I want a .50 BMG pistol!

PDA

somerandomguy
February 23, 2013, 04:18 AM
Who's with me?

If you enjoyed reading about "I want a .50 BMG pistol!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Muskyman
February 23, 2013, 04:26 AM
It would be fun to shoot someone else's, but I can think of hundreds of guns I would rather have.

Nugilum
February 23, 2013, 04:53 AM
I value my wrists too much. :what:

chris in va
February 23, 2013, 04:56 AM
No...you don't.

Ehtereon11B
February 23, 2013, 06:28 AM
I have a .50BMG paperweight. It is roughly 3/4 the length of my XD45. A "handgun" shooting a .50BMG would classify as an SBR.

Other than that, you wouldn't want one.

Sam1911
February 23, 2013, 06:33 AM
A "handgun" shooting a .50BMG would classify as an SBR.Not unless you're putting a stock on it, or register it so that you can.

A gun that isn't "designed or redesigned to be fired from the shoulder" doesn't meet the definition of a "rifle" -- short barreled or not.

Deus Machina
February 23, 2013, 07:16 AM
I've seen full-sized .50 BMG rifles being fired without the muzzle brake on, to the point of breaking firing rests and collarbones.

I'll leave the pistols alone.

TJ AK-74
February 23, 2013, 08:03 AM
FYI: If a .50BMG handgun was commercially made, then .50BMG ammo could be considered "Handgun Ammunition" which would subject it to "armor-piercing" regulations, essentially making any surplus AP, API, APT, and APIT ammo illegal to sell to civilians IIRC. :banghead::fire::cuss: So no, I don't want one. It'd b cool-looking, but thats about it.

Fremmer
February 23, 2013, 08:38 AM
I shoot my fiddy pistol with one hand, lol

Ilikeitwet
February 23, 2013, 10:07 AM
I am I love big cal hand guns my biggest SS 44 mag SBH

tuj
February 23, 2013, 11:29 AM
I too have a 50BMG paperweight. I have no idea how you would ever get the recoil down to the manageable level in a handgun. If you haven't handled a 50BMG round..well, it's huge.

I guess you could try to make like a recoil-less rifle round, although with a pistol I don't see how you would redirect the blast.

MachIVshooter
February 23, 2013, 12:29 PM
A .50 BMG pistol has been made:

http://img436.imageshack.us/img436/2671/50bmghandgun21vr.jpg

Totally useless. The .50 BMG uses very slow powder; it needs barrel. This thing was more of a "because we can", and I'm sure it's a spectacular fireworks show to discharge it, but the velocity would be abysmal.

FYI: If a .50BMG handgun was commercially made, then .50BMG ammo could be considered "Handgun Ammunition" which would subject it to "armor-piercing" regulations, essentially making any surplus AP, API, APT, and APIT ammo illegal to sell to civilians IIRC.

No, it wouldn't.

Ammunition intended for or suitable only for a handgun

AP .224" and .308" bullets are still widely available and legal to own. Where you'd get pinched is if you had them loaded into cartridges, and you're only firearm so-chambered was a handgun, or you got caught with them loaded in a handgun.

GregGry
February 23, 2013, 01:02 PM
No idea if its real.... http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=180240&stc=1&d=1361638906

Sam1911
February 23, 2013, 01:04 PM
Looks about real. Having watched the custom short-barreled M2s run during the night shoot at Knob Creek, at high rates of fire that fireball grows until, even standing directly behind the gunner, it is difficult to see his form in the corona of the ongoing blast.

DeepSouth
February 23, 2013, 01:07 PM
I was told that a "recoil supression" company built that just to show how good they were, dont know if it's true.....but it sounds good.

Like you said "just because we can can gun"

303tom
February 23, 2013, 01:46 PM
This is a buddy of mine & I have shot this. I can imagine what a .50 BMG would be like. My BFR in .45-70 is about all I can handle...........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGKZW4AX5YQ

somerandomguy
February 24, 2013, 04:15 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMkiDguYtGw

Geees, didnt even know they had one. :P

Bovice
February 24, 2013, 05:15 AM
This is insane. No, you don't want a .50 BMG handgun. There is such a thing as too much gun, and this is it. If you want a big handgun, try 10mm, .45 ACP, .44 magnum, or even 500 S&W. Those are all considered to be big in the handgun realm.

The bones in your forearms wouldn't hold up, and keep in mind that your wrist is a gliding joint. It doesn't like sharp impulses. What you're asking for is like saying you want to ride on the nosecone of an Atlas rocket on your lawn chair because you like to go fast. It's a free country and you're entitled to talk about anything you want, but I don't think these pie in the sky ideas fit within the community of THR. We promote responsible gun ownership and like to stay realistic. An influx of "I want glock to make a pistol that shoots tank shells" or "What's the best gun to shoot zombies with" kinda waters down the experience here.

Just my 2 cents.

Ehtereon11B
February 24, 2013, 07:50 AM
Not unless you're putting a stock on it, or register it so that you can.

Was going by the length the action would have to be to accommodate the round. Not the legal definition of SBR.

The closest you will probably ever get to a .50BMG is probably the .50AE. And that has enough kaching ($) when you pull the trigger anyway.

Sav .250
February 24, 2013, 08:58 AM
Open the window in the trailer. It needs a change of air.

