Thinking about getting a Garand

PDA

Paper_Zombie
March 1, 2013, 12:58 AM
I've got a couple choices, all from one LGS. Two are European, one American...and I'm really not sure that makes a difference.

They range from $1100 to $1400...so not a huge difference.

I basically plan on "borrowing" a 30-06 round and doing an on-the-spot bullet test, but other than that...I can't think of much else to look for.

Any advice?

If you enjoyed reading about "Thinking about getting a Garand" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Welding Rod
March 1, 2013, 01:09 AM
Let me be the first to say "buy it from the CMP".

That out of the way, look for slop in the op-rod to receiver fit, a poorly clocked barrel, worn serrations on the receiver ear for the rear sight elevation pinion, and slop in the receiver to stock fit. Then the normal stuff... safety movement, creep in the trigger, buggered screws, and so on.

joeschmoe
March 1, 2013, 04:00 AM
Why would anyone buy a Garand NOT from the CMP? I don't get it.
They will mail it directly to your house! Better gun, less money, 100% USGI, no hassle guarantee, mailed to your door from the Civilian Marksmanship Program. Best deal on ammo too.

www.odcmp.com/sales.htm

Sport45
March 1, 2013, 04:28 AM
Yeah, CMP all the way!

Besides, the LGS may not be very comfortable with you playing around with one of their rifles and a live round.

az_imuth
March 1, 2013, 05:32 AM
I basically plan on "borrowing" a 30-06 round and doing an on-the-spot bullet test, but other than that...I can't think of much else to look for.

Actually, there are many things to look for when buying a Garand. Such as worn barrels and other parts, welded receivers, gunsmithing by Bubba, etc. This is the main reason I feel much more comfortable buying from CMP. If there is ever a problem then they will bend over backwards to work it out to your satisfaction. Now, on the other hand, if you are VERY familiar with the workings of the Garand and can spot some of those problems before making a purchase then you can sometimes find a great deal out there. But, being a novice, I would head straight to CMP's website and download their form. You'll probably save money and you'll be able to take comfort in the fact that you got exactly what you paid for, or more.

Reloadron
March 1, 2013, 05:58 AM
For anyone considering purchasing an M1 Garand rifle The CMP Sales Program (http://www.odcmp.com/Sales/m1garand.htm) is without a doubt the best route to take in purchasing a M1 Garand rifle. However, I suggest the decision be made quickly as the stock of existing rifles is diminishing, check out the link.

When you buy a M1 Garand from the CMP and take it to the range there can always be a problem, things can go wrong. When you do an about face on the range with a problematic rifle the people standing behind you and your rifle are the same people who sold it to you. Give this link a read as it is a great story (http://www.memorableplaces.com/m1garand/cmpprogram6.html) that clearly shows CMP support.

That said and away from the CMP there are any number of problems that can exist with a M1 Garand rifle. Take a good look at the IPB (Illustrated Parts Breakdown) or an actual disassembled rifle up close and personal. No shortage of moving parts in there and any one of which can cause you problems.

The Bullet Test
http://www.bearblain.com/images/Bullet%20Test.png

The bullet test as seen in a variation above is not really a definitive test for ME (Muzzle Erosion) as it really depends on the true bullet diameter. It will afford a rough idea and that is as good as it gets.

Other parts like the barrel TE (Throat Erosion) are important also as well as a long list of other measurement parameters. Any one of which can cause reduced accuracy or malfunction of the rifle.

While there is nothing wrong with buying a M1 Garand from a LGS, pawn shop or seller at a gun show the buyer needs to know what to look for and the list is long. Will the seller be there for you if there is a problem? Will the LGS put in writing they will refund your money if there is a problem? Replacing an operating rod with a worn piston or bend is an expensive proposition as is replacing an out of specification gas tube.

