Val Kilmer on His Firearms

PDA

Cosmoline
March 11, 2004, 02:18 PM
This was an interesting exchange in a very recent Kilmer interview:

------
Q: You learned how to shoot?

Kilmer: I already knew how, from other movies and just for fun. I had experience with weapons.

Q: You have your own weapon?

Kilmer: Uh, I’m not going to talk about that!
--------

Probably smart, considering the response other actors have received for "coming out" on this issue.

www.chud.com

If you enjoyed reading about "Val Kilmer on His Firearms" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Min
March 11, 2004, 02:30 PM
Even if he wasn't a celebrity, everyone is still on a need-to-know basis as far as weapons. It's a very personal thing, and why should he tell the whole world (via the media) what he has?

Cosmoline
March 11, 2004, 02:38 PM
That's a point, but I recall that woman from "THat 70's Show" say in a similar interview that her agent had told her never to talk about her gun hobby. I think it's CW in sillywood that you DO NOT talk about range time or firearms in a positive light. It's not PC.

Min
March 11, 2004, 02:42 PM
That's a point, but I recall that woman from "THat 70's Show" say in a similar interview that her agent had told her never to talk about her gun hobby. I think it's CW in sillywood that you DO NOT talk about range time or firearms in a positive light. It's not PC.

Oh, that's just silly...but true, I'm sure.

It IS a free country, isn't it?

Funny how in Hollywood it is more acceptable to be gay or a drug-user or an alcoholic than to admit to liking guns! What are they on reverse morality mode?

El Tejon
March 11, 2004, 02:51 PM
Does THRer Erich report any Val Kilmer sightings around ranges in Albaquirky?

mrapathy2000
March 11, 2004, 02:52 PM
it can be a good thing not to tell people you have guns.

one, dont want criminals breaking in to steel firearms.

two, dont want to scare a hoplophobe to death. :rolleyes: :evil:

some people may seek you out for political reasons and try and persecute you. class3 owners in wisconsin.

why paint a bullseye on yourself.

spacemanspiff
March 11, 2004, 02:54 PM
the actress in '70s show' has talked a little about her guns in a Maxim interview.

and the actress in the 'sopranos' that is tony's goumah (sp?) always mentions how much she loves shooting in every interview. leslie bega i think her name is.

i've noticed a lot more of these models/actresses are admitting their love of the shooting sports, but they always seem to say they shoot skeet/clay more than anything. makes me wonder if their agents are telling them that if they have to admit to liking guns, shotguns are the most PC to own up to.

the members of aerosmith usually try to work in something about their guns as well.

TheOtherOne
March 11, 2004, 03:00 PM
the actress in '70s show' has talked a little about her guns in a Maxim interview.Which actress is it?

Razor
March 11, 2004, 03:12 PM
Laura Prepon (?), the red-head.

squibload
March 11, 2004, 03:54 PM
Mmmmmm.....redhead......

Silent Bob
March 11, 2004, 04:07 PM
John Popper (of Blues Traveler) usually mentions his gun collection in interviews.

Halffast
March 11, 2004, 04:16 PM
I wish he had said this.

Kilmer: Yes, I carry it with me all the time. It's between my ears.

I wonder what kind of reaction that would have provoked?

David

Skunkabilly
March 11, 2004, 04:36 PM
He's too close for missiles, I'm switching to guns. :evil:

You're still dangerous...

You can be my wingman any time :cool:

Treylis
March 11, 2004, 04:42 PM
Perhaps he keeps some FNs and M16 Commandos around so he can re-enact Heat. ;-)

Daedalus
March 11, 2004, 04:47 PM
Regarding Celebrities and guns:

Hunter S. Thompson is a multiple felon, yet owns a lot of guns (including an automatic I saw him shooting on the Conan O' Brian show). How is it that he seems to get a pass for owning firearms by the media, and the lovely hard working public servants at ATF? Has he just never been convicted of a crime, yet his public admissions of guilt do not disqualify him from owning NFA items?

