Selling stolen gun?

PDA

jstein650
February 23, 2013, 03:18 PM
My ex-wife managed to get my S&W K-38 stolen a while back. Like an IDIOT I hadn't recorded the serial # :banghead:(hard lesson learned) If someone were to try to sell it on, say, GunBroker I suppose I'd be screwed. Which brings me to another question - if I HAD recorded it, would such a sale down the road be picked up?

If you enjoyed reading about "Selling stolen gun?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Sam1911
February 23, 2013, 03:26 PM
If you get it reported to the NCIC as a stolen firearm -- AND if it is handled in some official manner by law enforcement (taken as evidence, checked at a traffic stop, etc.) -- it might have been.

Otherwise, no. It is pretty unusual that, even if a stolen gun made it back into an FFL dealer's hands at some point, it would ever be run through the NCIC database unless the police get their hands on it somehow.

jmr40
February 23, 2013, 03:53 PM
If you bought it from a dealer you can probably get them to look up the SN for you. Bought from an individual you have very little chance.

Once you have the SN report it. Sometimes you get lucky. A friend of mine got his model 27 back after close to 10 years when it was recovered when the person carrying it was arrrested on drug charges nearly 100 miles away.

jstein650
February 23, 2013, 04:02 PM
Yeah, I got it at a gun show, heck, 15 years ago..? It was a steal too - $200! and was MINT after replacing the grip panels. Overtravel adjustable trigger, pinned barrel, beautiful polished blue... I'll stop before I get misty.

mgkdrgn
February 23, 2013, 09:47 PM
If you bought it from a dealer you can probably get them to look up the SN for you. Bought from an individual you have very little chance.

Once you have the SN report it. Sometimes you get lucky. A friend of mine got his model 27 back after close to 10 years when it was recovered when the person carrying it was arrrested on drug charges nearly 100 miles away.
Um, nope.

Us FFL's don't have access to any stolen gun DB. Another TV crime show generated gun myth.

jerkface11
February 23, 2013, 09:50 PM
FFL's don't have access to any stolen gun DB

Wouldn't that be a common sense gun law?

MedWheeler
February 23, 2013, 09:53 PM
Yeah, I got it at a gun show, heck, 15 years ago..

Nope, gone like a freight train... never coming back to you.

At a FFL, it likely would not be run through the wanted-database as a matter of routine, but there are locales in which it might. In Florida, many law enforcement agencies run "pawn-shop details", in which serially-numbered items are held for 30 days after being taken in before they are offered for sale. During that period, agents working that detail can, and frequently do, check the items over. They're the ones running it, not the dealers.

But, no, I'd say that, with no number on record, and so much time since that gun was purchased by you, there isn't any chance it will come back to you, literally or figuratively.

If someone were to try to sell it on, say, GunBroker I suppose I'd be screwed.

The gun's already gone; you're already screwed. It being sold again won't hurt you any.

answerguy
February 23, 2013, 09:57 PM
It was a steal too - $200!
Apparently it was a steal for the next guy too. :(

shootist2121
February 23, 2013, 11:06 PM
I bought an Astra 400 a few years ago from Gunbroker. At the time here in Missouri your had to get a permit to purchase back then from the sheriff. So the serial number was recorded by the sheriff. I got the firearm filled out the paper work with my FFL and five days latter pick up the firearm. Took to the range got through a couple hundred rounds, had fun, got home where a message was waiting from the sheriff department. Gun was stolen!!! A detective came to the house and confiscated the gun. I was lucky, the dealer I bought it from totally stood behind it and refunded me all my money. He had purchased from a regular and trusted source. I still wonder how it all settled out.

Be safe:cool:

shiftyer1
February 24, 2013, 12:51 AM
I work in a pawn shop and have an ffl, most police departments have a pawn detail that checks out what pawn shops loan on or buy. Most of the thieves know this also.

I did loan on a pistol for several years once. It was in and out several times over a period of 4 or 5 years before the police noticed it was reported stolen way back when. I always wondered what happened to that man......didn't strike me as a thief.

jstein650
February 24, 2013, 02:33 AM
That is great your dealer was able to stand by the purchase in such a good way. I'm afraid I would have been tempted to have had that gun 'stolen' before the law arrived... But if it got back in its owners hands that's good with me for sure!

mgkdrgn
February 24, 2013, 01:30 PM
Wouldn't that be a common sense gun law?
From that standpoint of the co$t of developing, maintaining, reporting to the database (and I won't even talk about the co$t of the several thousand typos that will be in there), -vs- the value of the stolen property ....

nope, not on it's best day

dogtown tom
February 24, 2013, 09:41 PM
mgkdrgn Quote:
Originally Posted by jmr40
If you bought it from a dealer you can probably get them to look up the SN for you. Bought from an individual you have very little chance....Um, nope.

Us FFL's don't have access to any stolen gun DB. Another TV crime show generated gun myth.
jmr40 didn't say anything about using a stolen gun database.

If the OP were to go to the dealer where he purchased the gun, THAT dealer most certainly could look up the firearm by simply referring to his BOUND BOOK.

I've done it twice in the last year for customers, once for ATF.

If you enjoyed reading about "Selling stolen gun?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!