Makorov/9x18 plinking ammo

PDA

OilyPablo
February 23, 2013, 10:30 AM
Are there any online sellers with 9x18 plinking ammo? Prefer brass but steel will do. Low cost is the key. Gun show vendor had Tula steel for $20. No way. Other than, my area is DRY.

I scored two CZ-82's and I have zero ammo now! Help a brother out. :D Just kidding on the begging - I did buy two boxes but the guns are so nice to shoot that ammo magically vanished.

Grateful for any leads. TIA.

If you enjoyed reading about "Makorov/9x18 plinking ammo" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
il.bill
February 23, 2013, 02:36 PM
The only 9x18mm brass cartridges I have ever seen were priced over 50 cents per round. One week ago today I received 30 boxes of LVE 92 grain FMJ 9x18 Makarov cartridges delivered at $12.20 per box, ordered from http://www.unammo.com. That comes out to 24.4 cents per round handed to me at my front door.

Ammo and firearm prices are volatile right now. You may have to spend a little time searching for 9x18mm Makarov cartridges until the situation settles down, but the cost is very close to 9x19mm Luger. My CZ82 has happily chewed through any and all inexpensive steel-cased imported ammo I have fed it. They were designed to feast on Eastern European ammunition, so there is no real need to buy the expensive brass-cased boxer-primed variety unless you want to start reloading the 9x18mm.

OilyPablo
February 23, 2013, 02:41 PM
Thanks. I will watch that site.

il.bill
February 23, 2013, 02:41 PM
Oops! Just checked and unammo.com is out of 9x18mm. The search goes on ...

Wishoot
February 23, 2013, 03:27 PM
Aim usually carries Brown Bear or Silver Bear FMJ. They hd some in stock for something like $9.95 for 50 yesterday.

bigfatdave
February 23, 2013, 05:29 PM
Ammo prices just plain suck right now

Silver Bear is pretty good, keep an eye out for those

wally
February 23, 2013, 05:40 PM
At current prices, it doesn't look like any ammo is "plinking" ammo, unless you are made of money :(

cja245
February 23, 2013, 07:18 PM
The only factory ammo I've shot out of mine was Brown Bear and Silver Bear from Aim Surplus and J&G sales. I would imagine they are both out of stock. I started reloading for it with trimmed 9x19mm brass about a year ago, so its been a while since I've bought anything for it.

il.bill
February 23, 2013, 07:53 PM
I started reloading for it with trimmed 9x19mm brass about a year ago,

May I ask where you buy your bullets for the 9x18mm Makatrov? I bought a set of dies, but must be looking in the wrong place for the bullets.

Jaymo
February 23, 2013, 08:12 PM
I cast my own with a Lee 6 cavity mold.

cja245
February 23, 2013, 08:23 PM
May I ask where you buy your bullets for the 9x18mm Makatrov? I bought a set of dies, but must be looking in the wrong place for the bullets.
Berry's Mfg. makes plated bullets for the makarov. Hornady makes an XTP in that size. Speer makes a TMJ and a Gold Dot for it, though I think they may be discontinued. Missouri Bullet also sells cast bullets in that size.

Personally I'm casting my own with the Lee mold and its working great.

il.bill
February 24, 2013, 04:07 PM
Have you guys had any noticeable problems from using cast lead bullets in the CZ82 polygonal rifling?

I have always heard cast lead and polygonal rifling do not mix, but I figured if you simply clean the barrel after shooting everything would be just fine. What has your experience been? Obviously if you both are casting your own it must be working OK - I am just hoping you can tell me what I want to hear.

Thanks!

zxcvbob
February 24, 2013, 04:20 PM
Lead is almost all I've ever shot in my '82. When I carry it, I use Silver Bear JHP's. When I practice, I use cast bullets loaded in cut-down 9x19 brass. It's one of the few guns where I get zero lead buildup.

Pilot
February 24, 2013, 06:19 PM
All ammo is tough to get and expensive right now, but there are signs it is becoming more available and coming down in price. Wait a few weeks or so, and my guess you will see Wolf, Brown Bear etc around to purchase for a decent buck.

OilyPablo
February 24, 2013, 06:26 PM
One of by two CZ-82's had a decent amount of lead in the barrel. It cleaned up very well.

il.bill
February 24, 2013, 11:39 PM
I just spent a full hour searching the internet for both 9x18mm cartridges and/or bullets (FMJ and cast) to reload. I admit that I am by no means a wizard at the Google, but I was surprised to find nothing available in stock anywhere tonight.

The weather has not been conducive to shooting for about the last month on any of my days off work and maybe that is a good thing, if ammo to replenish the stockpile is that hard to find.

For the last year or so I would run by the ammo department and buy any brick of .22LR I saw at a sale price when we were out doing our general shopping, and now all of a sudden my wife does not think I am such a 'goofball idiot' after all.

cja245
February 25, 2013, 12:02 AM
Have you guys had any noticeable problems from using cast lead bullets in the CZ82 polygonal rifling?

I have always heard cast lead and polygonal rifling do not mix, but I figured if you simply clean the barrel after shooting everything would be just fine. What has your experience been? Obviously if you both are casting your own it must be working OK - I am just hoping you can tell me what I want to hear.

Thanks!
So long as you're cleaning your gun on a semi regular basis or at least looking in the barrel once every couple range visits you will be fine. Those claims are largely myth IMO.

So long as they are sized to .365-.366 and have good lube you shouldn't get leading. I haven't had any in mine yet. I have 800 rds through it since I started casting for it.

JoePfeiffer
February 25, 2013, 01:55 AM
I 'll repeat the earlier coment about unammo.com. I now have a case of 9x18 I got from them; keep watching...

Kiln
February 25, 2013, 06:03 AM
Ammo is scarce right now. Not a good time to be somebody who enjoys shooting two-three times a month. I think I'm having withdrawals. ;)

Killian
February 27, 2013, 08:04 PM
If you were closer, I'd sell you some. But you ain't.

If you enjoyed reading about "Makorov/9x18 plinking ammo" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!