Many times I have seen the less than savvy M1 Garand buyer field strip their new rifle to find rust and pitting below the wood lines. Loose rear sights or worn rear sights are another problem as well as gas system issues and worn parts in the trigger group. A Google of "M1 Garand Buyers Guide" will provide a wealth of information on things to look for before buying. Be wary and walk away from any seller who won't let you field strip the rifle or field strip it for you.

Just Some Thoughts....
Ron

cfullgraf
March 1, 2013, 07:52 AM
Two are European, one American...and I'm really not sure that makes a difference.

By European, I assume your talking about Beretta or Breda. These were made after US M1 production were shut down. I believe Beretta used Winchester tooling, I do not know about Breda.

US contractors were Springfield Armory, Winchester, Harrington & Richardson (HRA) and International Harvester.

If the serial number of the domestic Garand is higher than 7 million, it is a post government production model assembled primarily from surplus parts except for the receiver itself.

If the rifles have import marks on them, they did not go through the CMP or its predecessor DCM.

If you are not familiar with M1 Garands, or do not know some one that is familiar with Garands that can go with you to look, i would get one from CMP as others have recommended. Generally, you cannot beat the condition of the CMP Garands for the price.

Hope this helps.

kBob
March 1, 2013, 08:03 AM
I guess it depends on what grade of M-1 Rifle you get from CMP as to the USGI-ness of it.

Mine had a stock of some weird european wood I believe with no cartouches at all and the edges of the pistol grip cap area gnawed off and no matching wood up front, Beretta bands (and other parts that seemed "odd"), and a Danish barrel direct from CMP oh and the barrel needed recrowning because of a straight line ding from say eight oclock to ten oclock ( almost like a bayonet had been slammed edge on into the muzzle)

I think the CMP is great and the guns are a great deal, but let's not BS about all USGI parts on all CMP guns.

I traded a M-14 stock I had lying about for a USGI stock at a LGS, played with some cold blue on odd colored parts, bought a better butt plate ( original was terribly worn to the point of some squares being worn off and edges gouged and rounded more than they should be and finish mostly gone). My biggest concern was looking at that ding on the crown indictes some metal was turned into the muzzle makeing me wonder how accurate the muzzle gauge could have been. I have hit the muzzle lightly with a file and very fine paper over a file and touched up the shiny muzzle with cold blue, but it still ain't "right."

I am still mostly happy with the rifle, got it some years ago (posted it here)and felt more confident with it than buying from a LGS.......having twice gotten stung with fairly well done rewelds and a just plane shot out Blue Sky Korean used gun from gun stores.

Atleat look at what the CMP has before you lay down that much cash.

-kBob

Cee Zee
March 1, 2013, 10:16 AM
I just saw a Garand in a LGS that gives me a healthy trial period on any guns I buy from them. It had nice, new furniture on it and there were no apparent problems but then again I'm not expert. I do know some experts though and I wouldn't feel a bit bad about buying that rifle and taking it to an unbiased expert to get it checked out. It he said it was flaky I'd just take it back. CMP has a good setup for sure but I think it would be hard to beat the deal from my LGS as long as the rifle checked out. There are Garands around in lots of places that may not have been shot out over the years. But then again that's probably the only really good deal I've ever seen on a M1 in a LGS too.

Mr. D
March 1, 2013, 11:32 AM
Hey, guys, I was just looking at the CMP website. It seems that you need to provide them with proof of citizenship, membership in a CMP affiliate organization, and firearms/marksmanship activity. Now, it seems like that last one could be satisfied by a C&R license or license to carry so it might not prove to be too much of a hurdle.

I can't see how going through CMP would be simpler, though, than LGS unless by "simpler" you mean easier to be sure of a good rifle.

~D

akv3g4n
March 1, 2013, 11:43 AM
membership in a CMP affiliate organization

This has always been the hurdle for me from getting a rifle from the CMP. There aren't any around me that I have any desire to join.

