Browning Hi Power..

PDA

CNobbe
February 22, 2013, 08:40 PM
Anyone know if/when Browning will decide to make a run of them? My local shop used to have 3, one in each model and they were slow sellers. The last one they had a Mark III was donated towards a raffle which ticked me off.

I know the panic buying has us all going crazy, but yikes.

If you enjoyed reading about "Browning Hi Power.." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
sub-moa
February 23, 2013, 09:41 AM
Browning doesn't make squat, Fabrique Nationale (FN) of Herstal, Belgium makes the BHP. FN uses Browning as its US importer, and they...FN/Browning, are not known for sharing information ;):D

KimberLover
February 23, 2013, 10:10 AM
CNobble,
I did some trading with a rent a cop years ago.
He had a Browning Hi Power in 9mm.
I thought I got beat up on the trade, but later I found out that I came out llike a champ.
Turns out, the pistol had the German flying eagle on each part and all parts matched the serial number.
Seems like this cop's uncle had given him the pistol.
His uncle was a soldier in the war with Germany.
I did a little online search and discovered it was made in 1938 and was a officers issue.
I had the gun at the range years later as I decided to shot it.
A guy was watching me and came over to talk.
He asked if I wanted to sell it. To which I replied $1200.00 would get it.
He agreed to pay the $1200.00 if I would write a letter explaining where I got it and document the Hi Power's past.
I have two new Hi Powers in my safe (One with laser and one without) but I would like to move on to my passion of 38 supers.
If interested, drop me an email. I'll explain how cheap they are later.

JohnBT
February 23, 2013, 11:07 AM
"FN uses Browning as its US importer"

They used to use them, now they own them. :)

A local gun store has a new BHP for sale. It appears to be blue. I know what a black MKIII looks like because I own one. Oh, the price is well over $900. Dang.

Outlaw Man
February 23, 2013, 11:11 AM
That would have been a cool Hi Power!!!

I wonder if they're making the 22LR 1911s on the same production line? Might explain some of the shortage.

tarosean
February 23, 2013, 11:12 AM
you can find them New in Box at most of the auction sites.. i.e. gunbroker.com

bannockburn
February 23, 2013, 12:29 PM
CNobbe

If an original Hi-Power is too difficult to locate or too expensive for your budget, then you might want to consider getting a clone like those made in Hungary by FEG or the Argentian produced FM.

CNobbe
February 23, 2013, 07:02 PM
Had my local shop do some digging for me, and through Browning, there are non available (and of course non of the distributors have any).\

Next step is checking with their Browning rep and seeing what he/she says.

A friend of mine has a nice "Practical" model two tone I'm going to buy, although I really wanted a blued one. Had one in my hand once with paperwork ready to go, payment made and...another Talo Colt 1911 came in and I took that instead at the time.

sub-moa
February 23, 2013, 07:09 PM
"FN uses Browning as its US importer"

They used to use them, now they own them.

:scrutiny: Actually they still use them...like other major corporations use their subsidiaries...and have done so for over 35 years :)

trickyasafox
February 24, 2013, 12:58 AM
I just picked up a MkII made in 85 from Cole's. They have since pulled their GB ads for reasons that are unknown to me, but internet lore says Mr Cole had some health issues and keeping up with the recent craze has been beyond their capabilities (again, internet rumor, so take it for what it is worth, I do personally believe the health portion).

It is in excellent shape and the price was reasonable. I may contact them if I were you and see if / when they will be putting more up for sale. It was a great deal.

PabloJ
February 24, 2013, 01:20 AM
Last previously unsold sample Assembled in Portugal had $999 tag on it.:eek: Few months ago CSA had FEG HP clone in very good shape for $299. I would buy something like that instead. Handguns are just tools so why pay premium for dated technology?

tarosean
February 24, 2013, 01:30 AM
so why pay premium for dated technology?
LOL, there hasn't been new technology in 50 yrs.. You can only reinvent the wheel so much.

PabloJ
February 24, 2013, 01:38 AM
LOL, there hasn't been new technology in 50 yrs.. You can only reinvent the wheel so much.
Please help me with this. New hammer with unbreakable handle is $20 and old one with wooden handle should cost $60?

ljnowell
February 24, 2013, 01:59 AM
Please help me with this. New hammer with unbreakable handle is $20 and old one with wooden handle should cost $60?

