When will Speer discontinue the Hot Core?

PDA

Kachok
February 22, 2013, 12:09 AM
When the Deep Curl was released Speer said they were phasing out the Hot Core bullets, but now two years later they still list the Hot Cores on their website and up until this panic started you could still get them pretty readily. The Hot Core is one of the real value bullets on the market and I hate to see them go, no knocking the DC bullet I am sure they will perform just fine, but they don't make them in some of the bullet weights I like.

If you enjoyed reading about "When will Speer discontinue the Hot Core?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ngnrd
February 22, 2013, 12:31 AM
I thought the Deep Curl's were replacing Gold Dot's, not Hot Cor's.

Kachok
February 22, 2013, 12:38 AM
Both, the Deep Curl IS the Gold Dot in pistol calibers from what I understand, and will be replacing the hot core in rifle though they are only made in a very limited range of bullet weights currently. I think the DC will be a good bullet, I have some for the calibers I load but if the Hot Cores are only going to be around for a little while longer I want to stock up on 150gr 308s and 120gr 6.5mm neither is available in the DC line.

Walkalong
February 22, 2013, 12:51 PM
Who said the Hot Core bullets are going away? Do you have a link to a credible source? I am sure many reloaders would like to know for sure. Maybe call Speer?

Kachok
February 22, 2013, 01:43 PM
No point in calling Speer, I tried that a few times already, I would imagine they are dealing with a huge volume of questions from all the new reloaders out there. Left them a voice mail few weeks back, still no answer. Might try an e-mail they did respond to my question about the Deep Curl in my Sweed (sadly no help there)

buck460XVR
February 22, 2013, 01:44 PM
My impression is that the Deep Curl rifle bullets are similar to GDs and handgun Deep Curls, a plated bullet(Speer calls it "the ability to electro-chemically bond the jacket to a lead core"), whereas the Hot Core is made by "Pouring molten lead into the jacket"....two completely different processes and bullets. Both are currently offered and advertised on Speer's website. I don't see either going away in the near future. Speer changed the name of it's hunting Gold Dot handgun bullets to Deep Curls to help prevent confusion between them and their defensive handgun bullets.

Kachok
February 22, 2013, 02:06 PM
Yeah the DCs are electroplated with copper, same precess you would use to chrome wheels or headers. When you do that you have a jacket/core bonded on a molecular level and that is pretty tough to break. The Hot Core is simply molten lead poured into a jacket, which is not bonded on any real level but does not need any lubrication between the jacket and core either so it is less likely to slip out then other cup and core designs. I have read 50 different places that Speer was dropping the hot core but cannot find any official press release, but then again even if they did plan on discontinuing them given the current demand for everything reloading they just might keep them around for a little while longer, why shut down the machines if they are working and you have a strong demand for the product. I load Hot Cores in 30-06 and while they are not the end all be all of bullets I think they are a pretty good bullet for what they cost, or used to cost anyway.

gamestalker
February 22, 2013, 03:12 PM
I contacted Speer a while back when I first heard about the DC and they told me that it would replace Hot Core in the rifle calibers, and of course, Gold Dots in handgun.
So I bought a box of the DC's in handgun and did my usual penetration and expansion test. I didn't use ballistic gel, I just filled a cardboard box with water after lining it with a plastic trash bag and the stuffed wet and tightly rolled up denim in it. The results were no different than what Gold Dots produced, full expansion and 100% retention. And penetration in my less than determining test was 16". I need to break down and buy some ballistic gel so I can get some useful testing done. This was .357 mag using the 158 gr. DC's.

GS

Kachok
February 22, 2013, 03:20 PM
I know the Deep Curl will penetrate and retain weight, I want to see how quickly they expand, not a tipped or HP bullet but a very soft lead core with a thin all copper jacket sounds like it might expand quick enough for thin skinned hunting, if the Federal Fussion version is any indication I would think they should work just fine, still hate to see the ol Hot Core go though.

buck460XVR
February 22, 2013, 03:38 PM
So I bought a box of the DC's in handgun and did my usual penetration and expansion test. The results were no different than what Gold Dots produced, full expansion and 100% retention.

GS

That's because they were the exact same bullet, just with a different label and name. If you look, you'll see they have the exact same product numbers. I have Older boxes of GDs for .357 mag, .44 mag and .460 mag. I also have newer boxes that call them Deep Curls. All have the same product numbers for the different named bullets in their specific caliber. Again, the bullet for handguns is not new, nor has it changed in anyway, other than the name. The name change was only to differentiate between those bullets designed for SD/HD velocities/applications and those designed for hunting velocities/applications within the same caliber.

