I guess I was trying to cover all the bases.

Jim

If you enjoyed reading about "reaming a 45 acp to 45 colt..is this possible" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!