SAFE: Customizing Interior

PDA

57vroom
February 23, 2013, 01:11 PM
Would anyone have suggestions on either what they have done to customize the interior or where to look for ideas on customizing the interior of their safe?

I have a TL15 5520 that is equipped with the metal rails on the sides and metal shelfs that run the full width which prevents putting any long guns in and also is not the most effieicient use of space.

Thanks!

If you enjoyed reading about "SAFE: Customizing Interior" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
heeler
February 23, 2013, 01:25 PM
Scroll down to the thread here in this forum and look for "Gun safe shelf load limits".
There is a picture posted by member vtail of his customized Liberty gun safe that I thought was pretty nice.
Perhaps by contacting him he might give you some ideas.

lightman
February 26, 2013, 10:48 PM
I designed and built the interior for the first safe that I bought. You need to think about what you want, how much stuff you have, ect. Look on some of the safe company web sites at their interior layouts. I started by standing a few rifles up along the wall and measuring the distance between them, how far the barrels were from the wall, and how far the butt was from the wall. I used a piece of 3/4 inch plywood, measured and layed out lines on it and used a 2-1/2 inch hole saw to make holes for the barrels. I cut strips of plywood for the bottom.The edges overlapped each other like house siding layed flat to form an angle that the rifles stand up on. After fine tuning this a little, I went to an auto upholstery shop and bought enough flame retardant material to cover this stuff. They even covered it for me at a very reasonable cost. The holes were a pain to cover! I think I cut out between a few of the 2-1/2 inch holes in the back to make room for things like full length stocks, double barrels, and military rifles with large front sights. I also cut a piece of peg board to mount on the door. A 1/4 inch hook covered with a piece of rubber vacuum line held my handguns. The top shelf was also 3/4 inch plywood, supported by a couple of pieces of electrical strut. All in all, it turned out very well, and was way cheaper than the optional interior that the safe people offered. A simple switch and a string of rope lights will light it up for you. And yes, V-tail has a nice layout! Lightman

Walkalong
February 28, 2013, 08:43 PM
I made this interior for my Sturdy safe. I have since added more notches for better versatility.

If you enjoyed reading about "SAFE: Customizing Interior" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!