Reloading and shooting .400 CorBon

PDA

g_one
February 21, 2013, 08:36 PM
So as tax money draws nearer, I'm putting the finishing touches on my decision to purchase another firearm. Unless by some chance I stumble across a 6" Taurus 608 (unlikely), I will almost certainly be getting a 1911 chambered .45.

However, I am also going to be getting into reloading (primarily for my .30-30), and I'm wondering that, since I'm going to be reloading, if something like the .400 corbon wouldn't be a bad idea. As far as I understand, necked-down cases are more difficult to reload, especially for beginners. Should I just stick to the .45? I'm also going to post in the autoloader section about the shooting aspects of the .400

If you enjoyed reading about "Reloading and shooting .400 CorBon" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
cfullgraf
February 21, 2013, 09:04 PM
I load 38/45 Clerke (45 ACP necked down to 38 caliber) and do not find it any more difficult to reload than any other handgun cartridge.

Make sure you have adequate neck tension.

The resizing dies for bottle neck handgun cases are generally steel which require the use of lubricant so the cases need to be cleaned at some point. There are some work arounds to this but I have not tried them.

I clean my cases after resizing and neck expanding but before reloading.

Forming the 38/45 Clerke cases are easy. They just have several steps and take a little time and care to prevent damaging the case.

I also load 357 Sig and have not had any issues with loading it, but I have only loaded a few hundred rounds for it so far.

gamestalker
February 21, 2013, 09:40 PM
I have one of those Taurus 608's, quite accurate and very sturdy. Just don't expect any fine wheel gun attributes though, they are rough. But for $450 it's definitely not a bad piece for hunting or just plain blasting hot stuff out of.

GS

7.62 Nato
April 22, 2013, 01:04 PM
Are forming dies necessary to make 400 CB out of 45 ACP brass, or do you just run them through the standard 400 CB reloading dies?

ReloaderFred
April 22, 2013, 01:48 PM
You just run the .45 acp cases into the .400 Cor-Bon sizing die, which will neck the case down. The expander will make it the right size.

I've found that the thicker .45 acp brass works best for forming into .400 Cor-Bon, so I prefer Winchester as my first choice, with Federal next. PMC also forms well into .400 Cor-Bon. The thinner cases such as Remington result in more neck wrinkles, at least in my experience.

I've also gotten the best results with bullets in the 150 to 165 grain range. I tried the 135 gr. bullets, but didn't like them.

Hope this helps.

Fred

Walkalong
April 22, 2013, 01:50 PM
While it isn't hard to reload, it isn't as easy as .45 ACP, which is as easy as it gets.

I bought Starline .400 Corbon brass. Make sure you have good neck tension. Crimping can be somewhat problematic since you will be using bullets with no cannelure. You have to crimp lightly if you do crimp. Still not hard though.

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=107842&stc=1&d=1256410756

7.62 Nato
April 22, 2013, 06:14 PM
Is spray on case lube sufficient or does it require something else? I'm planning to start out with W231/HP38 since it works well with the .45 and I have it on hand. I also have a few other powders but I'll have to check which would be preferred. Anybody have a different favorite?

ReloaderFred
April 22, 2013, 06:56 PM
Spray on case lube works just fine. You're only really sizing the neck. Some people size their brass in a carbide .45 acp die first, and that reduces the amount of sizing required in the .400 Cor-Bon die.

For powders, I ended up settling on Accurate Arms #7 and #9 for most of my loads with 155 gr. bullets.

Hope this helps.

Fred

hentown
April 22, 2013, 07:48 PM
I've loaded a bunch of .400 Cor-Bons and .40 Supers. I much prefer the .40 Super...more case capacity and more neck.

I wi$h I'd discovered 10mm before I $pent $o much money and time screwing around with .400 Cor-Bon. I took Peter Pi's (prez of Cor-Bon) advice and bought a hand canneluring tool. After blowing up my first G21, shooting .400 Cor-Bon, said KB caused by a feedramp-induced setback, I started canneluring all the bullets I used for .400 Cor-Bon and .40 Super. I roll-crimped into the cannelures, using an RCBS .400 Cor-Bon seating/crimping die.

7.62 Nato
April 22, 2013, 08:02 PM
I bought my first gun, and a few others from Peter at P&Ts. I guess one reason I like the 400 CB is because it's "homegrown". Now that I have my dies I'll be shooting it more. I still keep my 1911 stoked with 185 grain .45s I stocked up on before he moved.

nix4me
April 22, 2013, 10:39 PM
My opinion is to stick with 45 ACP. Forming your own brass is time consuming. Buying it is expensive. Range pickups of 45 ACP is usually free. Use the extra money you save to load more 45 ACP and shoot more 45 ACP. :)

ReloaderFred
April 23, 2013, 12:15 AM
Forming .400 Cor-Bon brass from .45 acp is done in one stroke of the press handle, the same as sizing the parent case. Range pickups of .45 acp brass is free, which makes the .400 Cor-Bon brass, well, free...........

Hope this helps.

Fred

If you enjoyed reading about "Reloading and shooting .400 CorBon" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!