What's a good 1911 in the $700-$800 range?

PDA

Gato Montés
February 26, 2013, 10:13 AM
So basically I was dead set on picking up a Ruger SR1911 Government, but with availability so low I've only seen ONE, ever, and that was a rental. I'm pretty ignorant to all the different models of 1911's out there, so I was looking for some comparable models that stack up well with the Ruger both in features and price. From the small amount of research I did, it seems 1911's weren't shielded from the mass buying panic either so I know pricing as of right now will reflect that, but I'm fine at waiting things out until the prices come back down. The Rugers are stainless but I'd be fine with simple parkerizing as well.

Oh, and one last thing. Usually not an issue with me, but for this there is a strong preference for American made. Not a deal breaker but certainly a consideration.

Thanks guys.:)

If you enjoyed reading about "What's a good 1911 in the $700-$800 range?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
bainter1212
February 26, 2013, 10:42 AM
I bought my Springfield Mil-Spec a couple years ago for $650. I has been a GREAT gun. Super reliable. Slide and frame made in Brazil, other parts made in U.S. assembled in the USA.

jmr40
February 26, 2013, 10:51 AM
All the guntores I go in recently are pretty well sold out of anything holding 10+ rounds, but there are plenty of 1911's on the shelf. I'd bet a little looking around will turn up a nice used Colt, Kimber or other good quality 1911 at a good price.

I picked up a couple of used S&W 1911's under $800 a couple of years ago. I bet you could still find one in that range. I've had pretty much all of the 1911's in the under $1200 range, the S&W version impresses me the most.

bannockburn
February 26, 2013, 11:01 AM
I would say that Remington and Ruger would fit your criteria in terms of your price range and having been built in the U.S. Other than that you might try looking for a used Colt, S&W, Kimber, or SIG though you still might have to increase your price range a bit.

Gato Montés
February 26, 2013, 11:11 AM
How are the Remingtons in terms of quality? Beyond having my own experiences I've seen many a post regarding an apparent drop in quality from a broad range of their offerings.

The Springfield Mil-Spec was a consideration but the extended beavertail is something I want. Never fired the Springer, but I have a bad history of hammer/slide bite so it's a big deal to me.

farm23
February 26, 2013, 11:16 AM
There are many good 1911 and Ruger is one of the best [Ruger now has a Commander size 1911]. It may be more than your budget but I like Kimber and I agree on USA made. In fact it is a deal breaker for me. I do not know for sure but have been told Springfield is made in Hungary / Croatia.

tarosean
February 26, 2013, 11:24 AM
Springfield is made in Hungary / Croatia.

Their XD line (poly guns) are, but their 1911's are assembled here with slides/frames from Brazilian forgings.

SDGlock23
February 26, 2013, 11:32 AM
Find an "NM" Springfield model PX9109LP, those are pretty dang nice in that price range, even comes with night sights.

g_one
February 26, 2013, 11:39 AM
I think Remington's 1911 don't get quite as much praise as they deserve. While they're not on par with a Kimber or a high-end Springfield, they're definitely a step above the RIA, or Springfield mil-spec line of things. The Remington R1-Enhanced I had the opportunity to shoot had one of the best factory trigger jobs I've ever felt on a 1911

tuj
February 26, 2013, 11:47 AM
I like the STI Spartan.

9mmepiphany
February 26, 2013, 01:03 PM
I bought my Springfield Mil-Spec a couple years ago for $650. I has been a GREAT gun. Super reliable. Slide and frame made in Brazil, other parts made in U.S. assembled in the USA.
but their 1911's are assembled here with slides/frames from Brazilian forgings.
The lower end SA pistols are not brought in as forgings to be assembled in the US...only the $2500 Professional and other Custom shop 1911 come in that way. Most SA slides and frames are imported as finished parts. Some, like the Mil-Spec, are completely assembled in Brazil.

Not that there is anything wrong with them...IMBEL is an highly respected manufacturer...but, not falling in line with what the OP asked for

I like the STI Spartan.
I really like STI 1911s, however the Spartan in produced and assembled in the P.I.

Gato Montés
February 26, 2013, 03:18 PM
Like I said, country of origin not a deal breaker, just would be nice to have an American firearm full of American history produced by an American manufacturer.

