Beretta 92FS worth getting?

PDA

TX Plinker
February 19, 2013, 04:15 PM
I've recently come upon a rather good bargain. A Beretta 92FS(unfired!) with five 15 round magazines for 660.00 dollars. I've never shot/used a Beretta before and am curious as to how they perform.

If you enjoyed reading about "Beretta 92FS worth getting?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
miles1
February 19, 2013, 05:28 PM
I had one several years ago.Never had a problem with it.Shot maybe 400 rounds thru mine before I used it for trade bait.

Gunpoor
February 19, 2013, 05:35 PM
If you want a steel framed semi it will run like a scalded monkey. Other than a little heavy they shoot like a dream.

JTQ
February 19, 2013, 05:55 PM
If you want a steel framed semi...
Most Beretta 92FS are aluminum framed.

TX Plinker
February 19, 2013, 05:57 PM
Glad to hear, I want because they used the Berettas in the Resident Evil games. Not to mention our military uses them. I heard they don't have much recoil due to the steel frame

CWL
February 19, 2013, 06:21 PM
Beautiful bit of engineering, but mine never fit my hands. Couldn't hit Minute of Barn Door while friends could cut cloverleafs with it. Eventually sold mine.

You should try shooting it first (or at least a rental) to see if it'll fit your hands.

MRH
February 19, 2013, 06:22 PM
Go for it! Decent price too.

If you have medium to large hands and want a full sized 9mm, it would be hard to beat.

I had one for a while, but just didn't have a need or desire for more than one full sized duty type gun. Besides, after using a CZ75 for a while, I just couldn't get turned on by the 92.

chris in va
February 19, 2013, 06:39 PM
.Glad to hear, I want because they used the Berettas in the Resident Evil games. Not to mention our military uses them. I heard they don't have much recoil due to the steel frame

I don't know where to begin.

Biting my tongue, all I will say is the frame is ALUMINUM, not steel.

tarosean
February 19, 2013, 06:47 PM
I like em but they are not for everyone, as they are large.

tuj
February 19, 2013, 07:30 PM
Some people really like them. If it fits your hand, then go for it. But make sure you hold it and dry-fire it in DA and SA modes first...the DA trigger on the example I shot was terrible.

KAS1981
February 19, 2013, 07:52 PM
That's an OK deal. They normally go for around $650 new, so with the extra mags you're doing alright.

I like mine a lot. I have small hands but it still fits me & handles just fine.

Very soft shooting (the frame is aluminum BTW). More so than my Glock 17.

mgmorden
February 19, 2013, 08:06 PM
The steel frame is awesome!!!

I keed, I keed. Like they mentioned, the frame on the Beretta is an aluminum alloy (I hate when they just put "alloy". Steel itself is an alloy . . .).

Anyways, its an ok deal. I'm not a huge fan of the Beretta but they're interesting from the standpoint of it being the sidearm of our military (which is why I'll keep mine). Aside from that novelty aspect though there are better guns for less money IMHO.

HKGuns
February 19, 2013, 08:09 PM
Oh heck yes. Buy it.

dfsixstring
February 19, 2013, 08:19 PM
Buds gun shop price today NIB:
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/mobile/product/39954/beretta_92fs_9mm_15rd_bl_italy

Dfsixstring
SR9c
LCP
RST4S

dfsixstring
February 19, 2013, 08:20 PM
Btw - the 92FS will be my next purchase.

Dfsixstring
SR9c
LCP
RST4S

C0untZer0
February 19, 2013, 08:44 PM
Because of Resident Evil ?

Torian
February 19, 2013, 08:46 PM
Not a fan, but maybe I'm biased. Used a Beretta in the Army for years, and I'd take just about any gun in the world aside from it. I'd rather have a revolver! 1911, SIG, Glock, Browning HP, anything but the 92.

I've had more jams shooting Berettas than all other handguns combined that I've shot. Decent weapon, until you get a little dirty and grime in it...then it turns to ****. I've primarily used it in Iraq, Afghanistan, Arizona, and Texas...all dusty environments...it doesn't take well to them.

My Browning HP on the other hand has never jammed...ONCE! God Bless you John Browning.

