Hoarders to the Rescue

PDA

InkEd
February 19, 2013, 04:39 PM
Perhaps some of the "ammo hoarders" could become "ammo heroes" and sell some of their stockpile (at reasonable prices) to those of us that actually shoot our firearms.

Anyone that has more than a 5 year supply, care to help us out? You could use the cash for something that you might actually use...

If you enjoyed reading about "Hoarders to the Rescue" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
BemidjiDweller
February 19, 2013, 04:50 PM
They are using it, they will just use in a few years instead of this weekend.

InkEd
February 19, 2013, 04:55 PM
That's what they told their wives 12 years ago when they bought it. Then again every time since the first purchase. LOL

dirtykid
February 19, 2013, 04:58 PM
Or at least lay-off the .22 ammo !
I have not been able to find any CCI LRHP on the shelf for at least a month now,
My .223 and .243 are partially dis-assembled awaiting parts for upgrades,and my
itch to go plinking has turn into a serious rash....

CoRoMo
February 19, 2013, 04:59 PM
So those who have, should spread the wealth around? Eh, I'm not too sweet on redistribution politics.

And I wouldn't assume that hoarders aren't using what they were quick and wise enough to acquire.

But the notion of 'hoarders' coming to the rescue, spreading the love around and making a bit in the process... it's already happening; see here: www.gunbroker.com

silicosys4
February 19, 2013, 05:01 PM
You really think there are enough "hoarders" here to re-up the supply chain that MILLIONS of panicky new gun owners have drained? From what I'm seeing concerning the ration of prepared/unprepared, that's a very wishful thought.

wally
February 19, 2013, 05:01 PM
Anyone that has more than a 5 year supply, care to help us out?

I'm retiring soon, my "five year supply" will be shot up over the next five years!

Will a "reasonable" price now buy the same amount of ammo five years from now?

brboyer
February 19, 2013, 05:07 PM
Perhaps some of the "ammo hoarders" could become "ammo heroes" and sell some of their stockpile (at reasonable prices) to those of us that actually shoot our firearms.

Anyone that has more than a 5 year supply, care to help us out? You could use the cash for something that you might actually use...

Anyone that has more than a 5 year supply, care to help us out?Nope. You should have planned ahead like we did. :banghead:

You could use the cash for something that you might actually use...Shooting several hundred rounds a week. Grand-kids will be doing the same in 10 years.:neener:

If I were to ever sell any, my prices would make Cheaper Than Dirt's prices look like a 75% off going out of business sale.:D

il.bill
February 19, 2013, 05:10 PM
This situation is specifically covered somewhere in The Book.

When the bridegroom arrived late and the virgins whose lamps were running out of oil asked those who had thought ahead to share, the legitimate reply was along the lines of 'Then there will not be enough for us, either".

Take responsibility for yourself and think / plan ahead. I am nearly out of a couple of calibers I like to shoot, but that is my own fault, plain and simple. I was waiting for the winter local gun shows and the January Cabela's sale to stock back up. Due to some unexpected circumstances outside of my control, that turned out to be a flawed plan, but one of my own design. When I can again buy some more ammo, or get the components needed to reload, I will then be able to go out and shoot. Until then I am stuck with the inventory I previously acquired through the normal course of enjoying my hobby.

CoRoMo
February 19, 2013, 05:13 PM
Usually when I see the term 'hoarder' posted on THR, I substitute 'motivated, fore-thinking individual' in its place.

But whatever... here's a "hoarder's" tale: http://www.thehighroad.org/showpost.php?p=8727188&postcount=28

Arkansas Paul
February 19, 2013, 05:13 PM
That would defeat the purpose of hoarding now wouldn't it? :evil:

I certainly don't have everything I want, and I vow to not let it happen again the next panic. I don't know that I'll be able to afford to stockpile 5 years worth, but I won't be caught again. I certainly don't begrudge anyone who is more prepared than I. Jealous maybe. :)

jakk280rem
February 19, 2013, 05:15 PM
How could any self respecting 22 owner not have 3 or 4 thousand rounds sitting around? It's irresponsible.

Spymaster
February 19, 2013, 05:19 PM
So those who have, should spread the wealth around? Eh, I'm not too sweet on redistribution politics.

And I wouldn't assume that hoarders aren't using what they were quick and wise enough to acquire.

But the notion of 'hoarders' coming to the rescue, spreading the love around and making a bit in the process... it's already happening; see here: www.gunbroker.com
Exactly! Its nauseating, how this collectivist mindset infest these sites, same exact people who viciously attacked, and smeared anyone who tried to warn of what was imminent after the commie first got elected, now that he has been re-elected, his gloves are off, and he is conducting full scale war on the 2nd, and here we are, the self-righteous collectivists that put him there, sounding off on those wise souls that actually used the brain riding between their shoulders and planned ahead.