Pardon my ignorance, but when looking for a model similar to Ruger's offering you say you'll have to spend a bit more, how much more are we talking? I understand the cost behind a Colt because, well, it's a Colt, but the others?

And here I thought $800 was a decent amount to spend on a single handgun, this thread is making me feel poor, and stupid.:uhoh:

9mmepiphany
February 26, 2013, 03:59 PM
And here I thought $800 was a decent amount to spend on a single handgun, this thread is making me feel poor, and stupid
You shouldn't feel that way.

When economy models start around 500 and go over $3000 for production models, $800 is an entry level. The sweet spot in 1911s is in the $1500 range.

Based on the Ruger SR1911s I've shot and and others that I have handled, it is a very nice entry level 1911...if you like the features it comes with...but it doesn't have much of a track record yet. Folks said the same thing when Springfield Armory came on the market to challenge Colt and it has now become an industry standard

Gato Montés
February 26, 2013, 04:09 PM
Well, I suppose I now understand the attraction and the demand that follows an American made 1911 at that price point, given the other offerings.

Ruger it is then. Least there won't be any buyers remorse like I usually get when debating what to buy, can't afford anything else.:D

Fishslayer
February 26, 2013, 05:36 PM
Like I said, country of origin not a deal breaker, just would be nice to have an American firearm full of American history produced by an American manufacturer.

The Rock Island Tactical has a solid reputation. It's made in the Phillipines. The Tactical model has most of the upgrades most people have done to a GI. Better sights, better trigger (mine is outstanding) ambi safety, beavertail. At around $550 OTD it's a steal, IMO. Especially in California where the 70 type 1911s that are rostered are few.
A lot of people knock the finish. It's Parkerized. I'm not sure what they think a Park'd pistol is supposed to look like but mine looks just fine.;)

This is the part where the Kimber guys chime in with "You get what you pay for etc etc etc." Haters gonna hate. Owners love the Rocks and should you need customer service their center in Nevada is reputed to be top notch.
With $800 you would have enough left for a box or two of ammo...
...if you can find any. ;)

Girodin
February 26, 2013, 06:13 PM
I will tell you my theory when it comes to buying production 1911s. I think it makes sense to do the following:

1) Decide your budget

2) Sit down and list the features that are important to you

3) Look at what guns offer those features

4) Identify which guns on that list are in your price range.

With production 1911s it is generally cheaper and easier to buy something out the box with the features you want then it is to add them after the fact. A lot of what people like and want in a 1911 is simply personal preference as well.

WoodchuckAssassin
February 26, 2013, 06:46 PM
If you have more patients than I do, then the Ruger is well worth the wait. I own, shoot, and gush over the SR1911 as often as possible :D

If you need a 1911 RIGHT NOW - a feeling I know all too well - then Springfield would be a great buy. The gun shops in my area always have one in stock. I used to think that the Remington R1 was something worth looking into, but there was a recent thread posted on this forum where someone had a really bad experience with one.

Of all the Ruger 1911's out there, I have YET to hear something extreamely negative about them.

needmorecowbell
February 26, 2013, 07:09 PM
Kimber Custom II can usually be had for around $700. I think a good quality 1911 for the price. Been very happy with the reliability and accuracy of mine.

9mmepiphany
February 26, 2013, 08:00 PM
Of all the Ruger 1911's out there, I have YET to hear something extreamely negative about them.
We can take care of that easily.

I was at Gunsite a couple of years ago taking the 1911 Centennial class...needless to say, all 1911s...and there were a couple of SR1911s on the line. (The Ruger plant is local)

During a string of fire, one of the SR1911s had a stoppage. Turned out that the Firing Pin Stop had slipped out the bottom of the slide during recoil and the firing pin took flight (no FPS to catch it)

bainter1212
February 26, 2013, 08:24 PM
+1 on the Rock Island suggestion. $500 for a good parked 1911 with all the upgrades you could want, plus enough $ left over for ammo. Their CS is great and they make compact models as well. They even make their Tactical model in 9mm if you're into that.

blkbrd666
February 26, 2013, 08:34 PM
I bought a S&W 1911 about a year ago for $600 and it's an awesome shooter. Stainless and came from the factory with most of the "upgrades" people do to the basic 1911. It's a keeper.

