regional boards?

PDA

Spike_akers
February 23, 2013, 10:48 AM
i was wondering if THR has ever had, or considered regional boards? i mean, the rallying point is ok, but it would be easier to get in touch with people just in our area if we had regionals. might also help the sale threads to. is this something we may see in the future?

If you enjoyed reading about "regional boards?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
hso
February 23, 2013, 11:52 AM
We've had that brought up, at least for states, but the change was not adopted.

Spike_akers
February 23, 2013, 12:50 PM
what is the reason behind not adopting it?

Hondo 60
February 23, 2013, 06:45 PM
Good question.
If it wouldn't be too much trouble, I'd like to hear from the mods on this issue.

Please.

Owen
February 23, 2013, 08:13 PM
If I remember the discussion, part of the issue is that it was believed that it would fragment the board to much with members ending up in their local site, and leaving the main forums empty. In addition, the state forum list would be huge, and each of those smaller forums would end up relatively empty.

When I think of adding 50 forums (or more would we want NoCal and SoCal separate?) and the potential increase in moderating issues like threads in the wrong place, it feels like it would become a nightmare.

If you really want to check out what's up in your state, there are generally standalone state oriented gun forums, such as Calguns, and INGO.

Creature
February 23, 2013, 08:28 PM
Here is the Virginia gun owners forum (VAGOF):

http://vagunforum.net/wp/

WNTFW
February 24, 2013, 12:06 AM
My suggestion is to find a regional forum for your area.

I am a member of one. It has it's good points and bad. It gets fragmented somewhat by the smaller regions within a region. I like the local forum for local issues such as ranges, matches and business near me. Low signal to noise ratio is something of a downside.

While the mods here do get criticized they really do run a quality forum. If you go to a less well run forum you will truly appreciate what THR is in terms of quality.

Hondo 60
February 24, 2013, 12:53 AM
owen - thank you for taking time to respond.

taliv
February 25, 2013, 01:09 AM
i'm not entirely opposed to it, and i frequent a few regional forums, like arfcom's hometown. but while those discussions are active, they tend to stray from firearm topics and turn to a mix of "hey i'm visiting your city next week. can someone recommend a good restaurant?" type stuff and "who all is going to the x gunshow/range this weekend?"

in other words, there isn't a great deal of state/city-specific gun stuff to talk about, except state RKBA politics and its best to leave that in the general forum so everyone can see what's going on in NY and CO, etc.

gym
March 18, 2013, 11:56 AM
I must say I enjoy the open forum format. I belong to a couple state forums, like "Fl shooters network", but spend all my "gun" talk time here, as we get a broader view, as to what goes on in the rest of the country.
Plus much more help, and advice, instruction, than anyware else.
Even if I get yelled at once in a while, it's still the best IMO.

Saakee
March 18, 2013, 01:39 PM
Why not compile a list of the regional forums and sticky it so people know the forums members here are members of/support?

Owen
March 18, 2013, 03:33 PM
Saakee,

Knock yourself out. Let us know when you're ready to post it, and I'll sticky it in the Rallying Point forum.

If you enjoyed reading about "regional boards?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!