9x18mm Makarov as a carry/defensive round?

PDA

Col. Plink
February 28, 2013, 12:08 PM
Howdy THR,

Wondering if anyone out there has knowledge of commercial ammo for 9x18 Makaraov that makes this round an advisable defensive/carry option.

My reason for asking is I'm considering a CZ-82 as a carry weapon but don't like the idea of a 9mm, less so a shorter version of it, unless I can confirm some really good ammo options.

Thanks in advance!

If you enjoyed reading about "9x18mm Makarov as a carry/defensive round?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
g_one
February 28, 2013, 12:12 PM
I don't own anything chambered in it but Buffalo Bore does carry a pretty decent SD load that I spotted when I was at Cabela's last night. Until I saw it on the shelf I never knew there was much of a market for Makarov SD rounds. https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=233

Fryerpower
February 28, 2013, 12:12 PM
Get ready for a thousand opinions!

I carry Silver Bear JHP. Would I have more stopping power with a .40 or .45, sure, but I don't have one.

I don't feel undergunned with what I carry.

Jim

MCgunner
February 28, 2013, 12:20 PM
Get ready for a thousand opinions!

Amen to that. :D I have a little Polish Radom and carry it occasionally with Silver Bear. I prefer my 9 and my .38, but that little toot is so bloomin' accurate and points so well, I KNOW it'll get the job done with it. If I didn't have other carries, I wouldn't be that concerned using the little Radom 24/7. I mean, 9x18 is a bit hotter than the .380 everyone loves to carry, right? I know the P3AT or LCP is smaller/lighter, but it's not as powerful, almost, but not quite. What I'm sayin' is, huge numbers of folks rely on less so why not the 9x18 if you like it and can carry it and shoot it well?

jimherb
February 28, 2013, 12:22 PM
If you would not be uncomfortable carrying a .380, you will like the "Mak" round which is a tad more powerful--although less than a 9mm. There are some hot rounds out there now that can ruin a wrong-doer's day. CZ pistols are great.

February 28, 2013, 12:27 PM
I don't own anything chambered in it but Buffalo Bore does carry a pretty decent SD load that I spotted when I was at Cabela's last night. Until I saw it on the shelf I never knew there was much of a market for Makarov SD rounds. https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=233

The Buffalo Bore ammo looks like a real contender if it produces those numbers from the muzzle.

Col. Plink
February 28, 2013, 12:28 PM
Is there any concern for an older weapon (CZ-82) shooting +P 9x18mm?

dpote
February 28, 2013, 12:48 PM
Sometimes I carry a Makarov, and sometimes my wife carries her CZ-82. We use the Hornady XTP rounds. It is difficult to get Critical Defense or the Silver Bear hollow point ammo here. They feed reliably and are accurate in our firearms.
9x18 like .380 has no SAAMI +P specification.
Which is why I don't shoot Buffalo Bore in my old guns.

Dave

Fryerpower
February 28, 2013, 12:56 PM
It is difficult to get Critical Defense or the Silver Bear hollow point ammo here. They feed reliably and are accurate in our firearms.

Dave
I bought a case of Silver Bear JHP five or six years ago for something like $130 delivered, IIRC. I would love to see those prices again!

Jim

Col. Plink
February 28, 2013, 01:05 PM
Is there any concern for a weapon made before +P became available (CZ-82) to shoot +P 9x18mm?

Bmac1949
February 28, 2013, 01:25 PM
I think the history of the CZ 82 proves its' worth as a carry weapon in that it was used for many years by eastern European police forces and the military and there are so many still around proves that it is reliable. I don't normally carry a weapon on me but I go to Houston often and will carry my CZ 82 in the console of my truck and have confidence that it is a reliable and formidable weapon.

12Bravo20
February 28, 2013, 01:49 PM
The only pistol that I would NOT shoot hot +P ammo in is the Hungarian PA-63 and that is because of the aluminum frame. It isn't even recommended to shoot any standard load with anything heavier than 95Gr in the PA-63. All other pistols (steel frame) chambered in 9x18 should be fine. I own a PA-63 and it was my EDC before purchasing the smaller Kel Tec P3AT. I would not hesitate to carry a pistol in 9x18 even with standard velocity .95Gr bullets(with proper bullet selection)

Hurryin' Hoosier
February 28, 2013, 01:55 PM
Hornady XTP JHPs for carry. Russian LVE or RWS ball for the range.

PabloJ
February 28, 2013, 02:54 PM
Howdy THR,

Wondering if anyone out there has knowledge of commercial ammo for 9x18 Makaraov that makes this round an advisable defensive/carry option.

My reason for asking is I'm considering a CZ-82 as a carry weapon but don't like the idea of a 9mm, less so a shorter version of it, unless I can confirm some really good ammo options.

Thanks in advance!
Why not get firearm chambered for more manly caliber. The .40S&W comes to mind. I don't get it.

