9x23 1911 conversion ?

PDA

stuffisgood
February 25, 2013, 05:23 PM
I picked up this stuff at an auction over the weekend. I had read a little about the cartridge before then, but I'm not at all familiar with it. It all went for less that what I expect the shells are worth, so I figured why not, it didn't seem like anyone else knew for sure what it was either. The cartridge looks almost identical to 38 super, if I were to drop a box of each on the floor I would have to check headstamps to sort them.
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u74/samhouseman01/DSC03969_zpsc4a81ec3.jpg

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u74/samhouseman01/DSC03970_zps4e6549ae.jpg

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u74/samhouseman01/DSC03971_zps75c57684.jpg

I've done some searching, but I haven't found exactly what I'm looking for. I've got some extra slides laying around off some 45's. What would I need to do to get one set up to shoot the 9x23?

If you enjoyed reading about "9x23 1911 conversion ?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rcmodel
February 25, 2013, 05:28 PM
A .38 Super or 9mm Slide with the proper size breech face and extractor hole location.

You would also need a 9mm/.38 Super ejector.

Even the feed ramp is cut different in a .38 Super frame, but you might get lucky.

rc

9mmepiphany
February 25, 2013, 05:35 PM
The cartridge looks almost identical to 38 super,
It should, the 9x23mm is basically a rimless .38 Super

WC145
February 25, 2013, 06:15 PM
I've got a Colt .38 Super out having some work done on it right now including fitting 9mm and 9x23 barrels. If you can't find a use for the ammo and mag let me know, maybe I can help you out.

Steve in Allentown, PA
February 25, 2013, 06:23 PM
I have a Springfield 9mm converted to this caliber. The 9x23 is an awesome round. In a Government model 1911 it gives you 11 rounds of .357 Magnum. It has less felt recoil than a .45 but really cracks the sound barrier. Unlike a .45 the case life is relatively short. This is because of the rifle pressures generated by the round.

Definitely not something to fool around with in terms of shooting in something other than a properly fitted 9x23 barrel. If you reload, you can drop the pressure down to 9mm levels thereby extending case life.

Do a search for Dane Burns and read through his website. He's a big proponent of the round.

smalls
February 25, 2013, 08:42 PM
I'm jealous! I've been trying to find more info on the 9x23, and have been interested for a while. My main problem is that I'm having difficulty finding a commander length bull barrel in the caliber. It's been suggested to me to buy a 9mm barrel and have it reamed out and I'm thinking thus may be my only option.

RSVP2RIP
February 25, 2013, 08:52 PM
I have an original Colt 9x23 Government with the 38 super conversion. The 9x23 is a tapered case where the 38 super is a straight wall semi rimmed case. Don't try to chamber a 9x23 in a 38 super. It most likely will not fit but if it does, the case may split when fired. 9mm dies (9x19mm luger) can be used to reload it. Please have the barrel fitted, as it does operate at near rifle pressures. The original Colt recoil spring is two nested springs and they are pretty heavy springs, if I had to guess 20-22#. Winchester cases are the best, Starline cases aren't built as heavily I'm told, never bought starline in this caliber. I wish it would take off more, it has more to offer than the 357 SIG. I didn't know they sold the 9x23 conversion on it's own. It might be the original owner had the 38 super conversion and left it in because ammo would be easier to get, cheaper and have less recoil.

For a pistol, I would start with a 38 super pistol and have the barrel fitted. Then all that would be needed is to have the extractor tuned to handle both cartriges, or better yet have a 9mm extractor fitted just for the 9x23, and while your at it have a 9x19 barrel fitted so you have a 3in1 gun. Forgot to say you need a new spring for the 9x23.

GCBurner
February 25, 2013, 09:46 PM
Exterior dimensions are about identical to the Spanish 9x23 Largo, but the pressure of the 9x23 Winchester is way too high to shoot through the old Astra of Star 9mm Largo pistols. You could probably use the empty brass to reload for the Largo, though, it's a lot stronger than the original Largo cases.

BullfrogKen
February 25, 2013, 10:02 PM
If all you got was the barrel, mag and some rounds, you need a whole new 1911. A .45 frame and .45 slide are not compatable at all.

I'm jealous! I've been trying to find more info on the 9x23, and have been interested for a while. My main problem is that I'm having difficulty finding a commander length bull barrel in the caliber. It's been suggested to me to buy a 9mm barrel and have it reamed out and I'm thinking thus may be my only option.

That's exactly what Jim Gartwaite does when he builds Commander length 9x23's. That's exactly what mine is, a 9mm Nowlin reamed to 9x23 dimensions.

Contact Jim and see what he can do for you.

smalls
February 27, 2013, 12:10 AM
I will, Ken! Thanks for the heads up!

If you don't mind me askin, what did the barrel and work on it run you?

If you enjoyed reading about "9x23 1911 conversion ?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!