Finding a discontinued firearm

PDA

Hotshot10
February 18, 2013, 12:27 PM
Aimlessly searching the Internet for something only tangentially related, I came upon a Winchester lever action that was discontinued in 2010. Of course, it happens to be a model that I really like. :banghead:

I'm not a fan of buying online from Gunbroker, etc., so I thought that I might try something else. (I've no idea if this is even possible.) Has anyone tried calling a manufacturer, tracking the shipments of a certain model to distributors, and then tracking them to area shops? Is that even possible?

I realize that, even if it's possible, that process would be time consuming, but it cannot be worse than driving all over the area looking or calling shop after shop after shop.

If you enjoyed reading about "Finding a discontinued firearm" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
JRH6856
February 18, 2013, 12:55 PM
I'm sure the FBI has tried it. And ATF and DHS, but I'm not sure private citizens would get very far.

Depending on the brand and the model, you may be able to get the history of a specific gun if you have the serial number.

Hotshot10
February 18, 2013, 01:09 PM
IF YOU DON'T LIKE Gunbroker DON'T USE IT.

Did you read the original post? Yeesh. :rolleyes:

you may be able to get the history of a specific gun if you have the serial number

I'm trying to find a certain model, not a certain firearm, though.

DPris
February 18, 2013, 01:12 PM
Manufacturers don't have the time to do your tracking and searching for you.
Denis

jamesbeat
February 18, 2013, 01:21 PM
Worth placing a WTB ad?

savanahsdad
February 18, 2013, 01:29 PM
back in 1997 I was looking for a Savage 7mm-08 with a detach, mag, in a weather-warrior ,I called Savage , it truned out they had only made 8 of them , they made more in 308 and a bunch of 7mm-08 without the detach mags. , they gave me the names of the supplyers they had sent them out too , one was Jerry's shooters supply, and the other was ?????? shooters supply, my local gun shop got guns from both of them , I had my Savage mod 16 FCSS in less than a week ,

so I would say. call them , what could it hurt , maybe you get lucky as I did ,

J-Bar
February 18, 2013, 01:32 PM
Search for the Winchester Collectors club website, make your wants known there.

Hotshot10
February 18, 2013, 02:02 PM
back in 1997 I was looking for a Savage 7mm-08 with a detach, mag, in a weather-warrior ,I called Savage , it truned out they had only made 8 of them , they made more in 308 and a bunch of 7mm-08 without the detach mags. , they gave me the names of the supplyers they had sent them out too , one was Jerry's shooters supply, and the other was ?????? shooters supply, my local gun shop got guns from both of them , I had my Savage mod 16 FCSS in less than a week ,

Interesting. I guess it worked for you. I'll try calling Winchester. As you said, it can't hurt.

Search for the Winchester Collectors club website, make your wants known there.

I didn't know about that site. Thanks for the tip.

Worth placing a WTB ad?

I'm trying to avoid purchasing online, but I might go that route. Thanks.

MAKster
February 18, 2013, 07:45 PM
You should look at the CDNN catalogue. They sell discontinued firearms and I have seen many Winchester models listed.

rduckwor
February 18, 2013, 09:47 PM
Check [url]www.armslist.com.

More sane than gunxxxxx whatever.com

RMD

MachIVshooter
February 19, 2013, 12:31 AM
Manufacturers don't have the time to do your tracking and searching for you

Some will. Armalite told me what distributor my M15 went to. I wasn't asking, I had called them just as an "FYI, the flash hider was so tight I had to cut it off", and the tech was just trying to verify that it left Armalite as an assembled rifle and said "yup, it was made X date and went to Y distributor. I'll forward the concern to our assemblers".

Most manufacturers can look up production date and where it went in a few seconds. Whether or not they'll tell you is another story.

Ehtereon11B
February 19, 2013, 09:44 AM
I fired a handgun that my ex's grandfather had in his nightstand for the past 20 years. That gun was discontinued in the 70s. I loved it when he asked me to test fire it to make sure it still works. I wanted it and thought I would never find one after I moved cross country. I asked a LGS to keep an eye out for one, and he ordered it for me from another FFL within a few months. If you are that opposed to using an online retailer, give your local FFL a headsup.

BSA1
February 19, 2013, 11:09 AM
Since you want to avoid purchasing online it seems that traveling to different communities and states to personally look at the gun before buying it seems very expensive and, as you already noted, time consuming.

Bear in mind that you may have to go through a FFL licensed dealer to complete the transaction. Posting a WTB ad on this and other forums may help you in your search. Good Luck!

If you enjoyed reading about "Finding a discontinued firearm" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!