Col. Plink
February 28, 2013, 03:03 PM
Question is about the CZ-82 and the 9x18. Not .40
BTW, any caliber I carry would be a manly caliber. As would a katana, teeball bat, etc...

zxcvbob
February 28, 2013, 03:07 PM
I very seldom carry my CZ82; when I do it's loaded with Silver Bear JHP's. (AFAIK, they really don't expand much but tumble a bit.) My spare mag has 93 grain cast bullet handloads.

ssyoumans
February 28, 2013, 03:14 PM
I think the round is ok, I do often carry a 380 (LCP) in the summer, and the Mak does about 50fps faster in most cases than a 380.

I just don't like the pistol options for concealed carry that are chambered for the 9x18. All are bigger and heavier than a CM9 or LC9 with about 1/2 the power, and no where near as light and compact as a LCP or Diamondback 380. For me, and what I own, it would be sub-optimal choice, nor would I recommend it to a new gun owner. Better choices out there. If that was all I had, I could make it work.

Mr. D
February 28, 2013, 03:15 PM
PabloJ,

-Shoots/points well for OP
-Really easy to carry - 9x18 on the hip is better than a .40 in the glove box

OP, As per not liking the idea of 9mm, keep in mind that no handgun is ideal for self-defense - there are no guaranteed fight-stoppers. Of course, 10mm has a higher chance of stopping a fight than .380 does, but a large caliber that is too expensive to practice with, that is chambered by a gun you can't shoot well or is too heavy to carry all the time is more likely to be left at home than a smaller caliber. See above.

Also keep in mind that plenty of police have stopped perps with 9mm and .38 spl and plenty of grannies have stopped perps with .22.

Long story short, carry what carries and shoots well for you. FWIW, I carried a P64 stoked with HDY Critical Defense ammo for a while.

~D

gripper
February 28, 2013, 05:49 PM
I CC a Makarov or a P64 most days off duty.No worries.Silver Bear, Fiochi or PPU- they all work if you do your part.

Hurryin' Hoosier
February 28, 2013, 09:46 PM
PabloJ: "Why not get firearm chambered for more manly caliber."

As "Dear Abby" would say, "seek professional help". :rolleyes:

wgaynor
February 28, 2013, 09:53 PM
PabloJ, perhaps you need to rethink your wording on that "manly" comment. Seems as if you just insulted every person that carries something smaller than a .40.

Stringfellow
February 28, 2013, 10:08 PM
Yeah, I was kinda hoping that was an attempt at humor.

Dain Bramage
February 28, 2013, 10:12 PM
There are two schools of thought for the minor calibers. I'm on the FMJ side. I carry a P64 occassionally, as well as a CZ82 as a car gun.

I shoot what I carry. I've shot thousands of rounds of Brown Bear, LVE, Barnaul. Never had a misfire. They all shoot accurate, penetrate deep.

Oh, and Pablo buddy. Can you recommend some panty-hose in extra-burley size? I can't find any for my 6'-3" frame.

Just some friendly ribbing. Everyone has an opinion, and you have a right to yours. If I would find any fault with it, it's not about liking big-bores, but rather one-size-fits-all solutions.

hAkron
February 28, 2013, 10:22 PM
Prior to the 9mmM, people behind the iron curtain were defending themselves with 7.62 and 7.65 for a lot of years.

OptimusPrime
February 28, 2013, 10:30 PM
In Soviet Russia, the 9mm Mak is manly enough for even our women to carry.

Frankl03
February 28, 2013, 10:47 PM
CZ-82 is my edc, loaded with Silver Bear hps. Snappy shooter!

winchester1886
March 1, 2013, 12:18 AM
I only use Hornady Critical Defense ammo in my Makarov and also my CZ 82.I don't feel under gunned shot placement is the key.

PabloJ
March 1, 2013, 01:31 AM
PabloJ, perhaps you need to rethink your wording on that "manly" comment. Seems as if you just insulted every person that carries something smaller than a .40.
I have S&W 940. There is absolutely nothing wrong with girly guns! Matter of fact pink Hogue Monogrip will complement stainless finish very nicely.

pockets
March 1, 2013, 11:03 AM
Hornady XTP cycles well in the three 9x18's I own; Bulgarian Makarov, PA-63, and P-64.

marklmurray
March 2, 2013, 12:02 PM
I'm thinking that Hornady XTP load is the best out there right now. I've seen a couple recent YouTube ballistic Gel tests that show good performance being replicated by this round.

I currently use a load by Georgia Arms (http://georgia-arms.com/new9mmmakarov95grgolddothollowpoint50pk.aspx) (they're local to me, but available for order), that uses the Speer Gold Dot Bullet. I haven't seen many ballistic tests with this load, but availability, and my confidence in the Speer bullet dictated my choice, here. I'll probably pick up some Hornady XTP (not critical defense) when next the time comes.

I have tried the Buffalo Bore "+P" (https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=233)load as well, but it just felt way to hot and I felt it might be overdriving the bullet design and limiting potential penetration. I have no doubts that this load would reliably expand, though.

There is also an XTP load by Underwood ammo (http://www.underwoodammo.com/9x18mm9mmMakarov95GrainXTPJacketedHollowPointBoxof50.aspx) that they market as "+P". I have seen some Gel test on this one as well, that seem to also indicate that the increased velocity results in great expansion, but decreased penetration.

If you enjoyed reading about "9x18mm Makarov as a carry/defensive round?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!