Holes in the Bolt body

PDA

elktrout
March 1, 2013, 12:02 AM
Weatherby has 3 holes in the bolt body. I believe some others also have vent hole(s) in the bolt body. Does any one have any actual experiences with these holes allowing dirt and moisture to enter the bolt to such an extent that the firing pin would not detonate the primer?

It seems that such a problem should have arisen, given that many of us are forced to hunt in lousy weather or not hunt at all.

Your experiences or knowledge?

If you enjoyed reading about "Holes in the Bolt body" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Geno
March 1, 2013, 08:31 AM
None of my Weatherby rifles ever experienced such a failure. But then, I am extremely meticulous in my cleaning. I also carry Q-Tips with me, and a cleaning kit. If I note my rifle getting filthy, I stop and clean.

Geno

taliv
March 1, 2013, 10:08 AM
i'm not familiar with weatherby or the holes in question, but keep in mind some of the holes you may find in actions are to vent gas away from the shooter in the event of a kaboom

Strongbad
March 1, 2013, 11:54 PM
I've been abusing my Mark V for 14 years and have never disassembled the bolt. If it gets too dirty it gets hosed down with gun scrubber and then get a wipe down with oil. I've never had any issues or problems of any kind.

adelbridge
March 2, 2013, 12:28 AM
If you blow a primer you will be thankful for them.

jim243
March 2, 2013, 12:50 AM
Never a problem with any of the Savages I own, they all have vent holes in the bolts. It is there in case a case ruptures and the gasses come back at the bolt face. The vents are to direct the gasses away from the shooter's face and off to the side.

Never had any problems with the vents getting cloged, just don't drop your rifle into a stream while crossing it. Or at least clear the water out of your barrel before shooting.

Jim

If you enjoyed reading about "Holes in the Bolt body" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!