syrian rebels

PDA

Mp7
February 28, 2013, 09:54 AM
building catapults ... and other stuff,
to stay in the game ....

Impressive. I wish they had oil, so anyone would help them.

http://www.theatlantic.com/infocus/2013/02/diy-weapons-of-the-syrian-rebels/100461/

If you enjoyed reading about "syrian rebels" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
JShirley
February 28, 2013, 10:25 AM
If we support their cause, then the "mortar rounds" made me sad. The maker machined in dimples instead of gas vents at the base. A lot of extra work to make what is now a purely cosmetic feature.

There's a lot of inventiveness shown here. But there will always be battle as long as there are people to fight...

CWL
February 28, 2013, 02:52 PM
Desperation creates innovation.

I am greatly impressed/amused with the armored vehicle that is piloted entirely with the use of cameras and Playstation-type controllers.

danez71
March 1, 2013, 09:20 PM
Desperation creates innovation.

Necessity is the mother of invention.

- Plato

splattergun
March 1, 2013, 09:49 PM
This is a startlingly clear example of the universal unalienable right to defend oneself from tyranny. They can outlaw weapons all they want, but the unjust laws eventually become irrelevant as the right which all humanity is born with still exists, and will be exercised as needed with whatever ingenuity is required.

MutinousDoug
March 1, 2013, 09:51 PM
Oh Yeah,

I'd be happy to support them if I didn't think they were influenced by Islamist, racist, anti-American, anti-realist, death-cult, ignorance worshiping scumbags.
YMMV

Texan Scott
March 1, 2013, 09:55 PM
That's some skill and determination right there. A Syrian A-team. The "Aleph" team.

Still, I'm not a big fan of giving guns to third world "freedom fighters"... it so often turns out badly in the long run.

rcmodel
March 1, 2013, 10:02 PM
How about them Mexican air cannons though!

http://www.cnn.com/2013/02/28/us/border-smugglers-cannon/index.html

That wasn't just a bump in the night you thought heard!

rc

Trent
March 1, 2013, 10:03 PM
I tell you what, there's some really interesting things to learn from their struggle.

Like... they use DShK's in drive-by's! :what::what:

http://i.imgur.com/C8k5QJI.jpg

MutinousDoug
March 1, 2013, 10:09 PM
We have city sponsored pumpkin launching contests here in Colorado in the fall including air cannons and catapults.
I'm now beginning to think I know where the sport may have originated.

Texan Scott
March 1, 2013, 11:23 PM
The use of catapults to launch Completely Silly Things originated in medieval Monty Python times, where these fearsome siege engines were instrumental in storming the fortifications of verbally abusive Frenchmen.

Warehouse those punkinpults... they may soon be the heavy artillery and last, best hope of the Colorado freedom fighters in their struggle against the dark forces of the Empire.

Trent
March 2, 2013, 02:04 AM
Wonder what model rocket motors they are using. Can I buy those at Wally World??? ;)

bigfatdave
March 2, 2013, 02:23 AM
Picture#9 is a trebuchet, such technology is NEVER obsolete!
Do you think the guys in picture #25&26 measured the barrel of that shotgun seven times to make sure it was over 18"?

Discussing their cause and the relative merits of various middle-east is probably off-topic.

I find their innovation fascinating - keep in mind that they're probably keeping the really good stuff out of view of the random reporters' cameras, for OPSEC reasons. This is the tip of the iceberg. (that's my entry in the "least applicable analogy of 2013" category)

lemaymiami
March 2, 2013, 09:08 AM
A few thoughts.... first, don't be surprised at anything folks use to kill each other with - it's in our genes.

second, no I don't want us furnishing arms to folks who will then go on to use them against anyone they disagree with (what happened in Afghanistan in the eighties is a very good bad example....).

third, no, I don't want to spend any time in Syria (Vietnam cured me of any illusions about just how bad things can get - and I wasn't even a combat trooper....).

Lastly, wish there was some way to help the good guys (and be certain that's who we were actually helping....).

Deus Machina
March 12, 2013, 08:03 AM
This stuff ranges from interesting to downright impressive.

However much I support people that fight against tyranny, I'm overlooking guns and ammunition and starting a campaign to send them nicotine gum. Some of these guys really need to stop smoking. :eek:

BHP FAN
March 12, 2013, 02:40 PM
I don't like anti-semites in general, and don't much care who wins, because who-ever it is won't be on our side [we're the Great Satan, remember?] but I do admire the skill with which they improvise, adapt, and overcome....and lung cancer thirty years down the road is probably not a real high priority for them, just now.

Sam Cade
March 12, 2013, 03:44 PM
The maker machined in dimples instead of gas vents at the base.

He is also wearing a scarf while using the machine.... :uhoh:

He might not survive the conflict

Deus Machina
March 12, 2013, 08:29 PM
and lung cancer thirty years down the road is probably not a real high priority for them, just now.

