$352.77 + shipping for 2 boxes of 22 ammo.

PDA

SaxonPig
February 19, 2013, 11:24 AM
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=330023415

I bet the bidders THOUGHT they were going after all 10 boxes pictured. Bad idea to not picture EXACTLY what is being offered.

If you enjoyed reading about "$352.77 + shipping for 2 boxes of 22 ammo." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
steveno
February 19, 2013, 11:35 AM
I wonder how many misfires there will be considering it is Remington ammo?

Snowdog
February 19, 2013, 11:44 AM
The 5000 rounds of Blazer I offered on GB last month sold for $590 with shipping included, so demand is indeed quite high. However, I agree with your theory that people thought they were bidding on all the boxes.

Akita1
February 19, 2013, 11:48 AM
That's pretty much the going rate on GB for .22LR these days (~$.35/round). Abandon all hope, ye who enter GB for ammo these days…buyer beware - read the description before you bid!

nathan
February 19, 2013, 11:48 AM
Wow, amazing ! The Prices are so outrageous even .22 LRs. I sold 500 rds of Winchester Super x for $70 a month ago. Now its double that.

berettaprofessor
February 19, 2013, 01:59 PM
I wonder how many misfires there will be considering it is Remington ammo?

About 997 of them. :evil:

JohnnyK
February 19, 2013, 02:11 PM
thats crazy... ive seen .10/round as average... on gunbroker.... run on ar-15 seems to be slowing... now ammo... is getting crazy(er)...

22-rimfire
February 19, 2013, 02:24 PM
Those prices make a guy want to sell off some of my cache. I suspect that is fairly good Remington 22 ammo. But then, I haven't bought any Remington in the last year other than a few bulk packs, standard velocity stuff, and a few other things. The "new and improved" isn't bad.

mrvco
February 19, 2013, 02:42 PM
What are people doing with 22LR that makes it so valuable to them? Are squirrels a new culinary delicacy or is this just so they can do some seriously expensive plinking?

I found a 550-round value pack of Federal 22LR in my closet last week that I had forgotten about... I didn't think it would be worth the bother, but I might just list it on Gunbroker now.

22-rimfire
February 19, 2013, 02:48 PM
Mrvco, I have the same feelings at this point about the value. It reminds me of smokers... would they pay $25 for a pack of cigs? Probably. But I bet they wouldn't smoke them like they used to. If you are totally out of 22 rimfire ammunition and you shoot at least occasionally, I could see spending a little extra just to have a little on hand. It would be a one-time purchase that would provide you with some comfort until supplies get back to normal.

The ammunition shortage should give law makers some pause for consideration IF they were to tax ammunition sales heavily or make it so difficult to purchase ammunition in the future. People are going to get their hands on some one way or the other to at least provide them with some comfort that they could do some shooting if they chose to.

I have quite a bit of 22 rimfire ammunition right now on hand. The shortage has affected my desire to shoot any of it up unless there is a good reason to do so. Kind of stupid considering I could shoot 500 rounds a week for a couple years and not see any shortage.

Walkalong
February 19, 2013, 03:00 PM
Heading:1000 rds REMINGTON 22 LR 22lr 10/22 AMMO 2 Bricks

Description: this auction is for 2 bricks or 1000 rounds

If the buyer gets less than 1000 rounds, they are going to be pissed. Hopefully the high bidder communicated with the seller to be sure of what they were getting.

nelsonal
February 19, 2013, 04:28 PM
This reminds me of when the X-Box 360 was new and people were selling an "X-Box Box" then in the description it would clearly state something like " you are not getting the system just the empty box" though the statement would generally be the size of description text (much smaller than the title).

As to .22 demand, the only think I can think of is with common handgun rounds out of stock, .22 becomes a substitute for many.

walt501
February 19, 2013, 04:36 PM
I've been thinking that perhaps it is time for online sites such as GunBroker to suspend ammo sales. The way I see it, ammo is being bought at retail for the sole purpose of reselling it for profit on the online sites. I'm all for free market capitalism, but the current situation is making it very difficult for a person who just wants to pick up a few rounds locally for a day at the range.

tomrkba
February 19, 2013, 04:43 PM
Some places are not gouging; all they're doing is limiting the number of rounds one can buy in a day.

Poper
February 19, 2013, 04:52 PM
I'm all for free market capitalism, but the current situation is making it very difficult for a person who just wants to pick up a few rounds locally for a day at the range.Something is only worth what somebody is willing to pay for it. Right about now it appears some people may have lost their minds.

Poper

mgkdrgn
February 19, 2013, 06:51 PM

I bet the bidders THOUGHT they were going after all 10 boxes pictured. Bad idea to not picture EXACTLY what is being offered.

"this auction is for 2 bricks or 1000 rounds,"

MachIVshooter
February 19, 2013, 06:53 PM
I won't even pay $0.35/rd for 9mm. This is crazy.

