Carry in a Bank?

PDA

Bobson
February 21, 2013, 12:08 AM
Earlier today, I left home to run some errands. I knew one of those errands would take me to my bank (a Phoenix branch of Chase), but I decided to carry my gun today anyway, planning to lock it up in the car for the short time I'd be inside.

Obviously, I've been to this branch before; and I'm almost positive there used to be a "No Firearms, persuant to ARS whatever number" sign on the front door - but today there wasn't one. Is there some federal law prohibiting the carry of a firearm in a bank? I'm pretty certain the state of Arizona doesn't have a law forbidding it. I was just really surprised by the lack of a sign outside, since Arizona law specifically provides companies the lawful authority to make the call themselves.

To be clear, I decided to be safe and left my firearm in my vehicle. I wanted to ask the banker about it, but didn't want him to somehow perceive my question as some sort of threat. Maybe I'll call tomorrow and ask over the phone.

If you enjoyed reading about "Carry in a Bank?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
wrs840
February 21, 2013, 12:14 AM
I don't think there's any Federal prohibition. You can carry in a bank in NC as long as it's not posted against firearms exactly to the regulation (which allows private businesses to prohibit firearms/weapons and specifies how it is to be posted). If their posting does not meet regulation (size/verbage/colors/placing) you are not in violation of law but you must leave the premises if asked to.

Any bank that posts against does not get my business and I tell them exactly that and why.

Outlaw Man
February 21, 2013, 12:32 AM
I believe there is a law against carrying in a Federal Reserve Bank, but don't quote me on that. Otherwise, I would treat it like any other business unless there's a specific state law.

I sent a letter to the President of my previous bank explaing that their new signs were the reason I was pulling my money from his bank. I didn't get a response, but I'm not exactly going to break the bank by leaving.

Zardaia
February 21, 2013, 12:41 AM
An actual federal reserve yes, fed property. Not to be confused with xyz federal bank, just a name nothing to do with the government. I carry at my bank's off base branch all the time, not prohibited in FL. Other states differ I'm sure.

Teachu2
February 21, 2013, 12:48 AM
Never a problem at my bank or credit union.

TonyDedo
February 21, 2013, 12:49 AM
What good is a carry gun if you have to leave it in your car when you walk into a building that's a target for armed robbery?

Concealed means concealed.

Bobson
February 21, 2013, 01:59 AM
Good answers folks. I'll definitely call the branch and speak with a manager tomorrow to get the final word. Will be extremely pleased if carry is allowed there.

Reefinmike
February 21, 2013, 02:01 AM
As a ~1 year permit holder and lifetime ohio resident, Im happy with Ohio firearm laws. Ive only seen three gun buster signs on non government buildings. One an eatery which I no longer patronize, one my dads office with non compliant signage thats not even present on all doors(something with the office group association and lastly a newly discovered one on the side entrance door of a caddy dealers service bay. I went through the unmarked garage door in the vehicle so im good to go, right :D . I havent spotted any signs at banks in the area and even ran into an employee at the bank that recognized me from the local range and we talked range talk, reloading, casting and our choice of ccw at the moment.

Its beating the dead horse, but anyone that thinks a sign will stop a dangerous person is delusional.

TonyDedo
February 21, 2013, 02:04 AM
Good answers folks. I'll definitely call the branch and speak with a manager tomorrow to get the final word. Will be extremely pleased if carry is allowed there.

If I called up a bank manager and asked if I could carry a gun into the bank, and he said "yes," I think I would <removed>.

Alaska444
February 21, 2013, 02:13 AM
I believe there is a law against carrying in a Federal Reserve Bank, but don't quote me on that. Otherwise, I would treat it like any other business unless there's a specific state law.

I sent a letter to the President of my previous bank explaing that their new signs were the reason I was pulling my money from his bank. I didn't get a response, but I'm not exactly going to break the bank by leaving.
Sorry, Federal Reserve Banks are privately owned banks that are not federal at all. Most folks do not understand the con job against the American public that the Fed actually is. It is a privately owned bank that tells our government what to do. Go figure and thanks to my "favorite" president for this mess and the income tax act to boot.

http://www.federalreserve.gov/faqs/about_14986.htm

garymc
February 21, 2013, 02:25 AM
Some banks in Missouri are posted and some aren't. You might think they'd all be against it, but think of a small town bank that has the jewelry store owner as a customer (or the pawn/gun store owner.) I bank at US Bank and I've never seen one of them posted.

