Larry Potterfield and MidwayUSA

PDA

slamfirev10
February 22, 2013, 07:40 PM
i just received this email, no wonder I have the warm fuzzies for Larry Potterfield and Midway USA

Dear Valued Customer,

In the spring of ‘77, I left the Air Force and moved to Columbia, MO to pursue my dream of running a gun shop. You see, I’d always loved the outdoors; especially shooting and hunting. Some of my fondest childhood memories involve shooting and hunting with my dad and brothers. Then, as an adult, some of my greatest joys have come while shooting and hunting with my wife, my kids, my friends and now my grandkids. I love this industry, I love our way of life and I love serving Customers.

Now, our way of life is being challenged like never before and our Customers are responding with a flood of orders. In the 35 years I’ve been in business, I’ve never seen anything like this.

We’re monitoring the political environment, our industry’s capabilities and our business on a daily basis and making policy and process changes to better serve Customers. But please understand, while we’re still able to get most orders out the same day they’re placed, you may experience longer than normal wait times on the phone or when you chat with us on the web. Also, it’s taking us a few extra days to respond to emails. Finally, we’re out of a bunch of products I know you want which breaks my heart. And when we do get them in, they rarely spend the night in the building because they’re ordered almost immediately. We’re tirelessly working to get products in the door and out to Customers as fast as we can. But, until supply catches up with demand, we’re having to limit quantities and backorders on certain products.

One thing we haven’t done is change our prices because of this surge in demand. Prices do change from time to time as they always have, but we’d never change prices because of something like this. Our pricing strategy is one of the reasons we’ve put quantity limits on certain products. We’ve all seen certain products selling two or three times higher than normal, and MidwayUSA doesn’t want to enable that type of activity. Also, we want to serve as many Customers as possible when we receive high-demand products. If it’s any consolation, none of our Employees can order products with quantity limits (myself included). We’ve all agreed to put Customers first. And that’s the way it’ll always be at MidwayUSA.

As always, everything we do is intended to be in the best interest of our Customers and we’re eternally grateful for your patience and loyalty.

Thanks for Your Business!

If you enjoyed reading about "Larry Potterfield and MidwayUSA" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
joeschmoe
February 22, 2013, 07:42 PM
He already has a lot of my money.

wally
February 22, 2013, 07:45 PM
I've done business with Midway for a long time, first class operation. Brownell's too.

beatledog7
February 22, 2013, 07:49 PM
Larry's on my "Five People to Invite for Dinner" list.

joeschmoe
February 22, 2013, 07:52 PM
Compare this thread to the one on CTD

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=704693

Twmaster
February 22, 2013, 07:53 PM
Mr. Potterfield is a one-of-a-kind businessman these days. I've spent a lot of money with Midway and I'll continue to do so as long as Mr. Potterfield's way of doing business continues there.

Mr. Potterfield, if for some reason you see this thread please know you have my total respect. Thank you Sir.

THe Dove
February 22, 2013, 07:54 PM
He already has a lot of my money.

He/they earned it! I'm right there with you amigo.

The Dove

2zulu1
February 22, 2013, 07:55 PM
Good company to do business with. :)

browneu
February 22, 2013, 07:59 PM
I got this email too. Great company to do business. I'd recommend them to anyone.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

MachIVshooter
February 22, 2013, 08:01 PM
Midway is always the first place I look for reloading components. I like Grafs and Buffalo Arms, too, but Midway simply has better stock and (usually) better pricing.

While I believe 100% in free market capitalism, I personally prefer the no price increase/limited quantities approach. I think the vendors doing this will fair better when everything settles down. I know I appreciated Armalite doing so, as the need to get a couple more Gen II AR-10 mags became pressing here in CO, and because of their policy, I was able to get 2 more at normal pricing.

nelsonal
February 22, 2013, 08:03 PM
I've always been pleased with Midway. I understand why it's gone but I really miss their annual catalogs (those and Grizzly tool were great to flip through between projects).

blarby
February 22, 2013, 08:19 PM
I got it too

Love that larry, he's a champ.

Should just start production shops for what he needs....not like it wouldn't sell.

