magazine rattles....

PDA

SSN Vet
February 19, 2013, 11:25 AM
The more I shoot my BHP, the more I like it :)

The ergonomics (with Navidrex slim grips), the size and weight, the trigger (which has see the attention of a gunsmith) and it's accuracy in my hands, all add up to make it my favoirte 9mm.

And in a formed leather pancake holster hanging off of a quality belt, it's really an easy carry.

But..... I have one problem....

When the magazine latches into the mag. well and the top round is slightly compressed, it somehow frees up the bullets further down in the mag to rattle around. So much so, that when I walk, I hear a distinct clicky-click with every stride.

Mags are stock 13 round Browning mags that came with the pistol NIB.

I'd like to carry the piece a lot more, but feel like I'm audibly "printing" when I do.

Any tips or advice?

If you enjoyed reading about "magazine rattles...." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rcmodel
February 19, 2013, 11:29 AM
Whacking the back of the loaded mag on your boot heel to settle the rounds & compressed spring sometimes stops it.

rc

Bovice
February 19, 2013, 11:43 AM
Is your mag fully loaded?

My 229 mags will rattle if they aren't fully loaded, it's a known "issue". Tapping against the back of the mag pushes the rounds to the rear, but doesn't stop the rattle. It's a tolerance stack thing, I'm guessing.

SSN Vet
February 19, 2013, 11:48 AM
Does it when mag is fully loaded or partially loaded...

I always do the palm smack routine to ensure rounds are all fully seated in the rearmost position.

I can load the mag and get a little rattle.... but when I push the top round down and release it, it seams to get them all lined up and bearing on their neighbors properly.

But no matter whether the mag is fully or partially loaded, when I seat it in the mag well, the top round is pushed down slightly and it then allows all of it's buddies underneath to get the wiggles.

Bovice
February 19, 2013, 12:02 PM
Mine sound like stilettos across a wood floor, how loud are yours?

ku4hx
February 19, 2013, 04:09 PM
My BHP's magazine rattle was the reason I developed the "palm slap" habit many decades ago. Some still rattle but if they work as they should I don't listen.

And old age does have it's advantages. I can't jump around well enough to make the cartridges dance too.

USAF_Vet
February 19, 2013, 07:22 PM
the 12 round mag on my S&W 469 does the same thing. Load 12, its fine. Chamber one, it rattles. So I load 12, chamber one, and top off off to eliminate the rattle.

Dr.Rob
February 19, 2013, 07:32 PM
My aftermarket Ramline 15 shot mag does that. My Mecgars and Promags don't.

Carter
February 19, 2013, 10:34 PM
My CZ factory mags rattle.

Ehtereon11B
February 20, 2013, 12:27 AM
My mags for XD45 does the exact same thing. It is normal since not all the rounds in the magazine can be under pressure at once, especially true if the mag is fully loaded. Doesn't effect the functioning or anything. My rattle isn't all that loud and I only notice it when I shake the mag outside the firearm.

SSN Vet
February 20, 2013, 09:56 AM
Mine sound like stilettos across a wood floor, how loud are yours?

about the same.... definately noticeable....

I have very good hearing.... but I can't think this isn't noticeable to others. Most who notice it would think I had change in my pocket, I guess.

If you look at my other recent thread, I'm attempting to make a pair of Brazilian contract mags work, so I purchased a follower from Numrich. I was a little tentative about this, as they don't show a picture of what you get on line.... but they are the ONLY place I could find that will sell a follower seperately. Turns out that they are the older solid aluminum style. So I'll be playing around to see what type of configuration I can come up with.

Mr. Trashcan
February 20, 2013, 01:14 PM
There's a YouTube video posted of someone solving this problem in a Kel-Tec magazine. (Just as aside--I'm tired of Kel-Tec being constantly singled out when clearly other makes suffer the same probs). If there are indicator holes in the mag, press a pencil or rod into the hole to push and seat the bullets. I've always used the hole farthest down where there are bullets--never tried holes farther up.

Jaywalker
February 20, 2013, 09:29 PM
I bought some magazines for my BHP that rattled. Got rid of them and use some that don't.

Bovice
February 21, 2013, 07:58 PM
SIG .40/357 mags for the 229 do that, but it hasn't affected how they work so it's ok.

If you enjoyed reading about "magazine rattles...." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!