shooting insight

PDA

bigjim
February 2, 2003, 09:13 PM
Today at the range I was shooting my TRP operator. I had a M3 light hung from it. I was shooting rounds I had loaded to duplicate the recoil impluse from a 230 grn Federal hydrashock.

Suddenly out of the blue I understood It was just a hobby, and I was making a complete *** out of myself.

Shooting is fun. No other reason is needed. Many of us ignore the fact that we will never fire a shot in anger. We train and engage in what for many becomes an obsession.

There is almost no chance I will ever use my guns to fend off a intruder or a attack.

Why isn't the fact that shooting is fun enough? Why do we need to work so hard to make it ok? Why do the Anti-gunners force us to take such extreme stands on issues the facts and history say we really have no stake in?

If you enjoyed reading about "shooting insight" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Chris Rhines
February 2, 2003, 09:25 PM
?

Shooting is fun, no doubt about that. And that is enough.

But shooting is also a practical skill in a way that golf and ping-pong never can be. It's about self-reliance, independence, and the preservation of life. These things are also fun.

I'm not sure how training to come out on top in a fight makes one an ***. True, the chances of having to defend ones self with a gun are pretty slim. That's no reason to stick your head in the sand and pretend the world is safe.

As for the antis, forget them! Why should their ignorant, misinformed opinions make any difference to what I do or why I do it? Like I said, I'm into guns because they're fun, and because shooting is a useful skill. If some grass-eater doesn't like that, they're free to depart my company at their earliest convienence.

- Chris

10-Ring
February 2, 2003, 09:34 PM
Yes, shooting is first & foremost FUN! However, marksmanship and its application is more than fun and requires a more serious mindset in order to become better at it.
If it were just for fun, it would be darts!

BerettaNut92
February 2, 2003, 09:54 PM
If it were just for fun, it would be darts!

Not like our IDPA club! Now there's some folks who take self-defense seriously!!!!

Some times I just need to stand back and do some really untactical things at a match to remind myself it's just a game....

Art Eatman
February 2, 2003, 09:56 PM
I've never had a house burn down, nor been sued, nor had a major car wreck.

Never been in an actual gunfight, either.

Howsomever, there's more than one sort of insurance against a Truly Bad Day.

Art

Beav
February 2, 2003, 10:05 PM
Yes, very much a hobby for me as well. I strive to be a better shooter just for the sake of being a better shooter and collecting is fun too :)

BerettaNut92
February 2, 2003, 10:12 PM
I think I need to take it easy. After a crappy range session I can get really down on myself.

Sometimes ya hit that plateau and get discouraged.

sanchezero
February 2, 2003, 10:37 PM
Some times I just need to stand back and do some really untactical things at a match to remind myself it's just a game....

Yeah, headshots on all hostages!!!

:evil:

BerettaNut92
February 2, 2003, 10:40 PM
Yeah, headshots on all hostages!!!

I do that without trying :(

Standing Wolf
February 2, 2003, 11:02 PM
For me, the joy of shooting has always been the challenge of shooting well, or at least, trying.

I shot pool all the way through college, and enjoyed it as an accuracy and elegance challenge; as soon as I started taking aim at targets, however, pool lost its charm: shooting is much more difficult to do well.

Sven
February 2, 2003, 11:22 PM
It's a discipline... being able to control an explosion in your hands, without flinching. Mental and physical discipline is required to be able to pull this off, and lots of practice.

Practice is fun.

-

I sort of make fun of the super tactical guys (in my own mind - of course) at the range - unless they are LEO, in which case I think it's cool - I want to see the defenders of our homeland armed with the latest and greatest.

My favorite guys, though, are the handloaders, who show up with a huge bag and basically pull up a chair. Talking to these guys (when they talk), I'm like WOAH, THIS is what happens when you stay in a sport for decades! Sweet.

Then they let me shoot their .38s with 1lb triggers, tricked out 1911s with compensators and optics.... you get the idea. Those guys are the ultimate ninjas. They have all the gear, but they are down to earth.

You'd never think, looking at that station wagon...

If you enjoyed reading about "shooting insight" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!