Ok, rant over.

lpsharp88
February 19, 2013, 08:57 PM
The Beretta is an excellent weapon. Pretty accurate, never had one jam, light recoil, but it is pretty large. It is on my short list of weapons to purchase.

hAkron
February 19, 2013, 09:35 PM
$660 seems like a lot.

gunnutery
February 19, 2013, 11:38 PM
hAkron, probably because it is. This whole panic thing has really screwed up my sense of gun prices. Before the panic set in, I would've thought a Beretta 92FS would've gone for about $550, maybe $600.

OP, though I'm stuck on the old price system, the Beretta 92FS IS a great gun. They're built like tanks and are really smooth shooters.

fanchisimo
February 20, 2013, 12:04 AM
I love mine. I'm pretty accurate with it too. On my ccw qual I put all 20 shots into the smallest circle of the target @ 7 yds. Well minus 2 in the head just for kicks. I'm with hAKron and gunnuttery in that $660 sounds like a lot.

el Godfather
February 20, 2013, 12:15 AM
Why the heck not.
You are getting decent price. Although i personally prefer 92Inox or 92 Combat Combo.
Shoot the snot out of it and if you do not like sell it out.

holdencm9
February 20, 2013, 12:54 AM
$660 seems a bit high, I have seen them at stores for $549-599, but that was pre-panic. And i guess you are getting 3 additional mags with it, that typically sell for $25-40. So I say go for it. I love my 92FS.

Zardaia
February 20, 2013, 01:08 AM
Not a fan, but maybe I'm biased. Used a Beretta in the Army for years, and I'd take just about any gun in the world aside from it. I'd rather have a revolver! 1911, SIG, Glock, Browning HP, anything but the 92.

I've had more jams shooting Berettas than all other handguns combined that I've shot. Decent weapon, until you get a little dirty and grime in it...then it turns to ****. I've primarily used it in Iraq, Afghanistan, Arizona, and Texas...all dusty environments...it doesn't take well to them.

My Browning HP on the other hand has never jammed...ONCE! God Bless you John Browning.

Ok, rant over.
Also not a fan, carried m9 for nine years as AF cop. I've had it jam up solid during training. Also got back from the field one day to find the slide release had fallen off entirely. Shoots ok, but I don't care for DA/SA action. I can shoot any of my personal full sizes better than the berreta, gimme a 1911 and I'd have gotten my pistol ribbon but not with berreta. For those that are saying "our millitary uses them" please don't think that's an automatic plus. It's only a sidearm and won the contract decades ago, they're just too cheap/broke to buy somthing better for standard issue.

fanchisimo
February 20, 2013, 01:44 AM
The only times I hear of the Beretta 92 family having issues is in the military, with the pistols having gone no telling how many rounds, in various ungodly conditions. Personally, my M9 never had a hiccup and always got me an expert rating. However, OP, since you are very unlikely to put them through this kind of torture test and round count, you will not be disappointed.

RetiredUSNChief
February 20, 2013, 02:21 AM
A darn good deal!

I've owned my Beretta 92FS for more than two decades and never had a problem with it.

If you like the feel and how it shoots, this is an awesome deal. I say go for it!

Madcap_Magician
February 20, 2013, 10:57 AM
Beretta did fix the locking block issues and the sand-jammed mag issues with the 92A1. Not sure what they coated the mags with, but literally nothing seems to stick to them. Love my 92A1.

tarosean
February 20, 2013, 11:47 AM
Because of Resident Evil ?

I dont think it matters what got him/her interested.. Just the fact that we can welcome a new responsible shooter to the fold. A lot of the younger generation where brought up on video games, etc. hence their draw to guns in games.

My first rifle purchase was a 336 because it looked similar enough to The Riflemans 1892. Same premise, just different generations.

Ive owned 92's in one form of fashion since the 80's. I still own 3 versions, and one of my favorite pistols that I own is a compact. Just slightly smaller yet makes a huge difference.

fpgt72
February 20, 2013, 11:48 AM
I have also had mine for about 20 years, and god only knows how many rounds I have put in it. I have also not taken the best care of it....not cleaning after every outing and things like that.

It is still the most reliable gun I own.

minutemen1776
February 20, 2013, 12:29 PM
I dont think it matters what got him/her interested.. Just the fact that we can welcome a new responsible shooter to the fold.

tarosean, good points. I don't get the condescending attitude that often follows a young shooter's candid explanation that he is drawn to a particular firearm because he saw it in a video game. Ultimately, what's best for a shooter is learned through experience and exposure to several different firearms, but there's nothing wrong with being drawn to shooting sports through various types of entertainment. How many guys bought a single-action revolver or lever-action rifle because of Western movies? How many bought a 1911 because of WW2 movies? Specific to the Beretta 92, how many bought them in the '80s because Mel Gibson used one in Lethal Weapon?

