Want to make my ball mold a lil bigger any ideas???

PDA

jeeptim
February 17, 2013, 08:03 PM
Hey Fellas.
I have a 451 round ball mold would like it a lil bigger. My first thought is dremmel my second thought I need to keep it round.
How did you do it and did it work well.
Thanx

If you enjoyed reading about "Want to make my ball mold a lil bigger any ideas???" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
72coupe
February 17, 2013, 08:15 PM
Cast a ball. Put a screw into the sprue. Dab a little valve grinding compound in the cavity. Put you electric drill on the screw, insert the ball into the mold. turn on the drill.

Repeat as necesarry.

rcmodel
February 17, 2013, 08:16 PM
There really isn't any good way short of a cherry and a milling machine.

I guess maybe valve grinding compound and a lead ball with a screw in it attached to a drill & a long time lapping would be the only way I can think of to = bigger and still round too.

But that would sure take a while to make it meaningfully bigger.

PS: Looks like 72coupe was posting while I was typing.
Great minds think alike. :D
Some just do it slower then others!!

rc

Packman
February 17, 2013, 10:04 PM
Maybe a dumb question, but why not just buy a bigger mold? Midway has .454 Lee molds for $19.99. Backordered, yeah, but it'll come in eventually. Seems like that'd be less headache.

splattergun
February 17, 2013, 10:35 PM
Estimated back order 4-5 weeks. If you can't wait that long, lapping it per post 2 is not a huge job. Take it in steps. 1st mold will take .001 to .0015 off, a second cherry mold will take another .001".

jeeptim
February 17, 2013, 10:47 PM
Thanx for all the info goining shootin tomorrow so ordering one is out.
What I did do is used a stone ball on a dremmel then a bullet shaped buffing .tool on the dremmel with boffing compound .453 nice and round.

jldee55
February 18, 2013, 07:52 AM
TOW also has them for the same price..

If you enjoyed reading about "Want to make my ball mold a lil bigger any ideas???" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!