Inebriated
February 22, 2013, 09:13 PM
Compare this thread to the one on CTD

We need one of those laughing smilie guys... "lol" doesn't cut it for this one.

Double Vision
February 22, 2013, 09:25 PM
I have a lot of respect for Larry Potterfield and Midway USA. It's always a first class experience dealing with them.

joeschmoe
February 22, 2013, 09:30 PM
We need one of those laughing smilie guys... "lol" doesn't cut it for this one.
How about this;

(pointing to CTD)

http://images.wikia.com/simpsons/images/e/e9/Nelson_Ha-Ha.jpg

CB900F
February 22, 2013, 09:37 PM
Fella's;

I've received that e-mail also. I'm sure I got it because of the business I've done with them over the years. But they've made sure I'm going to be doing business with them for years to come.

900F

Maia007
February 22, 2013, 09:45 PM
When times are stressed, we find out who our real friends are. And who they are not.

Never forget a friend.

witchhunter
February 22, 2013, 09:59 PM
I remember when you called to order components, Larry would sometimes answer the phone. It was free shipping then. He has been great to us for a long time. Miss the free shipping though...

forindooruseonly
February 22, 2013, 10:00 PM
Much respect, for sure. When the frenzy stops and the product is on the shelf again, I know who I'll buy from and who I won't - Mr. Potterfield can count on my continued business, unlike some others who I now regret spending money with in the past.

icanthitabarn
February 22, 2013, 10:15 PM
Larry for Pres/ 2016 :)

jamesbeat
February 22, 2013, 10:22 PM
I also love Larry's youtube gunsmithing videos. Nice to know the face behind the business.
He's either a really nice guy or an incredibly shrewd businessman. I reckon he's both.

sfchemist
February 22, 2013, 10:44 PM
Midway is a class act, they are my first go-to place for my handloading supplies and equipment. Probably the most efficient and easy to use on-line store I've ever seen and coupled with their excellent customer service/communication makes them number one in my book.

TCB in TN
February 22, 2013, 10:53 PM
I have purchased a good bit from MidwayUSA over the years, and this just makes it even easier to spend more money with them!

Akita1
February 22, 2013, 10:59 PM
I also love Larry's youtube gunsmithing videos. Nice to know the face behind the business.
He's either a really nice guy or an incredibly shrewd businessman. I reckon he's both.
+1; bought my first ever upper from them over 10 years ago and try to use them whenever a need arises that my LGS cannot meet. The videos are a big help as I am not a gunsmith! Will continue to do business with them.

Tom from WNY
February 22, 2013, 11:11 PM
Honor and integrity never go out of style or grow old. Midway USA and Larry Potterfield are examples of this.

CZguy
February 22, 2013, 11:17 PM
Larry for Pres/ 2016

Oh no you don't. I can't spare him from his current position. :D

Grassman
February 22, 2013, 11:29 PM
Take note Cheaper than Dirt!, this is how you keep customers coming back year after year. You don't stick your finger in the wind and see where the political climate is blowing and price accordingly, this is called ethical business. Guess what, Midway is making money hand over fist, and I love it. You've lost my business forever CTD. I have been a customer of Midway for years, and will continue to do so. It is your business CTD to charge what ever you want for your products, that does not mean I have to buy. Good luck with your business model, I'll buy from Midway.

Sheepdog1968
February 22, 2013, 11:30 PM
Agreed. It's actually one of the few times where a commercial on tv made an impact on my purchasing habits.

Sheepdog1968
February 22, 2013, 11:31 PM
I've done business with Midway for a long time, first class operation. Brownell's too.
Agreed. It's actually one of the few times where a commercial on tv made an impact on my purchasing habits.

Grassman
February 22, 2013, 11:31 PM
Oh by the way, CTD is dead to me.

tarosean
February 22, 2013, 11:45 PM
Watching Midways Gun Stories right now...

