Cut the H&R 12ga to 18.5" and made a halo sight...

February 17, 2013, 09:59 PM
I started a thread a bit ago about cutting down the H&R my Dad gave me. It's not a sentimental gun, he didn't like it and I was going to buy one... It originally had a rough "V" filed into the receiver in the incorrect position and the barrel was quite bent :what: It patterned like this at 14 yards (just 8 BBs in the 8" circle at 25 yards).

I have access to a Bridgeport mill where I work (I am now an engineer, but worked my way up through the shop while I went to school), so I decided to chop the barrel and possibly send it in to H&R for a new barrel fitting if this is too loud for me. The muzzle was milled at 18.500" (+/- .001") and deeply chamfered. I put a new "bead" on it at 18.25", a stainless 4-40 socket head cap screw that I can easily switch out for something taller/shorter to "sight" it in. If I need to change the POA left/right, I can remove still another 1/4" from the barrel and reinstall a new bead. The homemade halo sight is made from a piece of 3/8" x 3/8" steel, it has a .168" hole in it. I patterned it after the XS sight I have on my 1894, but with a thicker ring for a quicker pickup. The rear sight is installed into the receiver by way of a precision cut 3/8" wide groove and a 6-32 flat head cap screw. I fit the wood a bit better and refinished it. My last part of this project is to find a 1" recoil pad I can fit to the stock.

I did the halo sight just for the fun of (I wanted to remove the filed V in the receiver because it was incorrect and bothered me). The location of the sight is based loosely on how the gun patterned above. I did not expect the gun to point as naturally as it does, it mounts like a dream. I have no intention of using this gun for anything long range, the only use that halo may get is buckshot or slugs, but of course that depends on if I can get it sighted in. The slugs will have to wait until I get that buttpad and some weight in the stock.

The gun may be ugly and out-of-proportion, but I had a blast modding it. All the metalwork took me hours, including a bit of "getting back in the swing" at the knee mill.

If you enjoyed reading about "Cut the H&R 12ga to 18.5" and made a halo sight..." here in archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join today for the full version!
Chevelle SS
February 17, 2013, 10:07 PM
That looks pretty awesome!

February 17, 2013, 10:09 PM
I like what you did there, looks like a fun project.

February 17, 2013, 10:15 PM
Here's one sighting down the barrel. I thought about making a nice thin halo ring, but I wanted something rugged and the thicker ring picks up so much faster than the thinner ones. I don't think it takes up too much of the sight picture (because it is no where near my focus point and my other eye adds what the ring takes away).

February 17, 2013, 10:28 PM
I've always had a soft spot for those single shot H&R shotguns.

February 18, 2013, 12:35 AM
how did you measure your barrel?

February 18, 2013, 12:55 AM
I like what you did with it, it looks great. You might look into a coating and if you like to do it yourself, Brownells alumahyde is inexpensive, easy to work with and is fairly durable.

February 18, 2013, 01:09 AM
how did you measure your barrel?
I used an edge finder and the mill's DRO which is extremely accurate, Then I triple checked with a tape measure (see my tag-line)

February 18, 2013, 06:01 AM
You know I had my doubts when I read your other thread, but looking at your final result that thing looks really good! Congrats!

February 18, 2013, 08:35 PM
Nice job.:cool:

February 19, 2013, 12:13 AM
I Like It, Good Job.................

February 19, 2013, 12:22 PM
That looks great! Might have to go buy one & do something similar.

February 19, 2013, 01:27 PM
The recoil on these can be stout for many,even before cutting the barrel. Since many buy these due to low cost,adding a simple inexpensive recoil pad can help tame the recoil. I use the Pachmayr slip on deceleration pad, the small size fits well.

Nice job on the smiffin work!!

February 19, 2013, 01:52 PM
I purchased the Remington Supercell (for wood stocks) recoil pad that is supposed to be a pretty close to drop-in fit for most wood stocked H&Rs. Ironically most reviews say it DOESN'T fit the Remington gun it was made for...

If you enjoyed reading about "Cut the H&R 12ga to 18.5" and made a halo sight..." here in archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join today for the full version!