BigBore44
February 20, 2013, 12:48 PM
Welcome to the real world of the firearms. And i mean that. Welcome. The 92 is Very easy to disassemble and clean. Mine was extremely accurate. $660 is a little steep. My advice is pick one up and try it. There will be a ton of people on here rave about a 1911. And I can not dispute they are fine weapons. But I can NOT shoot one to save my soul. But put my XD 45 in my hand and I can hit human steel silhouettes at 85 yards all day long. It just fits my hand perfectly.

Translation.... You have to get what works for you.

P.S. Talked a friend of mine into building the exact gun off Resident Evil. I'm not a gamer. Never owned anything past the original Nintendo. But when he showed me the gun he told me he wanted to build an airsoft version. I used my powers of suggestion and reason to convince him to build a real one and man it is one SWEET looking gun.

cja245
February 20, 2013, 12:49 PM
They are definitely a quality piece

But the trigger is kind of terrible and the grip feels somewhat like holding a summer sausage to me. Just my opinion.

The good part of that deal is the 5 magazines. That's got to be worth a small fortune right now.

BP Hunter
February 20, 2013, 01:05 PM
My local gunstore sells a brand new one, made in Italy, for only $608. It looked very intersting, but after shooting my CZ75, I don't feel I need another full sized steel (aluminum) framed pistol. Otherwise, it is an excellent gun.

Russ Jackson
February 20, 2013, 01:12 PM
YES!

returningfire
February 20, 2013, 03:14 PM
If the price is OK for you, buy it. You really can't go wrong with this Beretta, it will hold it's value, unless you beat it up, and shoots like it means it. I have had several Berettas and still have three, with no more maintenance issues than with any other quality firearm. Will give you years of pleasure.:D

Okiegunner
February 20, 2013, 06:29 PM
The 92 platform has always been a favorite of mine, in all of it's various forms.

I have one of the "Turk" made 92f Centurions, metal guide rod and trigger. It is one of my favorite pistols to shoot. In fact, I met a fella who is a custom leathersmith at a gun show a few months back. He built me a custom shoulder rig for it. Beautiful dark chocolate brown with a maroon hi-light.

I digress, sorry...

If you like it, get it.

D-rob92
February 20, 2013, 06:37 PM
Hi I'm new to the forum.
But Anyway I just bought a beretta 92fs 3 days ago and have 120 rounds through it
And I personally love it. It's accurate, it seems reliable and it's just a great looking gun.
I paid 629.99 for mine. But by all means if your in the market for a good shooting , good looking, accurate pistol. Then buy one!

grptelli
February 20, 2013, 06:52 PM
Grab it. My 92fs has been wonderful and just put a set of hogue wrap around finger groove grips. Also got a px4 storm to keep the 92fs company...

Posted from Thehighroad.org App for Android

edwardcii
February 20, 2013, 09:04 PM
I have a 92a1 and it is my favorite at the moment. Got it for $650 plus tax, brand new, with 3 17 round mags.

Fine quality, seems sturdy, and I shoot it as accurately as any pistol I own.

I would say your price is steep. Have you looked at a 92a1? Easier option if you want night sights.

I prefer the beretta over the czs, sigs, and glocks I have for range use. Still trust the glocks most, so use those for carry. But loving the beretta.

chanroc
February 20, 2013, 10:59 PM
A 92SF is on my list to get. I had an old school Taurus PT-92 that I regret selling. I'd like to replace it with the real thing. I don't have large hands, but it fit me just fine.
As to the Resident Evil bit, how many of you wanted a Smith and Wesson 29 after Dirty Harry came out? How about a Walther PPK, when James Bond came out? All forms of media can bring in new shooters. As someone else pointed out, it's our job to welcome and nurture them. Why else are we here, but to learn from each other. (End of Rant)
Anyhow, back to the Beretta, I say go for it if it feels good in your hands. They are super easy to break down and clean. Good luck!

asia331
February 20, 2013, 11:14 PM
Enthusiastically looked forward to swapping my issue 1911 for a Beretta when my battalion made the switch in the late 80's. Turned out I missed the 1911 as I couldn't get my hands around that double-stack stock. Good sidearm; just didn't fit me.

blkbrd666
February 20, 2013, 11:51 PM
I've had a stainless 92FS for 20 years...one of my favorites. I like it so much I bought a 92SB, unfired...still in the old blue box, just for the history.

tarosean
February 21, 2013, 12:04 AM
I like it so much I bought a 92SB, unfired...still in the old blue box, just for the history.