Not a fair or accurate comparison. New guns are not unbreakable and there is much more to classic styled hanguns than old with a wooden handle. There are unseen issues at play, like craftsmanship, quality, etc.

PabloJ
February 24, 2013, 02:20 AM
The only ones with craftsmanship, quality, etc HPs are custom shop ones engraved with hand tools that cost several grand each. Don't get me wrong one does not need any engraving to get bench assembled/hand-fitted firearm Korth Waffen weapon being perfect example of that. I hate to bust your bubble but standard HP is mass-roduced tool.

ljnowell
February 24, 2013, 04:06 AM
The only ones with craftsmanship, quality, etc HPs are custom shop ones engraved with hand tools that cost several grand each. Don't get me wrong one does not need any engraving to get bench assembled/hand-fitted firearm Korth Waffen weapon being perfect example of that. I hate to bust your bubble but standard HP is mass-roduced tool.

Mass produced and craftsmanship are not mutually exclusive. You can have both. For example not a single bit of hand fitting is done on a glock. Its a simple matter of take a part from each bin and assemble it.

Also, you greatly neglect the fact that most Americans are not limited to a certain amount of guns, or a small list of specific types. All but three of my firearms were purchased because of thier beauty(and most of them are mass produced) or because i have just always wanted it. These are not "tools." Some are "toys" others, in my opinion, are art. Plain and simple, to me they represent some of the greatest design skill, machining and finishing ability.

Thats why the old hammer still cost more than the new unbreakable one. Because the new unbreakable one usually doesnt have the "thing" that catches a guys eye.

gscrasher
February 24, 2013, 04:27 PM
I would refer anyone interested in the BHP to take a look at Stephen Camps website.
He, unfortunately, passed on not long ago.

http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/

CNobbe
February 24, 2013, 07:57 PM
Folks, I really am not concerned over the "technology" as the 1911 is a much older design that's just been altered over the years..lol

I just want a Hi Power as to me it is a classic firearm made of metal and looks really good in any finish. :)

I'm not going to use it for carry as it weights 2lbs, and I really don't want a single action only gun for defense...YMMV.

I want one simply because everyone and their brother makes a 1911, but only Browning or FN and some eastern europeans make Hi Powers.. ;)

Certaindeaf
February 24, 2013, 08:53 PM
A 1911 weighs three pounds.

tarosean
February 24, 2013, 10:24 PM
I'm not going to use it for carry as it weights 2lbs, and I really don't want a single action only gun for defense...YMMV.

FWIW Like the 1911 its easily carried as its so thin..

As I said earlier you can find good deals you just have to look for them Auction places, state classified, our classifieds. gun site classifieds, etc. etc.

Here is mine.

http://i1265.photobucket.com/albums/jj507/tarosean/AB06CBFB-1265-4B5B-A24F-51CCFBDCF64E-2545-00000224A33B3E90_zps73acbf7d.jpg

PabloJ
February 24, 2013, 11:57 PM
While old-fashioned "grandpas guns" the alloy framed ones that were issued to some police units in Europe aren't that bad as carry pieces.

PabloJ
February 25, 2013, 12:22 AM
Anyone know if/when Browning will decide to make a run of them? My local shop used to have 3, one in each model and they were slow sellers. The last one they had a Mark III was donated towards a raffle which ticked me off.

I know the panic buying has us all going crazy, but yikes.
If you want all steel one I would look for one chambered for the 7,65 Parabellum cartridge.
As absurd as it may sound unlike with 9mm Parabellum if you live in red state you will be able to order large quantity of ammo to your doorstep.:what:

dogtown tom
February 25, 2013, 12:06 PM
PabloJ The only ones with craftsmanship, quality, etc HPs are custom shop ones engraved with hand tools that cost several grand each....
Horsehockey.:rolleyes:
Any Hi Power manufactured by FN will have excellent fit and finish.
I've owned as many as twenty HP's, currently have a dozen ranging from 1964 to 2008 production and other than the different finishes (polished blue, silver chrome, nickel, parkerized and matte black) the guns are virtually identical........and not a one was from a custom shop or cost several grand.