Walkalong
February 22, 2013, 07:05 PM
I know the Deep Curl will penetrate and retain weight, I want to see how quickly they expand,Same here. I finally bought a box of Deep Curl bullets to try, but it seems from all the advertisements they are intended to penetrate further, which would put them in a different performance category than the Hot Core. Thin skinned Bama deer need fast expansion. Maybe I am reading the ads wrong. Dunno. Maybe the DC will work like a champ, but again, i don't know.

gamestalker
February 22, 2013, 11:22 PM
I'm on the same page as you in not wanting to see the Hot Core go by, by. That bullet has killed many game for me for nearly 3 decades. My best story and example of how the Hot Core performs is regarding an elk I killed back in the 1980's. I had only one shot angle of this bull and it was from the rear end. So I hit him in the spine and the .277 130 gr. Hot Core BT traveled through every single vertebra from the butt to the base of the neck. When I retrieved the bullet it was mushroomed and in complete tact. When I cleaned all the bone and flesh off it, I threw it on the scale and it had some 93%, maybe more, retention, I was just absolutely amazed. That load was pushing 3150 fps running a stiff charge of IMR-4350. I still have the bullet as proof to my buddies who ask if a .270 win. is enough cartridge for elk.

GS

Kachok
February 23, 2013, 01:28 AM
Yeah Bama deer are not the biggest in the world, took a couple this year under 80lbs, but you don't want rapid expansion and larger caliber either, the 30-06 made a mess of a few deer this year with the Game Kings, they performed perfectly.....for a deer three times that size, but blowing out bowling ball sized chunks of the offside shoulder is getting old. I am hoping for something a little LESS dramatic, how often do you get to hear a deer hunter say that? Before anyone says it I do hunt with a smaller caliber my brother is the one that HAS to use a 30 cal on dog sized deer, I was thinking of trying the 150gr Hot Core because they have a decent reputation for not blowing up a bunch of meat but still making for some impressive kills, alas it seems I won't be able to get any more since everybody is sold out and they are being dropped. Might give the Deep Curl a go, I am sure it will expend most of it's energy out the far side of a 100lbs deer, but with 30-06 power inside 100yds that is probably a good thing. I bought Deep Curls in 140gr 6.5mm, 150gr 270 cal, 160gr 7mm and 180gr 308, going to give them a once over next time I can get to the range if it EVER stops raining here. I'll let you know how they shoot.

Geno
February 23, 2013, 07:44 AM
I always liked the Speer's Hot Core for my .270 Win to varmint hunt, using the 90 grain HPs and the 100 grain SPs. They are very accurate with IRM 4064, and have unbelievable terminal effect. At 3,700 FPS, they'll tear a woodchuck nearly in-two.

I hate to see the Hot Core gone. Fortunate for me, I purchased about 1,700, Hot Core, .308 caliber, 150 grain SPs from a THR member about 3 years ago. So, I'm good for a while. Read about the DCs, but wasn't certain how well they will compare to the HCs. Time to buy a box perhaps.

Geno

Walkalong
February 23, 2013, 09:48 AM
Bama deer are not the biggest in the world, took a couple this year under 80lbs, but you don't want rapid expansion and larger caliber either, the 30-06 made a mess of a few deer this year with the Game Kings, they performed perfectly.....for a deer three times that size, but blowing out bowling ball sized chunks of the offside shoulder is getting old.

Scott at work used to shoot needle holes through deer with tough bullets with a .300 Win Mag, and lose many of them. I told him to try the Core-Lokts he had (Yea, I know, not HC), and his deer started dropping in their tracks.

Too many around here want to use way to much gun and way too tough a bullet. Then they complain that either the deer ran off, or they destroyed half of it if it was recovered.

Fairly rapid expansion and just enough gun works great, so, I pretty much agree with you.

I like the 180 Gr Hot Core in .35 Remington, and hope it doesn't go away.

FROGO207
February 23, 2013, 10:24 AM
Yep I am a fan boy of the tried and true REM Core-Lokt bullet. They may not be 1000 YD one hole wonders but out to 300 YD there is nothing finer for the price. The Hot Core bullets in my 270 are great and I have approx 400 left of a buy from some years ago. Hopefully that will keep me hunting for life with that 270 that likes them.:cool: I also have a pile of Grand Slams for it anyway.

Kachok
February 23, 2013, 04:31 PM
Agreed Walkalong, I won't use a pencil hole bullet but I gatta find the "Golden Middle" as we say in Russia. The Game Kings work great in smaller calibers but need to find something a little tougher for 30 caliber for sure, that or back them down to around 2600fps, not hunting the peanut feild anymore so I am not hitting them at 200-300 yards. Core-Lokts were my second choice but everyone is sold out and all I have in my stockpile in 30 cal is the 180gr PSP. Factory 150gr Core-Lokts shoot great in my 308 and I have a couple boxes of them, but it has been some time since I hunted with a factory load and that does not help out my 06 at all.

If you enjoyed reading about "When will Speer discontinue the Hot Core?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!