Peel that smoke wagon!

holdencm9
February 21, 2013, 12:17 AM
But the trigger is kind of terrible and the grip feels somewhat like holding a summer sausage to me. Just my opinion.

Never heard people complain about the trigger. But to each their own.

wrs840
February 21, 2013, 12:19 AM
I have one 92FS because everyone should have one. It's a true classic for a reason. A used one new enough to be "FS" and old enough to be Italian is about perfect.

Clark
February 21, 2013, 12:43 AM
In 2007 I got some Italian Police surplus Beretta 92s 9mm pistols without magazines from Century for $240 ea delivered to the FFL.
The FFL in Seattle then wanted $15 ea for the transfer.
So they were costing me $255 out the door with no magazine.
I did get one magazine from Century.
I then bought Beretta 92FS magazines and milled a different slot.
I then found some M12 holsters.
I could dress up and play soldier, but I am too old and fat to play the part.

But I have taken the Beretta to the range, and they are nice for that.
Horribly big and heavy to carry around, but really low recoil and straight shooting at the range.

rtba
February 21, 2013, 12:57 AM
Good choice for a full-frame pistol! I just couldn't get used to the slide-mounted safety, but they are tack drivers in the right hands.

PGT
February 21, 2013, 02:12 AM
going rate on a black 92FS is $5xx. The stainless 92FS is $7xx. I was lucky and found the Inox version for $660 and it arrives this week (finally!). I'll have three full sized 9mm's to compare....Witness Match, 92FS and Mk25TB (P226). Should be fun. :)

TonyDedo
February 21, 2013, 02:29 AM
For starters, $660 is an awful price. My LGSs sell them new for $500-$550, and Beretta recently offered a $50 rebate with purchase of a new gun. Used you see them for $400-$500.

Price aside, the Beretta is a great range gun when you never have to make the gun safe, but not the best choice for home defense or CCW. The action configuration requires the gun to be stored/carried in Condition 2 (hammer down), so your first shot is always going to require a long, awful double action trigger pull. Most people, myself include, are not a fan of the gun's double action trigger. Plus the safety (should you choose to use it) is not very ergonomically sound. And my hand always gets torn up running failure drills. And the gun is generally too big/heavy to CCW comfortably.

I had a 92FS which cost me $400 - it sat in the safe any only came out when I went to the range to play or teach new shooters. It was a joy to shoot, but never more than a range toy.

wickedsprint
February 21, 2013, 06:59 AM
Also not a fan, carried m9 for nine years as AF cop. I've had it jam up solid during training. Also got back from the field one day to find the slide release had fallen off entirely. Shoots ok, but I don't care for DA/SA action. I can shoot any of my personal full sizes better than the berreta, gimme a 1911 and I'd have gotten my pistol ribbon but not with berreta. For those that are saying "our millitary uses them" please don't think that's an automatic plus. It's only a sidearm and won the contract decades ago, they're just too cheap/broke to buy somthing better for standard issue.

No need to blame the equipment. Plenty of people get the marksmanship ribbon with the Beretta.

Pilot
February 21, 2013, 07:56 AM
I can shoot any of my personal full sizes better than the berreta, gimme a 1911 and I'd have gotten my pistol ribbon but not with berreta.

Sounds like sour grapes to me. I can place the rounds where I want them for the most part with my stock 92FS. I really don't know what you are doing wrong, but maybe some instruction with the gun might help.

Sport45
February 21, 2013, 08:36 AM
The price sounds reasonable when you consider the current value of the extra 15-rnd mags that come with it.

PGT
February 21, 2013, 08:38 AM
not really. They're $25/ea from Beretta. I just got an email last night that they're back in stock.

UniversalFrost
February 21, 2013, 08:49 AM
love my 92 and 96 guns ! only thing to look out for is the newer guns are incorporating plastic and mim into the production ..

one thing to look at is getting some hogue panels (not the wrap arounds)...

also get a D spring or the wolff srping for this gun... you will thank me on those DA shots...