I'll sell the op all he wants, at $100.00 plus per box, other wise he can pick up the bow and arrow for all I care...

Newcatwalt
February 19, 2013, 05:20 PM
I've only got a 2 or 3 year supply. :D And even then I'm on the lookout for good ammo deals to replenish what I constantly shoot.

Spymaster
February 19, 2013, 05:20 PM
I'm retiring soon, my "five year supply" will be shot up over the next five years!

Will a "reasonable" price now buy the same amount of ammo five years from now?
Well done! :)

Grunt
February 19, 2013, 05:22 PM
What were you doing when prices were good and quantity was plentiful? One of these days, quantity will return and prices might become "reasonable" again. If and when it does, will you use this as a learning experience or are you going to slip back into your old habits again? In the mean time, consider this a hard lesson learned.

Cosmoline
February 19, 2013, 05:24 PM
I've been wondering about youth programs and whether or not we can help keep them supplied.

shafter
February 19, 2013, 05:34 PM
Usually when I see the term 'hoarder' posted on THR, I substitute 'motivated, fore-thinking individual' in its place.

Amen to that. It's not as if people who planned ahead enjoy having our money tied up in ammo we aren't currently shooting. We looked ahead and planned accordingly.

Not that long ago 22 ammo was MUCH more available and MUCH cheaper. I have little to no sympathy for those who whine about people who did the intelligent thing.

It irks me in sort of the same way as those who whine about having no money when they wasted theirs asking me to share some of my "hoarded" money.

BSA1
February 19, 2013, 05:35 PM
The O.P. might attract some offers if he could avoid name calling like "ammo hoarders" and wisecracks like "those of us that actually shoot our firearms." and "That's what they told their wives 12 years ago when they bought it. Then again every time since the first purchase."

Even then he will still have to deal with what he thinks is "at reasonable prices."

This post imho is just a thinly veiled cheap shot at folks he considers to be hoarders.

316SS
February 19, 2013, 05:37 PM
I got caught with my pants down ammunition-wise. But I don't blame the "hoarders," I only blame myself. More importantly, I've learned from my mistake and I won't let it happen again. When this crisis is over, I'll be starting a collection of reloading supplies and ammunition so that when the next crisis comes I can lord it over other people. :D;)

CoRoMo
February 19, 2013, 05:42 PM
What were you doing when prices were good and quantity was plentiful?
Complaining about normal prices and asking where the deals are at!!

JayBird
February 19, 2013, 05:42 PM
I've been wondering about youth programs and whether or not we can help keep them supplied.

I think supply will start to catch up here soon.

I know some are saying we are 6-9 months behind. But I have been seeing things trickle out lately, that were just not there at all a month ago.

Heck, last week, my local Gander Mountain even had a sale.

yes, their .223 was gone before lunch. and the 22 and 9 sold out before dinner time. But I stopped in there a few days later and they still had plenty of 45 and 40 as well as other rounds. For decent prices still.

At least 22 isnt a military or law enforcement round, and they dont use the same primers or anything. So, give it some time. 22 will start creeping back in here soon in my opinion.

HighExpert
February 19, 2013, 05:43 PM
I took inventory the other night and discovered 14k of .22lr. I paid about $9 a brick and could now sell for close to $100 a brick. I won't for two reasons. 1. I wouldn't feel right about it and 2. I very well might need it. Oh, I forgot, 3. My wife said "No Way" we may need it. Sorry guys.

jerkface11
February 19, 2013, 05:47 PM
Maybe we should get the government to step in and redistribute the ammo!

afponiky
February 19, 2013, 05:54 PM

Haa Haa, that is good!

AF

baz
February 19, 2013, 06:07 PM
The O.P. might attract some offers if he could avoid name calling like "ammo hoarders" Or think a little on what the word "hoard" really means. It is not "hoarding" to stock up. Hoarding is when you accumulate more than you "need." But "need" is subjective. Those who "stock up" have decided that they "need" to have something set aside for a time when supply might be scarce or constrained. That is not "hoarding." That is "being prepared."

The real "hoarders" are those who did not stock up in advance, and then start panic buying when they see that supply might be scarce or constrained. Basically, those who cannot now get what they "need" are being squeezed out, not by those of us who have a supply set aside from earlier times, but by others like themselves who didn't plan ahead, and are now grabbing everything in sight.

GBExpat
February 19, 2013, 06:07 PM
perhaps some of the "ammo hoarders" could become "ammo heroes" and sell some of their stockpile (at reasonable prices) to those of us that actually shoot our firearms. Sure ... right after you sell me a few pounds of that gold for $35/ounce that your grandaddy bought before they removed the price cap.

MachIVshooter
February 19, 2013, 06:15 PM
While I do have some sympathy for those who were unable to stock up, it doesn't change the fact that it's all about life choices.

Those who know me on here know that I have a substantial collection, and plenty of ammo to feed it. But I'm not a wealthy person; I'm a mechanic, I run a one-man shop.