Krusty783
March 1, 2013, 11:54 AM
FWIW, the CMP accepted my hunter's safety course certificate as firearms/marksmanship training.

And, the NRA is an affiliate organization.

Sent in the paperwork in 2010 and received a nice, heavy cardboard box from the UPS man not even a month later.

Nikdfish
March 1, 2013, 12:01 PM
This has always been the hurdle for me from getting a rifle from the CMP. There aren't any around me that I have any desire to join.
The Garand Collector's Association works as an affiliated org. $25 dues.

CMP says national NRA membership does not work, but most state NRA associations are OK (per CMP sales faq).

If I am a member of the NRA may I purchase firearms and ammunition from your facilities?

Membership in the NRA, at the national level, does not satisfy our requirements that customers be members of a CMP affiliated club or organization. The NRA at the national level is not an affiliate. Most of the NRA state associations have affiliated with the CMP and do satisfy the requirement.

Nick

USSR
March 1, 2013, 12:01 PM

This no hurdle. Simply send your membership money into the Garand Collectors Association http://www.thegca.org/, and that satisfies that requirement.

Don

akv3g4n
March 1, 2013, 12:38 PM
This no hurdle. Simply send your membership money into the Garand Collectors Association http://www.thegca.org/, and that satisfies that requirement.

Thanks guys. Had no idea that it could be that easy. I'm going to get on that.....

kBob
March 1, 2013, 12:48 PM
If you belong to any gun club you might do what I did......

I did the paper work to affiliate my club, planned a CMP 100 yard match and then presentedthese along with a speach about the goodies available from the CMP to the club and individuals to my club for approval. Sent it in and had fun at the match and the next year someone even more rifle oriented took over as club CMP director. We have a John Garand Match most years as we only have a 100 yard range and occassionally a pre 1946 military rifle event that uses pretty much the same rules. Unfortunately for me the current rifle committee schedules all rifle activities on Sunday and I keep Sabbath.

-kBob

cfullgraf
March 1, 2013, 01:18 PM
Thanks guys. Had no idea that it could be that easy. I'm going to get on that.....

Yes, easy-peasy.

The only down side is the wait for order processing. CMP order processing is backed up a bit now. But, part of the fun is the anticipation.

But, you could go to one of the stores and take your rifle with your. Same paper work requirement though.

BP Hunter
March 1, 2013, 01:19 PM
Oh, wow. SUddenly I want a CMP M1 rifle. :D

Arizona_Mike
March 1, 2013, 04:45 PM
Go a head and get one :) Then let us know if you choose to pronounce Garand as if in French, as is in Québécois, like John Garand's widow did, like his sons and grandchildren did, like his friends did, or like most veterins do. No matter what you choose, someone is going to tell you that you are wrong. :D

Mike

Tinpig
March 1, 2013, 07:45 PM
I got a Field Grade and a Service Grade from CMP a few years ago.
Best money I ever spent.

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc91/ccanhamjr/Guns/IMG_1886.jpg

Tinpig

Onmilo
March 1, 2013, 08:00 PM
OP
You say you have a couple of choices at local gun shop, one American and a couple European.
What do you mean by this?
Are the two 'European" rifles like say, one Danish Issued American made M1 Garand and the other rifle was say, a Yemeni issued Italian Beretta made M1 or,,,????

gralewaj
March 1, 2013, 08:52 PM
I just sent in my CMP order today! I've been thinking about this rifle for a long time and finally was able to purchase one. Service grade H&R. Should be a shooter!

26point2
March 1, 2013, 09:23 PM
Quick question: Will my DD214 work for the "Marksmanship or other Firearms Related Activity" requirement?

I sent an email to CMP 2 days ago, but never received an answer.

Thanks,
Craig

Iron Sight
March 1, 2013, 09:31 PM
Garands are fun to shoot!