Not that I think that drug crimes are worthy of being crimes, let alone felonies, but this always bothered me.

cdbeaver
March 11, 2004, 04:51 PM
I think Ludicrus likes his guns so much he writes songs about them and who he wants to kill with them.

SAG0282
March 11, 2004, 04:58 PM
I'm not real impressed with his answer. I can see being vague to some degree, but it is already widely speculated that he has firearms, and having a legal product and using it legally shouldn't be something to be ashamed of.

By contrast, I was quite impressed with Laura Prepon's comments regarding her Mini-14. I would volunteer at any point to assist her should she feel compelled to try out a 9mm SIG handgun or two.

Marko Kloos
March 11, 2004, 07:29 PM
Hunter S. Thompson is a multiple felon, yet owns a lot of guns

G. Gordon Liddy is a convicted felon as well, but in his own words..."I don't own any guns, but Mrs. Liddy has one hell of a collection." :D

TimH
March 11, 2004, 07:37 PM
Mmmmmm.....redhead......

Is it true what they about redheads?

Duke of Lawnchair
March 11, 2004, 07:52 PM

They have red hair?

Feanaro
March 11, 2004, 08:45 PM
Hunter S. Thompson is a multiple felon, yet owns a lot of guns (including an automatic I saw him shooting on the Conan O' Brian show).

Does he own a company? If so, he could buy the weapons in the name of the company since, after all, a company has no criminal record. Or maybe his wife owns them.

4v50 Gary
March 11, 2004, 09:36 PM
Now his response to the second question was almost a model response. What gun?

seeker_two
March 11, 2004, 11:48 PM
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

They have red hair?

Yesssss... :evil:

entropy
March 12, 2004, 12:06 AM
Hot Donna owns guns?! *whew!* :evil: I thought Laura Prepon was awesome before, this is just too much!:what:

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?s=&postid=862389

Skibane
March 12, 2004, 12:16 AM
I think the interviewer's question was more interesting than Kilmer's answer:

Implication: The idea of having ONE weapon of your own is a novel concept. The idea that someone might have MORE THAN ONE weapon is so unthinkable that it isn't even considered in the question.

I've seen similar questions posed to other celebrities. The fact that firearms ownership is even considered to be worth mentioning in an interview says something profound about the person asking the questions.

Greg L
March 12, 2004, 12:20 AM
G. Gordon Liddy is a convicted felon as well, but in his own words..."I don't own any guns, but Mrs. Liddy has one hell of a collection."

You forgot the best part of the quote ... "She also chooses to store some of them on my side of the bed" :evil:

artherd
March 12, 2004, 04:11 AM
mmmm Donna with guns....

If she ever wants to shoot a Glock, I would be only too happy to oblige.

spacemanspiff
March 12, 2004, 12:42 PM
i imagine donna as being more into revolvers for some unknown reason. maybe its all the lumberjack outfits she wears?

Andrew Rothman
March 12, 2004, 12:50 PM
You learned how to shoot?

Kilmer: I already knew how, from other movies and just for fun.

Oh, goody. Another person who learned how to shoot from the movies. :rolleyes:

J Jones
March 12, 2004, 12:58 PM
I assume that he means that he was trained in the course of learning his role by the armorers, etc. It looks like it wasn't half bad instruction from what I saw in "Heat."

tcsd1236
March 12, 2004, 03:15 PM
"You forgot the best part of the quote ... "She also chooses to store some of them on my side of the bed"
Not the BEST thing for him to say, since I believe she has to store them in a manner that makes them totally inaccessible to Mr Liddy, the convicted felon.

Sunray
March 12, 2004, 03:32 PM
"Is it true what they about redheads? Yep, they have bad tempers. I know this for a fact. My ma had red hair. Can't imagine the other adage being true though. shudder.

bill2
March 12, 2004, 04:33 PM
Hot Donna owns guns?! *whew!* I thought Laura Prepon was awesome before, this is just too much!

yeah, she's pretty hot looking, being a gun owner just makes her hotter.

