AZ Diamondbacks player shoots elk at 703 yards..

PDA

NelsErik
February 22, 2013, 08:57 PM
I am pissed off at this article and the shooter, am I wrong? Who the hell shoots an elk at 700 yards? What if he just winged it?

See the Article Here (http://www.azcentral.com/sports/diamondbacks/cactus/articles/20130214arizona-diamondbacks-willie-bloomquist-back-game.html?nclick_check=1)

Apparently, Bloomquist is also a crack shot. During their three-day hunting trip, Bloomquist bagged an elk from an incredible distance of 703 yards.

If you enjoyed reading about "AZ Diamondbacks player shoots elk at 703 yards.." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Bobson
February 22, 2013, 09:34 PM
I wouldn't go out and openly advocate a shot at that range, but it doesn't "piss me off" either. If he knows he's able to make the shot, then oh well. Its risky, but whatever. Its not like he's askin me for advice.

padd54
February 22, 2013, 09:41 PM
If you know your limitations as well as your equipment, there is nothing wrong with it. In fact, there is a very popular website, LongRangeHunting.com, that is a wealth of information on this type of hunting.
Granted, it is not for everyone. But, I would not criticize others without first knowing all the training and time spent to ensure an ethical kill.

jrdolall
February 22, 2013, 10:02 PM
I personally have no desire to shoot an elk or anything else at 700 yards. With that said I have some very close friends who build their shooting fields with ranges and it is competitive for them. They routinely shoot deer at over 800 yards.

I am not really a big fan of elk hunting with a rifle anyway. Hunting a herd animal with a rifle, be it 200 yards or 900 yards, is not something I care to do on a regular basis. For filling the freezer it is great and I understand, and have enjoyed, the mountain scenery and the challenge of getting way back in the outback but shooting a cow with a rifle at 300 yards is not for me.

ApacheCoTodd
February 22, 2013, 10:21 PM
Aside of an outright survival scenario it seems a bit irresponsible even if it did work out.

DeepSouth
February 22, 2013, 10:39 PM
The opposite makes me angry, but to each his own.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-yfUfGNG3g

Posted via iPhone so the link is probably to the mobile site.
I guess it'll work?

padd54
February 22, 2013, 10:51 PM
DeepSouth, what is the link supposed to show us?

DeepSouth
February 22, 2013, 11:36 PM
Go to you tube and search 2012 Montana buffalo hunt.

I'll fix the link up when I can get to a real pc.
Can't get on the full you tube site with my phone, at least I don't know how.

black_powder_Rob
February 23, 2013, 01:49 AM
:scrutiny: to your post there Deepsouth I can sure see how they were allmost wiped out though.

Sam1911
February 23, 2013, 06:25 AM
If he's a knowledgeable, experienced shooter using good equipment that he's practiced with a lot, he's not acting in any less of a responsible way than the average deer hunter shooting at one 200 yards away. A challenging shot, but if he's up to it (and results indicate that he IS) -- why would anyone bother themselves to get upset?

I'll wager that whole boatloads more deer are wounded and lost each year at 100 yards than are even SHOT AT at ranges greater than 500 yards each year. Which is more unethical?

jmorris
February 23, 2013, 09:45 AM
I'm with the "as long as he knows what he is doing crowd", after all we don't want Biden telling hunters all we need is a double barrel shotgun...

beatledog7
February 23, 2013, 10:37 AM
If he makes the shot, was he wrong to attempt it?

A coach says go for it on fourth and 17 from his own 23, leading by 6 with 1:35 to play, and the opposing team has no timeouts remaining. Completely fooling the defense by running off tackle, the team nets 18 yards and can now run out the clock. Was it a dumb call?

buck460XVR
February 23, 2013, 10:50 AM
Is there any difference between the guy that practices at and is proficient at 800 yards taking a 703 yard shot at an elk and the guy with the borrowed gun he's never shot taking a 80 yard shot at a whitetail? Yeah, the guy with the borrowed gun shouldn't be in the woods. With today's modern firearms, ammo and optics, a 700 yard shot at a target as large as the kill zone on an elk, is very doable by someone that has practiced at that range. I know I couldn't do it, but I know there are many out there that can.

wankerjake
February 23, 2013, 10:55 AM
If he's a knowledgeable, experienced shooter using good equipment that he's practiced with a lot, he's not acting in any less of a responsible way than the average deer hunter shooting at one 200 yards away. A challenging shot, but if he's up to it (and results indicate that he IS) -- why would anyone bother themselves to get upset?