A+ to them and what the do for the sport

Mac2
February 22, 2013, 11:57 PM
I've been a very loyal customer of Midway's for 30 years. I've always respected them due to their customer service and willingness to help. This upped the respect a little higher. I look forward to this bump in the road leveling out so as to continue getting primers and powder to burn the range up. Other than .22 and 7.62 I have not bought a factory round in probably 20+ years. Thanks Larry, for the class act.

Stress_Test
February 23, 2013, 12:32 AM
Just bought a Galco holster from them. I've bought various things from flashlights to ammo from them. The NRA roundup feature is nice too; I always chip in a few bucks.

heeler
February 23, 2013, 12:37 AM
A few weeks ago I received notice that Midway had received Independence 223 in 500 round case loads.
They were priced at $219 when practically everywhere in the land this was costing most gun owners more to the tune of $500.
So I ordered not for myself but for a very good friend who paid way too damn much for an Olympics Arms AR-15 put could not find ammo at anywhere near these prices to feed it and on top of that has never even ordered ammo online.
He was absolutely elated and that one buy gave Midway two more long term customers for the distant future buys.
First class business operation.

Trent
February 23, 2013, 12:40 AM
I just forwarded a link to this thread to a friend of mine who works as an application software developer at MidwayUSA.

Your comments will get noticed, by tomorrow I'm sure this link will get forwarded on to his coworkers. :)

thorazine
February 23, 2013, 03:41 AM
Excellent email...

Been spending money there (midway) for years now and I will continue doing so for many more to come. =D

blue32
February 23, 2013, 07:45 AM
Business Ethics:

"...and that's the way it is."

ThirtyOughtSix
February 23, 2013, 08:51 AM
My wife just rolls her eyes when the commercials come on and I refer to him as "Uncle Larry". They'll get my business for years to come.

Kristensdaddy
February 23, 2013, 09:17 AM
How 'bout Larry be elected president of the NRA. Use his business model to reduce the wasted mail-outs and such and then use his people skills to benefit the organization.

bannockburn
February 23, 2013, 09:48 AM
Great company to do business with and they've got a great man running the business.

Midway-thanks for the excellent service you have provided and keep up the good work!

CZguy
February 23, 2013, 10:03 AM
How 'bout Larry be elected president of the NRA. Use his business model to reduce the wasted mail-outs and such and then use his people skills to benefit the organization.

That, is a very good idea.

BullfrogKen
February 23, 2013, 10:26 AM
I've been shopping with MidwayUSA since back before the internet and they sent out those newspaper-quality monthly catalogues. Can't imagine how many thousands of dollars I spent their way.

They were one of the first to bring out the NRA Roundup program.

I met Gold Medalist Jamie Gray the other weekend. She said Larry personally - not from company money but personally - matches $2.00 to every $1.00 that the local gun club raises for their junior smallbore Olympic shooting program.

Larry's and the crew at Midway are awesome. They care about the industry and treat us as valued customers, not simply as a paycheck. I feel that level of customer service every time I've ever interacted with them.

And back in the 90's I too once called in an order, and Larry himself picked up the phone and took it. When I asked him why he was spending his time on the phone taking orders, doing things he paid people to do, rather than running the business . . . he said, "I am running the business. This is one of the ways I run it. I rotate some time between the warehouse, picking and packing, and on the phone taking orders every month so I know how well the policies I create work."

Awesome.

Yo Mama
February 23, 2013, 10:35 AM
If all retailers were like Mr. Potterfield, there would be a much more stable future for shooters.

They care about the industry and treat us as valued customers, not simply as a paycheck.

It's the only way we continue our way of life. I wish more people in the business would understand this.

My local archery store "rents" kids bows for a 1 dollar donation for their junior olympic program. They know that they must reach children to continue archery in the future. Treat someone like a person, and you have a great result.

thump_rrr
February 23, 2013, 10:43 AM
MidwayUSA is one of the few major players who will not ship to Canada.
From what I understand they paid a major fine to the US DDTC for shipping some ITAR controlled rifle scopes to Canada and stopped selling to Canadians since then.
They have opened up branches in many other countries but are still snubbing the USA's largest trading partner, peaceful neighbour, and closest ally.

