Suggestions for removing black finish from Schrade XT2B blade?

PDA

Inazone
February 21, 2013, 04:58 PM
I bought a used Schrade XT2B (USA version) on eBay a while back, and the black finish on the blade was in pretty rough shape. I already have another of the same knife that sits on a shelf, and I'd like the "beater" to be my around-the-house work knife, but I'd still prefer that it not look like it was run over by a tank.

Any suggestions?

If you enjoyed reading about "Suggestions for removing black finish from Schrade XT2B blade?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rcmodel
February 21, 2013, 05:08 PM
Might try a Scotch-Brite pad.
Or black 240 emory paper and block sand it.

rc

hso
February 21, 2013, 10:25 PM
It is probably an epoxy coated blade so you'll have to put some work into it.

rcmodel
February 22, 2013, 11:34 AM
+1

I took the Black-T coating off of a Benchmade once.

I used my power buffer and various grades of polishing compound.

And it still took some doing to get it all off.

Upon further reflection on the OP's question?
Find somebody with a bead blaster and bead blast it..

rc

CWL
February 22, 2013, 05:46 PM
What's wrong with epoxy remover? I've used this successfully several times back when I was buying coated blades. Coat, wait, scrape and repeat. Steel is a surface that this stuff works very well with because of relative non-porous feature.

Never tried with Benchmade, but should have same results if it is epoxy coat.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSUSGwxV_7DmD1Oh5ilYivt48eMs9W14DuipNRxZd4C7ErJnsPV

rcmodel
February 23, 2013, 11:04 AM
I have no idea what coating Schrade is using.

But a lot of companies have switched from baked paints & epoxies like Black-T to DLC, or Diamond Like Carbon.
That is a gas plasma application process, and I don't think paint stripper is going to touch it.

It is so highly abrasion resistant you can hardly scratch it.

rc

Inazone
February 23, 2013, 11:22 AM
Well, this definitely isn't DLC or anything of particularly high quality. Not on par with what Benchmade uses, that's for sure.

If you enjoyed reading about "Suggestions for removing black finish from Schrade XT2B blade?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!