My thoughts as well.

splattergun
February 23, 2013, 12:12 PM
You said yourself that he's a crack shot. If he's properly equipped, well-practiced, and highly confident, why not?
I can't make a 700 yard shot with enough confidence using my old -06, but 500 yards is within my limited skill. I can, and have, made a 460 yard one shot kill.
A man has got to know his limitations. 700 yards is not his limit, apparently.

Creature
February 23, 2013, 12:15 PM
I am pissed off at this article and the shooter, am I wrong?

Yes, it appears that you are.

jmr40
February 23, 2013, 02:44 PM
I cannot do it, but have a BIL that has spent the time, money and put in the effort to be able to make such shots. He has taken several deer and elk between 600-700 yards. All were 1 shot kills on bedded animals who never stood up after being hit.

I respect folks who can do such things.

If that bothers you this really will really make you mad. Almost 700 yards with a lowly 243.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hY0w1c-gf18

jrdolall
February 23, 2013, 03:32 PM
I have witnessed some of the buffalo "hunts" and they are not actually designed to be hunts at all. As I said in post #4 you are shooting with a modern weapon at an animal that uses the herd mentality as it's greatest defense against predators.

Most of the hunts for buffalo today are on a ranch and the buffalo is owned by the rancher. Once you pay the money then the animal actually belongs to you and most people are there for the meat rather than the sport. I have seen guys shoot them in the corral which is okay since it is a meat hunt. I have also seen guys shoot them with a .270 inside a corral and then give high 5s about what a great shot it was. They are basically considered the same as a cow so game laws do not apply.

I have also been on a couple of hunts for bull bison and that is a different game. They are solitary animals and don't hang around when they see you. The only buffalo I ever killed was a bull from horseback with a bow. Slightly different scenario and you need a horse that can clear the area quickly.

WardenWolf
February 23, 2013, 04:18 PM
If the person can do it, and their equipment can do it, why not? One thing that's important to consider is positioning. You can try getting closer but you may not have a clean shot, OR you may not be able to track it if it runs due to low hills that will obscure your sight up close, but not from the better position farther away. If you've got an excellent overwatch position and can both hit and track it, sometimes the long shot is best.

Patocazador
February 23, 2013, 05:43 PM
If he makes the shot, was he wrong to attempt it?

A coach says go for it on fourth and 17 from his own 23, leading by 6 with 1:35 to play, and the opposing team has no timeouts remaining. Completely fooling the defense by running off tackle, the team nets 18 yards and can now run out the clock. Was it a dumb call?
Yes, that is a stupid coach!

I have taken 2 elk at a little more than 400 yards but doubt that I could see one's kill zone at 700.
What about crosswinds?

beatledog7
February 23, 2013, 06:06 PM
Yes, that is a stupid coach!

Ah, but what I didn't tell you is the other team has already run back three punts for touchdowns in this game, they have an all-pro QB and three all-pro receivers, and all this coach's defensive backs are injured. In short, punting has been ill-fated the entire game, and his defense is unlikely to hold.

Now is he stupid? After all, his decision won the game.

The analysis of such decisions is often outcome based. Make what is normally considered to be an unwise call, and fail, you're an idiot. Succeed, and you're brazen and brilliant.

Hacker15E
February 24, 2013, 08:50 AM
Who is to decide what an "accepted" range for a shot is?

There are so many different 'objectives' of hunting that it is impossible to apply a single standard to them all.