PabloJ If you want all steel one I would look for one chambered for the 7,65 Parabellum cartridge.
As absurd as it may sound unlike with 9mm Parabellum if you live in red state you will be able to order large quantity of ammo to your doorstep.
Worst.Advice.Ever.
1. 7.65 Parabellum HP's are fairly difficult to find, certainly much more difficult that a 9mm or .40
2. 7.65Para or .30Luger isn't going to be found at WalMart or many gunstores. Any cheap milsurp disappeared decades, nay MANY decades ago.
If you do find some Fiocci expect to pay $25 for a box of 50.....not exactly plinking prices.
3. If he cant order 9mm to his doorstep what makes you think 7.65 will be okay?:scrutiny:

Certaindeaf
February 25, 2013, 01:04 PM
While old-fashioned "grandpas guns"..
We'll see who has the last laugh when your plastic precious disintegrates to powder in a hunderd years. lolz

PabloJ
February 25, 2013, 03:25 PM
Horsehockey.:rolleyes:
I've owned as many as twenty HP's, currently have a dozen ranging from 1964 to 2008 production and other than the different finishes (polished blue, silver chrome, nickel, parkerized and matte black) the guns are virtually identical........and not a one was from a custom shop or cost several grand.

Worst.Advice.Ever.
1. 7.65 Parabellum HP's are fairly difficult to find, certainly much more difficult that a 9mm or .40
2. 7.65Para or .30Luger isn't going to be found at WalMart or many gunstores. Any cheap milsurp disappeared decades, nay MANY decades ago.
If you do find some Fiocci expect to pay $25 for a box of 50.....not exactly plinking prices.
3. If he cant order 9mm to his doorstep what makes you think 7.65 will be okay?:scrutiny:
There are 117 boxes of 7,65 Parabellum at $19.99 ready to go. The 9 Parabellum ZERO is stock and no backorders accepted. OH BOY!

hso
February 25, 2013, 03:48 PM
Check if that's hollow point or unjacketed lead soft point or FMJ at $20/box.

For practice, FMJ or soft point can be fine. For defensive ammunition, JHP is preferable. If there was a JHP 30 luger at that price it would be a good deal. For practice ammunition it is pretty steep compared to what you would pay for 9mm (I just purchased 350 rounds of Blazer Brass 115gr 9mm at Gander for $125 on Friday) and there's no ready source of defensive ammunition (although I wish there were).

CNobbe
February 25, 2013, 08:06 PM
Thats the exact gun Hi Power "practical" a friend of mine is offering..

tarosean
February 25, 2013, 09:11 PM
[Thats the exact gun Hi Power "practical" a friend of mine is offering..

FWIW I paid around 600 for mine. Thou some stuff has been added to it since. It's one of my favorite handguns I own..

gbw
February 26, 2013, 12:04 AM
Horsehockey.

Beg to differ.

I've owned a few also. If FN owns Browning this isn't correct.

I bought a brand new Hi-Power Classic FS 9mm (high polish blue, adjustable sight, 2x13-rd. mags) in early December. I ordered it from Buds, they delivered effeciently and I accepted it without looking close - it's a Browning right? Big mistake. Price $940 delivered.

It is the worst gun buy I've ever made, the worst fit and finish of any Hi-Power I've ever seen or heard of. I don't think it's a fluke based on a couple others I've been able to look at since.

NOTHING like the 70's or 50's models I still own, not even close, those old guns are clean and crisp, beautiful in fit, finish, polish, blueing, and function.

In the new model the metal surfaces were rough finished, then some gorilla leaned on a buffing wheel in a cheap attempt to compensate. Dished pin holes, smeared markings, corners rounded to the point they dissappear. The slide serrations are so shiny it's hard to grasp the slide to rack it. The rails are polished round on the frame. The mag safety is plastic. 15 lb. trigger, rough and gritty, horrible even by Hi-Power standards. The cast parts (many) are crude and show casting porosity. Front sight stripe off center. Hammer serrations are cast in and too dull to reliably thumb cock. Whatever they used to paint the trigger has already flaked away. The stocks don't fit, hang way off the back. The gun's a mess.

Browning should really be ashamed to use their fine reputation to sell this junk.

I'd look for a mint condition older model.

DPris
February 26, 2013, 04:21 PM
I've never seen an FN product as shoddily made as what you describe.
Denis

ljnowell
February 27, 2013, 05:32 AM
Beg to differ.

I've owned a few also. If FN owns Browning this isn't correct.

