Are politicians who take an oath and break it committing fraud and perjury?

PDA

somerandomguy
February 22, 2013, 12:49 AM
Are the politicians that took an oath before they get into office swearing to preserve, protect, and defend the constitution committing fraud and perjury by lying under oath to propose gun control measures?

If you enjoyed reading about "Are politicians who take an oath and break it committing fraud and perjury?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
thefish
February 22, 2013, 01:05 AM
I vote no, because by definition, they are liars.

Texan Scott
February 22, 2013, 02:43 AM
No. Perjury is the act of lying about a material FACT known to the swearer at the time the oath is taken. Fraud is the intentional misrepresentation of material fact to aquire something, usually of financial value.

Actions against the Constitution are crimes committed under color of authority, but it is inadequate as a point of law that you disagree with their actions or their interpretation of the law. That has to be made as a finding in law by a court

Further still, this likely would not result in CRIMINAL charges (eg treason), but merely judicial nullification of a congressional or executive act.

okiewita40
February 22, 2013, 04:58 AM
I have to say yes. Since it said to preserve, protect and defend. There is nothing in the oath about being selective to which amendment or how each amendment is interpreted.

Deus Machina
February 22, 2013, 06:00 AM
Maybe not. If they don't know it's misinformation, it is simply that.
People like Feinstein, who look at and know the numbers and facts well? Yeah.

Sam1911
February 22, 2013, 06:05 AM
Almost all politicians enter their offices with some concept of how they would prefer to modify current interpretations of the Constitution, or even amend that document (as has happened once or twice).

There's really no value in trying to bring a perjury suit against a politician because his vision of what the Constitution is, or should be, or how it should be interpreted doesn't match yours. That's just idle talk.

Ehtereon11B
February 22, 2013, 06:53 AM
They swear the oath with crossed fingers.

x_wrench
February 22, 2013, 07:00 AM
i voted no. personally my belief is they are committing TREASON. and as such, should be subject to hanging.

beatledog7
February 22, 2013, 08:35 AM
How can we vote on a poll in which the OP asks the question three different ways?

Al Thompson
February 22, 2013, 09:06 AM
I'm not seeing this as being on-topic, sorry. :scrutiny:

If you enjoyed reading about "Are politicians who take an oath and break it committing fraud and perjury?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!