HKGuns
February 26, 2013, 08:41 PM
There are a lot of good options for you already mentioned. Some of them didn't exist when I purchased this one. However, I would still recommend this as a great 1911 for the money. No reason for ANYONE to feel poor and stupid. There are a LOT of excellent options available in this price range, I just happened to land on this one. You don't need to spend $2500 to get a decent running 1911.

http://hkguns.zenfolio.com/img/s1/v21/p465354837-5.jpg

Rancher5
February 26, 2013, 08:49 PM
I have a kimber pro carry 2 like it allot, though it needs better sights,I picked up a Remington A1 Enhanced recently ,is one of the best balanced and user friendly pistols I ever shot out of the boxs ready, Great sights, grip, and a perfect balance for a 1911, great looking and handling shooter,The Kimber has a weight issue though lighter, its a great CC gun though nothing beats a steel framed 1911 as they feel very balanced, Also have a Tactical Practical Glock 34 Gen3 shoots great not as balanced as the Remington or the Kimber though its a different shooting gun in a 9 caliber verses other 2 as 45's, all in the 800 or less price range.

joecil
February 26, 2013, 08:59 PM
I sold my full size Springfield PX9109LP shortly after getting a RIA/Armscor 1911 CS. I had the same type of night sights put on it that was on the Springfield under factory warranty and never looked back or regretted it. The CS has been my daily carry now for 2 years.

Maj Dad
February 26, 2013, 10:07 PM
I just acquired a ParaOrd GI Expert from a THR member for $500 + $20 sh. I was kind of leery of what I had bitten on, but on receiving it, I think it is worth the money. I got a few extra quality mags with it, which sweetened the deal, but the pistol seems solid, and though the factory finish is less than "haut qualité", I think it will do exactly what I wanted: be a M1911 and fire when the trigger is pulled and hit the object at which I aim. I have a Colt, and have had several Colt 1911s and 1911A1s over the years, and I know what is and what isn't a 1911. This seems to be a solid 1911 until disproved.
:cool:

zorro45
February 26, 2013, 10:12 PM
I got one of these too and it has been fine. Had a few problems with a too big slide stop part installed by a bad gunsmith (me) but a little work on that part and it runs fine.

smalls
February 26, 2013, 11:03 PM
In your price range, and American made criteria, the Ruger and Remington are your best bet. But keep checking for used guns! You might find a sweet deal on something else.

But my opinion us that the Ruger is even better than a Colt, or Kimber.

I also saw that Remington was producing a Commander length, as well as Ruger. Might be a while till we see either, though.

Gato Montés
February 27, 2013, 09:55 AM
Sorry, I'm back. Shouldn't start threads when it's my week on for 3rd shift.

Now, I made mention of the importance of an extended beavertail as my fat hand webbing has a tendency to get mauled by semis, but after looking at some pics I'm wondering if it's necessary. Do traditional 1911's with regular hammers and, uh, non extended beavertails have the ability to hammer bite? If not, the Remmy R1 or the Springer Mil-Spec can certainly be options.

9mmepiphany
February 27, 2013, 12:53 PM
If hammer bite is your biggest concern, you can just bob the hammer spur a bit.

I'd never experienced hammer bit, but I can see how it can happen with the normal length hammer spur and the regular length tang on the grip safety. I use a beavertail grip safety more for the consistent hand positioning that it offers when drawing at speed.

Aceoky
February 27, 2013, 07:09 PM
Another RIA vote, I really don't think you can beat them anywhere near the price point and with ammo costs what they are, a good 1911 within budget WITH ammo is very hard to beat IMO. I am a proud RIA 1911 owner.

smalls
February 27, 2013, 07:16 PM
Another RIA vote

There should be no votes fir RIA, because the OP wants American made. They're not bad guns, but they do not meet his criteria.

Aceoky
February 27, 2013, 07:22 PM
There should be no votes fir RIA, because the OP wants American made. They're not bad guns, but they do not meet his criteria.

Pardon my ignorance, but when looking for a model similar to Ruger's offering you say you'll have to spend a bit more, how much more are we talking? I understand the cost behind a Colt because, well, it's a Colt, but the others?