SDC
February 24, 2013, 09:01 AM
I have no idea how many of these were made, or even if this kid ever touched this shot off, but you could certainly make one yourself. This is one of Bob Stewart's Maadi-Griffin actions done up as a pistol.

ApacheCoTodd
February 24, 2013, 11:23 AM
There is ZERO chance that I would trust anything designed to be hand held - one or two hands - to contain the energy of that round only as far from my head-ball as the length of my arms.

jad0110
February 24, 2013, 11:37 AM
There are probably more practical, and less painful ways of rearranging your facial features :uhoh:.

blaisenguns
February 24, 2013, 12:01 PM
How about a 600 Nitro pistol? http://www.tonyrogers.com/weapons/pfeifer-zeliska.htm

gazpacho
February 24, 2013, 06:34 PM
If he gets a 50BMG handgun, I want a 20mm derringer! Ooooooo, or maybe a 950 JDJ suppressed pen gun!

gbran
February 24, 2013, 08:47 PM
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y145/gbran/50BMG.jpg

MachIVshooter
February 24, 2013, 09:59 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^^

ballistic flamethrower

22-rimfire
February 24, 2013, 11:29 PM
50 BMG. WHY? If it is just because, go for it.

I can understand the desire to shoot the big ones. Most of us would like to at one time or another and it usually starts with 44 mag.

jmorris
February 24, 2013, 11:39 PM
In the Maddi Griffin blue print and instruction book I built my 50 BMG with they show a pistol version.

Pretty much like this without the but pad on the bolt, the trigger and grip are further to the rear and a shorter barrel.

http://i664.photobucket.com/albums/vv5/qvideo/gn/50bmg.jpg

22-rimfire
February 24, 2013, 11:44 PM
Pretty cool. Great for targets at long range.

ljnowell
February 25, 2013, 12:14 AM
This is insane. No, you don't want a .50 BMG handgun. There is such a thing as too much gun, and this is it. If you want a big handgun, try 10mm, .45 ACP, .44 magnum, or even 500 S&W. Those are all considered to be big in the handgun realm.

The bones in your forearms wouldn't hold up, and keep in mind that your wrist is a gliding joint. It doesn't like sharp impulses. What you're asking for is like saying you want to ride on the nosecone of an Atlas rocket on your lawn chair because you like to go fast. It's a free country and you're entitled to talk about anything you want, but I don't think these pie in the sky ideas fit within the community of THR. We promote responsible gun ownership and like to stay realistic. An influx of "I want glock to make a pistol that shoots tank shells" or "What's the best gun to shoot zombies with" kinda waters down the experience here.

Just my 2 cents.

You are absolutely right. Also, we need to stop talking about those evil black assault war weapons too. No one needs one of those high powered things. Just like the 50bmg pistol, when we advocate those things it makes us all look irresponsible. I mean, no responsible gun owner would want any of those things and it just makes THR look bad.

Right????

Bovice
February 25, 2013, 12:39 AM
You are absolutely right. Also, we need to stop talking about those evil black assault war weapons too. No one needs one of those high powered things. Just like the 50bmg pistol, when we advocate those things it makes us all look irresponsible. I mean, no responsible gun owner would want any of those things and it just makes THR look bad.

Right????
Those are two very different things you're comparing. AR-15s are very practical and very useful modern rifles. A 50 BMG pistol is none of those things.

biohazurd
February 25, 2013, 01:14 AM
uhhhhhhh no...

ApacheCoTodd
February 25, 2013, 11:20 AM
Those are two very different things you're comparing. *****s are very practical and very useful modern *****. A ***** is none of those things.

Haven't we seen literally this exact argument with various fillers used against us?

Makes me think of the fisherman supporting horse power limits on engines. If I don't need it, you don't need it.

I say if a fella has a good insurance policy and his immediate family is supportive of this madness - go for it. No one is saying it has to be a full bore round at this point.

How cool would it be to come up with a hand holdable, carriage recoil "Baby Deuce" just to say you did?

Coop45
February 25, 2013, 11:36 AM
:evil:Can someone build one for concealed carry?

460Kodiak
February 25, 2013, 12:09 PM
Ummm, with you? ................. no, I don't think so.

45bthompson
February 25, 2013, 12:14 PM
"You dont need it" is the worst possible argument against a free man.

ljnowell
February 25, 2013, 04:36 PM
Those are two very different things you're comparing. AR-15s are very practical and very useful modern rifles. A 50 BMG pistol is none of those things.

No, its not two different things. The fact is the anti-gun people say the exact same things about AR15s. What you mean is "its different because its what I THINK."

Thats textbook hypocrisy.

460Kodiak
February 25, 2013, 05:24 PM
:rolleyes:

Inebriated
February 25, 2013, 05:59 PM

Just my 2 cents.

This isn't a "Pie in the sky" idea. If you'd open your eyes, you'd see a video of a pistol firing .50 BMG RIGHT above you post. It's RIGHT THERE! You just have to LOOK. Also, 10mm and .45 ACP are hardly considered "big" in the handgun realm...

Right, a .50 BMG pistol isn't very practical. I guess that means we don't NEED it, just because it's got a very limited use? Take that stuff elsewhere. You sound just like an anti.

Sam1911
February 25, 2013, 07:15 PM
Ok...point made, again, once more.

If you enjoyed reading about "I want a .50 BMG pistol!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!