Brownells, Natchezss,and Numrich will sell to Canadians whatever is legal to export even though it takes time and effort so I will support them before anybody else.

xfyrfiter
February 23, 2013, 10:45 AM
I would buy a lot more if they (Midway) would change their shipping policies to a "best way" or fastest and give the customer the option. A lot of items could be sent USPS flat rate packaging and the customer could choose. Other than freight, Midway is the best company out
there.

Just to clarify, I attempted to order a non restricted item (shooting mat) last year by phone, and the lady on the other end did not give me ANY options and the freight was more than the price of the mat.

BullfrogKen
February 23, 2013, 10:49 AM
When I order from Midway I get options for USPS and UPS. Not quite sure what you mean?

Creature
February 23, 2013, 10:58 AM
thump_rrr wrote: They have opened up branches in many other countries but are still snubbing the USA's largest trading partner, peaceful neighbour, and closest ally.

Not true. They do not accept orders from international retail customers, but they will accept international orders from dealer only who have sent MidwayUSA their business license for resale.

Which I think is very prudent business practice of them.

OilyPablo
February 23, 2013, 10:59 AM
Of course we all got this email. I buy from Midway when other lower cost places are out of an item. I respect their stance, but their shipping costs and double bill shipping for something they were out of is not consumer friendly and as stated, I shop elsewhere first.

Still I 100% root for places like Midway. And save your keystrokes, I don't buy from CTD (even though they do donate to 2nd Amendment causes)

lemaymiami
February 23, 2013, 12:33 PM
Not enough class acts in our business world today. When you find one they set an example for others to follow....

skoro
February 23, 2013, 01:03 PM
I've had nothing but positive experiences with Larry's outfit. :)

Fred_G
February 23, 2013, 01:28 PM
Have bought several things from Midway, will continue. CTD and some local places are on my list to never buy from again. I vote with my wallet.

fanchisimo
February 23, 2013, 02:06 PM
I just got my letter this morning and I have to say I will try to always buy from Midway now.

Shanghai McCoy
February 23, 2013, 02:08 PM
Just recieved an order of brass today, 45/70, that I ordered Thursday. Been a loyal customer since the 90's. Good people to do business with.

BullfrogKen
February 23, 2013, 02:31 PM
Just to clarify, I attempted to order a non restricted item (shooting mat) last year by phone, and the lady on the other end did not give me ANY options and the freight was more than the price of the mat.

Oh, well when I order over the 'net I get my choice of UPS or Postal Mail for non-restricted items.

I'm not sure my shooting mat would have fit in a flat rate box, and if USPS had one that would fit it, the flat rate on it would have been extremely expensive.

I shipped mine - with other items - via UPS for $25.11 two years ago.

billymarr
February 23, 2013, 03:35 PM
Got the email also and that is why I have been spending my money at Midway since 92.

jmorris
February 23, 2013, 04:11 PM
They carried me along for almost a year with a back order then dropped it, once it came back in stock. I gave them a call and was told I could reinstate the order but the price was $200 more than I had ordered it for. Will note that I could have ordered it from many other places the year before for less.

Wrote a letter to Potterfied (as a dealer for them) that went unanswered.

Get me once it's your fault, twice it's mine. No more orders from them.

Understand business as I own one and was told now they have the policy of "out of stock, no back order" but too late to keep from running me off.

mdauben
February 23, 2013, 04:19 PM
Although high demand items are going in and out of stock very fast at MUSA, I've managed to pick up several magazines as well as 9mm and .45ACP ammo at preexisting pricing from them since the panic started.

I will remember this when the panic is over and profiteers like CTD want my business.

crazyjennyblack
February 23, 2013, 04:21 PM
I've been spending money with Midway for about a decade now. Its pretty rare that I find a place where price plus shipping is lower than Midway. Also, I've noticed that things shipped from Midway tend to arrive in 2-3 days, even with regular shipping. Other places it always seems to take at least a week. Usually the stuff I order ships the same day or the next morning. I LOVE efficiency!!!