And here I thought $800 was a decent amount to spend on a single handgun, this thread is making me feel poor, and stupid.:uhoh:
As you can tell that is not exactly correct

stinger 327
February 28, 2013, 12:03 AM
Another RIA vote, I really don't think you can beat them anywhere near the price point and with ammo costs what they are, a good 1911 within budget WITH ammo is very hard to beat IMO. I am a proud RIA 1911 owner.
RIA 1911 .45 ACP Tactical for $500. Is very appealing to me but how does RIA compare to the High Standard 1911, Remington R-1 1911, Auto Ordinance 1911, and Springfield Range Officer 1911 all in .45 ACP?

stinger 327
February 28, 2013, 12:04 AM
The Rock Island Tactical has a solid reputation. It's made in the Phillipines. The Tactical model has most of the upgrades most people have done to a GI. Better sights, better trigger (mine is outstanding) ambi safety, beavertail. At around $550 OTD it's a steal, IMO. Especially in California where the 70 type 1911s that are rostered are few.
A lot of people knock the finish. It's Parkerized. I'm not sure what they think a Park'd pistol is supposed to look like but mine looks just fine.;)

This is the part where the Kimber guys chime in with "You get what you pay for etc etc etc." Haters gonna hate. Owners love the Rocks and should you need customer service their center in Nevada is reputed to be top notch.
With $800 you would have enough left for a box or two of ammo...
...if you can find any. ;)
Is the RIA Tactical 1911 .45 ACP California approved?

Aceoky
February 28, 2013, 08:02 AM
RIA 1911 .45 ACP Tactical for $500. Is very appealing to me but how does RIA compare to the High Standard 1911, Remington R-1 1911, Auto Ordinance 1911, and Springfield Range Officer 1911 all in .45 ACP?
"How they compare" is clearly subjective, but having compared the RIA side by side with several others , the RIA doesn't have the "nicer finish" of some, but that is not that important to me as mine was going IWB holster anyway. Also the RIA Customer Service is second to none from everything I can find out, though I cannot say for sure since mine has never had the first issue with many rounds downrange. I would not hesitate to buy another and likely will .

bikerdoc
February 28, 2013, 08:44 AM
Th P I imports are a value IMO.

otasan56
February 28, 2013, 09:26 AM
I highly recommend the Springfield Armory M1911A1 .45 ACP handguns. I have two of them, and they have been a real blessing to my shooting career. I won a $5000 competition with one of them back in 1990. And countless pin matches as well.

Gato Montés
February 28, 2013, 09:53 AM
I like most have looked at the RIAs before as they are a great value. Hell, the Philippines have as much to do with the introduction of the 1911 as America, so they get a pass.

That being said, I think the Ruger is it. I've grown up with Rugers and have always been a fan, so if they're making one why not? For now that is.

stinger 327
February 28, 2013, 11:11 AM
I like most have looked at the RIAs before as they are a great value. Hell, the Philippines have as much to do with the introduction of the 1911 as America, so they get a pass.

That being said, I think the Ruger is it. I've grown up with Rugers and have always been a fan, so if they're making one why not? For now that is.
This is true as the .45 ACP was used against the Moro warriors since the .38 caliber wasn't stopping them in time as they would die afterwards killing a few soldiers with them until they dropped.

mljdeckard
February 28, 2013, 11:23 AM
My dad bought a Springfield G.I. with the traditional safety. I told him with his big hands, he might be worried about hammer bite, but he never had a problem. I have never experienced hammer bite on any 1911, I have pretty normal-sized hands.

I paid $630 for my Kimber Custom II several years ago, NIB, they other day I was in Scheel's, they had a couple for $799. It's the best handgun I have ever owned, but if I had to replace it tomorrow, I would give the STI Spartan and the Ruger a look. (If I could find them.)

stinger 327
February 28, 2013, 11:25 AM
My dad bought a Springfield G.I. with the traditional safety. I told him with his big hands, he might be worried about hammer bite, but he never had a problem. I have never experienced hammer bite on any 1911, I have pretty normal-sized hands.

I paid $630 for my Kimber Custom II several years ago, NIB, they other day I was in Scheel's, they had a couple for $799. It's the best handgun I have ever owned, but if I had to replace it tomorrow, I would give the STI Spartan and the Ruger a look. (If I could find them.)
I am hearing alot of good things about the Ruger. But they only make it in stainless? No blue color finish or parkerized coating?

Gato Montés
February 28, 2013, 12:35 PM
For now stainless is it, but who knows for the future. I think they're more worried about catching up on backlogged orders right now than potential new offerings in the finish department, but then again they did just release that Commander...