MrCleanOK
February 21, 2013, 10:31 AM
As others have said, with the magazines, you're looking at a fair price. Not a great price, but a fair one.

I have carried in M9s in two different sandboxes, and own a 92FS that I bought used from a friend. I have never had one choke, but I have also never trusted the Army's crap aftermarket magazines. I only use my own Mec-Gar magazines with M9s, and they always run like tops. That said, every M9 I have ever been issued needed to be stripped to the frame and detail cleaned and lubed. Most soldiers who get issued one do not know how to take care of a pistol. Maybe that's why you hear so many M9 horror stories.

I personally don't like the DA/SA trigger, or slide mounted decocker/safety, but I will probably never sell my 92FS, for sentimental reasons. In the hands of the right user, they are accurate and reliable.

TX Plinker
February 21, 2013, 04:13 PM
Thanks for all the feedback, guys! I've been shooting all my life(albeit, mostly "sporting" firearms), but never got around to the semi-automatic rifles and handguns until just recently. I have average sized hands, so I'm guessing the Beretta 92FS will fit alright in my hand. I mostly want it for a range/backpacking/truck gun. Seems like I should get it.

Texshooter
February 21, 2013, 08:41 PM
If you want a steel framed semi it will run like a scalded monkey. Other than a little heavy they shoot like a dream.
"scalded monkey"

Brother, talk about painting a picture with words! :)

Well, done.

edwardcii
February 21, 2013, 09:12 PM
beretta 92 is worth getting

just dont know about that price

Bentonville
February 22, 2013, 09:29 AM
I have had a 92FS for a little over a year. My hand is on the smallish side and I thought the Beretta would be too big to control well but it is a great fit for me. The slide safety becomes intuitive with practice of flipping it when grasping the gun. The recoil is very light and the gun is accurate. Sure, there are things that I think could be improved such as the fixed front sight that has to be sent off on the slide and drilled if I want to have night sights installed., and the sights are a little bit small for my aging eyes but, as with everything associated with firearms, training is essential. I shoot my Beretta better than the HK30 with the adjustable grip that feels like it was made in my hand. The Beretta balances very well.
I honestly like the DA trigger with the D spring installed. The SA trigger is fine. I like the high-cap mags available for it. I love the looks of the gun. It has never failed me after close to three thousand rounds of various brands of ammo.
The price is only a little high and it really isn't bad when you consider transfer fees, shipping costs, etc. if you purchase online. Just my opinion.

Pilot
February 22, 2013, 11:10 AM
Yes the price is a little high. I see them N.I.B. for $550 - $575 regularly.

EBShooting
February 22, 2013, 10:33 PM
I swear by mine. Even my wife who has smallish hands loves to shoot it. I've never had a hiccup with it. As other have said, it is solid as a rock. To me, there is just something about the lines of the gun that appeal to me.
The only thing I don't like, and I know that they have fixed it on the Vertec, 92A1, and a couple of others, is the front sight machined in with the slide. I am debating about sending the slide to Tooltech to have Trijicon sights installed.
In all honestly, I am a big Sig fan. But I am more in love with my 92FS than I am with my P226.

Just my .02.

contactcole
February 23, 2013, 01:21 AM
The 92fs is one of my most pleasant 9mm guns to shoot.

NavyEngineer
February 23, 2013, 07:44 AM
Thanks for all the feedback, guys! I've been shooting all my life(albeit, mostly "sporting" firearms), but never got around to the semi-automatic rifles and handguns until just recently. I have average sized hands, so I'm guessing the Beretta 92FS will fit alright in my hand. I mostly want it for a range/backpacking/truck gun. Seems like I should get it.
You won't regret getting it - as others have said, the grip is wide, but shooters with average size hands can easily manage it. It will serve your intended uses well. I would keep it well lubricated (CLP works fine). Although big and bulky, they're sturdy, reliable, accurate pistols. I don't know what the Army did to this one before they issued it to me to take to Afghanistan - it was ugly, but fired every time, and was accurate. I wouldn't be surprised if it's serving over there again.http://i1228.photobucket.com/albums/ee453/NavyEngineer/025_zps89bacba7.jpg