So long as it is a humane and legal kill, then I don't see why anyone should be 'pissed off' at how someone else chooses to do it.

josiewales
February 24, 2013, 09:04 AM
I don't care what the range is(within reason) If you are confident and truly good, and ,obviously, have shot at that range before, I say go for it. I personally wouldn't shoot at that range, but if your comfortable with it I really don't see what the big deal is. What makes me mad is the opposite. Like the guy shooting the buffalo at 10 yards. Go by a freakin cow and shoot it!

OilyPablo
February 24, 2013, 09:36 AM
If this pisses you off, then I'm thinking this is a first world problem. Too much time on your hands.

Direct your energy to gun owner's rights.

Utryme
February 24, 2013, 10:07 AM
Ditto. He knew the range and made the shot. Go shout down gun control and stop picking on other hunters.

splattergun
February 24, 2013, 01:16 PM
doubt that I could see one's kill zone at 700.
What about crosswinds?

Doping the wind is a very large portion of proper equipment and training. It takes a a very good, expensive scope, education and lots of practice. Apperently, he had the equipment and skill.

jrdolall
February 24, 2013, 01:51 PM
I have shot targets with Ranger snipers at Ft Benning GA and they routinely bang the target at 1,000 yards. Known distance, excellent equipment and superb training make this shot almost a gimme to these guys. I have rarely seen them actually miss their target although they get pissed if they are off by 3 inches.

I personally keep all my hunting shots under 300 yards because I can't see as well as I could and my hand is not as steady.

Patocazador
February 24, 2013, 02:31 PM
Ah, but what I didn't tell you is the other team has already run back three punts for touchdowns in this game, they have an all-pro QB and three all-pro receivers, and all this coach's defensive backs are injured. In short, punting has been ill-fated the entire game, and his defense is unlikely to hold.

Now is he stupid? After all, his decision won the game.

The analysis of such decisions is often outcome based. Make what is normally considered to be an unwise call, and fail, you're an idiot. Succeed, and you're brazen and brilliant.
You must be an LSU fan. Sounds like the Les Miles school of coaching. :)

Ankeny
February 24, 2013, 04:14 PM
Who the hell shoots an elk at 700 yards? I have not shot an elk at 700 yards, but I have shot a dozen or so at 400-600 yards. I have shot antelope, coyotes, and a boatload of prairie dogs at over 700 yards. Not a big deal.

http://www.rtconnect.net/~rankeny/1214.jpg

jrdolall
February 24, 2013, 06:39 PM
I have shot antelope, coyotes, and a boatload of prairie dogs at over 700 yards. Not a big deal.

Love prairie dog shooting. Dis you make the 1214 yard shot with a .22? :) I bet there are some on here that could do it. I am about maxxed out at 400 yards because of a serious lack of skill.

Sam1911
February 24, 2013, 06:43 PM
Dis you make the 1214 yard shot with a .22?I bet the "6mm BR" on the paper plate answers that question.

Kachok
February 25, 2013, 12:16 AM
The ethics of long ranged hunting is a touchy subject, I know hunters who have no business shooting 200yards and I know others that could make a 500 yard shot with ease, me personally I don't shoot any further then I have to, to me there are no bragging rights in ultra long shots, if i want to show off how well I can shoot I'll do it on paper, paper won't slowly die of infection if a gust of wind pushes your bullet a few inches off course. You want to impress someone show me how you stalked within bow range and got a clean kill. Never taken a 500 yard shot and don't ever plan to even though the paper agrees with me that I could hit my mark that far out. I normally keep quite when people talk about long ranged hunting, but I had a gentleman approach me wanting me to develop a load for his 50 BMG so he could kill a deer at 1,400yards, I called him an idiot and walked off, I'll have no part in that.

rondog
February 25, 2013, 02:26 AM
Just my opinion, but the chance of the animal getting wounded and running off to never be seen again are just too high, so I personally would consider it unethical and an unnessessary risk. JMHO. And hopefully anyone that would try a long shot like that would make sure they could reach the animal and recover it. Nothing like making a 700 yard kill and then realizing it's on the other side of an inaccessable canyon or ravine

bailer
February 25, 2013, 10:44 AM
What's the flight time for something like a 7mag over 700 yards? From my rather uninformed opinion, 700 yards with a rifle poses the same risks as 50-60 yards with a bow. I can punch 3d targets at 60 yards with my bow all day. I'd shoot a bedded bull at that range without much concern. On it's feet though I'd be concerned about how far it could move between release and hit. Is that not a concern on these really long range rifle shots?