I was looking through a book I have here called "Classic Handguns of the 20th Century" or something by David Arnold, he talks briefly about the possibility of hammer bite. From what it looks like to me, it seems that the A1 modification took care of that as the original has almost no tang and the hammer extends quite a bit below it. I suppose the only way I'm gonna find out is to find one to try.

WoodchuckAssassin
February 28, 2013, 08:14 PM
9mmepiphany,

Well...I guess there's a first time for everything. Haha! I'm really surprised that happened. I've never heard of that malfunction before - not just on the Ruger, but any 1911. Thanks for proving me wrong, I guess :uhoh:

foolsgold80z
February 28, 2013, 08:36 PM
I have owned several Springfield GI and Loaded 1911's and none has been a disappointment.

stinger 327
March 1, 2013, 11:39 AM
RIA as a Lifetime Warranty?

Aceoky
March 1, 2013, 03:40 PM
Yes lifetime and not only on the original buyer is my understanding.

stinger 327
March 1, 2013, 04:08 PM
Yes lifetime and not only on the original buyer is my understanding.
That's the one I want to get the 1911 RIA Tactical .45 ACP except at this time all guns are sold out.

Aceoky
March 1, 2013, 06:35 PM
I may be totally wrong, but my understanding is the PI elections held up export (maybe production?) but things are back on track now as far as I have heard.

Quick Shot xMLx
March 1, 2013, 10:55 PM
I own a Magnum Research(aka "Desert Eagle") 1911 and I think its one of the nicest 1911s you can get in the price range. Definitely an underrated gun. I have around 1200 flawless rounds through mine. Best trigger I've felt on a sub $1000 semi-auto.

Auto426
March 1, 2013, 11:12 PM
When I first got into the 1911 game it was with a Springfield G.I. I didnt know all that much and i wanted to sort of test the waters to see if 1911's are for me. That gun is now gone, and i think there are better options available since I first got into the game. Today, if I were in that same situation I would probably opt for a Ruger SR1911 if you can find one that hasn't seen a major price increase due to demand.

stinger 327
March 2, 2013, 01:27 AM
This seems to be a nationwide problem with all handguns and hand gun ammo.

stinger 327
March 2, 2013, 01:31 AM
When I first got into the 1911 game it was with a Springfield G.I. I didnt know all that much and i wanted to sort of test the waters to see if 1911's are for me. That gun is now gone, and i think there are better options available since I first got into the game. Today, if I were in that same situation I would probably opt for a Ruger SR1911 if you can find one that hasn't seen a major price increase due to demand.
This seems to be a nationwide problem with all handguns and hand gun ammo.

Gato Montés
March 2, 2013, 09:56 AM
I think on my week off I'll go and try to find a Filipino 1911 to inspect. I considered that option before and ultimately decided to pass, but their 1911 Tactical model has all of the features I'm looking for at a price point that can't be ignored. Finish is on the low end I hear but so what, won't mind if I beat it up then.

Thanks for all the advice by the way everyone.

stinger 327
March 2, 2013, 03:53 PM
I think on my week off I'll go and try to find a Filipino 1911 to inspect. I considered that option before and ultimately decided to pass, but their 1911 Tactical model has all of the features I'm looking for at a price point that can't be ignored. Finish is on the low end I hear but so what, won't mind if I beat it up then.

Thanks for all the advice by the way everyone.
I know exactly what you mean that's why I want to get a RIA .45 1911 Tactical.
Imagine if you bought a Sig 1911 for what is the cost on that over $1,000? You would never want to get a scratch on that gun let alone get any kinds of blemishes you get on using these guns at the range. Too good of a gun to shoot.:eek:

Coldfinger
March 3, 2013, 01:20 AM
Smith & Wesson E series on the high end at 900.00 bux
Remington R1 at 600.00 bux.

mnhntr
March 3, 2013, 01:34 AM
In your price range Ruger, STI, Rock Island, Springfield, Magnum Research, Remington, Para. IMO this is the order of quality in 1911s under a 1K. I have not owned all of them but have shot all of them. I owned a Ruger, STI Lawman, 2 Springfields one GI customized and one TRP, and a RIA customized. The most accurate and reliable out of the box was the TRP but that is not in your price range. The second best was the Ruger, followed by the STI. After some good aftermarket parts were intalled the RIA and Springfield GI were great shooters. If you want a gun made for you, get a RIA GI for $500and buy the parts you like and put them on it making it yours.

mnhntr
March 3, 2013, 01:51 AM
RIA before adding aftermarket parts

travisd
March 3, 2013, 04:26 AM
Just picked up a stainless Remington R1. Haven't shot it yet but I like it so far. Was the only thing in the 1911 case for under a grand other than a Taurus. Should get out Monday and put a few rounds through it.

