Spare parts kit for the Makarov?

PDA

mick53
February 27, 2013, 08:49 PM
Hi,

What do you folks think are the essential elements to have in a Makarov spare parts/repair kit?

I'm down to one Mak now and have another coming in soon. There's nothing wrong with the one I have and I'm sure there's nothing wrong with the one that's coming in.

As a Mak owner I know they are built like tanks so this is more a "curiosity" based question than a "need" question. But I wouldn't mind having a few "just in case" parts hanging around.

I suppose another way of asking this is, which of the 27 parts of the Mak (I can never get over that - only 27 parts!) most often need replacing?

Thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "Spare parts kit for the Makarov?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
M2 Carbine
February 27, 2013, 09:16 PM
If the guns are in good condition about the only thing I'd do is replace the factory 17 LB recoil spring with a Wolff 19 LB or 21 LB.
I favor the 21, even in the .380. Only thing, the slide is harder to pull back with the 21 LB spring.

Personally I have 17 Makarovs. The only thing I have had to replace is a hammer and sear. One of my Bulgarian guns has had a LOT of use. It's not beat up but my guess is it was a "range gun" and was shot a LOT.

There was a web site called www.makarov.com. You could get everything Makarov from them. I even got a Bulgarian Makarov 22 conversion. Too bad they shut down.

Anyhow, to answer your question, if you can find them at a decent price it wouldn't hurt to get a hammer, sear, thumb safety, springs, etc, although I doubt you will ever need any spare part.

mick53
February 27, 2013, 09:33 PM
I have seen mentioned in other places that the most often replaced Makarov part is the slide stop.

Anyone know if this is true?

One guy said this may be due to the fact that virtually all Maks are used pistols and some former user/owners use the "slide stop" as a "slide release."

He said pushing down on the slide stop to release the locked slide causes premature wear on it.

He says, and this is how I was taught, the correct way to release the slide is to pull back on it and let it snap forward on its own.

Makes sense to me.

What do you guys think?

Hurryin' Hoosier
February 27, 2013, 10:09 PM
I'd get the 19 pound Wolff recoil spring, a sear (with spring), a slide stop/ejector, and - possibly - a "trigger/hammer-spring/magazine-release". www.makarov.com, by the way, is now an information-only site, but you can get everything from Numrich.

I have my doubts as to whether anything is going to wear out - certainly not break - in the course of average use, but they are "surplus" guns, and spare parts are not all that expensive.

Take care, and enjoy the Pistolet Makarovas, tovarisch Mickey! ;)

mick53
February 28, 2013, 08:23 PM
I have seen mentioned in other places that the most often replaced Makarov part is the slide stop.

Anyone know if this is true?

Hmmm, maybe the slide stop isn't the most vulnerable part.

If you enjoyed reading about "Spare parts kit for the Makarov?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!