first ban guns, then ban swords, now...

PDA

Billmanweh
March 12, 2004, 05:53 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/lancashire/3541165.stm

New pint glasses to cut violence

A new type of pint pot is to be introduced into bars to reduce the number of "glassings".

Council licensing officers in Rossendale, Lancashire, are testing safety glasses which shatter into small pieces on impact.

The glass is similar to the type used for car windscreens.

Under new legislation, it will soon be possible for councils to demand bars where there have been disorder problems to stock the glasses.

Lancashire Police officer Pc Chris Adams said: "There are many events this year, in particular, Euro 2004, that could be the sparking point for violence.

"We want to prevent that violence, but if it does happen, this product will reduce the effects of it."

If you enjoyed reading about "first ban guns, then ban swords, now..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Stand_Watie
March 12, 2004, 06:04 AM
They were talking about requiring them to serve out of plastic mugs a few years back - don't know what ever became of that.

jsalcedo
March 12, 2004, 08:15 AM
Ever drink beer out of a platic mug?:barf:

Next they will ban darts, pool cues and make everyone wear mittens
and fuzzy house slippers

threeseven
March 12, 2004, 08:53 AM
What an outrage! I can't believe it!

Hold on, what's the problem with this exactly?

igor
March 12, 2004, 08:54 AM
When they open the biergartens in the summer here it's plastic containers all the way... just an expense thing, not so much safety. Never had the "glassing" culture here.

OTOH, the only time I've gotten hit when working security, the customer was trying just that...

To the point, if you lack the experience of both of the above, you'll be well adviced to avoid both like herpes simplex 10... :D

Billmanweh
March 12, 2004, 09:03 AM
no outrage, just once again the silliness of focusing on the inanimate object (gun, sword, glass cup, whatever) versus doing something about the crime or the criminal

threeseven
March 12, 2004, 09:10 AM
They're just making the glasses a bit less dangerous. I say good on them.

I've stepped on glasses in pubs and bars before, and I've seen them stepped on. I approve of this.

Billmanweh
March 12, 2004, 09:13 AM
it has nothing to do with the glasses being less dangerous, or stepping on glass. people want to hurt each other and some people see the solution to that as making safer cups.

El Tejon
March 12, 2004, 10:20 AM
Lop their hands and feet off at birth. That way they cannot hurt anyone or vote! (Maybe take a hammer to their teeth but that's a self-correcting problem in the UK).:D

TBeck
March 12, 2004, 10:31 AM
Good luck eating the boiled meat with a spork! :rolleyes:

ceetee
March 12, 2004, 10:32 AM
Lop their hands and feet off at birth. That way they cannot hurt anyone or vote! (

They can still "stub" you to death. I say the only reasonable answer is to lock everyone up, each in their own sterile little rubber room, and throw away the key...

cordex
March 12, 2004, 10:35 AM
threeseven,
I have no problem with bars deciding to buy safer glasses. Good for them! My problem is:
Under new legislation, it will soon be possible for councils to demand bars where there have been disorder problems to stock the glasses.
Safety glass == good.
Government banning "real" glass (even on a bar-by-bar basis) == bad.

Less people hurt == good.
Government running my life == bad.

But keep in mind that I'm just one of those crazy Americans who thinks that people should be free - even if it means free to hurt themselves. We aren't as civilized as you Aussies. ;) I wonder if we could get some legislation banning metal forks ... and have you ever seen someone beaten with a jar of pickled eggs? Gorram messy.

Would you be interested in a law that mandates healthy food and exercise?

jsalcedo
March 12, 2004, 10:41 AM
Safe mugs?

I gave up safe mugs when I was 2.5 years old.

Glass is more sanitary and helps keep the beer at the proper temperature.

Plastic has a nasty tendency to get scratched. Scratches in plastic harbor bacteria that is difficult to kill. There have been several articles recently
condeming reuseable plastic beverage containers.

I'm a brewer and can testify to the fact that even heavy duty sanitzer on my plastic equipment doesn't always do the trick.

How about punishing the unruly folks that throw beer mugs instead of
punishing everyone with unsanitary plastic mugs that make good beer taste like an sweaty armpit.

Stand_Watie
March 12, 2004, 10:45 AM
I wonder if we could get some legislation banning metal forks ...

I'm sure they wouldn't take it that far. Perhaps assign a few million police to go about the country making sure that the safety corks are attached to each person's assigned eating implement:scrutiny:

Hey what's wrong with that?

cordex
March 12, 2004, 11:11 AM
Stand_Watie,
I admire your desire to find a solution to the Fork Violence problem, but corking simply isn't enough. Criminals will just remove the cork, or steal someone else's uncorked fork.

There are three possible solutions.

The first is making forks out of safety glass. Because the fork will fragment after the first stab, it can't be used for subsequent forkings, and is therefore safer. (Reports of massively increased wounding from the initial stab are unreliable at best.)

The second solution is to only allow forks like the ones you get when you order Chinese food - forks that are stamped from plastic baggies. The downside is that you have a greater chance of aspirating the whole fork than being harmed by any possible use as a weapon.

The final solution is the best - dull metal sporks made from aluminum. Serial numbered and registered, of course.

Skunkabilly
March 12, 2004, 12:34 PM
As long as they don't come for my Nalgene. Who needs glass cups anyway?

RobW
March 12, 2004, 12:44 PM
The insanity is going strong. Best thing (in accordance with the PETA life forms) would be to BAN HUMAN BEINGS, and the world will become a paradise!

Cheeshhhh :rolleyes:

TBeck
March 12, 2004, 01:44 PM
This is forking silly!

Topgun
March 12, 2004, 02:14 PM
that since plastic bottles came out, there have been far fewer guys using bottles instead of knives in bar fights?

:)

Mizzoutiger
March 12, 2004, 02:27 PM
This sounds like another solution looking for a problem.
But anyways...

There's your sign.

DougCxx
March 12, 2004, 02:54 PM
-For those of you who didn't know: in UK bar fights, it is standard operating procedure for people to grab their beer mugs and start pounding each other's faces in. The mugs are big and heavy, made of tough glass and do not break easily. British facial reconstructive surgeons are considered to be the best in the world--and the reason is because of all the practice they have gotten,,,,,, -related to beer-mug injuries. While I agree that plastic doesn't "drink" the same as glass, it is not a made-up problem I can assure you.
.....In recent years a lot of places have gone to "handle-less" glasses in an effort to reduce such injuries on their premises.
Using a beer mug as a weapon can happen anywhere of course, but it seems to be a uniquely British Isles tradition. I haven't really heard of it happening with the same frequency anywhere else.
---------
The practical problem with requiring them to use mugs that are more brittle is that bar owners like to use the beer mugs that are made of a soft + tough glass, specifically because such mugs are resistant to breakage.
~

Dave Markowitz
March 12, 2004, 04:08 PM
Ah, but how do you defend yourself against a man armed with a piece of fresh fruit?!?

:neener:

Moparmike
March 12, 2004, 04:15 PM
You there! Come at me with that bannana! SCREAM at me!

aaarr.

No no no...Really SCREAM at me! Come on! Do it!

AAAAHHHHHHHHHH!!!

THats good. Now scream at me and come at me.

AAAAAHHHHH *BOOOM!!!

Now, you take the fruit, and eat it, thus disarming him.

There we conclude, "How to defend yourself against an assailant armed with a bannana."

:D :D

Like others have said: Safe glass = good. Government mandated safe glass = bad.

What about a bunch?:p

If you enjoyed reading about "first ban guns, then ban swords, now..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!