Bullet Bob
March 3, 2013, 09:02 AM
Originally Posted by Gato Montés

This is true as the .45 ACP was used against the Moro warriors since the .38 caliber wasn't stopping them in time as they would die afterwards killing a few soldiers with them until they dropped.
Close but no cigar. Although the last major battle with the Moro's was in 1913, the problems began there in the very late 1800's, well before the adoption of the 1911. It was Colt SAA's in .45 Colt that were pulled back into service. I don't doubt a few 1911's (or even a few privately owned Colt 1905's) it into the country before the end though.

Gato Montés
March 3, 2013, 10:12 AM
I've read that while the .38 Long Colt was low on the power scale, the reputation it received because of poor results against the Moros is greatly blown out of proportion as the Krag rifle also had a hard time with those crazy buggers. Further, I've seen many who confuse the .38 Long Colt with the .38 Special, which of course is an entirely different cartridge. Still though, it seems the .45 ACP is excessively popular with Filipinos, at least from what I've seen/read.

Roadking Rider
March 3, 2013, 11:25 AM
Another vote for the ROCK. I bought the GI RIA's 1911 45acp. because I wanted a 1911 45 that was close to what I carried in the military. That and it does not have the firing pin safety, which makes for a very sweet trigger pull. I can say for sure the Rock will shoot ammo that the one I had in the military could't dream of shooting. I have never found a brand of 45 acp ammo it wouldn't shoot. (including JHP's) IMO if your looking for a good entry level 1911 the Rock is hard to beat.

Gato Montés
March 3, 2013, 04:35 PM
Is the only difference between a series 70 and series 80 the firing pin safety? Is the series 80's additional safety even necessary? I only ask because it looks as if many seek out 70's over 80's for the trigger pull, which obviously has to do with the firing pin safety.

The Ruger I believe is a series 70 style, while the Remingtons are series 80, I think anyway. I'm guessing the Rocks are series 70's as well?

mnhntr
March 3, 2013, 04:41 PM
It is a similar arguement to the internal or external extractor. All boils down to preference. Me, I am a internal extractor series 70 kinda guy. Not right or wrong just preference. The RIA I had was a 70 series.

stinger 327
March 3, 2013, 07:32 PM
Another vote for the ROCK. I bought the GI RIA's 1911 45acp. because I wanted a 1911 45 that was close to what I carried in the military. That and it does not have the firing pin safety, which makes for a very sweet trigger pull. I can say for sure the Rock will shoot ammo that the one I had in the military could't dream of shooting. I have never found a brand of 45 acp ammo it wouldn't shoot. (including JHP's) IMO if your looking for a good entry level 1911 the Rock is hard to beat.
I have heard the RIA .45 is accurate and feeds well different types of ammo.

Aceoky
March 3, 2013, 10:54 PM
I have heard the RIA .45 is accurate and feeds well different types of ammo.
All is true IF My RIA 5" GI is "typical"

stinger 327
March 3, 2013, 11:58 PM
All is true IF My RIA 5" GI is "typical"
I want the RIA 5" Tactical model.

otasan56
March 4, 2013, 08:08 AM
We need to elect a pro-gun POTUS and Senate. The HR is already solidly pro-gun.

Roadking Rider
March 4, 2013, 11:37 AM
A Rock Tatical Model I'm sure is as reliable as any 1911 out there in todays market. You do not have to spend a small furtune to have a good reliable 1911. I believe the Rock GI model is the only 70 series pistol they make. I could be wrong about that, but I thought I read that somewhere..

stinger 327
March 4, 2013, 03:11 PM
A Rock Tatical Model I'm sure is as reliable as any 1911 out there in todays market. You do not have to spend a small furtune to have a good reliable 1911. I believe the Rock GI model is the only 70 series pistol they make. I could be wrong about that, but I thought I read that somewhere..
What is a 70 series?

jim goose
March 4, 2013, 03:28 PM
Maybe a bit out of the price range, but anyone know how are the SIG 1911's are?