I paid $50 for a brick of CCI mini-mags last month because a new rifle wouldn't shoot for beans with the Federal and Winchester stuff I had stockpiled, but mini mags are expensive anyway, ~$8/100 before the panic, so I didn't feel the $10/100 was out of line.

But $175 for a brick of Remington Golden Bullet??? I didn't even pay that for a 6,300 round case of it (12 x 525) not that long ago ($140, IIRC).

Carl N. Brown
February 19, 2013, 07:41 PM
Let's see. My strategic reserve is 16 100 round boxes .22lr in a GI ammo can. (Cycled most recent freshest ammo purchased put in the reserve, the older brought out for current use.) The older .22lr ammo more ready for use about 1,200 rounds. Wow. At 0.35 per round that's $980.00 on gunbroker planet. At $6 a box of 100 I paid for Win SuperX at WallyWorld in Kingsport, that was $168.00.

Panic buying creates temporary shortage which drives up asking prices. I decided to keep a strategic research in the 1980s when the antis were talking about prohibitory sin taxes on ammo. It has actually worked out nice for me.

parsimonious_instead
February 19, 2013, 07:54 PM
I ask myself, "Self, what would I buy if I sold some of my ammo for a profit?"
Self replies: "Ammo"

I think, therefore I sit (on my ammo).

jerkface11
February 19, 2013, 07:57 PM
Why would you pay $352 for 1000 rounds of .22 ammo?

sixgunner455
February 19, 2013, 08:04 PM
Wow. I bought a brick of SK Standard Plus for $60, and thought I was spending a little much.

JohnM
February 19, 2013, 08:08 PM
Absurd. A fool and his money ------------------

powderx
February 19, 2013, 08:14 PM
Wow, lots of hard-up folks out there!

Twmaster
February 19, 2013, 08:21 PM
Fools and their money shall soon be parted.

Reminds me of the PMAG scare where 10 packs were recently selling for more than $900 on GB.

Fools.

jerkface11
February 19, 2013, 08:24 PM
I never figured out the magazine thing. P-mags went up but USGI mags didn't.

MachIVshooter
February 19, 2013, 08:39 PM
I never figured out the magazine thing. P-mags went up but USGI mags didn't.

Oh, yes they did. Just not as much.

Pre-panic, I could buy used USGI mags for $6/ea. Think you can find that price now? I doubt you'll touch one in useable condition for under $20.

3GunEric
February 19, 2013, 08:43 PM
P-Mags are better than USGI and far less common (newer) - that is why they spiked. I like both but prefer P-Mags for competitions.

plodder
February 19, 2013, 08:44 PM
Wow, that's more than double what I'm shooting .223 for right now. Of course, when I run out of my judiciously stockpiled powder, primer and boolit stash I'll be whining like a whipped pup! (in about 1-2 years :neener:) Having experienced a previous scare or two I made hay on building inventory in Oct.-Nov. If & When things get back to a little more reasonable supply/demand balance I will be doubling down.

Torian
February 19, 2013, 08:47 PM
I still buy guns on gunbroker, but I haven't bought ammo on there since we left behind the days of buying mil surplus SS109 loads for .10 a round.

Just the thought of ammo that cheap makes me want to cry!

vtail
February 19, 2013, 08:54 PM
I'd love to be a fly on the wall when he opens up his box and then actually reads the auction description.

KingMedicine
February 19, 2013, 08:56 PM
Holy crap. I guess I was lucky as sin to get a box of automatch federal today for 17 bucks.

Spymaster
February 19, 2013, 08:57 PM
Wow, amazing ! The Prices are so outrageous even .22 LRs. I sold 500 rds of Winchester Super x for $70 a month ago. Now its double that.
There is nothing outrageous about it, you are getting a hard lesson in economics, specifically the economic law of supply v demand. To be blunt, I am ashamed to see so many young Americans so thoroughly inculcated into the marxist economic platform.

You haven't seen anything yet, with the marxists in charge, its inevitible that our economy is going to implode, and a good 80% of the populace is totally apathetic toward this, soon enough you'll think of the above prices as the good old days.

Rembrandt
February 19, 2013, 09:20 PM
Think things are bad now?.......wait till Cabela's and Bass-Pro begin stocking shelves with 10 round packages of .22 rimfire. Don't laugh, when I was a kid shotgun slugs were sold in boxes of 25 rounds.......today they're sold 5 per package.

GBExpat
February 19, 2013, 09:22 PM
Why would you pay $352 for 1000 rounds of .22 ammo?The Winning Bidder has more dollars than sense, perhaps? :)

coloradokevin
February 19, 2013, 09:27 PM
I've always been against gouging, but if anyone is that stupid or desperate they deserve it.

