picked up a TC seneca .36

PDA

eastbank
February 26, 2013, 10:27 AM
picked up a tc seneca in .36 over the weekend serial # 437xx, it was dirty and a light coating of surface rust. some dings and bumps but no cracks or splits in the wood. checking the bore showed it in ex condition. ended up getting it for 250.00. by the condition of the nipple and surrounding area it looks like it was not fired much,just sat alot. well it cleaned up pretty nice and i am happy with it. eastbank.

If you enjoyed reading about "picked up a TC seneca .36" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Patocazador
February 26, 2013, 10:55 AM
I'm not up to date on Senecas but sounds like a good deal to me.
When you get over the newness and switch to something else, send it to me for $250. ;)

Prairie Dawg
February 26, 2013, 12:01 PM
That's quite a find!
Yule enjoy shooting it.
Prettiest little gun T/C ever made!
--Dawg

Jim, West PA
February 26, 2013, 02:16 PM
You done real real real REAL REAL good eastbank.
She's mighty pertty.

loose noose
February 26, 2013, 10:42 PM
Not too shabby if I do say so myself.;)

VA27
February 27, 2013, 03:46 PM
I think you stole it! I had a Cherokee (same gun, 45 caliber) back in the day. I wish I'd kept it and a Seneca, too. I think you're set for some fun!

kbbailey
February 28, 2013, 02:32 PM
congrats.

Everyone that is 'in the know' claims that the .36 shoots much cleaner than a .32. I know my little .32 squirrel rifle gets fouled pretty quick.

good luck with the new T/C

Busyhands94
March 1, 2013, 08:54 AM
Very nice! Hope you enjoy that rifle! :)

Shanghai McCoy
March 1, 2013, 09:59 AM
eastbank,
That is what my wife and I refer to as a "Deal" deal...
Good find.

OrangePwrx9
March 1, 2013, 01:32 PM
You.LUCKY.Dawg!

Be careful removing and replacing the barrel. The stocks on Senecas and Cherokees are a mite fragile. Just pay attention to how the breech engages the tang and don't force things and you should be alright.

Mine loves 15-20gr. Pyrodex P loads behind a .350 PRB with .010 patch. Heavier loads foul the bore too fast; heavier patches broke my ramrod. The load data in the TC manual might be why these rifles never got real popular.

gunsablazin
March 4, 2013, 04:34 PM
I have a .36 Cherokee, and it's a sweet little rifle. I use 25grs of Pyrodex P with a patched round ball, very accurate load in my gun. I shot it 20 times a few weeks ago with no cleaning between shots with no issues, I lube the patches with bore butter and just keep shooting.

Zeke/PA
March 4, 2013, 05:32 PM
I have a Seneca .36 Caliber that I bought new about 30 years ago AND it's a fun gun if you're a Black Powder fan.
I didn't like the "pistol" sights on the rifle so I made new ones.
It shoots superbly with the round ball and it's a great Squirrel gun..
Depending on WHERE but I saw a Seneca at a local FFL where the price tag said $500.00.

Jim, West PA
March 5, 2013, 09:06 AM
Hey Zeke, I really hate these pistol sights also.
Would you please post up some pics of your sights ?
And, maybe elaborate on how you made 'em ? I've thot about the possiblity of mix matchin some sight parts but haven't tried it yet.
Did you try T/C Hawken sights for fit on yer Seneca ?

Zeke/PA
March 6, 2013, 02:22 PM
Hey Zeke, I really hate these pistol sights also.
Would you please post up some pics of your sights ?
And, maybe elaborate on how you made 'em ? I've thot about the possiblity of mix matchin some sight parts but haven't tried it yet.
Did you try T/C Hawken sights for fit on yer Seneca ?
I wish that I knew how to post pictures.
I am a Journeyman Toolmaker (retired) so making such a sight/sights was relatively easy.
However, if you have a shop at you disposal I can supply some tactics!

Jim, West PA
March 6, 2013, 08:25 PM
I do indeed have access to a machine shop Zeke and would appreciate the "tactics".
Oh, and as for pics.....if ya want, i can walk ya thru that process here and make it quite easy for ya.

Zeke/PA
March 7, 2013, 09:24 AM
Jim,
Let me take some photos first and then you can begin your tutoring session.

gunner69
March 9, 2013, 01:21 AM
Three hours ago the FedEx truck pulled up in my drive. When I opened the box out came a T/S Seneca with both the .36 and .45 barrels. There is a Gun Show in town this weekend so I will most likely "make smoke" Sunday. Weather report says the weather will be in the 70's(F).:evil:

If you enjoyed reading about "picked up a TC seneca .36" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!