Conceal Question?

PDA

Airbrush Artist
February 18, 2013, 06:11 PM
This might well be The Stoopid question of the day but here Goes.Are IWB Holsters considered to be the definition Of Conceal & Carry? or can Conceal be considered a Outside the waist band Holster covered up with lets say a Untucked Shirt covering The Firearm or bulky sweatshirt or a past the belt line Jacket?

If you enjoyed reading about "Conceal Question?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Jorg Nysgerrig
February 18, 2013, 06:15 PM
Depends on your jurisdiction. A typical requirement is for the weapon is to be not "readily observable" or not "readily identifiable".

The holster type really doesn't come into play as much as how the cover garment conceals the weapon. If you've covered it up, it's likely considered concealed.

M-Cameron
February 18, 2013, 08:23 PM
i carry concealed with an OWB holster all the time...usually keep it covered with a shirt or a coat....never had any issues.

so long as the gun is reasonably concealed....they typically dont care how you choose to carry it.

MedWheeler
February 18, 2013, 09:02 PM
Florida only requires that it be "concealed from the ordinary sight of another person." The statute (which also allows for brief, non-threatening open displays of a normally-concealed firearm) does not say in what manner the firearm must be concealed. In fact, I've carried it openly within my vehicle, worn OWB on my left (strong) side, with the vehicle's structure concealing it "from the ordinary sight of another person."
Once I get where I'm going, in those cases, my cover garment goes on.

I'm pretty sure there are at least a few jurisdictions that at least require the use of a holster, and some may even require it have a retention feature.

markallen
February 18, 2013, 09:10 PM
In the waistband, pocket, or out of the waistband,with a covering coat or shirt. It makes no difference in Ohio.
Ohio has open carry as well as CHL, so printing isn't an issue. But that doesn't mean I would half way cover up and hope nobody sees it.
I carry a compact 1911 OWB with a cover shirt or coat. If the wind blows my cover open or the lower part of the holster shows when I reach for something on the top shelf I don't
worry about it as long as where I 'm at isn't posted.
Most of the sheep you encounter won't even pay attention anyways.

Airbrush Artist
February 18, 2013, 09:45 PM
Thank You Gents...

gbran
February 18, 2013, 09:50 PM
I must be built wrong. No matter what I wear or how hard I try, I just can't comfortably carry in an IWB holster.

Byrd666
February 18, 2013, 10:02 PM
I carry with an OWB everyday. Whether it be with my CZ 83 in a between the pants and belt holster, or my Ruger SR9 in a strictly OWB belt holster. And I will shortly be carrying my M&P c9 in an OWB between the pant and belt holster. I normally carry with an un-tucked shirt, whether it be a t-shirt or a heavy work shirt. So no, the IWB is not the only way to go.

chris in va
February 18, 2013, 10:27 PM
The question is moot. Ohio has open carry as well.

Ehtereon11B
February 19, 2013, 08:31 AM
The question is moot. Ohio has open carry as well.

Whether or not a state allows open carry is irrelevant. Open carry is legal in Alabama but people rarely open carry here. It is about preference.

OWB holsters have always been more comfortable for me but not very concealable. IWB is a compromise for me since I don't always want to wear a jacket or surpersized shirt to cover a OWB holster. The only time I use my OWB holsters are range practice and trails. Otherwise its all IWB.

If you enjoyed reading about "Conceal Question?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!