Single shot 12

PDA

GojuBrian
February 20, 2013, 03:02 PM
What's a good option for a single 12?

I want it to be rugged and sturdy enough to last a lifetime or more.

I don't want a fancy pants shotgun, but I want it to look nice.

Any suggestions appreciated. :cool:

If you enjoyed reading about "Single shot 12" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
targetshooter22
February 20, 2013, 03:11 PM
NEF product would work well. They are inexpensive and tough, albeit not terribly pretty. If you go that route, look real close at the hand-rifles and the shotguns; at one time I think you could get the handi-rifle and then order a shotgun barrel for like $50 + shipping, but you could not order the shotgun receiver and then get a rifle barrel. Check again, things might have changed in the 6 years since I bought one of their products.

PRM
February 20, 2013, 03:40 PM
Another + vote on the NEF. I've got a Remington Sportaman 58 and have had several 870s, all great shotguns. But my personal favorite is my NEF Pardner .12 gauge. There is just something about a single shot breech loader that is classic.

If I did not have it, I would be tempted to buy the same gun in .20 gauge. Either one would make a fine field gun.

Gander Mountain has them for $99, temporarily sold out... Might look on Gun Broker or Gun America - they have several listed.

http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=New_England_Firearms_Pardner_Single_Shot_Shotgun&i=UF101159284&merchID=4004&r=view&uf=true

MasterSergeantA
February 20, 2013, 03:43 PM
NEF product would work well. They are inexpensive and tough, albeit not terribly pretty. If you go that route, look real close at the hand-rifles and the shotguns; at one time I think you could get the handi-rifle and then order a shotgun barrel for like $50 + shipping, but you could not order the shotgun receiver and then get a rifle barrel. Check again, things might have changed in the 6 years since I bought one of their products.
They still do that. Rifles can get shotgun barrels (or other rifle barrels), but shotguns will only be fitted with shotgun barrels. A bit more than $50, but still a good deal.

http://www.hr1871.com/support/accessoryprogram.asp

appalachian hunter
February 20, 2013, 04:49 PM
bakail 18m are nice and sturdy

Sav .250
February 20, 2013, 05:36 PM
Unusual to want a single shot anything . I`d just go on line (google) and ask that every same question.

Could buy used. Lots of good,old single shotguns at Gun Shows. If you have any in your area. :)

Isaac-1
February 20, 2013, 06:43 PM
I just wanted to second that there are a lot of good used $50 single shot shotguns out there. If someone needs a firearm and is on a VERY tight budget there is no better all around choice for anywhere close the money.

ps

I would try gun dealers with consignment racks, etc. paying a $8-10 gun show entry fee to buy a $50 gun just seems wasteful to me.

JERRY
February 20, 2013, 06:54 PM
go to a pawn shop and offer $50.00 for one. theyll probabaly let you have it.

PRM
February 21, 2013, 08:07 AM
Unusual to want a single shot anything .

LOL... I have never really had an issue with a single shot .12 gauge. They are light, portable and accurate. Reloading is fairly quick once you get the hang of it.

But, then I grew up shooting and hunting with muzzle loaders, so having a single shot for me is really nothing new.

The pumps and semi-autos are great guns, and I do own them. I just like shooting the single shot breach loaders. Also, I agree with other posts, if your on a tight budget, they are one of the best buys out there.

eastbank
February 21, 2013, 09:38 AM
i bought this new in the box H&R custom deluxe classic 12ga 3" mag with vent rib and factory choke tubes at a gun store going tits up for 128.00 otd, for a run and gun turkey light shotgun. it kicks with the federal 2oz #6 flite controll wads but its a drop dead killer at a full 40yds. eastbank.

bobinoregon
February 21, 2013, 11:08 PM
I bought a 12ga single shot Baikal for 85.00 from a guy outside a gun show. After cleaning it up I found that I had a well made gun with very nice wood. It's a great shooter too.

lowercase
February 21, 2013, 11:36 PM
I had an old, ugly H&R 12 gauge single shot that I bought in college for 50 bucks.

Picked it up from a pawn shop and someone had tried to give it a camo paint job.

18 years later, I gave it to my buddy as a first gun. He treasures it to this day.

ColtPythonElite
February 21, 2013, 11:37 PM
Winchester 37 or 840

bobinoregon
February 22, 2013, 05:59 PM
my Baikal 12ga

Deltaboy
February 22, 2013, 11:04 PM
H&R and NEF make great Single shots. There is also Savage and Ithaca made some too.
You can find them under 100 bucks all day long.

perrytrails
February 23, 2013, 01:01 AM
Well, at least in my area anyway, I hit seven gun stores and several pawn shops and I've yet to see these $50 H&R single shots. I seen a few very rough condition $100 ones. The twenty ga used is as rare as hens teeth round here. Average price NEW in this area is $179.....

Isaac-1
February 23, 2013, 05:20 AM
Depending on where you are it may be a cost of living / paperwork hassle thing, does your state allow casual FTF sales between individuals?

perrytrails
February 23, 2013, 06:11 AM
Yes we can do FTF sales. And that's where I usually find the best deals.

I've yet to find a decent one for under $75. Most are over $100 used.

tallpaul
February 23, 2013, 10:19 PM
Sadto say but the days of the 50.00 single shot have not been the norm for a dozen years here in Ohio... Ya may find one occasionally but it's definitely a rarity. The last one I got was at a small show for 75.00 a couple years back. Most are over a hundred here in Ohio... Like the days of 150 dollar smith model 10's they are just going up in value and the days of the real deals being common are not here.

Onmilo
February 24, 2013, 04:22 AM
I have an H&R single shot 12 guage, 28" Modified choke, 3" chamber
I replaced the hardwood stock and forend with choate plastic and added a Limbsaver recoil pad.
Also added a sling and swivels.
It is my second most used shotgun next to my .410 H&R single.
Both are excellent guns.

RUT
February 24, 2013, 10:28 AM
>>Unusual to want a single shot anything<<

It's next home defense recommendation from Joe Biden! :p

Onmilo
February 24, 2013, 03:10 PM
I think Biden recommends a double barrel and firing blanks into the air.

If you enjoyed reading about "Single shot 12" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!