Davek1977
February 21, 2013, 03:46 AM
I routinely carry in the bank I do business at. There is no federal law, nor state law in SD prohibiting it.

Centurian22
February 21, 2013, 04:12 AM
In Maine I asked two different branches of my bank in town (TD Bank) and got polar lay different answers. The first, while closer to my house I've never cared for the service and their answer didn't help: "there is no policy against it but we'd really prefer if you didn't". The second which has always treated me right and continues to recieve my business said "we have no problem with it at all and encourage any form of legal carry" (for Maine this can be open with or without permit or concealed with permit).

Look forward to hearing how your throne call goes.

Sergei Mosin
February 21, 2013, 04:53 AM
Montana is the only state left that disallows concealed carrry in a bank.North Carolina left them alone recently.:D

Nebraska also prohibits carry in financial institutions. Don't know about other states.

OldMac
February 21, 2013, 05:04 AM
Thanks Alaska. You are correct. Federal Reserve is a corporate name. The banksters are not Federal and have no reserve. My kid's name is Marshall but he didn't get a badge or a gun. I suspect that the FR banks are posted and well armed just in case the govt ever does audit them and informs we the people what happened over the last century.

baz
February 21, 2013, 08:47 AM
I routinely carry in the bank I do business at. There is no federal law, nor state law in SD prohibiting it.Ditto here in Arkansas. Some banks post, others do not. I don't do business with those that post.

I used to do business with a firm with an office on the second floor of one of the tall buildings in downtown Little Rock. A bank had facilities in the lobby, and the door nearest the facilities was posted. But none of the other doors were posted, so I presumed the bank was responsible for the one door that was posted, not the building owners. So I'd walk around the corner, and come in through a door that wasn't posted. I'd still end up walking right past the bank facilities on my way to an escalator to the second floor. But I imagine a bank robber wouldn't take the time to go around the corner. Yeah, those signs do a lot of good. :banghead:

tyeo098
February 21, 2013, 10:56 AM
I carry CC at my BOA all the time here in NOVA. They are none the wiser.
Some lady made me take off my motorcycle helmet while I was using the ATM though. It was 20* outside and its a PITA in gloves.

I OC at my local PNC (they have the coin counter :)) They either don't notice or don't care.

No federal law against it, but some silly 'corporate policies' may have them put a sign up. Just make sure to know if the sign holds force of law in your state (30-06 sign, etc)

Sav .250
February 21, 2013, 11:29 AM
You should have asked the question. Does the bank have a policy of no carry inside?
In fact you could have called that question. Now your still wondering.

Kristensdaddy
February 21, 2013, 11:45 AM
There is NO federal regulation concerning carry in a commercial bank. State law may vary, bank policy may vary but there is no fed rule. Look up the Bank Security Act of 1968. That one page law is the be-all and end-all of bank security regulations.

Federal Reserve Banks are not somewhere you are going to do any banking business. You may go on a tour of a facility but there is no banking business that an individual will do.

Just try to get into a FRB. Armed security at the gate (M-4's), you have to give your car make and model, and tag number when making an appointment to visit. It is an entirely different concept that a regular bank.

By the way, you can visit the Federal Reserve Bank of NY but considering that it is NYC you won't be carrying anyway. If you ever go there be sure to take the tour of the Gold Vaults.

gfanikf
February 21, 2013, 11:48 AM
I OC at my local PNC (they have the coin counter :)) They either don't notice or don't care.

Funny enough while I've never seen a gun related notice at any PNC in PA (or NYC for that matter lol), I have seen notices in both areas asking patrons to removes caps, hoods, etc when entering the bank.

Though apparently criminals do follow the rules some times lol
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/05/19/ohio-bank-robber-lowers-hood_n_864138.html

I can actually understand the request as it does allow for early threat detection and/or discourage people (who aren't morons) from concealing their face...though the non-moron's are in theory quicker to be noticed.

