What model Witness 38 super?

PDA

sandmatt
February 23, 2013, 03:55 PM
Picked up a matte blue Witness in 38 super and I'm not sure which model I have. It's a large frame DA/SA with adjustable sights, squared trigger guard, checkered on front and backstrap and on bottom of trigger guard. It has three holes factory drilled on left side of frame, beavertail and nice checkered wood grips. It was made in 1995 and came in a green box which is marked EA38SUPERB and with a black pen someone wrote SPL. An early Limited?
Had some trouble at first but after changing extractor spring, recoil spring and mag springs it runs like a sewing machine and is very accurate. An interesting note, two letter date code which is usually stamped above trigger guard is behind the mag well.
This falls in the range for the firing pin safety recall, when I called EAA they told me recall was done but could tell me nothing else about this pistol. I've seen one other one exactly like mine listed on Gunbroker for roughly twice what I paid- it was also marked SPL in ball point pen on box label. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o20/sandmatt/IMG_0786_zps86bf46b9.jpg

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o20/sandmatt/IMG_0785_zps78b0b52a.jpg

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o20/sandmatt/IMG_0784_zps4500e38d.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "What model Witness 38 super?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
wally
February 23, 2013, 05:49 PM
Looks like a variation of the Elite, if its SAO that'd be my bet. If its DA/SA (like the Standard Witness pistols) the I'd guess it was a variation of the "Stock", but I've only seen the Stock in .45ACP. The trigger sure looks like the one on my Stock

The squared trigger guard is like on the Limited, which is also SAO but my Limited came with an extended safety and is drilled and tapped for a scope mount. Also the Limited have a full length dust cover on the frame.

sandmatt
February 25, 2013, 04:14 PM
BTT. anymore insight would be appreciated.

Peter M. Eick
February 28, 2013, 04:12 PM
Looks like the same vintage as mine but the squared guard and SA/DA is odd. This is not a combination I have seen so either someone took an elite and put a SA/DA trigger into it or they got an oddball Stock which as was pointed out above had the SA/DA trigger standard by not the squared guard.

http://eickpm.com/picts/38sup_42510_2.jpg

This is my elite match from say 5 years back or so.

ATLDave
February 28, 2013, 04:56 PM
Well, the box is quite an old style, as there have been at least two types used since then. So it may be a type no longer in production.

Still, let's do the best we can. I've got a 2010 Tanfoglio catalog, so I'll use that as my "field guide." Here's what I see as the distinguishing features:

Square trigger guard
DA/SA trigger
Short dust cover (without rail, but rails were added relatively recently, and probably after that box was out of use)
Barrel of 4.75" (can you confirm?)
Holes in the left of the frame (probably tapped for C-more, though the've gone to a 4-hole pattnern now)
No compensator
Non-coned barrel
Blued, not stainless

The lack of a comp eliminates any of the Gold guns.
Limiteds are SAO, stainless.
Limited Customs have a full-length dust cover (DC) and a milled slide, stainless.
Buzz Customs have ported barrels and slides, and a full DC, stainless.
Limited Pro is closest so far (DA/SA, square trigger, partial DC, similar barrel length, non-coned barrel), but doesn't have tapping holes for C-more, stainless.
Stock II has full length DC and coned barrel, stainless.
Stock III has full length DC, but otherwise is pretty similar (including being blued, not stainless, which most of the Elite-series Tanf's are).
Matches are two-toned, SAO, and have a round trigger guard, not tapped.
Stock Buzz has round trigger guard and coned barrel, not tapped.
L's have round trigger guards, and are stainless, not tapped, stainless.
Combat Sport has a round trigger guard, not tapped, stainless.

In short, nothing that Tanfoglio was making even 3 years ago was an exact match. You may have some precursor to a Limited Pro. Cool gun!

BTW, triggers (and hammers) can be changed out on Tanfoglios/Witnesses. If you want to make it a blued Limited, you could order the parts and make it so.

sandmatt
February 28, 2013, 06:15 PM
Thanks for the responses, talked to nice young lady at EAA who told me pistol was made in 1995 and two letter date code confirms that. Was also told this pistol left EAA as a complete 38 Super, had someone state on another forum that he thought this was a parts gun.
Dave, yes this has the straight 4.75 inch barrel. As stated in OP, I've seen one other 38 Super Witness that was s/u exactly same way and marked with SPL on green box. Super Limited or Special?

ATLDave
February 28, 2013, 06:37 PM
As I'm sure you know, Tanfs/Witnesses are designed to have interchangeable (to some extent) slide/barrel assemblies. That's one reason they're so popular in some European countries - poor bastards only have to go through the hassle of getting permission to buy one gun (the frame) and then can have different uppers for different games. So there's always some chance that the caliber of the current slide will be different than that sold, but that's not the case for yours, apparently.

FWIW, the best forum on Tanf/EAA/Witness guns is at http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showforum=202 There are some folks there who really know these guns inside and out, and they may have knowledge going back far enough to say what discontinued model that is. As I said before, cool gun.

sandmatt
February 28, 2013, 07:07 PM
Thanks Dave, I'll post a picture over there and see what they say.

If you enjoyed reading about "What model Witness 38 super?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!