Mosin M-38

PDA

Jimbo53
February 21, 2013, 07:15 AM
http://www.classicfirearms.com/m38rifle
Anybody looking for a M-38. I didn't think these would come back again. Much better price than my local classifieds or GB. Ordered one last night.

If you enjoyed reading about "Mosin M-38" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
stubbicatt
February 21, 2013, 09:06 AM
Wow. They are climbing up the price ladder these days. I sent an email asking were these counterbored, which is a deal killer for me.

primalmu
February 21, 2013, 11:10 AM
Dang! With my schedule I can't arrange to be home for delivery otherwise I'd jump on one.

chris in va
February 21, 2013, 02:16 PM
I had one. Never did find a use for it. Recoil wasn't much fun after a couple reloads.

caribou
February 21, 2013, 04:21 PM
Theres a couple around that my daughters use.

Very handy and lite, great Bear protection while berry picking or cutting Salmon, and the girls can pack it all the do da day and it's easy to shoot for them as well, so a couple more might just be in order......

Great little rifle, well worth getting.

fanchisimo
February 21, 2013, 05:47 PM
Stubbicatt, have they answered your question yet?

armoredman
February 21, 2013, 05:57 PM
I had a counterbored M-38 years ago, fun and accurate little carbine. With reloads they were easy shooting - with factory surplus...well, all I can say is Uncle Ivan was one tough old bird! Chech Silvertip light ball makes a HUGE fireball out of these things.

stubbicatt
February 21, 2013, 10:20 PM
They said they don't know they don't check for counterbore, but they might be.

I guess it is a crapshoot.

Jackal
February 21, 2013, 11:14 PM
I just ordered twelve of them.:) Thanks for letting me know they were in stock. This is the first time in years these have been available. In my opinion they are overall the best mosin ever made, aside from the Finns.

ifit
February 21, 2013, 11:28 PM
i have an m-38 and is counterbored and shoots great. if i did not have one, and found them available i would not let the counterbored stop me from buying one, who knows when you will find this much m38s in one place again for sale....well maybe gettin less now, as one person said he bought 12 already

caribou
February 22, 2013, 12:17 AM
Counterboreing was the way they restored accuracy with a fresh crown, and being recessd, the crown was better protected. Accuracy with a counter bore is better than one with a bum crown and not delt with.

M-38's were often issued to artillery and truck drivers nd weather would rust the crown and last 2 or so inches of the bore, as these rifles were more often racked or stored and not cleaned/inspected daily. A bit of neglect due to other duties than shooting.

Its not easy to find an M-38 refurrb thats not been counter bored. If your a collector, its no big deal, its arsenal done, but if you want one with no refinnishing, you gotta look hard.

fanchisimo
February 22, 2013, 01:57 PM
I ordered mine this morning. Been meaning to get a mosin for a while and since you guys said they are getting more rare, I figured I should go ahead. I want to thank and curse you all at the same time. :D

bhhacker
February 22, 2013, 03:56 PM
Shoot. by the time i got to this thread they were all sold out.

better luck next time i guess.

Enjoy your 12 rifles Jackal :P

Jackal
February 22, 2013, 06:26 PM
Enjoy your 12 rifles Jackal :P

Haha, I'll sell you one.:D:neener:

If you enjoyed reading about "Mosin M-38" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!