Unfortunately, they've been so efficient they are now sold out of almost everything I need or want. I can still find things online, but I've basically given up on looking at Midway for anything until the scare dies down. So many folks love Midway that it seems to sell out first!!! ;)

Once things are in stock again, I will continue to look at Midway first for my items. Love it!

crazyjennyblack
February 23, 2013, 04:24 PM
Oh, and I haven't ordered from CTD in years. Something about them wanting nearly $20 to ship pretty much anything just kind of sours you on the stuff, and then it takes them over a week to get it to you if you're lucky. I know it doesn't cost nearly that much or take that long because Midway will ship the same stuff for $8....

the_skunk
February 23, 2013, 04:33 PM
I love you Mr Larry

http://media.midwayusa.com/cms/2013_1/lwp-shouldered-gun.jpg

But where is all the 'Gall Darn' ammo

Talk is cheap. I just spent $22 for a box of 9mm PMC ammo, and $8 for a box of fifty 22s, at the local range. I notice I am always billed an extra buck for the NRA when I order from you.

I want my $11 a box 9mm back.

guitarguy314
February 23, 2013, 05:27 PM
Midway has always been my go-to site for ammo and gear and such. This email just makes me wanna go more often.

Way to go Mr. Potterfield.

SigSour
February 23, 2013, 05:46 PM
Well, looks like from hence forward I no longer have to jump from site to site to find the "best deal". It's Midway and Brownells and if they don't have it... then I guess I'll just have to wait for them to get it.

k_dawg
February 23, 2013, 06:25 PM
I have always been willing to spend slightly more to support a better business.

I often shop at Midway or Brownells first.

Ryanxia
February 23, 2013, 06:31 PM
That's great, I always viewed Midway as just another company but now I will add them to the GOOD GUYS list and try use them when I can. Thanks for the post.

Motega
February 23, 2013, 06:38 PM
I stopped by today to post this letter, and I'm glad someone beat me to it. We can all verify for ourselves that they haven't done any gouging just by looking at a catalog from 6 months ago.
I hope that the current political situation serves to galvanize 2nd amendment supporters as much as it has antis.
I was picking up a Sig P232 last week and a guy walked into the shop to pick something up overheard our conversation and said "I don't care I'll just use a bow if they outlaw rifles and shotguns". In NJ rifled shotguns will now be considered .50 rifles and the .50's are at the top of the list to go.
Thumbs up to Midway for these sentiments and policies!
And for those that aren't NRA members, consider joining up!

CZguy
February 23, 2013, 07:42 PM
Well, looks like from hence forward I no longer have to jump from site to site to find the "best deal". It's Midway and Brownells and if they don't have it... then I guess I'll just have to wait for them to get it.

I have always been willing to spend slightly more to support a better business.

I often shop at Midway or Brownells first.

I agree completely. My idea of comparison shopping is to look at Midway and Brownell's, and order from whoever has it in stock.

icanthitabarn
February 23, 2013, 10:44 PM
No E-mail from Larry :( ... but Brownell more than makes up for it.

helitack32f1
February 24, 2013, 02:03 AM
Apparently, I am the only one not in on the love fest. I was going to buy one thing from them once, it cost $7.00. And because it was only $7.00. they charged me a "special handling fee" that was nearly half the price of the item being ordered. If you order anything less then $25, you pay a "Special Handling fee" and I found this to be unacceptable, especially for something so inexpensive and that weighed less than an ounce.

Ironically, they state that the reason for this is that "Midway USA attempts to keep costs as low as possible to give you great pricing. Since we will accept any size order, there is a fee..."
Oh, really?! To save me money, you are going to nearly double the cost of my purchase? Clearly whoever came up with that idea used to be high up in the government.

I was easily able to order my cheap, light-weight thingy elsewhere without being assessed a ludicrous fee.

Dr.Rob
February 24, 2013, 03:49 AM
I got that email from Larry and at first was thinking 'oh no this is going to be bad news.'

I'll keep doing business with Midway.

thump_rrr
February 24, 2013, 07:30 AM
thump_rrr wrote:

Not true. They do not accept orders from international retail customers, but they will accept international orders from dealer only who have sent MidwayUSA their business license for resale.

Which I think is very prudent business practice of them.

