870 buttstock cleaning kit

PDA

Inebriated
February 26, 2013, 10:45 PM
So last night, I was taking inventory of my 870 parts that didn't have a gun, and I came across my Mesa Urbino stock. I remembered that I had wanted to build a little buttstock kit for a while, since I use an 870 as a truck/camping/survival gun. Turns out the Mesa makes a GREAT stock for this, because the buttplate snaps on and off, and there's a good amount of room inside. Obviously the tools to disassemble and some lube are essential, but I've also got a boresnake because it adds nearly no weight, and helps everything else fit snugly...

I've got pics if anyone's interested, but it's pretty straightforward. Gave it a test run today, and while somewhat crude, it did the job just fine. Just thought I'd through this out there.

If you enjoyed reading about "870 buttstock cleaning kit" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
tiamat
March 1, 2013, 03:14 PM
sure, post up some pics!

How do you like that Mesa Urbino anyway? I thought about one, but ended up going the Hogue overmold route instead.

Inebriated
March 1, 2013, 05:33 PM
The Urbino is great. LOP is perfect, the grip is comfortable, and the stock is very well-made. I still prefer traditional stocks, but the Urbino is really a great stock. Biggest downside is the buttplate feels a bit flimsy, so I don't really take it on and off too much.
http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb201/Name890/Stock3_zpsa37078d0.jpg
http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb201/Name890/stock1_zps6a99e70d.jpg

Yes... that's a pen body filled with Frog Lube... Actually works really well. Also have a dime to unscrew the magazine clamp, allen wrenches necessary to take the side saddle off, factory pins, two sear springs, and a carrier dog follower spring.

rcmodel
March 1, 2013, 05:47 PM
Can you get a real jointed cleaning rod in it?

A Bore-Snake will do you no good in the field at all if you stick the muzzle in the mud and have to punch it out with a rod.

rc

Inebriated
March 1, 2013, 06:05 PM
No, I couldn't get one to fit. I mean I could likely modify one, but I just threw in what I had and what fit.

rcmodel
March 1, 2013, 10:57 PM
Well, maybe an Otis flex-shaft rod then??

Anything is better then a bore-snake if you can knock out a stuck shell or mud dauber nest with it.

rc

Inebriated
March 1, 2013, 11:14 PM
I've never handled one of their flex-shaft rods... Do they get rigid when straightened-out?

rcmodel
March 2, 2013, 01:20 PM
No, they are still flexible, but they don't get shorter when you push on them like a string.
Or a bore-snake.

They would easily punch out a mud plugged bore.

rc

Inebriated
March 2, 2013, 05:13 PM
Ok, I gotcha.

Might pick one up. I always see them at the LGS for pretty cheap.

If you enjoyed reading about "870 buttstock cleaning kit" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!