357/38 special bullets for revolver and lever gun

PDA

Big JJ
February 23, 2013, 10:28 AM
Team
I currently load for 357/38 special revolvers (lead bullets).
I want a bullet for a lever gun to shoot the same loads as my revolvers.
I know Hornady makes a good bullet (Leverevolution) however it is not all copper and is expensive for just plinking.
I currently pay 6 to 7 cents per bullet for plinking and would like to buy in that price range.
Yes I need an all copper bullet living in Cali. for my hunting round.
What I need is to find two bullets and develope two loads for both of my guns.
I know the copper bullet will be much more expensive however I will not be shooting a lot of them so I can deal with the higher cost of the copper for hunting.
One all purpose plicking round for my revolvers and lever gun that does not have to be copper it can be a lead bullet.
One for hunting it must be copper for both of my guns.
Looking for advice on what bullet company,where to buy and what grain weight.

If you enjoyed reading about "357/38 special bullets for revolver and lever gun" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rcmodel
February 23, 2013, 10:39 AM
Well, for a lead plinking bullet, it would be hard to beat a 158 grain RN for use in the lever-gun.

They will feed better then SWC.
And load slicker in revolver speed-loaders.

http://www.missouribullet.com/details.php?prodId=76&category=5&secondary=9&keywords=

All copper bullets are not something I have experiance with.
But again, one with no sharp shoulders will work better in the lever-action.
And for a hunting bullet, the Barnes XPB 140 grain would be what I would pick myself.

http://www.barnesbullets.com/products/components/pistol/?PHPSESSID=14ab31449838a80cd27ecea0d32490ff

rc

ArchAngelCD
February 23, 2013, 11:02 AM
Are you sure you have to use an all copper bullet for hunting where you live in California? Not everywhere in California is that law in effect.

If you're wanting to load cheaply and want to avoid the peer pressures against using lead bullets give Plated bullets a try. They are cheaper than jacketed bullet but more expansive than all lead bullets. They are good bullets and can be shot in both type of guns.

As for inexpensive all Copper bullets, i don't think they exist. Since I have never had the need to use them I'm sorry I don't know which are cheaper but still work well. I THINK Barnes was first in developing a commercially viable offering in Copper but I could be wrong. I do know I have never hear anyone complain about their bullets. Check out their XPB all Copper bullet (http://www.barnesbullets.com/products/components/pistol/) in .357" and see if you like what you see. Expensive or not if they are only for hunting the cost is not all that important since we rarely use a lot of bullets while hunting. ($16.49/20)

For cheaper all copper bullets Midway USA has a line of bullets Copper Only Projectiles C.O.P. which cost a lot less @$16.79/50. They might be better for practice.

Lj1941
February 23, 2013, 11:15 AM
I have used 158 grain lead flat point round nose for my revolver loads. I get them from TNT reloading which is local to me.They should work in a lever gun.

gamestalker
February 23, 2013, 04:45 PM
I sincerely feel for ya, having to deal with those ridiculous laws in California. Wish I could help, but I haven had to deal with such issues before.

GS

If you enjoyed reading about "357/38 special bullets for revolver and lever gun" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!