Onmilo
March 1, 2013, 09:51 PM
26point2 yes it will. Still have to be a current member of an accredited shooting organization as well, i.e. State Rifle Association, Garand Collectors Association, etc.

joeschmoe
March 1, 2013, 10:03 PM
Read the FAQ on the CMP site. All these questions are answered there.

26point2
March 1, 2013, 10:07 PM
Thanks Onmilo. I'm good w/the organization. I joined GCA last week.

I've only shot the M1 once...it was back in 1988, but I remember it as an awesome experience. I still have a very steep learning curve IRT the M1, but I'm motivated.

I'm looking at the Special Grade. I'm at a good point, I have more money than time so I don't mind spending a bit more to get quality. I know...1st world problems.

Thanks again...I love this site.

Craig

bigdogpete
March 1, 2013, 10:08 PM
Off the subject of the OP. I have always wondered why a C and R would satisfy marksmanship for CMP Garand order. I did nothing for marksmanship to get my C and R.

26point2
March 1, 2013, 10:12 PM
Nice...I guess that means no one can ask a question here if there is a FAQ, on any site, anywhere.

All you had to do was not post. If I remember correctly this still is a discussion forum.

R/
Craig

bigdogpete
March 1, 2013, 10:35 PM
Nice...I guess that means no one can ask a question here if there is a FAQ, on any site, anywhere.

All you had to do was not post. If I remember correctly this still is a discussion forum.

R/
Craig
Keep asking away.

You will just love a special grade. I had several other grades but not a special. Believe me, they are nice.

Paper_Zombie
March 2, 2013, 12:37 AM
Unfortunately for the asker...I cannot remember what the other two Garands were...(I called them this morning and they were down to one)

It turned out to be a Century (yes, yes...I know)

Still, I cram-researched, got there and field-stripped it, and was lucky enough to have a guy there that knew a bit about Garands.

Most of the parts are Springfield Armory, with a Beretta barrel, and a C.A.I. cast receiver.

Not much collector value, but it should be a decent shooter, which is what I bought it for. (oh...yeah...I did buy it, lol)

I know the owners well, and if there are any major problems with its first outing, I'm confident they'll work with me on doing a fair exchange for another gun.

I've already gotten it home and detail stripped it...found out that the internals were packed with cosmo (which I consider a good thing). All the major wear points on hammer, extractor, etc. are in good condition.

I do not, unfortunately, have go-no go gauges for the gas cylinder, so I guess I'll take my chances. If I have a few FTF's, I guess I'll know what's up.

Overally, I'm happy so far...I'll report back after I actually put a few live rounds through the thing.

P.S. Oh...I do have a -single- box of 30-06 labeled "for M1 Garands", but I also bought a couple boxes of more modern ammo...should I be wary? The other ammo is a heavier grain...180-something as opposed to the 150-grain M1-specific ammo.

Speedgoat
March 2, 2013, 01:35 AM
You probably don't wanna shoot that heavy stuff in your M1. I don't remember the exact things that will happen, but my imagination can lead me to believe say your operating rod and face trying to occupy the same real estate. Surely will increase wear as well.

Reloadron
March 2, 2013, 02:01 AM
P.S. Oh...I do have a -single- box of 30-06 labeled "for M1 Garands", but I also bought a couple boxes of more modern ammo...should I be wary? The other ammo is a heavier grain...180-something as opposed to the 150-grain M1-specific ammo.

There is ammunition like this (http://www.midwayusa.com/product/953112253/federal-american-eagle-ammunition-30-06-springfield-m1-garand-150-grain-full-metal-jacket) loaded for use in the M1 Garand which is likely the box you have. The ammunition is loaded to lower pressures and develops a pressure curve safe for use in the M1 Garand.