stinger 327
March 4, 2013, 03:29 PM
:what:maybe a bit out of the price range, but anyone know how are the sig 1911's are?
$1,000 +:what:

GuysModel94
March 5, 2013, 12:54 AM
Sig 1911 TTT should be about $850.-, nice gun and my second choice. I held out and finally found a S&W Stainless (non-rail) for $925.-, glad i did, i love this gun. The Sig at that price is a great deal IMO.

bds
March 5, 2013, 09:38 AM
Maybe a bit out of the price range, but anyone know how are the SIG 1911's are?
Regardless of model/finish, all 5" Sig 1911s are built on the same stainless frame/slide and built in the USA with same internals/match grade barrel/trigger. For the best bang-for-the -buck, I would suggest the Nitron XO pistol that's well under $1000.

A friend bought a RIA Tactical same time as I bought my Sig 1911 TacPac and both have well over 5000+ rounds shot through them without issues or parts breakage.

RIA Tactical has more generous tapered chamber/mouth with slower start of rifling (longer leade) that will feed/chamer any reloads (particuarly SWC loads) even when really dirty and keeps shooting. The accuracy has been excellent and will keep up with the Sig TacPac out to 15 yards in shot group size (single hole shot groups are the norm and shot groups will open up wider than TacPac beyond 15 yards). The trigger has lightened up since new and feels very smooth. Even with the round count, slide-to-frame fit has remained tight (we used Hoppes #9 and Breakfree CLP).

Although we primarily used Chip McCormick 8 round mags, factory RIA mags have worked well without feeding issues. The parkerized finish is starting to wear on the slide edge at the muzzle end while the Sig TacPac's Nitron finish is still pristine.

I can't speak for other sub $600-$800 1911s but at the ~$550 price range for RIA Tactical, it gets my vote for "Must go BANG" 1911 that will produce some very accurate shot groups, even after 5000+ rounds.

stinger 327
March 5, 2013, 10:46 AM
Regardless of model/finish, all 5" Sig 1911s are built on the same stainless frame/slide and built in the USA with same internals/match grade barrel/trigger. For the best bang-for-the -buck, I would suggest the Nitron XO pistol that's well under $1000.

A friend bought a RIA Tactical same time as I bought my Sig 1911 TacPac and both have well over 5000+ rounds shot through them without issues or parts breakage.

RIA Tactical has more generous tapered chamber/mouth with slower start of rifling (longer leade) that will feed/chamer any reloads (particuarly SWC loads) even when really dirty and keeps shooting. The accuracy has been excellent and will keep up with the Sig TacPac out to 15 yards in shot group size (single hole shot groups are the norm and shot groups will open up wider than TacPac beyond 15 yards). The trigger has lightened up since new and feels very smooth. Even with the round count, slide-to-frame fit has remained tight (we used Hoppes #9 and Breakfree CLP).

Although we primarily used Chip McCormick 8 round mags, factory RIA mags have worked well without feeding issues. The parkerized finish is starting to wear on the slide edge at the muzzle end while the Sig TacPac's Nitron finish is still pristine.

I can't speak for other sub $600-$800 1911s but at the ~$550 price range for RIA Tactical, it gets my vote for "Must go BANG" 1911 that will produce some very accurate shot groups, even after 5000+ rounds.
That's the first choice for me whever I can find one. Where can you get extra RIA .45 ACP clips? I believe it only comes with one clip.

Gato Montés
March 6, 2013, 09:45 AM
A quick update since this thread has chugged along WAY longer than I ever expected. Stopped by my local Gander and compared a Rem R1 to the Ruger, both of which I was surprised were in stock. The R1 was the standard version, which was a good thing as it was proof positive that I most likely would have some problems with hammer bite. A very pretty pistol overall and if I can say anything negative about the Ruger it is that I'm a little more partial to traditional parkerizing than stainless. $749 and $799 for the Remington and Ruger respectively, and I was severely tempted to give up and buy the Ruger right then and there but fortunately the very helpful sales clerk did nothing the entire time but show how inferior these two pistols were to his Ed Brown setting me straight.:rolleyes:

stinger 327
March 6, 2013, 11:20 AM
A quick update since this thread has chugged along WAY longer than I ever expected. Stopped by my local Gander and compared a Rem R1 to the Ruger, both of which I was surprised were in stock. The R1 was the standard version, which was a good thing as it was proof positive that I most likely would have some problems with hammer bite. A very pretty pistol overall and if I can say anything negative about the Ruger it is that I'm a little more partial to traditional parkerizing than stainless. $749 and $799 for the Remington and Ruger respectively, and I was severely tempted to give up and buy the Ruger right then and there but fortunately the very helpful sales clerk did nothing the entire time but show how inferior these two pistols were to his Ed Brown setting me straight.:rolleyes:

Thanks for your input.
So the Ruger cost $749?