Sergei,you are correct. I missed Nebraska. They have long laundry list of OL locations and only security personal with CC permits can carry in a Nebraska Financial Institution, as we see from this handgun law info:

http://handgunlaw.us/states/nebraska.pdf

I've always wondered if any states with House of Worship bans may forgot to extend the term beyond Churches. Considering how badly gun laws can be written I wouldn't be surprised.

rtroha
February 21, 2013, 12:15 PM
A one my dads office with non compliant signage thats not even present on all doors(something with the office group association

Since Ohio law stipulates neither format nor wording of "no guns" signs, there is no such thing as "compliance" nor "non-compliance". The words "no guns" written in crayon on a napkin would be completely legal.

rtroha
February 21, 2013, 12:19 PM

PNC doesn't care. When my local branch posted a sign a couple years ago, I contacted the president of PNC. That sign disappeared a couple days later and I got an apologetic email from one of PNC's VPs.

Outlaw Man
February 21, 2013, 12:37 PM
Sorry, Federal Reserve Banks are privately owned banks that are not federal at all. Most folks do not understand the con job against the American public that the Fed actually is. It is a privately owned bank that tells our government what to do. Go figure and thanks to my "favorite" president for this mess and the income tax act to boot.

http://www.federalreserve.gov/faqs/about_14986.htm.
Thanks for the clarification. I think it was my CHCL instructor that first told me that. As ther are none here, it hasn't been that critical to me. Good to know, though.

gfanikf
February 21, 2013, 12:45 PM
PNC doesn't care. When my local branch posted a sign a couple years ago, I contacted the president of PNC. That sign disappeared a couple days later and I got an apologetic email from one of PNC's VPs.
One of the best things I was able to do as switching back to PNC from BOA a few weeks ago (it was required by a move though funny enough PNC is in NYC now right near my job). Not getting charged for a cashiers check was nice.

gfanikf
February 21, 2013, 01:45 PM
Gfanikf,somehow I put up the wrong bookmark. http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/nebraska.pdf does show Places of Worship,not churches for Nebraska.I don't want them to be blamed for my error. Thank you for bringing that matter up. It made me go back and recheck the information. :)

I've now corrected it on the post, #20.
Oh sure thing. Good to know my ramblings on nomenclature can have actually real world use. :)

JohnBT
February 21, 2013, 02:16 PM
Interesting link to the Federal Reserve system, isn't it. Now if only people would read it all.

"It is not "owned" by anyone and is not a private, profit-making institution."

"the Federal Reserve is subject to oversight by the Congress, which often reviews the Federal Reserve's activities and can alter its responsibilities by statute."

"the Reserve Banks issue shares of stock to member banks"

"The stock may not be sold, traded, or pledged as security for a loan"

gfanikf
February 21, 2013, 02:29 PM
Your ramblings are very resourceful. Don't stop! ;)
Now if only my wife said that! ;)

One thought I had that gave me a laugh was the listing of Professional and Semi-Professional Events....where do Pro Wrasslin/Sports Entertainment fall into it!

As funny as it sounds one of Vince McMahons big legal/lobbying battles was getting "Pro Wrestling" removed from the regulatory purview of State Athletic Boards/Commissions....but before I go on further, this is a gun board, not a Wrestling one. lol

Bobson
February 21, 2013, 04:34 PM
Alrighty. Called the bank this morning and spoke with the same banker I saw yesterday. He said the branch manager was busy, but put me on hold for a short while and went to find out for me.

Branch manager says branch policy changed recently to allow carry in the bank - either open or concealed. People have been asking pretty regularly since the change, and several people are seen open-carrying inside each week.

Good stuff.

Alaska444
February 21, 2013, 04:41 PM
Interesting link to the Federal Reserve system, isn't it. Now if only people would read it all.

"It is not "owned" by anyone and is not a private, profit-making institution."

"the Federal Reserve is subject to oversight by the Congress, which often reviews the Federal Reserve's activities and can alter its responsibilities by statute."

"the Reserve Banks issue shares of stock to member banks"

"The stock may not be sold, traded, or pledged as security for a loan"
I guess you didn't read this part:

It is considered an independent central bank because its monetary policy decisions do not have to be approved by the President or anyone else in the executive or legislative branches of government, it does not receive funding appropriated by the Congress, and the terms of the members of the Board of Governors span multiple presidential and congressional terms.

This is from their own website. I would suggest you do your own research on the Fed but since this is a gun webpage, I will forgo a long diatribe on its history or its dangers as a central bank.

Lots of sources on the Fed if you are interested. But in short, it is NOT part of the Federal government, it CONTROLS ALL of our monetary policies and in such has undue influence on who wins or loses elections and so much more. Go read the history of President Andrew Jackson and why he eliminated the central bank in his time in office.