I've got two boxes of that ammo (actually .22 shorts) sitting here in plastic wrap. New from the store on 08/15/12. Might have to see if I can get these sold for $300!

Trent
February 19, 2013, 10:04 PM
Good grief, people are paying MORE for frigging 22 LR than I paid for the last case of 223 I bought.

That's insane.

oneounceload
February 19, 2013, 10:11 PM
Last time I bought Remington 22 (all of which has worked just fine), I paid $95 for a case. That's a case of 6,250 rounds for $95. or .0152/each - about what they were worth to me. No way will I pay that much per round when it is non-reloadable

Husker_Fan
February 19, 2013, 10:26 PM
The law of supply and demand is predicated on the idea of market participants having appropriate knowledge. Clearly there is a lot of stupid going on.

ApacheCoTodd
February 19, 2013, 10:27 PM
Yikes! Over .35 cents per round?:what:
I've got LC Match .308 bought relatively recently that I didn't come near to that number in buying - the times, they indeed are a changin'.

Jim Mac
February 19, 2013, 11:39 PM
I think Im going about this all wrong. I was cleaning out the closet the other night and came across about 2000 rounds of .22 I forgot about. Offered 3 550 round bulk packs for 40 bucks each and sold them in about a hour. I did keep my own reserve pile of over 2000 rounds, but since I really dont shoot very often I bet these rounds will last me for the next 10 years or so. jim

Ignition Override
February 19, 2013, 11:45 PM
For $9-10/box, they could have bought three Small boxes of 7.62x39 last week at Bullseye gun shop, in West Little Rock.

mrvco
February 20, 2013, 12:04 AM
Tonight I ordered 1,000 9MM 115g FMJ's for $289 delivered. Still pricey compared to pre-panic, but cheaper than that 22LR :D

bannockburn
February 20, 2013, 11:43 AM
Wow...over $350 for 1000 rounds of Remington GB! That makes the 300 rounds of CCI MiniMags I found at Walmart the other day (for under $25), the bargain of the century.

MachIVshooter
February 20, 2013, 11:58 AM
Good grief, people are paying MORE for frigging 22 LR than I paid for the last case of 223 I bought.

I know. I was less that that after shipping on a case of PMC bronze in Nov.

desidog
February 20, 2013, 06:01 PM
1 out of 3 pictures may be deceiving, but the title of the auction is clear enough.

Funny, this thread reminded me of SaxonPig's Single-round-of-.45ACP auction a while back.... Then i saw this threads' original poster.

Grunt
February 20, 2013, 06:30 PM
Well, if this guy didn't pay attention to what he was buying, that's his problem. Misleading pictures or not, here in America we read from top to bottom , left to right. He might want to try that sometime by reading the description, eh? As far as the prices that people are willing to pay, yup, totally insane as far as I'm concerned. I just cast up a bunch of .357 bullets with some old wheel weights I picked up for free several years ago and primed my old cases with primers that were $1.79 again from years ago that I happened to have stashed away. I think the bottle of Unique I still had around was something like $17 but even at today's prices, 4 grains per round is still pretty economical. Now we look at this guy spending $0.35 per round for .22LR, I sat down and penciled it out and even with wheel weights going to $1.60 per pound, primers I have seen here at $3.50 per hundred and Unique going for something like $20 per pound, even if I didn't stock up years ago and had to buy all the components new, I am still looking at $0.082 per round to reload my old cases. LOL, a little over 8 cents per round for a larger, more powerful .38 Special reload versus 35 cents per round of non-reloadable .22LR! :banghead:

lionking
February 20, 2013, 11:59 PM
Maybe we really are what is described as a "gun culture". Because free market aside there is something wrong with people when they spend that kind of money on something like that meaning ammo and especially .22.

It approaches to being like someone who is a addict to pay that kind of money and it makes me wonder how naive or gullible or plain stupid they are that they can't shop around. It also makes me wonder if shill bidding to drive up false demand is happening. And for the comment of cigarettes, I smoke and no I wouldn't pay $25 for a pack I'd quit smoking just like I have given up shooting for the meantime.

Spymaster
February 21, 2013, 01:39 AM
The Winning Bidder has more dollars than sense, perhaps? :)
Thats one way to look at things, another way is that you are now forever removed from the marketplace, due to your inability to economically pursue it!

I see a lot of folks around here making derogatory remarks about other people, and what they are either selling or buying, and of course their corresponding price points. Everyone of them are missing the bigger picture, which is that you have been removed from the economy, perhaps voluntarily for now, but if prices remain elevating, many of you will simply be unable to participate in it, period!