As to the 180 grain loads I would avoid them. While match ammunition was available for the M1 Garand in a 173 grain bullet weight this ammunition was developed for use in the M1 Garand. The use of 180 grain hunting rounds can potentially develop pressures exceeding what the rifle was designed for. Read into that bad things can happen with your operating rod and gas system that can cause serious personal injury or worse. When shooting ammunition like hunting ammunition or higher pressure loads they do make the schuster gas plug (http://www.midwayusa.com/product/777146/schuster-dcm-adjustable-gas-plug-with-wrench-m1-garand-steel-parkerized) which allows bleeding off excess gas for shooting higher pressure loaded ammunition. There are other variations of the gas plug I linked to.

As to the Century Arms receivers? Many shooters have fired hundreds of rounds using them without a problem while some have had problems. These forums have several threads on the subject. Shoot the rifle with ammunition made for it and see how it functions. Throughly clean the rifle and properly lubricate it (http://www.garandgear.com/how-to-grease-your-m1-garand) before ever shooting it, especially with your mention of cosmoline.

Ron

Sport45
March 2, 2013, 03:11 AM
Off the subject of the OP. I have always wondered why a C and R would satisfy marksmanship for CMP Garand order. I did nothing for marksmanship to get my C and R.

The requirement is for "Marksmanship or other Firearms Related Activity". Holding a Fedreral Firearms License (your C&R) is clearly a firearms related activity.

P5 Guy
March 2, 2013, 03:14 PM

No that is the way to get info ASAP. At times questions get answered wrong or not in a timely fashion.
Hitting the CMP directly avoids these pratfalls. There were only 6 million M1s made from 1936 thru 1957. Lend & Lease, sold outright to other governments and lost during the wars greatly reduced the number returned to the DCM/CMP for sale as surplus, and the CMP is going to run out of serviceable rifles. We are just helping you to get a rifle by directing you to the source of the best information.
When you get your rifle be sure to post some pictures!

SaxonPig
March 2, 2013, 05:24 PM
"Why would anyone buy a Garand NOT from the CMP? I don't get it."

Perhaps I can explain...

Four years ago I ordered an M1 Carbine and a Garand from the CMP. The Carbine was fairly awful. I ordered the step down from the top grade but I would classify it as "junk" grade.

The Garand was worse. I would not have purchased either rifle had I seen them in person. After this experience I decided that spending more to buy a gun I can see in person is a good value.

Now, undoubtedly what will follow is numerous posts of photos showing gorgeous M1s with beautiful stocks that came from the CMP. Apparently the CMP only hates me. No matter, I want to see what I am getting from now on.

Fishbed77
March 2, 2013, 07:04 PM
Now, undoubtedly what will follow is numerous posts of photos showing gorgeous M1s with beautiful stocks that came from the CMP. Apparently the CMP only hates me. No matter, I want to see what I am getting from now on.

SaxonPig, Here you go. :)

My $625 Service Grade 1944 Springfield with a beautiful CMP black walnut stock. Great metal, too (see muzzle/throat readings). I could not be more pleased with the CMP:

http://i1235.photobucket.com/albums/ff427/Fishbed77/DSC_0122.jpg

http://i1235.photobucket.com/albums/ff427/Fishbed77/DSC_0120-1.jpg

http://i1235.photobucket.com/albums/ff427/Fishbed77/DSC_0050.jpg

SaxonPig
March 2, 2013, 07:26 PM
Mine looked like it was tied behind a Jeep and dragged over 20 miles of bad road.

Welding Rod
March 2, 2013, 07:56 PM
I have only bought the SGS and Special grade as the minimum criteria for them ensures a great gun, or the ability to swap it out for another if for some reason it weren't.

I had one, a Special with WWII era receiver, that had to go back and be replaced. The serial numbers were stamped so deep in the receiver that the bolt could stick in the fully reward position. No biggie - the CMP paid to pick it up and promptly send me another rifle that was excellent.

I also had some worn out small parts on Specials that had problems (mostly rear sight pinions) and the CMP sent out new condition replacements promptly at no cost.

My SGSs have been perfect, like new condition with essentially zero wear on anything. External handling marks were the only signs the guns had been touched by humans after assembly.