Sam1911
February 25, 2013, 11:13 AM
700 yards = 2,100 feet.

If your ammo averages 3,000 fps across that distance, flight time is 0.7 seconds.

NelsErik
February 25, 2013, 12:42 PM
The thing that initially upset me is the fact that he took the shot as part of a marketing gimmick. Willie is on "Team Weatherby (http://www.weatherby.com/company/pressroom/pressrelease/item/view/44691)" and went on the hunt as a promotional gimmick. My local news station showed a video of the hunt, I wish I could find it.

I think it is a lot more impressive to shoot an elk at 20 yards with a bow than 700 with a .30-378 Weatherby Magnum (that is what he used). I think it is outright irresponsible to shoot an elk at 700 yards and film it for promotional purposes. In my opinion this guy is promoting poor hunting technique, poor hunting ethics, and an overall lack of responsible conservation and leadership skills. I hold this guy to a higher standard since he is famous, I know I am probably wrong. I just think it is wrong to take a shot at an animal that far in the mountains. On an open plain where stalking is much harder is one thing, but this is another.

grubbylabs
February 25, 2013, 01:08 PM
I used to think that it was un ethical to take shots like that, but the longer I am around the more I realize there are all kinds of hunters, some want to get as close as they can, some thrive on the skill of a well placed shot at distance, and so on. If both put in the time to develop the skill they need to do it well, then who am I to complain.

I have seen 20 yard shots at elk with perfect conditions go south for well accomplished archers, including my self. To me it seems that even if you put the effort in and do every thing right it can still go wrong even at close range. So I am beginning to think it does not matter what range you shoot at so long as you develop the skills necessary for your style of hunting.

clamman
February 25, 2013, 02:48 PM
I shot a dirt clod a half mile away with a Remington 510:neener::neener:

Art Eatman
February 25, 2013, 03:10 PM
To me, the bad part of the deal is the promotional aspect. It can lead guys to try such shots without having done all the prep work of practicing and learning how to really be able to be confident of a clean kill sort of hit.

Some guys do their homework, whether long-range shooting or up-close stalking. The gripe should be for those who don't do their homework, not the act itself.

CoRoMo
February 25, 2013, 03:34 PM
I am pissed off...am I wrong?
Although I see no reason in the story to be upset, I can't say anyone 'is wrong' for reacting they way they choose to react. Being offended isn't necessarily right nor wrong.
Who the hell shoots an elk at 700 yards?
According to the article that you linked to, his name is Willie Bloomquist and he plays Shortstop/Third Base for the Arizona Diamondbacks baseball team: http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/6636
What if he just winged it?
If that had happened, it might have then required additional shots, but it's moot because he didn't wing it.
...Bloomquist is also a crack shot.
That explains it. Case closed.

danweasel
February 25, 2013, 04:41 PM
Who cares? The D-Backs still suck. Go Giants.

I am going to align myself with the "he made it didn't he?" crowd and call it a good shot. Myself? No way in hell.

-Dan

NelsErik
February 25, 2013, 05:24 PM
Actually, we have no idea if he missed any shots, people generally don't talk about those shots... Just to clarify, I didn't say he was a crack shot, I was quoting the article.

shaggy430
February 25, 2013, 06:40 PM
He made the shot. No reason to be upset. If you don't feel it is ethical for YOU to take that shot, then don't shoot.

Sam1911
February 25, 2013, 07:11 PM
Seems to me lots of companies like to show highly skilled folks using their top-end products to perform difficult, challenging, and risky feats of skill. Many of those feats of skill would be quite dangerous -- to both the participant and even bystanders -- if folks "at home" went and tried them. But the fact that some folks can, with great skill and preparation, use the product in that way lends a huge aura of prestige to the brand.

