Higher capacity for a Sig 229

PDA

Herman Jacobs
February 18, 2013, 12:34 PM
Hi guys i wonder if you can help me, i have an early West German model Sig P229 with a 13 Round mag capacity which i want to up to 15 or more. Which reputable manufacturers can i look at most important that will have stock- it seems that availability is allways a problem especially from where i sit in South Africa.

If you enjoyed reading about "Higher capacity for a Sig 229" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Bovice
February 18, 2013, 01:42 PM
Mec-Gar will have everything you need. Might not be in stock but that's where you'll need to go.

Telekinesis
February 18, 2013, 02:19 PM
I'll second Mec-Gar. I purchased several flush fit 15 round mags for my P228 and haven't had any issues at all. IIRC Mec-Gar is an OEM mag supplier for several firearm manufacturers, so you're not looking at a junk mag. I'm not sure where you'll be able to find them in South Africa though. You might want to look into using Sig 226 mags with a baseplate that covers the gap between the bottom of the gun and mag.

Sam Cade
February 18, 2013, 02:58 PM
IIRC Mec-Gar is an OEM mag supplier for several firearm manufacturers, so you're not looking at a junk mag.

Including SIG-Sauer TTBOMK.

wgsigs
February 18, 2013, 09:09 PM
EDIT: Herman Jacobs, you can probably ignore my entire post. I just noticed that you are in South Africa so what I said about German-made P229s probably doesn't apply. Mec-Gar is in Italy so that might be of some help to you if you can buy directly. :o

I don't believe that your early P229 is West German, especially if it takes the 13rd mags. Your gun probably has a frame made in Germany with triple matching serial numbers on the frame, slide, and barrel, but no German proof marks, which is the key determinate to a German made gun. There was a small batch of German-made 9mm P229s imported about a year or two ago, however.

Regardless, Mec-Gar makes some of the Sig branded OEM mags and their equivalent to the Sig 13rd mag holds 15rds with a different follower and spring. It is also available in nickel. Mec-Gar also makes an 18rd mag with the addition of a +3 thicker adapter base. You can usually pick them up at a good price from Top Gun Supply and Greg Cote, but they are currently both out. Unfortunately supply comes randomly and sells out quickly when word gets around. The equivalent Sig branded 18rd mags cost almost $20 more for basically the same mag. CDNN also carries them but usually at a slightly higher price. Hope I didn't violate any forum rules. :uhoh:

If you enjoyed reading about "Higher capacity for a Sig 229" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!