UniversalFrost
February 23, 2013, 09:24 AM
my wife loves one of the 92FS models i own and she has no problems with it . the grip is fine for her and when i put a set of hogue panels on it she liked it even more (the panels and not the wrap arounds) ...

i actually shoot a 92 brigadier in a practical tactical league and consistently score in the top 5. all the other shooters are running glock, xd, m&p plastic guns and i am the only one shooting a full sized metal gun.. so you can run a 92 as a competition gun

only detractor with accuracy on a 92 is the shooter... some quick and easy upgrades are wolff springs and especially the "D" spring or wolff trigger conversion unit http://www.midwayusa.com/product/113198/wolff-trigger-conversion-unit-beretta-92-96-taurus-pt92-pt99-reduced-power ...

when i carry my 92 or 96 i leave the hammer down and safety off.. that way the gun is ready to go in DA (I must admit i have a habit of always cocking the gun when drawing due to years with a 1911 where i left the hammer down)...

also, if you have the plastic guide rod i would recommend a metal one. one of the best guide rods out there is a Dedair Stainless Guide rod I have several for all my berettas and most of my Sig's http://guiderod.com/customer.html

anyway, the price on the gun is a high for normal pricing, but is actually a decent price for the craziness right now. mags are cheap and plentiful and you can pick up the sand resistant mags cheap (they are mil-surp and checkmate offloaded a lot on to the market a few years back)...

TX Plinker
February 24, 2013, 09:43 AM
You won't regret getting it - as others have said, the grip is wide, but shooters with average size hands can easily manage it. It will serve your intended uses well. I would keep it well lubricated (CLP works fine). Although big and bulky, they're sturdy, reliable, accurate pistols. I don't know what the Army did to this one before they issued it to me to take to Afghanistan - it was ugly, but fired every time, and was accurate. I wouldn't be surprised if it's serving over there again.http://i1228.photobucket.com/albums/ee453/NavyEngineer/025_zps89bacba7.jpg
What did they do to that Beretta? :barf:. But as long as it goes bang every time and is accurate, then that's all that matters. How often should I clean and lubricate it?

TX Plinker
February 24, 2013, 09:46 AM
my wife loves one of the 92FS models i own and she has no problems with it . the grip is fine for her and when i put a set of hogue panels on it she liked it even more (the panels and not the wrap arounds) ...

i actually shoot a 92 brigadier in a practical tactical league and consistently score in the top 5. all the other shooters are running glock, xd, m&p plastic guns and i am the only one shooting a full sized metal gun.. so you can run a 92 as a competition gun

only detractor with accuracy on a 92 is the shooter... some quick and easy upgrades are wolff springs and especially the "D" spring or wolff trigger conversion unit http://www.midwayusa.com/product/113198/wolff-trigger-conversion-unit-beretta-92-96-taurus-pt92-pt99-reduced-power ...

when i carry my 92 or 96 i leave the hammer down and safety off.. that way the gun is ready to go in DA (I must admit i have a habit of always cocking the gun when drawing due to years with a 1911 where i left the hammer down)...

also, if you have the plastic guide rod i would recommend a metal one. one of the best guide rods out there is a Dedair Stainless Guide rod I have several for all my berettas and most of my Sig's http://guiderod.com/customer.html

anyway, the price on the gun is a high for normal pricing, but is actually a decent price for the craziness right now. mags are cheap and plentiful and you can pick up the sand resistant mags cheap (they are mil-surp and checkmate offloaded a lot on to the market a few years back)...
That sounds awesome, but I think the only competition I'm going to be doing is outshooting my friends' 1911s at the range or in my backyard. If your wife can handle it fine, then I should have no problem, too.

NavyEngineer
February 24, 2013, 01:05 PM
What did they do to that Beretta? . But as long as it goes bang every time and is accurate, then that's all that matters. How often should I clean and lubricate it?