I don't see a whole lot of complaining about irresponsible and unethical behavior in car ads, where FAR more people might be tempted to use the product in ways that would put the lives of many people at risk.

I'm not able to get very indignant about this one successful shot.

Certaindeaf
February 25, 2013, 07:15 PM
True.. that new Fiat flies and goes underwater.

NelsErik
February 25, 2013, 08:01 PM
Just for clarification then, if he missed the shot, then said shot would be unethical? Or as long as you make your shot, it is fine? It is only bad if you miss the shot and no consideration for the risk of missing the shot is taken into consideration? This doesn't make sense to me, you have to consider the risk involved in a low percentage shot.

jmr40
February 25, 2013, 08:16 PM
But it is not a low percentage shot for some people. For some people a 50 yard shot is a low percentage shot, but no one complains about them.

Not many years ago 700 yards would have been more luck than skill. But today we have much better equpment. Better optics, range finders, computer programs to calculate bullet drop, wind drift etc. If you know what you are doing it is not that hard in 2013. We now have bullets that will actually perform at that range, bullets, powder and chamberings that make a 700 yard shot easier than a 400 yard shot just a few years ago.

That doesn't mean everyone has the skills and equipment, but I'd rather see someone who knows what he is doing take a 700 yard shot than someone shooing at 70 yards over a baitpile. And baiting is perfectly legal in many places. Not saying it is unethical if legal where you live. Just not my preference.

Sam1911
February 25, 2013, 08:46 PM
For some people a 50 yard shot is a low percentage shot, but no one complains about them.Tens of thousands of hunters wound and lose deer every year. The vast majority of those shots are at 75-200 yds (because that's the range the most shots are taken at). It would be far more realistic to say that it is unethical for several tens of thousands of shooters to be taking 100 or 200 yards shots than it is to say that this guy was unethical in taking a 700 yards shot, which he clearly had the skill to make.

If you're willing to say those tens of thousands shouldn't be in the field ... well, maybe you're right. At least you're then applying a consistent standards...except that (again) this guy MADE the shot.

25cschaefer
February 25, 2013, 10:51 PM
Watch Best of the West and you will see what goes into a shot like that, it's not some guy popping a shot out the window of his F-150 with a 30-30.

Certaindeaf
February 26, 2013, 02:34 AM
There's a guy here that regularly takes Pronghorn out to 700 yards plus with a handgun.

Sam1911
February 26, 2013, 06:25 AM
There's a guy here that regularly takes Pronghorn out to 700 yards plus with a handgun.

There's a guy right here in this thread who took a prairie dog at 1,214 yards. No on'e jumping on his butt for taking an unethical shot.

Of course that's just a varmint. Its life, death, and potential suffering from a poor hit doesn't matter. Not like an (much larger target) elk which is, of course, a "real" animal.

Certaindeaf
February 26, 2013, 10:14 AM
I hear you. I forget the username of the fellow I mentioned (I'm sure I could find it though) and a few were credulous of his claims though pictures etc were OP'd. He backed up/proved his bona fides by answering all questions about his rigs etc and providing all kinds of youtube videos proving his claims and more. Very, very impressive shooter with great technique/skill and equipment.

Creature
February 26, 2013, 10:22 AM
This doesn't make sense to me, you have to consider the risk involved in a low percentage shot.

Kinda reminds me of the Apollo 11 mission to land on the Moon.

Sapper771
February 26, 2013, 10:29 AM
A guy I use to shoot with would take hunting trips "out west" every year. He said that the average engagement distance on deer was around 600 yards. He was using a .338 Lapua chambered precision rifle, so it was very capable of engaging and taking game at 600+ yards. From looking at his well stocked game freezer, he was skilled enough to make it happen.

I dont see an issue with it, as long as you have the skill and equipment to do it.

Art Eatman
February 26, 2013, 10:42 AM
Looks like we've beat on this one enough for this week. Rest assured that it will come up again...

If you enjoyed reading about "AZ Diamondbacks player shoots elk at 703 yards.." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!