I do recommend the SGS over all others (including the Specials) as the metal should be "collector grade" (other than the repro stock metal) which means it will be essentially free from wear, even if it has handling marks, as opposed to containing partially worn parts that have been nicely refinished, like can be found in the Specials.

Reloadron
March 2, 2013, 08:03 PM
Here you go Saxon. The rifle on the top is definitely not a CMP rifle the rifle on the bottom I have no clue, I did not get it from the CMP. I was told it was a CMP rifle. I inspected it, I liked it, the price was right so I bought it. The upper rifle I built around '96 as my gun for a NRA M1 Garand gunsmithing class. It was picked from a lot of many for my project gun. The lower is a GI Birch stock around a 1955 or so vintage if I recall correctly. Both rifles are SA Manufacture.

When looking at a M1 Garand in a private sale the trick (if we want to call it that) is to know what you are looking at. That is why I generally begin my post on this subject with for the less than M1 Garand savvy buyer the CMP is a good way to go, however, it is not the only way to go. As the CMP stock diminishes those shopping for a M1 Garand will need a crash course on what to look for.

http://www.bearblain.com/images/Old%20and%20New.png

Ron

HKGuns
March 2, 2013, 08:41 PM
Here is my CMP Winchester with mostly Winchester parts Saxon! (The stock is H&R GI)

http://hkguns.zenfolio.com/img/s10/v16/p876475455-5.jpg

http://hkguns.zenfolio.com/img/s10/v18/p878545450-5.jpg

Morrell
March 3, 2013, 03:59 PM
Good lookin' Garands!

GBExpat
March 3, 2013, 08:03 PM

You should have taken your own advice and not posted your rude reply to his helpful suggestion.

Warp
March 3, 2013, 08:57 PM
So, I notice that all but mayebe 1 or 2 replies mention the CMP. That's good! :cool:

Have you put an order in for a Garand and a few cans of ammo yet? :D

Sport45
March 3, 2013, 09:33 PM
No, he bought the Century M1 from the shop. See post #31.

Warp
March 3, 2013, 09:36 PM
Crap. Not sure how I missed that.

I guess my question will be cut in half...have you ordered several cans of ammo from the CMP yet?

$0.55 per round shipped!

Ignition Override
March 4, 2013, 12:21 AM
A friend won about a dozen Garands as prizes in rifle matches.

He also bought a couple from the CMP and highly recommends them as The best source for an M-1.

Paper_Zombie
March 4, 2013, 02:09 AM
Got to take it out today, and am greatly relieved.

It performed like a champ. Ate up 80 rounds without a hiccup, no failures whatsover, and it's dead nuts accurate at 100 yards. In fact, the very last shot of the day blew straight through the center of the target. Couldn't have asked for a better shot to stop on.

Did a little more looking since my last post. Seems that almost all the parts are Springfield Armory, with a Beretta barrel, and of course, the Century receiver. It also came with a muzzle-brake already on it. Decided to leave it on since I wasn't sure how it would affect the gas plug if I took it off. (Let my buddy fire off a couple clips, and holy crap was that sucker loud!)

Very, very, very happy with the gun.

Now, I'm on the hunt for some decently priced ammo. (Range trip today cost waaay too much to do on a regular basis)

Reloadron
March 4, 2013, 04:00 AM
Glad it all worked out and you got a good shooter, I am sure you will enjoy it. The CMP is a good source for reasonable ammunition and start saving reloadable brass as you may find yourself rolling your own.

Ron

Sport45
March 4, 2013, 05:57 AM
I don't think he's listening to the CMP suggestions. :)

Warp
March 4, 2013, 08:34 AM
Now, I'm on the hunt for some decently priced ammo. (Range trip today cost waaay too much to do on a regular basis)

Would you mind letting us know what you end up finding/paying?