I bought a brand new Hi-Power Classic FS 9mm (high polish blue, adjustable sight, 2x13-rd. mags) in early December. I ordered it from Buds, they delivered effeciently and I accepted it without looking close - it's a Browning right? Big mistake. Price $940 delivered.

It is the worst gun buy I've ever made, the worst fit and finish of any Hi-Power I've ever seen or heard of. I don't think it's a fluke based on a couple others I've been able to look at since.

NOTHING like the 70's or 50's models I still own, not even close, those old guns are clean and crisp, beautiful in fit, finish, polish, blueing, and function.

In the new model the metal surfaces were rough finished, then some gorilla leaned on a buffing wheel in a cheap attempt to compensate. Dished pin holes, smeared markings, corners rounded to the point they dissappear. The slide serrations are so shiny it's hard to grasp the slide to rack it. The rails are polished round on the frame. The mag safety is plastic. 15 lb. trigger, rough and gritty, horrible even by Hi-Power standards. The cast parts (many) are crude and show casting porosity. Front sight stripe off center. Hammer serrations are cast in and too dull to reliably thumb cock. Whatever they used to paint the trigger has already flaked away. The stocks don't fit, hang way off the back. The gun's a mess.

Browning should really be ashamed to use their fine reputation to sell this junk.

I'd look for a mint condition older model. '

I would love to see the pics of that!

Hawaii Guy
February 27, 2013, 06:43 AM
Aloha,

After reading this, I went to my safe and dug out my Hi Power.

Made in Belgium by FN on one side of slide and

Browning, Morgan Utah on other side.

Gun has matching SN on barrel and frame.

I've had it for years. If memory serves me correctly, it will cycle empty cases.

The Wife and my FFL guy has been on my case about thinning the herd and

the Browning may go on the chopping block along with a bunch of others.

How does one go about pricing a Browning?

BBBBill
February 27, 2013, 08:40 AM
I just picked up a MkII made in 85 from Cole's. They have since pulled their GB ads for reasons that are unknown to me, but internet lore says Mr Cole had some health issues...

Happened several months ago. He is recovering and back at work. From a local newspaper -

Kentucky State Police have released the identity of an intruder who was shot and killed Thursday during a home invasion in Scottsville. Steven Dale Cole, 58, of Smiths Grove was shot to death. The homeowner, Gary L. Cole, 58, was shot when the two exchanged gunfire. The men are related but are not brothers. Police declined to elaborate. Gary Cole is listed in critical condition at Vanderbilt University Medical Center in Nashville.

Bullet Bob
February 27, 2013, 10:27 AM
"A 1911 weighs three pounds."

Nuh-uh.

Most all steel 5" 1911's weigh around 39 ounces.

gbw
February 27, 2013, 10:36 AM
I've never seen an FN product as shoddily made as what you describe.
Denis

I would love to see the pics of that!

I'd never seen such either, I've owned several HPs and still own 2 others. Beautiful pistols, among the most reiable I've ever seen and they have the nice Browning habit of piling up the empties in a neat little pile.

Based on all of them all I had no problem ordering the $940 Browning sight unseen - I liked the way they handled the adjustable sight installation. And from a distance it's pretty, but imo it should be a $450 gun, not more 2x that amount and is not up to older Browning standards.

I'll try for the pics if folks are really interested - the gun is highly polished which makes it hard to photograph (for me).

Torian
February 27, 2013, 10:41 AM
This is mine. Still my favorite carry piece. Not one malfunction since I started shooting it over 10 years ago.

Mine reads "Made in Belgium / Assembled in Portugal" on one side, and "Browning Arms Company Morgan, Utah, and Montreal P.Q." on the other side.

No fit or finish issues with this one. I love the hard chrome finish.

Deaf Smith
February 27, 2013, 08:03 PM
Now some third world countries that make P-35 knockoffs might not be so good. FEGs are ok but NOT to FN standards. FMs from Argentina are ok also but not like FN.

So maybe that is what is the poster is thinking of.

I've owned several P-35s, made IPSC class 'A' with a P-35 long time ago before they started using compensators and such and I can tell you the P-35 would run and run. Never a jam and I won many a trohpy cause I simply had a gun that worked every time!

Deaf

If you enjoyed reading about "Browning Hi Power.." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!