I'm not so much worried about lung cancer--I'm an occasional smoker, myself--I'm worried that they're smoking while assembling mortars.

Aikibiker
March 12, 2013, 08:36 PM
The syrian rebels are linked with and in some cases actually are Al Qaeda members. Wath their videos and in many of them you will see the AQ flag in the corner of the screen.

The Syrian governemnt is in bed with Iran.

Both sides used to shoot at us in Iraq. I have no love for either side and hope the war goes on for many years.

crazyjennyblack
March 13, 2013, 01:16 AM
Interesting, very interesting. Lots of times these various groups of rebels seem like Middle Eastern rednecks. I'd love to see what they can do with duct tape....

I'm not really sure what to think about the war though. As a woman, I doubt I'd really want to live in Syria, or much of the Middle East for that matter. :scrutiny: I like being able to drive, work, go to school, and not be in an arranged marriage...

BemidjiDweller
March 13, 2013, 02:34 AM
Looks like that AK in picture 23 has an attached swing bayonet. I've never seen one of those on an AK before.

Trent
March 13, 2013, 02:45 AM
Looks like that AK in picture 23 has an attached swing bayonet. I've never seen one of those on an AK before.

Chinese Type 56, if I'm not mistaken.

Mp7
March 13, 2013, 05:47 AM
The syrian rebels are linked with and in some cases actually are Al Qaeda members. Wath their videos and in many of them you will see the AQ flag in the corner of the screen.

The Syrian governemnt is in bed with Iran.

Both sides used to shoot at us in Iraq. I have no love for either side and hope the war goes on for many years.

You Sir are probably getting your intellectual insight from Fox News.

As narrowminded and underinformed as the Taliban.

Aikibiker
March 13, 2013, 11:22 AM
Mp7,

Didn't you read my post? Watch the videos the Syrian rebels put out. They digitally add the al qaeda flag in the corner when they are not actually carrying one in their hands.

Syria's ties to Iran an Iran's supplying of weapons and even Quds force fighters to shi'ite insurgents in Iraq is well known.

Here is a perfect example of what I am talking about:
*****Warning this is video is ugly, read the description below before you click on it*****

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=0e6_1362908524

This is a free syrian Army video with their shield, eagles, and AK's symbol in the corner. They are beheading civilians that supported the regime. At 6:44 one of the FSA starts waving an Alqaeda flag. This particular AQ flag is white and black instead of the black and red battle flag, but it has the same lettering and round circle in the center.

Videos like this are all over youtube and liveleak.

Mp7
March 13, 2013, 01:11 PM
The US and NATO did not do their job in Libya. Those guys came to Syria. And Turks, too. And they are a minority.

The fact that there are videos of gruesome deeds does not give your generalisation any backing. Them being broadcasted by Assad-TV does not make it better.

The whole complex is way bigger than you seem to want to know.
This really makes me angry. And sad.

I know syrian people.
I know the structure of their society.

.... and will stop here .... to explain.

Certaindeaf
March 13, 2013, 02:01 PM
Maybe they should grow half a braincell and join up with the other side and whammy from within, much like is being done to our guys yonder. I don't really care one way or another.

Fred Fuller
March 13, 2013, 04:26 PM
'm not so much worried about lung cancer--I'm an occasional smoker, myself--I'm worried that they're smoking while assembling mortars

Not familiar with the attitude of inshallah, I take it...

Deus Machina
March 13, 2013, 08:16 PM
Not familiar with the attitude of inshallah, I take it...

Oh, I understand it, in the general sense. But when I'm driving to work I may hope I get there on time, but I still hold onto the wheel.

Zoogster
March 15, 2013, 09:50 PM
Pretty interesting.

I thought what looked like an aircraft rocket pod mounted on pickup was pretty interesting. Even though it was one of the lessinnovative examples.
And the homemade rocket or missile launcher in another pickup dubbed an anti aircraft device.

The rockets, mortars, and missiles they are making are pretty good too.
Such things are really not that complex, and actually simplier than making something like an autoloading firearm.
Homemade missiles and similar things can also be made at a tiny fraction of the cost government contractors (with high quality control I might add) sell them to the military for.
The guidance systems are what differentiates mediocre from good and I can't tell much about thier homemade guidance systems from these pictures.

All of the electronics in use have me interested in another weapon I don't see examples of.
The various EMP bombs. Or the flux compression generator bombs that creates an EMP burst that damages nearby electronics. They should be simple enough that innovative people could manufacture them.
I would want such things handy myself on either side, break unshielded electronics, night vision, portable computers, phones, radios, vehicles, and other circuitry.

Zoogster
March 15, 2013, 10:14 PM
aikibiker said:

While I don't support any such group, and am happy being a US citizen, if I had been born over there and lived there I might feel differently.
The US is the strong arm of the global financial and national system. The middle east is kept divided and conquered in many different ways.
By being world police no small weak nation is allowed to expand and get big enough to actually pose a financial, cultural, economic, or military threat over there.