I'm not sure what they did to it - I never saw another like it. My guess is a refinishment attempt by an armorer didn't turn out well. But it tore the centers out of targets on the range, so I became pretty fond of that ugly pistol. The only trouble I ever had with it was in predeployment training - I dropped a mag in the sand. Since I was on the clock for a qualifying run, I inserted the dirty magazine and hit the slide release. The slide didn't go fully into battery. I slapped the rear of the slide to push it into battery, then fired 15 rounds without further incident. It's hard to say how often you should clean and lubricate it. I'd suggest as a minimum after every trip to the range, or at least once a month if you don't fire it. A lot depends on the environment it's exposed to. In Afghanistan, I cleaned my M9 every day or two if on base, and every time I returned from outside the wire. Even over there, a lot of people thought that was overkill, but the sand and grit seemed to get into every crevice at it, and it gave me peace of mind to know that it was clean and well lubricated, and wouldn't choke if I needed it. Here in New England I don't carry my replica M9, but keep it handy as a home defense pistol. The once a month lube and wipedown schedule works fine for me for that.

lono
February 25, 2013, 01:45 AM
Had one for years. Completely reliable, eats all ammo, not as accurate as my higher end 1911s but still accurate enough. Overall good gun, I would buy one again.

hAkron
February 25, 2013, 10:30 PM

I actually like the way that looks

wickedsprint
February 26, 2013, 06:51 AM
What did they do to that Beretta? . But as long as it goes bang every time and is accurate, then that's all that matters. How often should I clean and lubricate it?

I'm not sure what they did to it - I never saw another like it. My guess is a refinishment attempt by an armorer didn't turn out well. But it tore the centers out of targets on the range, so I became pretty fond of that ugly pistol. The only trouble I ever had with it was in predeployment training - I dropped a mag in the sand. Since I was on the clock for a qualifying run, I inserted the dirty magazine and hit the slide release. The slide didn't go fully into battery. I slapped the rear of the slide to push it into battery, then fired 15 rounds without further incident. It's hard to say how often you should clean and lubricate it. I'd suggest as a minimum after every trip to the range, or at least once a month if you don't fire it. A lot depends on the environment it's exposed to. In Afghanistan, I cleaned my M9 every day or two if on base, and every time I returned from outside the wire. Even over there, a lot of people thought that was overkill, but the sand and grit seemed to get into every crevice at it, and it gave me peace of mind to know that it was clean and well lubricated, and wouldn't choke if I needed it. Here in New England I don't carry my replica M9, but keep it handy as a home defense pistol. The once a month lube and wipedown schedule works fine for me for that.

Were you supplied by a navy unit? All of ours on deployment looked like yours.

UniversalFrost
February 26, 2013, 10:58 AM
the upper has been refinshed at one point (was parkerized) and the lower is the original bluing.

squid841
February 26, 2013, 01:32 PM
I have one and it's my general carry in a old faithful Iwb holster. Someone mentioned holding it and dry firing it the test the "fit" I have found out that ALL guns have two fits. Dry firing & live firing. I had a baby desert eagle that I liked holding, but it was hard on my hand after 10 rounds or so. If you can find someone who has one, try to run a few Mag's. through it. I love mine. Goofing around one day at the 100 yard range after sighting in my 30-06, I pulled it out and put the entire mag into a full size man silhouette. Not rapid fire, and I was trying to be as accurate as I could

NavyEngineer
February 26, 2013, 04:14 PM
Were you supplied by a navy unit? All of ours on deployment looked like yours.
No, Army issue at Fort Jackson, SC (I was an Individual Augmentee).

jakk280rem
February 26, 2013, 04:40 PM
A few months ago used, fired or not, were bringing in 450-500 with extras. M9's were selling used for 550.

jbr
February 26, 2013, 04:51 PM
I have a m9 (92's brother) and 96 - love them both - 14 year old daughter does too. Very accurate, very light shooter. Never had one jam in either. I did replace the main spring in the m9 to lighten the DA pull but the 92 should have the d-spring already i believe.

miles1
February 26, 2013, 07:20 PM
That price does seem high.

spacesheep9mm
February 26, 2013, 07:44 PM
$660 is quite high for a 92fs. I bought my M9a1 for $645.

Just some thoughts I wish to share about the gun:

Consider buying the "D hammer spring" (alone or with the steel trigger combo) as DA/SA pull will be much lighter due to the spring. I didn't mind the factory pull but that spring makes things go from okay to awesome :) You may also want to consider getting the skeleton hammer. If you have the money and want a smaller grip you could buy the aluminum checkered grips (these freaking grips are amazing... makes me wonder why Beretta doesn't just put these grips over the plastic ones).

SharpsDressedMan
February 26, 2013, 11:24 PM
Which aluminum grips do yuoyu speak of?

Matt Dillon
February 27, 2013, 12:18 AM
From where can the D hammer spring be purchased? Would Wolff springs have them?