Lastly, if the Fed makes the decisions and does NOT have to answer to congress or the president for their decisions, what kind of oversight does the president and congress have upon that private corporation?

Enough on that especially since this is not the real topic of this thread, but much more for all to learn. The Fed is not Federal at all.

rondog
February 21, 2013, 05:23 PM
I conducted a transaction at a bank once involving a large sum of cash, large enough that it was handled in a private room. The bank brought in a security guard for "protection", but I'm pretty sure that I was the only one armed in that room, especially with TWO handguns. Of course, I didn't advertise it either.

gazpacho
February 22, 2013, 03:00 AM
Nevada State Bank

My bank is firearm and dog friendly. You can have a sixgun on your hip and fido on a lease, and the only difference in their service is that they will give your, dog a free puppy biscuit.

jaysouth
February 23, 2013, 07:57 PM
I have a very good relationship with my local bank. When meeting someone to buy or sell a gun FTF, I meet them in an empty office in the bank. It is not lost on the other party that they are on camera from the time they enter the parking lot until they leave.

Bank staffers including the branch manager are OK with the arrangement. I have also sold three guns to staffers over the last 7 or 8 years ago.

A couple of months ago, someone selling a gun, met the "buyer" in a dark parking lot. They shot him dead, took his guns, wallet and watch. No one has been fingered yet.

Deanimator
February 23, 2013, 08:00 PM
There is NO federal prohibition on carrying in a bank, although imbeciles will tell you that FDIC insurance makes ANY bank a "federal" building.

It's purely a state and local matter.

In Ohio, you can carry in any bank that's not specifically posted, or not physically located on a government installation or inside a government building.

zorro45
February 24, 2013, 03:03 PM
Yes, I've always found that using one of those lockable depository cloth bags is a great way to carry at a bank!

NavyLCDR
February 24, 2013, 03:06 PM
Yes, I've always found that using one of those lockable depository cloth bags is a great way to carry at a bank!
Why not just carry the gun in your purse?

zorro45
February 24, 2013, 11:08 PM
its hard to find one in camouflage to match the rest of my outfit

Clippers
February 24, 2013, 11:45 PM
Ever since I got my CCW I've noticed some signs that restrict conceal carry, but pay no attention to them. The saying " I would rather be judged by twelve than carried by six " sticks in my mind.

medalguy
February 25, 2013, 11:33 AM
Well, we have a bank near Houston, in the small town of Chappell Hill, that does in fact encourage CCW inside the bank. It's been in the news lately 'round these parts because of their policy. Here's a link to a story about the bank:

http://www.khou.com/news/Chappell-Hill-bank-welcomes-concealed-handguns-187399451.html

PavePusher
February 25, 2013, 03:02 PM
No! Do NOT call and ask. If it's not posted, it's legal. If they don't want it, they have to post it, or ask you to leave. Calling and asking merely gives them the chance to hem-and-haw and create enough obfuscation that they 'll discourage you without being legally liable for their own actions.

www.handgunlaw.us

PavePusher
February 25, 2013, 03:06 PM
Alrighty. Called the bank this morning and spoke with the same banker I saw yesterday. He said the branch manager was busy, but put me on hold for a short while and went to find out for me.

Branch manager says branch policy changed recently to allow carry in the bank - either open or concealed. People have been asking pretty regularly since the change, and several people are seen open-carrying inside each week.

Good stuff.
Oops, O.K., disregard my previous statement... :o

trayzor
February 25, 2013, 11:47 PM
Carry in a Bank?
Earlier today, I left home to run some errands. I knew one of those errands would take me to my bank (a Phoenix branch of Chase), but I decided to carry my gun today anyway, planning to lock it up in the car for the short time I'd be inside.

Obviously, I've been to this branch before; and I'm almost positive there used to be a "No Firearms, persuant to ARS whatever number" sign on the front door - but today there wasn't one. Is there some federal law prohibiting the carry of a firearm in a bank? I'm pretty certain the state of Arizona doesn't have a law forbidding it. I was just really surprised by the lack of a sign outside, since Arizona law specifically provides companies the lawful authority to make the call themselves.