The premise of many groups like Al Qaeda is to essentially create an Islamic United States, large enough to be a world power unlike the current puny little divided states. A lot of the middle east was actually united prior to WW1 in the Ottoman Empire and there was some previous long lasting empires. When the turks were defeated as the bad guys after WW1 it was seriously fragmented and has been more or less kept divided and conquered since then as oil has been important since around that time.
It is also why they attack certain targets. Like in 9/11 they didn't just pick the world trade center because it is some big buildings with lots of targets. It was home to many of the powerful financial elements that control the world, and as a result often manipulate the middle east to the benefit of others.
Thier other targets were military targets.

The US is seen as implementing the global financial system, backing those that stand in the way like for example the Saudi Royal family, the Shah, previously Saddam (while he behaved), and pretty much anyone that will help keep the status quo. Even though it is much more complicated that just the US, the US is the most visible active element.
Without even going into Israel.

They really will never amount to anything as a result of such foreign policy. The individual nations are too small. And so thier global influence is reduced as long as places like the United States play world police and don't let any grow or control more resources.

That is not to say I want to see such a thing. If they were a united middle east they would have a lot more economic and cultural influence in the world. Things like Sharia law would also be much more legitimized at a global level as a result of thier increased world power as a unified super power. And so its prevalence would spread.
(And if you think gas is expensive now...)
I think the US being a primary influential force in the world is one of the best situations, lesser of the evils so to speak, even If I lived elsewhere. At least the US pays lip service to things like human rights, real rights, liberty, etc
In the future when a place like China is the most influential visible element I think the world will long for the days of the US being on top.
However that is going too far in another direction.

But if you were middle eastern, educated, and Islamic, and not a benefactor of the current situation like the Saudi Royal family. Well then it would be almost foolish not to see the the US and others as bad guys.
Of course your typical soldier fighting on behalf of the government knows little about such things. They are generally good men, who believe what is typically fed to them to keep morale high and believe in the work they do. They want to believe all the sacrifice, the long times away from family, the lives lost, the serious injuries, are all worth it. So are not too hard to convince on average.
However if you can try to put yourself into the mindset of the enemy. You can understand better.
Such things are not covered in the media though becase they don't want to increase any sympathizers or support for the enemy.
They are the evil terrorists and we are the good guys fighting for freedom.
But the reality is more complex.

If they were not kept divided and conquered the world would be a worse place from our perspective, but things are a bit more complex than they bad we good.
It is being a bit naive to be against oppression at home, and yet not see the contradiction abroad. In some cases it may ultimately be justified, but it is a more complicated issue than publicly addressed. We are seen as what the red coats used to be to many around the world. And I am sure glad we kicked the red coats' butts.
Even though they had better forces, more experience, were the most powerful on earth at the time. With our conventional forces, insurgency, and some luck they didn't just come reconquer as later when things relaxed in Europe (like they almost did in 1812.) Combined with great men like George Washington that even with a nation ready to king him and make it all little different than what typically happens, stayed true and removed himself from power and supported liberty.

Aikibiker
March 16, 2013, 12:56 AM
I spent several years actually living and working in an islamic country with people from all over the muslim world as well as other countries before I went to Iraq.

Let me say categorically that it is a VERY good thing for civilization that the middle eastern culture is kept weak and fragmented. Fortunately they will never unite unless one group/tribe (note I am not saying nation there is a big difference in the ME) conquers the rest. If that ever happens this world is in for a lot more misery.

Trent
March 16, 2013, 09:34 AM
All of the electronics in use have me interested in another weapon I don't see examples of.
The various EMP bombs. Or the flux compression generator bombs that creates an EMP burst that damages nearby electronics. They should be simple enough that innovative people could manufacture them.
I would want such things handy myself on either side, break unshielded electronics, night vision, portable computers, phones, radios, vehicles, and other circuitry.

Back in the 90's I knew (via a friend) of a ham radio guy who was kind of a tinkerer. He somehow managed to run across an improperly surplussed radar jammer from an F105 wild weasel and (with great effort and custom voltage regulators) mounted it in the trunk of his car to hose up State Police radar. It was high maintenance, trying to keep it in tune.

Eventually police switched to LIDAR and developed electronics to detect people using active radar jammers.

Which is the problem - in THIS day and age, electronics are so flipping advanced, you just can't stay ahead of the curve.

Better to go back to the basics, and "if the electronics offend you, blow them up."

I kind of laugh at these new automated war vehicles that the government is tinkering with. One careful shot at the exposed cameras, laser rangefinders, or antenna array and you blind the dang things.

River Wraith
March 17, 2013, 01:42 AM
Neither side has any love for us. They can all kill each other off as far as I'm concerned.:rolleyes:

If you enjoyed reading about "syrian rebels" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!