How Many New, First Time Gun Owners?

PDA

SharpsDressedMan
February 21, 2013, 11:55 AM
I'm sure NICS knows how many people in the last four months have applied for background checks that have never done so before. THAT would be an interesting topic for discussion and study. That would be indicative of what effect Obama and the anti-gunners have "stimulated" the people previously "on the fence".

If you enjoyed reading about "How Many New, First Time Gun Owners?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Sam1911
February 21, 2013, 11:57 AM
No, NICS doesn't know whether anyone's purchased a gun before. They simply check your name against a list of prohibited persons and then forget it. The computer doesn't run you name and say, "wow, your 57th gun!" The machine has no idea.

miller.lyte
February 21, 2013, 12:09 PM
FWIW, I bought my first pistol a week after sandy hook, but it wasn't because of it. I had plans to buy it at the show weeks before the shooting ever happened. I'm sure I'm not the only one in that case. Nonetheless, it would make for an interesting study and no doubt yield some informative data, if it were possible in the first place. But I'm glad it's not.

Outlaw Man
February 21, 2013, 12:26 PM
I got to help a coworker get started a few weeks ago. He owns a small business on the side and wanted one mostly for his protection there.

He's now hooked.

I, too, would like to know how many new gun owners came from these events, but I'm also glad there's no way to know.

sidheshooter
February 21, 2013, 12:32 PM
I don't know about *completely* new gun owners. Some, for sure, just based on numerous recent walk-bys at the Cabela's gun counter. Now, newbie AR owners is a whole 'nuther thing: that's probably epic.

41wheelgun
February 21, 2013, 12:50 PM
I'm not new to firearms, but I am new to the AR. Got one about a month ago.

9MMare
February 21, 2013, 01:25 PM
No, NICS doesn't know whether anyone's purchased a gun before. They simply check your name against a list of prohibited persons and then forget it. The computer doesn't run you name and say, "wow, your 57th gun!" The machine has no idea.

This is what I thought too.

It's one of the reasons I went out and purchased a gun the weekend after the Newtown shooting. I wanted the govt to know....we're not going away.

Queen_of_Thunder
February 21, 2013, 01:45 PM
I would say we added about 2.5 million new shooters since the election.

SharpsDressedMan
February 21, 2013, 02:36 PM
Any guess is as good as mine. I'm very glad we added a new section of the voting community to the "now I am a gun owner" community. They might vote accordingly.....next time.

happygeek
February 21, 2013, 02:40 PM
I and the wife bought our first guns following the election of our Fearless Leader in 2008, but not because of him. I came back from a stint being OCONUS in Jan 2009, got married, and wanted a 1911. I didn't even know there was a panic going on until I found this forum while Googling how to zero a M1A.

Now that I halfway know what's going on I'm sitting this panic out. Come to think of it I haven't bought a firearm that wasn't a C&R since mid 2010.

loose noose
February 21, 2013, 02:44 PM
I know my firearms safety class has increased by about 40%, since Obama announced his new gun control agenda. At least 90% of those taking the class never owned a handgun before, and a lower percentage of those taking the class went hunting with a shotgun. Very interesting to say the least.:)

If you enjoyed reading about "How Many New, First Time Gun Owners?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!