Tumblers - How to Keep the Dust Down

PDA

TenDriver
February 28, 2013, 08:41 PM
Just got some corn cob media and tumbled some cartridges. They will definitely need a bath. How do y'all keep the dust down?

If you enjoyed reading about "Tumblers - How to Keep the Dust Down" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
readyeddy
February 28, 2013, 08:44 PM
Throw in a wet paper towel torn into fourths. Picks up a lot of dust.

PlaneJain
February 28, 2013, 08:45 PM
Toss a 'Bounce' dryer sheet in there

billybob44
February 28, 2013, 08:46 PM
:DDryer sheet cut in two or three works well for me..Bill

Mccarty
February 28, 2013, 08:56 PM
Keep the lid on the tumbler, wipe out the tumbler after use and sometimes use the dryer sheets

Madpap
February 28, 2013, 09:02 PM
On a windy day run it outside with the lid off for awhile. It gets rid of a lot of the dust.

45lcshooter
February 28, 2013, 10:06 PM
Dryer sheets. Then once I sift and dump all media out of the cases. I put the cases in an old beach towel and move them around. That gets the little pieces of media off and with the cases bouncing around some more media comes out from the inside of the cases. example flash hole.

chris in va
February 28, 2013, 10:40 PM
A used dryer sheet. A new one is coated in a waxy substance (fabric softener) and doesn't work as well.

greyling22
February 28, 2013, 11:06 PM
+1 madpap. also a paper towel (damp) works well at picking dust up. I'd try dryer sheets, but nobody I know uses them. :(

TenDriver
February 28, 2013, 11:39 PM
Thanks y'all. First time I used thus tumbler and the case were very dusty. Nice and shiny once I got the dust off, but very dusty.

I gave them a quick rinse and are drying in the oven now. Preheated to 150, turned off the oven and put them in. Notices most of the flash holes are plugged though. I guess the decaping pin will take care of that.

xxhaxx
March 1, 2013, 12:07 AM
Used dryer sheets :]

greyling22
March 1, 2013, 12:55 AM
I've found corn cob media leaves almost no dust and actually makes the brass shinier. Takes longer to clean a really dirty case up through.

Huskerguy
March 1, 2013, 01:41 AM
I find the dryer sheets get filled pretty quickly. I use a disposable white rag and punch a hole in the center of it with the bolt from my Lyman tumbler. I push the white rage down so it sits on top of the tumbler. I catches a lot of dust.

1SOW
March 1, 2013, 02:00 AM
I just tumble 9mm in corncob and a little Nu-Finish. I pre-wash dirty range crud out with the garden hose, dry, deprime then tumble. NO dust .
Range crud and primers are the main source of dirt and dust. Press stays clean too.
Yes, it's the truth, even though you read it on the internet.

GLOOB
March 1, 2013, 05:53 AM
No need to dry first.

dap22
March 1, 2013, 06:14 AM
Add a cap full or two of Nu Finish car wash along with a cap full or two of mineral spirits to your media and you'll have little or no dust. And your brass will come out bright and shiny! Give the combo a minute to mix with the media before you tumble your brass.

When the turpentine smell dissipates, it's time to reapply the nu finish/spirits mix.

jcwit
March 1, 2013, 07:11 AM
Thanks y'all. First time I used thus tumbler and the case were very dusty. Nice and shiny once I got the dust off, but very dusty.

I gave them a quick rinse and are drying in the oven now. Preheated to 150, turned off the oven and put them in. Notices most of the flash holes are plugged though. I guess the decaping pin will take care of that.

And once again a tip to the noob. If you have media stuck in your cases, primer pockets, and/or your flash holes your media is to large no matter what the brand or where you purchased it from.

Solution to your problem, and it is a problem.

http://www.drillspot.com/products/521055/econoline_526040g-40_40_lbs_blast_media

Shipped right to your door in 3 days for a little less than $34.00. Enough to last a long time.

This will work and work well, unless you enjoy picking media where it doesn't belong.

Walkalong
March 1, 2013, 07:17 AM
Sprinkle a little water in it on occasion. Don't wet it, just keep it from drying out completely.

kelbro
March 1, 2013, 07:20 AM
Capful of mineral spirits in each load. No dust

45crittergitter
April 1, 2013, 05:59 PM
Lots of liquid media treatments/polishes out there.

Matt Dillon
April 1, 2013, 06:13 PM
Just don't add any cleaner/additive that contains ammoma e.g. Brasso, as it weakens the brass.

Blue68f100
April 1, 2013, 08:54 PM
If you use good quality blast media instead of pet bedding you will reduce it by 95%. Pet bedding is the scrap that is left over after all good usable material is used.

gamestalker
April 1, 2013, 08:59 PM
I either use a dry sheet or a shredded cotton ball. I actually prefer the cotton ball, it really picks up the dust.

GS

plodder
April 1, 2013, 09:32 PM
Tumblers - How to Keep the Dust Down
Uh....use a wet media/stainless steel pin tumbler???

rcmodel
April 1, 2013, 10:21 PM
Uh?

Keep the lid on when you run it.

And use a shop-vac hose nearby when you pour it out into the media separator.

Quit honestly?

I made my first rotary tumbler in 1970 or so.

Since then I have owned various vibratory tumblers until the motors burned out.

Never in those 40+ years has dust been a problem for me.

I use tumbler polish added to the media, and it adds enough liquid to hold down any fluffy dust problems clouding up the basement when I take the lid off.

I think you must be using very dry corncob media, and never adding a small dash of liquid polish each load.

I use mostly dustless Walnut for cleaning, and almost dustless treated corn cob for 'knock you blind bling' jewelery level polishing, if necessary.

Walnut cleans.
Corncob polishes.

As for wet media??

The reason I built my first dry tumbler was to prevent having to dry wet cases before I could do anything else with them for a day or so!

rc

GLOOB
April 2, 2013, 01:03 AM
I've tried drier sheets, paper towels, gun patches, and cotton balls. Usually wetted with some water.

I've even tried using strips of leather. I'd pull 'em out, rinse them, and drop them back in. This was tedious, but I kept up with it for many loads, because it worked.

Now I put nothing in there but Nu finish and a squirt of min spirits, and my brass is cleaner and more dust-free than ever.

I pre-rinse brass in water before putting it in the tumbler, and tumble it damp/wet. If/when the media ever gets dirty/dusty, I rinse it out with water, squeeze it out and sun dry it. This also decreased my tumbling time from 2-4 hours to 45 minutes.

Before, my fingertips would be black after loading 100 rounds. Now, my gloves stay noticeably cleaner.

Hondo 60
April 2, 2013, 11:09 AM
gamestalker said:I either use a dry sheet or a shredded cotton ball. I actually prefer the cotton ball, it really picks up the dust.

Hmmm a cotton ball, never thought or heard of that.
But I can see how that would work.

Nice tip.

If you enjoyed reading about "Tumblers - How to Keep the Dust Down" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!