That won't be a consequence of the wealthy wasting their money, as you wise pontificators seem so enthralled by, but rather because they can afford what you cannot.

dampoo
February 21, 2013, 02:06 AM
I wonder if flounder57 put in a high max bid thinking 10 cartons. When these other two beginners (only a few purchases) just came up against the auto bids thinking someone was outbidding them manually. If someone thinks they are being out bid then it must be worth that much.

nwilliams
February 21, 2013, 02:16 AM
We currently have 375 round packs of CCI Mini Mag for sale at the gun shop I work at for about $30 a pack.

We had 75,000 rounds in total come in about a week ago and as of today we have about about $5,000 rounds left in stock. The really sad part is that we limit customers to one pack per of 375 rounds day, that's how insane the demand is right now!

GBExpat
February 21, 2013, 08:56 AM
Originally Posted by GBExpat View Post
The Winning Bidder has more dollars than sense, perhaps?:)
Thats one way to look at things, another way is that you are now forever removed from the marketplace, due to your inability to economically pursue it!

I see a lot of folks around here making derogatory remarks about other people, and what they are either selling or buying, and of course their corresponding price points. Everyone of them are missing the bigger picture, which is that you have been removed from the economy, perhaps voluntarily for now, but if prices remain elevating, many of you will simply be unable to participate in it, period!

That won't be a consequence of the wealthy wasting their money, as you wise pontificators seem so enthralled by, but rather because they can afford what you cannot.

Good points and well stated, but ...

Blah, Blah, Blah ... the guy spent $352.77 + shipping, over 35 per round, for 1000 rounds of .22RF ammo which is MUCH higher than current market prices. As Bugs Bunny might say, "What a maroon!" Hahahaha :D

huntsman
February 21, 2013, 10:47 AM
What are people doing with 22LR that makes it so valuable to them?
Maybe the gospel of Gunkid is finally catching on. ;)

jrdolall
February 21, 2013, 11:24 AM
We shoot far more .22 than any other round. Kids, newbies and I can send a lot of ammo down range for a decent price. We have been known to go through 2k rounds in a long weekend.

I bought several bricks online in December when I realized it was gone from local stores but as the weather gets nicer we may blow through my supply by summer. I will try to pick up what I can locally but won't be paying really high prices. I will just be out.

justice06rr
February 22, 2013, 02:00 AM
I get the impression that if you go buy anything on GunBroker, you are either stupid or desperate.

its understandable that 22lr is almost impossible to find these days, but people need to be patient and not feed these gougers.

coloradokevin
February 22, 2013, 04:10 AM
I guess that's my point: patience!

When the last gun in this country is banned, we might see .22lr ammo disappear. But, until such a time, this is probably the most widely available and politically insensitive ammo on earth. Sure, it's hard to come by at the moment. But, we all know (or we all should know) that it will be back on the shelves again in the not too distant future.

Does it suck that things are so hard to find right now? Yeah, it sure does. But, I'd rather sit on the sidelines for a couple of months than spend $0.35/round for .22lr plinking ammunition. That's about what I pay to handload match-grade ammunition for my .308... at that price I'll just shoot the big gun.

I really do understand the skyrocketing demand for anything black, tacticool, Pmag-ish, or AR-ish at the moment. Nationwide these are the items that are under the scrutiny of gun-grabbing politicians, and these items could become a lot more scarce in the next year or so. But, .22lr ammunition isn't going anywhere in the foreseeable future.

natman
February 22, 2013, 04:35 AM

What are you talking about? It clearly states in the auction:

1000 rds REMINGTON 22 LR 22lr 10/22 AMMO 2 Bricks

this auction is for 2 bricks or 1000 rounds

It's for 2 BRICKS of 500 rounds each (10 boxes) for a total of 1000 rounds.

2 Bricks x 10 boxes/brick x 50 rounds/box = 1,000 rounds

SaxonPig
February 22, 2013, 09:24 AM
Yes, the text says 2 boxes. But most people go by what they see before they bother to read. I would bet a dollar the two guys who bid it up thought they were getting all 10 boxes that are pictured. As a seller, I would not picture anything other than exactly what was being offered.

GBExpat
February 22, 2013, 11:10 AM
SaxonPig, I think there is a very good chance that you are correct.

natman
February 22, 2013, 01:40 PM
Yes, the text says 2 boxes. But most people go by what they see before they bother to read. I would bet a dollar the two guys who bid it up thought they were getting all 10 boxes that are pictured. As a seller, I would not picture anything other than exactly what was being offered.
The text says 2 BRICKS - BRICKS of 500 rounds, not boxes of 50.

Now I'll grant you there is one picture in there of ten BRICKS stacked up, but the title and the text clearly state how many rounds and how many bricks are on auction.

CZguy
February 22, 2013, 05:21 PM
Now I'll grant you there is one picture in there of ten BRICKS stacked up, but the title and the text clearly state how many rounds and how many bricks are on auction.

I'll agree you that your position would hold up in court. It is however, misleading.

If you enjoyed reading about "$352.77 + shipping for 2 boxes of 22 ammo." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!