Cleaning after molys

PDA

Sniper66
February 18, 2013, 10:29 AM
I shot some molys in my Remington 700 VLS .243 and have never had great accuracy with them; good, but not great. So, I have tried some different loads and bullets, mostly Hornady in the lighter variety. Same deal with accuracy; good but not great. Someone suggested I may need to scrub the moly coating out of my barrel with bore paste, saying the usual bore solvent isn't enough. What do you say? What experience do you have with bore paste? I'm also going to experiment with heavier bullets, say in the 70-85 gr range. I use this gun for 300+ yard p-dogs, which is why I was using the lighter weight bullets. But, my rifle may just not like them. Your thoughts about the barrel cleaning would be appreciated.

If you enjoyed reading about "Cleaning after molys" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
788Ham
February 19, 2013, 11:56 AM
A suggestion I might make: Go onto Midway USA and get a bottle of "Witch's Brew", a bore cleaning solution. A gunsmith close to me offered this as a way to clean copper build up in the bore. Its a soluble liquid, put on patch, scrub bore, wipe out. Will NOT hurt the bore, if it will clean copper fouling, moly shouldn't be too big of a demand.

rcmodel
February 19, 2013, 12:21 PM
This will take all the Moly out.
http://www.brownells.com/gun-cleaning-chemicals/solvents-degreasers/bore-cleaning-paste/j-b-reg-non-embedding-bore-cleaning-compound-prod1160.aspx

Nothing much else will.

rc

Maj Dad
February 20, 2013, 02:24 PM
I ruled out moly in my 6mm Remington because of the huge pain of the whole process. It was trumpeted as the Final Answer to day-long varmint fests, increasing velocity and decreasing cleaning requirements and everything else. It takes a lot of prep and the results don't justify it. Here are the observations of another jaded cynic who went back to copper solvent and JB Bore Paste & JB Bore Shine with me... :cool:

http://varminthuntinginternational.com/greatmolyhoax.html

Blanco
February 21, 2013, 10:31 PM
I have never tried my cleaner on Moly ... However it so far has worked better than any cleaner I have ever used . I would be curious how well it works on your issue?

1 part Valvoline universal ATF (Lowest odor)
1 part odorless mineral spirits
last part is light weight oil (10 wt compressor oil)
and D-limoline or orange oil.
I would probably never have believed how good this stuff works but it is the best at cleaning fouling and carbon and un-burned powder from a gun. It also penetrates and dissolves rust and leaves a light oily film that will prevent future rust.
The d-limoline is a great cleaner and adds a nice sweet odor to the mix.

Skyshot
February 24, 2013, 09:07 AM
This will take all the Moly out.
http://www.brownells.com/gun-cleaning-chemicals/solvents-degreasers/bore-cleaning-paste/j-b-reg-non-embedding-bore-cleaning-compound-prod1160.aspx

Nothing much else will.

rc
I think might have the one who suggested that you try the JB bore paste in a previous thread. As RC said , it's the real deal, I kid you not.

Sniper66
February 24, 2013, 02:01 PM
I ordered The Brownell bore paste. Thanks for your help.

2@low8
February 24, 2013, 05:36 PM
I couldn't find any J-B.

I did find some Iosso bore cleaner... is it as good, better or worse than J-B?

If you enjoyed reading about "Cleaning after molys" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!