TenDriver
March 4, 2013, 09:39 AM
Muzzle brake on a Garand? Never heard of such a thing.

I know you've already fired it, thus cleaning out the cosmoline, but make sure you lube it up well. Garands love grease. Not oil. Wheel bearing grease is fine.

Now is also a decent time to start reloading for your Garand. At some point M1 friendly ammo is going to dry up, and unless you plan on spending $25 or more for those factory loads mentioned, you're going to need a source.

Paper_Zombie
March 4, 2013, 10:26 AM
I don't think he's listening to the CMP suggestions. :)
Hehe

Not to be rude, but it just seems so much hassle. I'm not that interested in joining any kinds of clubs or organizations just yet (except perhaps NRA). Then having to do the whole mail-order thing.

@ Warp

Of course. I'm kinda trying to zero in on some PP ammo though. I've shot it before in different calibers, and for 30-06 looks to be around $.50-round.

While the gun did well enough yesterday with my own impatience, I -do- have a ported gas plug on the way, which should make it a bit safer.

@ Tendriver

Yeah, I think the muzzle-break is made by a company called "Good Iron". At least, it looks just like the ones they sell. Worked great though. Recoil was almost non-existent. (I know it's a heavy gun, but still)

I did grease it up a bit before I took it out. I plan on sitting down and studying the lubrication process more thoroughly and following it to the letter for future outings.

cfullgraf
March 4, 2013, 10:49 AM

Glad you are pleased with your new Garand.

CMP is a good source for ammunition but you still need to meet the requirements as for a rifle except for the notarized form, if I remember. The Greek HXP is running about 50 cents per round.

Save your brass. Reloads, once components become available again, will cost less.

Once you get the paper work on file with CMP the first time, you are good to go. Just keep the information up to date.

P5 Guy
March 4, 2013, 07:18 PM
Not to be rude, but it just seems so much hassle. I'm not that interested in joining any kinds of clubs or organizations just yet (except perhaps NRA). Then having to do the whole mail-order thing.

The CMP wants to sell their rifles, ammo and such. Really it could not be easier the Garand Collector's Assoc. has a great news letter. with a small bit of work on the customer's part, less work than filling out a 4473, you will have a fine rifle delivered to your door. Most of the time in less than a month.
But it is your call, happy shooting.

shafter
March 4, 2013, 07:42 PM
Unfortunately for me the current rifle committee schedules all rifle activities on Sunday and I keep Sabbath.

I'm in the same boat. Most of the fun shooting events at my club are on Sunday.

Speedgoat
March 4, 2013, 10:32 PM
I joined the GCA to get my ducks in a row to order my 1st M1 Garand. Really quite effortless, $25.00 seems like a fair price, considering you get there IIRC quarterly newsletter - magazine. No Hastle at all. I just got a reply to a email confirming my hunter's safety card will satisfy their marksmanship requirment, haven't shot competitively since Trap Shooting in High School about 5 years ago, be tough to find those results bulletins! Their big meet this summer is up at Cody WY that may be a fun weekend trip to make. And being able to get a M1 from the CMP is a plus too! Now to decide if the novelty of a 4 digit receiver is worth the $800-1000 going rate on their auction site. I guess I could be throwing my money at an AR though if I do decide it's worth it!

az_imuth
March 5, 2013, 06:26 AM
It would be worth it to have your CMP paperwork in and ready to go right now. It took me forever to find an affordable International Harvester M1 (IHC), but CMP is supposed to be releasing a batch of them any day now. These are kinda scarce, so if you have any notion of getting one rifle from each manufacturer then now is your chance.
http://i498.photobucket.com/albums/rr348/az_imuth/Old%20Album/all4b800stc-1.jpg

jimmyraythomason
March 18, 2013, 03:58 PM
I don't think he's listening to the CMP suggestions.Unless you are prepared for a 2-3 month wait not much use ordering from the CMP right now. I got this e-mail notification from the CMP just this morning(18 March)"LIMITED INVENTORY AT CMP STORES
(March 2013):