So how was it that I could afford to drop ~$10k on guns and ammo last year? Well, the last time I went to a movie was 5 months ago, and I used a gift card. Last time the wife and I went out to eat was 3 months ago, also gift cards. Our television is nearly a decade old. My daily driver is a 1987 Dodge Daytona (not a beater), hers is a 2004 Town & Country that we paid cash for in 2011. My annual vacation is a 3-4 day pig hunt in Texas. The list goes on.

Evaluate your monthly spending, you'll be surprised how much ammo you could have bought by skipping some of the other luxuries and frivolous expenditures. If the other stuff was more important to you, that's fine, too-Just don't gripe about how you couldn't afford to stock up on ammo.

Grunt
February 19, 2013, 06:21 PM
Funny how Aesop over 2,500 years ago knew the answer to your ammo problems today in 2012.

http://www.longlongtimeago.com/llta_fables_antgrasshopper.html

NosaMSirhC
February 19, 2013, 06:21 PM

I don't LOL, I SALTS. Smiled A Little Then Stopped. Great post...

Sent from my GT-P6210 using Tapatalk HD

Double Naught Spy
February 19, 2013, 06:23 PM
The purpose of stockpiling ammo is for situations just like we are having right now. Stockpiling requires planning, effort, and finance, plus covering the hassles and expenses of storage. Folks aren't apt to just part with that which they have worked hard to accumulate.

ccsniper
February 19, 2013, 06:39 PM
I am insulted at the very question! Hey I failed to buy ammo when it was available and so now you should give me some at a reasonable price. NO! You should have bought ammo when it was there. Stocked a little up for times like this, I got caught with my pants down after the 08 election and I swore NEVER AGAIN. But even then I did not complain that others had prepared, it was my fault that I didn't put a little back not theirs. Live and learn, when this calms down buy one box for shooting and one for keeping everytime you buy ammo. It may mean shooting only half as much but at least you will have ammo the next time (and there WILL be a next time).

mrvco
February 19, 2013, 06:44 PM
Keep what you have, but quit hoarding ADDITIONAL ammo for your great, great, great grandkids and everything will be back to normal in no time. That goes for DHS as well.

InkEd
February 19, 2013, 06:44 PM
It's not hoarding of you actually use it. Perhaps the d.bags with 100K+ rounds for their never fired ARs from 2008 would like to make a couple bucks though.

If they are keeping it for when SHTF it won't do them any good because they NEVER even practiced firing their rifle.

wally
February 19, 2013, 07:08 PM
How could any self respecting 22 owner not have 3 or 4 thousand rounds sitting around?

For my wife and I that is like a 1 month supply, two months tops if the weather is bad. No doubt we'll feel the pain if things don't improve by this time next year, we'll just have to make do shooting fewer rounds of more powerful ammo.

def4pos8
February 19, 2013, 07:10 PM
I built my house of brick and mortar. You built yours of straw or sticks. Now the big, bad wolf is out there.

Some folks go to school for all those years and lean NOTHING! :neener:

Coop45
February 19, 2013, 07:12 PM
Now I have to go inventory my ammo supply to see if I an a hoarder.

BemidjiDweller
February 19, 2013, 07:15 PM
InkEd, you didn't prepare and you're now suffering the consequences. Maybe you'll learn a lesson this time around and will be ready for next time.

What those people do with their ammo is up to them, not you. How and the frequency of use of their firearms is also up to them. Don't like it? Too bad. You have no say in their shooting habits.

UKWildcatFan
February 19, 2013, 07:26 PM
I am insulted at the very question! Hey I failed to buy ammo when it was available and so now you should give me some at a reasonable price. NO! You should have bought ammo when it was there. Stocked a little up for times like this, I got caught with my pants down after the 08 election and I swore NEVER AGAIN. But even then I did not complain that others had prepared, it was my fault that I didn't put a little back not theirs. Live and learn, when this calms down buy one box for shooting and one for keeping everytime you buy ammo. It may mean shooting only half as much but at least you will have ammo the next time (and there WILL be a next time).
I LOVE IT!!! My sentiments, exactly.

I won't resort to name calling, like the thread starter did, but if I was going to I'd call him a "whining baby." Take your toy and go home...wait, you probably don't have one of those, either. Live and learn.

Vonderek
February 19, 2013, 07:27 PM
The original premise is faulty. It's akin to a 70 year old person who didn't save money while he could asking others who "hoarded" money for their retirement to share with him. This illogic concept would aver that the savers 'have money in the bank and aren't using it.'

These times of feast and famine are cyclical. If you didn't make preparations in times of plenty it's not the 'hoarders' fault, it's your fault.

Jorg Nysgerrig
February 19, 2013, 07:34 PM
Someone should probably use this thread to make a fable about grasshoppers and ants.

If you enjoyed reading about "Hoarders to the Rescue" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!