To be clear, I decided to be safe and left my firearm in my vehicle. I wanted to ask the banker about it, but didn't want him to somehow perceive my question as some sort of threat. Maybe I'll call tomorrow and ask over the phone.

You didn't tell anyone did you?

Deltaboy
February 26, 2013, 12:00 AM
In my state if it bank is not legally marked I just walk on in.

marv
February 26, 2013, 12:07 AM
Not a problem here in Hoosierland. I carry in the bank all the time. In fact, the manager of my branch bank notarized my last 2 apps for LTCH renewal.

JoePfeiffer
February 26, 2013, 04:16 AM
Oops, O.K., disregard my previous statement... :o

Well, no, your previous statement was exactly correct (well, in my state, NM, it would be). No reason to open up any unnecessary cans of worms. It turned out the OP got the reasonable response, but he mightn't have.

gym
February 26, 2013, 01:06 PM
You can always use the drive thru teller. I never go in the bank, unless it's a mortgage or loan or something big. You can do all your deposits and withdrawls outside in the comfort of your car.
I went to the DMV last week and parked riht in front, I don't like leaving a gun in a car, from my NYC days. Now I live in a small town " i was the only one there" but in NY if you leave a gun in the car, and somone steals it, you are unlikelly to get your permit restored.
And breaking into cars was the number one thing to fear, even in parking lots.

md2lgyk
February 28, 2013, 10:23 AM
Bank carry is not prohibited here in WV unless the property is posted. In the 14 years I've lived here, I've never seen a bank that was (or hardly anywhere else, for that matter).

There was actually an attempted robbery a couple of years ago at the bank branch I use. The idiot didn't go inside like most robbers do, he pulled up to the driveup window and passed in a note! Needless to say, he left empty-handed.

Yelovitz_503
February 28, 2013, 10:49 PM
I'm carrying every time I deposit my paychecks. There's no law against it in Oregon, so unless it's posted on the door any regular old bank branch is fine to carry into (so long as it stays concealed). Some people might think it's not worth the potential hassle if someone does see it but as someone pointed out already that's got more to do with where you are than what you're doing. I do a good job of keeping it concealed and have never had a problem.

NavyLCDR
March 1, 2013, 12:03 AM
There's no law against it in Oregon, so unless it's posted on the door any regular old bank branch is fine to carry into (so long as it stays concealed).

Open carry in a bank is legal in all but a few cities in Oregon.

Yelovitz_503
March 1, 2013, 03:47 PM
Open carry in a bank is legal in all but a few cities in Oregon.

Yeah but I live in/near a few of those cities... Portland, Tigard, Oregon City, even in Lake Oswego (where I'm pretty sure it's legal to open carry) you'll end up spending a lot more time talking to the police than you wanted to that day, even if what you're doing is legal. (L.O. police just have nothing to do, so the slightest thing gets turned into a state of emergency).

The OP was just asking about carry in general into a bank, not necessarily open carry. IMHO open carry is generally more trouble than it's worth, but that's just me. I would think a person can reasonably expect to catch some grief open carrying into a bank even if they are well within their rights to do so, and not threatening in any way. It's just the nature of where you are, but I wouldn't do it here in Oregon just to be safe.

NavyLCDR
March 1, 2013, 05:13 PM
Yeah but I live in/near a few of those cities... Portland, Tigard, Oregon City, even in Lake Oswego (where I'm pretty sure it's legal to open carry) you'll end up spending a lot more time talking to the police than you wanted to that day, even if what you're doing is legal. (L.O. police just have nothing to do, so the slightest thing gets turned into a state of emergency).

I would think a person can reasonably expect to catch some grief open carrying into a bank even if they are well within their rights to do so, and not threatening in any way. It's just the nature of where you are, but I wouldn't do it here in Oregon just to be safe.

I think part of the negativity surrounding open carry comes from speculations made by those who haven't. For example, I have open carried in Navy Federal Credit Union in Oak Harbor, WA numerous times, including into the account representative's office and received no comments or strange looks. 95% of the public here in Washington either never notices or never indicate that they notice. 4% that notice show some type of support with a positive comment or positive gesture or ask an honest question. Of the 1% that show a negative reaction, the majority and most vehement of those are the people that can't resist telling me they carry their gun concealed and I should too.

That's just been my real life experiences in several years of open carrying in Washington, including places such as the credit union and SEATAC International Airport.

If you enjoyed reading about "Carry in a Bank?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!