"RIFLES: The CMP currently has over 12,000 unfilled orders for rifles, ammo and other items. We also still have thousands of M1 Garands. These rifles all require inspection and repair and grading before being put up for sale. At times the customer demand exceeds the amount that our staff can make ready for sale. This is the case now with the field and service grade M1 Garand rifles. As the CMP armory produces the rifles, they are all being used to fill existing mail orders, some from as far back as the beginning of January. Until we catch up on mail orders, there will not be any field or service grade rifles in the stores at Anniston or Camp Perry. For now, we only have the M1 Service Grade Special ($950), M1 CMP Special ($995), M1C, M1D, M1NM, and Kimber model .82 (.22LR) in stock at both stores. We expect this to continue until late June.

AMMO: The CMP does not have any caliber .223, .22LR, or .30 carbine ammo for sale at either store. We are sold out and expect to receive shipments of these calibers in 3-6 months. We continue to accept orders for these calibers and will fill those orders when we receive the replenishment shipments from the manufacturers. We do have caliber .30-06 ammo at both stores, but a 10 can purchase limit per year per customer applies. We also still have the Atomic caliber .308, but expect to run out in the next 60 days"

dmazur
March 18, 2013, 04:26 PM
Decided to leave it on since I wasn't sure how it would affect the gas plug if I took it off.

If it was a Smith Enterprise -

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/barrel-parts/muzzle-brakes/m1-garand-m1-muzzle-brake-prod12787.aspx

then it replaces the gas cylinder lock. The gas cylinder probably won't stay put without this part. I believe you can order a replacement gas cylinder lock from places like Fulton Armory, if you don't want to use the brake.

This is the only Garand brake I'm aware of, but there are flash hiders, etc. which are not brakes.

igotta40
March 19, 2013, 12:11 PM
"RIFLES: The CMP currently has over 12,000 unfilled orders for rifles, ammo and other items. We also still have thousands of M1 Garands. These rifles all require inspection and repair and grading before being put up for sale. At times the customer demand exceeds the amount that our staff can make ready for sale. This is the case now with the field and service grade M1 Garand rifles. As the CMP armory produces the rifles, they are all being used to fill existing mail orders, some from as far back as the beginning of January. Until we catch up on mail orders, there will not be any field or service grade rifles in the stores at Anniston or Camp Perry. For now, we only have the M1 Service Grade Special ($950), M1 CMP Special ($995), M1C, M1D, M1NM, and Kimber model .82 (.22LR) in stock at both stores. We expect this to continue until late June.

I found this to be the case when I visited the Anniston store on March 9. Sandy told me the Feild and Service grade will not be restocked. Not sure what she meant. The racks were virtually empty. The only thing they had plenty of in the racks were parade models (welded barrels) and sniper models.

I bought a CMP Special while I was there.

igotta40
March 19, 2013, 12:17 PM

I found this to be the case when I visited the Anniston store on March 9. Sandy told me the Feild and Service grade will not be restocked. Not sure what she meant. The racks were virtually empty. The only thing they had plenty of in the racks were parade models (welded barrels) and sniper models.

I bought a CMP Special while I was there.

baz
March 19, 2013, 08:06 PM

I bought a CMP Special while I was there.I just sent in an order for the CMP Special in .308, which still would appear to be available according to the CMP web site. I opted for .308 so as not to add yet another caliber to my gun collection. I already have a couple of other rifles in .308, and none in .30-06. The wait is said to be 30-60 days, and if I get it in that time frame, I'll be pleasantly surprised. I can wait. Maybe ammo will be more plentiful by the time it arrives. I do have a few hundred rounds of .308, but with the addition of the Garand, I'd like to get the count up to a couple of thousand rounds, eventually.

If you enjoyed reading about "Thinking about getting a Garand" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!