Almost 7 months to the day ... first SBR AR

PDA

kimberkid
February 25, 2013, 10:03 PM
Form 1 sent in 7-22-12 ... received stamp 2-23-13

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v40/kimberkid/Toys/P1010719.jpg

The lower is a Colt 6940 and the upper is a Colt Diemaco that is in great shape but was an prison issue gun and has some handling & rack wear so it could stand a little refinishing.

If you enjoyed reading about "Almost 7 months to the day ... first SBR AR" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
bikemutt
February 25, 2013, 10:11 PM
Congrats, enjoy!

Gato MontÚs
February 27, 2013, 10:47 AM
Nice! Looks like a handy little bugger.

tepin
February 27, 2013, 03:59 PM
Congrats. I sent mine on 7/20/12 and got my stamp on 1/25/13.
I live in MN and used a Trust.

Did you use a Trust? Curious what state you live in?

JustinJ
February 27, 2013, 06:17 PM
Ugh, don't tell me this. I just had my paperwork sent in last week for a SilencerCo Osprey and i'm optimistically hoping for just five months.

Congrats, btw.

kimberkid
February 27, 2013, 06:33 PM
I'm in Kansas and I used a trust too ... when I checked on it back in September or so they told me it would probably be Feburary.

In the last month I've sent in a form 4 for a suppressor and a form 1 for a SiG-553 pistol to SBR; I hope to get my stamps for them yet this year ... plus I have 2 other suppressors my dealer is still waiting on, then I'm most likely done with NFA.

JustinJ
February 27, 2013, 06:59 PM
In the last month I've sent in a form 4 for a suppressor and a form 1 for a SiG-553 pistol to SBR;

Not to get off topic but what parts are you swapping for NFA compliance? I just found out those are available and they sure are tempting. I just haven't done a parts count yet so my concern is just how different it will be from a 556 after all the american parts are put in, aside from the mags of course.

pmj341
February 28, 2013, 01:40 PM
Congrats
I'm also 5 months down 2 to go on a SBR
and 2 months on a suppressor for a 308 :fire:

kimberkid
March 2, 2013, 12:52 PM
Not to get off topic but what parts are you swapping for NFA compliance? I just found out those are available and they sure are tempting. I just haven't done a parts count yet so my concern is just how different it will be from a 556 after all the american parts are put in, aside from the mags of course.
Just a heads up; You can buy a steel Swiss made lower at a special price when you buy the 553 from ARMATI-USA, its brand new and an additional $800 which about $500 lower than the used ones floating around on Gunbroker last time I looked ... One BTAFE person tells my SOT that NFA is NFA and we don't need to add US made parts because an SBR is not a sporting rifle so 922R doesn't apply (which makes sense to me) ... However when I call in they tell me I do, and I'm not going to be the guy that writes a letter so I just error on the side of caution.

Now, all that aside, the 553 lower is US made, same lower as the 551A1 only with a pistol cap pinned on instead of a stock, so you don't have to add any US made parts; however I'm going to use a 556 lower and pmags anyway so I don't have to use my rock-in SiG mags, which will give me plenty of compliance

If you enjoyed reading about "Almost 7 months to the day ... first SBR AR" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!