ar 15 bullets

PDA

thub
February 25, 2013, 03:09 PM
Would it hurt to shoot 60 grain bullets in a 1 in 9 twist barrell? Appreciate the comments. All I have ever shot in my ar is 55 grain bullets.

If you enjoyed reading about "ar 15 bullets" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rcmodel
February 25, 2013, 03:12 PM
No, it would not hurt a thing.

Your 1/9 barrel will handle up to at least 68-69 grain match bullets.

It will pretty much handle any bullet weight that will fit in the magazine.

rc

Lj1941
February 25, 2013, 03:22 PM
It all depends on the twist rate. I had some 62 Military pulls given to me by a friend who has a slow twist rate in his Remington 223. They were key holeing badly for him at very short range.They do fine in my Savage with a 9-1 rate. My advice would be to load a small number(5) and try and see how your AR shoots. The early AR as I remember worked fine with 55'S but would not handle the newer heavier military slugs.
SORRY. I WAS NOT PAYING ATTENTION TO YOUR POST. THEY WILL WORK JUST FINE IN YOUR AR.

ngnrd
February 25, 2013, 07:06 PM
No, it would not hurt a thing.

Your 1/9 barrel will handle up to at least 68-69 grain match bullets.

It will pretty much handle any bullet weight that will fit in the magazine.

rc
That's a pretty good rule of thumb. But like any other "rule", there are certainly exceptions. I tried to get some 75gr Swift Scirocco's to shoot from my 1:9 twist .223, without success. Yes, I could get them seated to mag length. And yes, they say 1:8 twist required right on the box. But I heard that some 1:9's would shoot 'em OK, any others wouldn't, so I thought I'd give 'em a try. Nope... nothing but pretty little keyholes all over the paper.:rolleyes:

But, no... 60 grainer's certainly wouldn't be an issue.

45lcshooter
February 26, 2013, 09:25 AM
60s are fine. Anything above 72-75 grain will not stabilize, hence will not shoot straight, it will tumble through the air instead of cutting through

SSN Vet
February 26, 2013, 12:03 PM
My 16" 1:9 loves 69 gr SMKs....

If you enjoyed reading about "ar 15 bullets" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!