Shipping handgun to California

PDA

D51208
February 26, 2013, 01:39 AM
Hi,

Someone in California wants to buy my Glock 20. Its is a gen 2 pre ban. I am in the New York.
I don't think he'll be able to get the preban 15rd mags right?

What is the process, and can it be done? How much will it cost in time and money?

Thanks in advance!

If you enjoyed reading about "Shipping handgun to California" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
NavyLCDR
February 26, 2013, 10:45 AM
Easy way is to take it to an FFL in New York, and they send it to an FFL in California. The California FFL will provide the New York FFL with the info required for the shipping. Probably about $20-$30 cost on your end to pay the New York FFL. Then you are off the hook legally.

The 15 round magazines can be disassembled and the parts sent into California. If the buyer re-assembles the magazines inside California, they are violating the law.

Also, to be legal in California, I believe in this case the gun would have to be on the California safe list.

Federal law allows you to ship the gun to the FFL in California yourself. I am not sure if New York law allows it or not. You would have to send it overnight via Fedex or UPS, but the FFL can just mail it US Post Office, so it is usually cheaper to just pay the FFL to do it anyway.

Bubbles
February 26, 2013, 11:36 AM
I ship a lot into CA.

First, based on the info in this thread from CalGuns over the past few days, I would have the buyer contact his transfer dealer first and make sure the Glock is still legal to transfer.
Glock, Sig, Taurus out of California (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=707995)

Second, you will need two shipments, the gun to the FFL, and the magazine rebuild kits should go directly to the seller. Don't send the kits to the dealer, he doesn't want them and doesn't want to know about them.

Third, CA FFL's are required to collect sales tax on the value of guns transferred even if the seller is not a dealer. Put an invoice in the box. If you sold it online a printout of the listing or completed auction also works.

Fourth, if you use an FFL in NY to ship the gun so as to not incur overnight fees from UPS or FedEx, make sure that he is set up with the CA DoJ to ship guns into CA. Some FFL's don't want to be bothered with it.

NavyLCDR
February 26, 2013, 02:45 PM
Fourth, if you use an FFL in NY to ship the gun so as to not incur overnight fees from UPS or FedEx, make sure that he is set up with the CA DoJ to ship guns into CA. Some FFL's don't want to be bothered with it.

I think it would be pretty ironic for a New York FFL to say that California has too many restrictions and regulations to bother with.....

If you enjoyed reading about "Shipping handgun to California" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!