I don't see Midway Canada on the list below.
What part of my statement is factually inaccurate?
I have a MidwayUSA range bag which is awesome for the price it cost when it was on special.
I had to call my cousin in the US to buy it and then ship it to me.
It's a pain in the rear end.

Midway Denmark
http://midwaydanmark.dk
Midway Finland
http://midway.fi
Midway France
http://midwayfrance.fr
Midway Germany
http://midwaydeutschland.de
Midway Italy
http://midwayitalia.it
Midway Norway
http://midway.no
Midway Spain
http://midwayspain.com
Midway Sweden
http://midway.se
Midway Switzerland
http://midwaydwiss.ch
Midway UK
http://midwayuk.com

thump_rrr
February 24, 2013, 07:35 AM
Apparently, I am the only one not in on the love fest. I was going to buy one thing from them once, it cost $7.00. And because it was only $7.00. they charged me a "special handling fee" that was nearly half the price of the item being ordered. If you order anything less then $25, you pay a "Special Handling fee" and I found this to be unacceptable, especially for something so inexpensive and that weighed less than an ounce.

Ironically, they state that the reason for this is that "Midway USA attempts to keep costs as low as possible to give you great pricing. Since we will accept any size order, there is a fee..."
Oh, really?! To save me money, you are going to nearly double the cost of my purchase? Clearly whoever came up with that idea used to be high up in the government.

I was easily able to order my cheap, light-weight thingy elsewhere without being assessed a ludicrous fee.
In the automotive world Jegs has a $10.00 or so handling fee.
They look at it as the cost for someone to pick, package, and prepare the paperwork for the order.
The difference is that Jegs will still charge the same fee even if it's a $100.00 item.

I only deal with them if it is absolutely necessary.

Nanook
February 24, 2013, 10:41 AM
I've spent many a dollar at Midway USA, and will spend many more. They are a class act.

They are the first place I go when I'm looking for gun equipment of any kind. I use others for powder and primers, but everything else I usually buy from Midway USA.

NMPOPS
February 24, 2013, 11:19 PM
Midway, my go to store!

dickz
February 25, 2013, 06:48 AM
midway is great but they sure could improve their web site. CTD's is much more user friendly, to bad they aren't as customer friendly.

JShirley
February 25, 2013, 11:01 AM
I got the email too, and appreciated it.

Midway doesn't always have the absolute best price, but they consistently ship very quickly.

carbuncle
February 25, 2013, 11:04 AM
I love Midway, and they will be number one on the list going forward.

tyeo098
February 25, 2013, 11:54 AM
He even does gunsmithing videos on youtube.

The CEO of a company, showing you how to recrown your 10/22. Absolutely amazing.

Ashcons
February 25, 2013, 12:22 PM
MidwayUSA is one of my favorite online stores! Their Youtube videos are great resources and Larry is always smiling. This environment has been an illuminating time for seeing what various companies think of how they want to treat their customers and how they view the Second Amendment.

Before the banic buying, they've always processed and gotten my orders out the door quickly and their prices are competitive. I'm waiting on a back-ordered DD stripped upper I ordered in early January, but between MFG pressure and ordering pressure, I'm not keeping my fingers crossed on receiving it right away.

mcdonl
February 25, 2013, 12:52 PM
Yeah, No offense Mr. Bane but he is my favorite spot on "The Best Defense".... "And that's the way it is" :)

wtr100
February 25, 2013, 01:10 PM
I remember when you called to order components, Larry would sometimes answer the phone. It was free shipping then. He has been great to us for a long time. Miss the free shipping though...
That happened to me once I though somebody was jerking my chain

I asked if I got a special discount on this, he said no but odds are the order would get out the door that day!

rem44m
February 25, 2013, 06:01 PM
I love Midway. I use them first! Second is Brownells. I will continue to support Midway USA anyway I can.

Shanghai McCoy
February 26, 2013, 11:26 AM
Midway is still my first choice but I forgot to give Graffs credit too. They sometimes have stuff in stock when Midway has been out.

If you enjoyed reading about "Larry Potterfield and MidwayUSA" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!