Auto426
February 27, 2013, 12:23 AM
Damn threads like these. They now have me thinking of buying a new commercial M9 as a companion piece for my planned upcoming AR projects. :banghead:.

tarosean
February 27, 2013, 10:27 AM
From where can the D hammer spring be purchased? Would Wolff springs have them?

Any Parts supplier will have them. (Midway, Brownells, Numrich, etc. etc) Your just using the spring from the 92D - DAO version.

UniversalFrost
February 27, 2013, 11:35 PM
midway has the springs and also the conversion spring...

Matt Dillon
February 28, 2013, 12:32 AM
Thanks so much! Just so that i understand,please let me know precisely which springs and parts to order from Midway?

Welding Rod
February 28, 2013, 01:15 AM
I think the 92FS is one of the best built main stream pistols available. I am not keen on the 9mm cartridge, but the gun itself is hard to beat.

It is interesting to me how the mag in this gun holds the awaiting cartridge almost inline with the breech. I would imagine this is a big factor in its stellar reliability.

I don't worry too much about problems experienced with military guns. In my experience many of them are just clapped out and should have been retired long ago. And many are "maintained" by poorly trained soldiers who really aren't motivated to properly taking care of a firearm. Both guns and magazines need to be taken out of service once they are worn out, and unfortunately the military sometimes lags on this.

My only real gripe about the platform is I don't like having a non-ergonomic slide mounted safety, and would much prefer a decock only option.

I have tied a half dozen or more 92s / M9s an most had outstandingly clean single action trigger pulls. The double action pull benefits greatly with a 13 pound Wolf spring.

My 92FS pistols have never had a malf of any kind, eating a variety of loads.

Price does seem a little steep for a used gun, but with the extra mags there is no real reason to pass it up if the gun is like new and inspects well. You probably will save $50 or so in sales tax with a private sale, and the mags probably add another $100 or so in value.

tarosean
February 28, 2013, 01:04 PM
Just so that i understand,please let me know precisely which springs and parts to order from Midway?

First choice from Dave.

http://www.olhasso.com/PS/parts.ht

Wolff 16#
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/872410/wolff-hammer-spring-beretta-92-96-full-size-and-compacts-centurion-40-s-and-w-16-lb-reduced-power

Beretta is out of stock, if you have a newer gun with the plastic covered trigger get this kit.

http://www.berettausa.com/products/beretta-92fs-steel-trigger-spring-trigger-and-d-hammer-spring/

Brownells is out of stock
http://www.brownells.com/handgun-parts/trigger-group-parts/hammer-parts/hammer-springs/hammer-spring-d-version-prod27930.aspx?avs|Make~~Model_1=Beretta__92

wxl
February 28, 2013, 04:04 PM
Cannot comment on current 92FS as I have the 92S. This is the model submitted for Army trials with mag release at bottom of grip aka standard in Europe. Army requested relocation of mag release. Great shooter,good trigger, reliable. Have several 1911s in 45acp, 10mm and 9mm but was always a bit more accurate with the 92S. One of original reasons Army went with Beretta over 1911, recruits could not qualify with 1911 but less use it in combat. Yes, many in military love the 1911 but the majority could not shoot it. Same reason M1 Carbine was brought into service for those in MOS required to carry the 1911. Hey, I LIKE my 1911s.

RetiredUSNChief
February 28, 2013, 07:17 PM
One of original reasons Army went with Beretta over 1911, recruits could not qualify with 1911 but less use it in combat. Yes, many in military love the 1911 but the majority could not shoot it. Same reason M1 Carbine was brought into service for those in MOS required to carry the 1911. Hey, I LIKE my 1911s.

Huh?

Where in the world do you get the idea that "recruits could not qualify with 1911" and "the majority could not shoot it"?

http://www.sightm1911.com/lib/history/true_story_m9.htm

Critical J
September 7, 2013, 12:08 PM
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?p=9098879#post9098879

^ that may be helpful to anyone looking for answers

giggitygiggity
September 8, 2013, 04:05 AM
The Beretta 92 is an excellent and refined pistol. It has very little recoil and shoots like a laser. Parts and accessories are readily available and you can easily find used Beretta 92's in the $450-500 range. It is a classic.

If you enjoyed reading about "Beretta 92FS worth getting?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!