Speedster00
March 6, 2013, 12:26 PM
Ill second Fishslayer and the Rock Island. I have a tactical model I paid $400 for new and it shoots fantastic. great feel, light trigger, never had an issue.

stinger 327
March 6, 2013, 12:41 PM
Ill second Fishslayer and the Rock Island. I have a tactical model I paid $400 for new and it shoots fantastic. great feel, light trigger, never had an issue.
Initially that's the one I was going to get until this panic buying happened. Now there are no handguns available.

BRE346
March 6, 2013, 01:18 PM
I bought a Taurus , oh so shiny and gold trimmed for $695. It turned out to be a very honest straight-shooting piece, easy to handle and service. A very knowledgeable friend declared the trigger was perfect. It handles both ball and hollow point ammo.

So why should I spend any more?

stinger 327
March 6, 2013, 01:30 PM
I bought a Taurus , oh so shiny and gold trimmed for $695. It turned out to be a very honest straight-shooting piece, easy to handle and service. A very knowledgeable friend declared the trigger was perfect. It handles both ball and hollow point ammo.

So why should I spend any more?
I agree with you why spend more?

9mmepiphany
March 6, 2013, 01:45 PM
So the Ruger cost $749?
I'm just curious, how did you get that from this:
$749 and $799 for the Remington and Ruger respectively

...or were you being facetious and forgot the smilie?

PabloJ
March 7, 2013, 01:26 AM
So basically I was dead set on picking up a Ruger SR1911 Government, but with availability so low I've only seen ONE, ever, and that was a rental. I'm pretty ignorant to all the different models of 1911's out there, so I was looking for some comparable models that stack up well with the Ruger both in features and price. From the small amount of research I did, it seems 1911's weren't shielded from the mass buying panic either so I know pricing as of right now will reflect that, but I'm fine at waiting things out until the prices come back down. The Rugers are stainless but I'd be fine with simple parkerizing as well.

Oh, and one last thing. Usually not an issue with me, but for this there is a strong preference for American made. Not a deal breaker but certainly a consideration.

Thanks guys.:)
You can find something nice on used market for a lot less then one might expect. Latest sample was little used stainless .45 from Covina California. The name was 'Hardboiled', "Hardball" or something similar and tag was very attractive $450. That is not a lot more then parkerized carbon steel gun imported form country that has lower standard of living then ours.

Nuclearmike
March 7, 2013, 09:35 AM
I got a SW1911 E-series at the top end of the OP price range about 6 months ago. Base model, no rail, etc. It is a great piece for the money. Fit and finish is very nice. Has run well with everything I have put in the magazine. I think S&W really got their act together on the E-series.

bds
March 7, 2013, 09:43 AM
You can find something nice on used market for a lot less then one might expect. Latest sample was little used stainless .45 from Covina California. The name was 'Hardboiled', "Hardball" or something similar and tag was very attractive $450.
You mean AMT Hardballer? The company was located in Irwindale, CA but now bankrupt (bye bye AutoMag).

PabloJ
March 7, 2013, 02:02 PM
You mean AMT Hardballer? The company was located in Irwindale, CA but now bankrupt (bye bye AutoMag).
I think it was marked 'Hardballer' on the slide and there was Covina California on the frame. It had same finish as the CA 'Backup' guns except it was 1911 chambered for .45ACP cartridge. It was very well made and well worth $450. Just look at prices of new stuff...... nearest competitor would be a Ruger 1911 at over $700. I didn't do the paperwork because I do not need another pistol.

Auto426
March 7, 2013, 05:02 PM
I'd stay far away from any old AMT 1911's.

otasan56
March 8, 2013, 10:08 AM
Agreed!

If you enjoyed reading about "What's a good 1911 in the $700-$800 range?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!