FNFiveSeven
March 12, 2004, 05:40 PM
"Oh, goody. Another person who learned how to shoot from the movies."

Hmmm, maybe so in most cases, but Val Kilmer learned was taught to shoot in the movie "Heat" by Andy McNab (SAS).

RepublicanMan
March 12, 2004, 06:19 PM
RE John Popper... (bear in mind that I do not know this is all true)

This fella has a ????load of guns and various other pyro devices like small cannons etc.

A local company that did his sound system, phone system and home theater setup has had incidents wherein his phone quit working so he took it outside and blew it up. I've also heard that he uses the cannon(s) he owns to blow large quantities of ducks and geese away on the pond he has on his property.

For those local to the area, he lives in the Quakertown / Richlandtown area out around California road.

TimH
March 12, 2004, 07:07 PM
Thanks for the input on Red Heads :evil:

hops
March 12, 2004, 08:50 PM
His new movie SPARTAN looks very interesting. I may have to leave the cave and see it.

JamisJockey
March 12, 2004, 08:54 PM
Oh, goody. Another person who learned how to shoot from the movies.

You obviously haven't seen the movie Heat
:neener:

MeekandMild
March 15, 2004, 08:52 AM
G. Gordon Liddy is a convicted felon as well, but in his own words..."I don't own any guns, but Mrs. Liddy has one hell of a collection." This is a good example of the political nature of gun control laws. Rich well connected people can obtain them no matter what. IIRC wasn't this the same situation for both Jack Ruby and the guy who shot president Reagan? Both were rich and well connected and should not have had a gun?

tcsd1236
March 15, 2004, 05:46 PM
"This is a good example of the political nature of gun control laws. Rich well connected people can obtain them no matter what. IIRC wasn't this the same situation for both Jack Ruby and the guy who shot president Reagan? Both were rich and well connected and should not have had a gun?"

From my recollection, Jack Ruby wasn't particularly wealthy, and Reagans shooter, while from an upper middle class family, wasn't wealthy .

NRA4LIFE
March 15, 2004, 05:56 PM
That's why I answer no when asked if I own a gun. To be truthful, I do not own A gun. Just like I do not own A chain saw. To me owning A gun is like owning A golf club. Not much sense in that.

TaurusGL
March 16, 2004, 03:00 AM
Hunter S. Thompson is a multiple felon, yet owns a lot of guns (including an automatic I saw him shooting on the Conan O' Brian show).

Uh, when has Dr. Thompson ever been convicted of a felony (god knows he has comited them, almost all of them drug related)?

carpettbaggerr
March 18, 2004, 12:17 AM
What an interesting concept. An unconvicted felon. Let's hope this doesn't go any further, hmmm?

Zach S
March 18, 2004, 09:16 AM
Is it true what they about redheads? If you're thinkin' 'bout the same thing I am, Yes

:evil:

c-bag
March 18, 2004, 12:48 PM
I think Hunter Thompson doesn't own any NFA stuff; I read in his memoirs that he had some kind of Class III item that he surrendered to the ATF when he was under scruteny for one of his "incidents"

To me the Conan O'Brian segment looked like they were at a place where full-auto is rented; if you payed attention you could see the range officer standing over Conan's shoulder and showing him where the selecter was on an MP-5.:rolleyes: Of course Hunter needed no instruction and even mustered a good war cry while butchering a stuffed animal w/a M-16:cool:

Pendragon
March 18, 2004, 03:07 PM
http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~aaron2/firearms/actresses.html#prepon

a quick search turned up that page - has several actresses on it. (totally work safe/PG)

TimH
March 18, 2004, 06:29 PM
If you're thinkin' 'bout the same thing I am, Yes

Does that only aply to natural Redheads? :evil:

If you enjoyed reading about "Val Kilmer on His Firearms" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!