.22LR Shortage..? This might give you hope.?.!

PDA

tjs45d
March 1, 2013, 05:52 PM
Here is a really good video on the production of .22 Rimfire ammo..

This details the manufacturing process and is very informative. (Source: Shooting USA.. )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=pvK9QlQtrKI

(Video is 7:00 min..)

Let's see : 4,000,000 rounds per day (One company, CCI)

( Math Based on 5 days per week production, multiplied by 12 months)

Total Rounds produced this year : 960,000,000

If there are 100,000,000 .22LR rifle owners in the country, that gives an average of 9.6 rounds per owner....

Just thought I'd pass this along as I hadn't seen this yet, and thought it needed to be passed along... :)

If you enjoyed reading about ".22LR Shortage..? This might give you hope.?.!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
SaxonPig
March 1, 2013, 10:15 PM
Right now bricks of 22 ammo are selling for $75-$100+ on Gunbroker.

I have absolutely NO hope prices will go down soon, nor do I believe they will ever go back to where they were since we have demonstrated that we will pay way more than they thought. Why should they reduce it to $22 again when folks are paying $100+? In maybe a year or so I see the retail dropping to $30 and staying there. And the people paying so much now will think it a bargain.

buckeye8
March 1, 2013, 10:24 PM
I disagree with Saxon. The .22 shortage was mostly a byproduct of fears that had nothing to do with the .22LR cartridge. Everyone just scooped up the .22 along with everything else they were buying.

Most folks have what they want, and some of them have more than they need. I think .22 prices and availability will be fairly normal again sometime this summer. Wouldn't be surprised if it was even early in the summer.

The .22LR world will come back to reality long before the AR-15/AR Mags/.223 world does.

Ignition Override
March 2, 2013, 03:02 AM
Many people already stored 1,500-2,000 (+) rds. of .22 LR and aren't even considering paying "tourist prices" for .22.

We/they knew that there would be no forewarning of a massacre and the resultant panic.
A friend of mine has stored about 30,000 rds. of Centerfire ammo (imagine his rimfire), and expects no future govt. notices that ammo imports
'could' one day be banned, or taxes increased etc.

BigBore44
March 2, 2013, 03:07 AM
I bought 375 rds of CCI 22lr at Academy 2 days ago for $22. There were 12 boxes on the shelf. Gonna go back and get some more soon. They also had several hundred rounds of 223, 308, and 45.

coloradokevin
March 2, 2013, 03:10 AM
I'm just happy to say that .22lr ammunition is the ONE cartridge I feel like I have in a decent supply around here. It's kind of ironic that it happened that way at all, since .22lr was the last cartridge I thought I'd have any trouble getting!

Snowdog
March 2, 2013, 03:57 AM
Prices fluctuate. I remember prices of .22LR hit the roof when Obama first took office. I knew it would settle and when it did, I replenished my supplies and purchased a couple cases extra to auction for the next panic (because there's always the next panic).

Sure enough, the highly publicized shooting sparked the latest panic and I sold one of my cases of CCI for nearly $600. Before any ballyhoos, there was NO reserve and the starting bid was set at what I paid for it before the panic.

Price will come back down. Perhaps not to what they were, but to within reason.
When they do, I'll buy another case or two for the next panic (because there's always the next panic).

Reloadron
March 2, 2013, 08:54 AM
Pretty cool video of how those little rimfires are made. I have also seen videos of the Lake City plant in operation. Interesting stuff.

Yeah. go figure, four million rounds per day and currently the stuff is hard to fine and that's just CCI.

Ron

Coyote3855
March 2, 2013, 09:01 AM
This week I received 1400 rounds of CCI mini mags from Cabela's. I ordered in late December. I think future prices will be driven by market and will return to something like pre panic. But I don't have a crystal ball.

Queen_of_Thunder
March 2, 2013, 09:05 AM
I've been waiting fo the wolf extra match to come back in stock. It shoots very well in my Hammerli.

22-rimfire
March 2, 2013, 09:11 AM
If there are 100,000,000 .22LR rifle owners in the country, that gives an average of 9.6 rounds per owner....

Just thought I'd pass this along as I hadn't seen this yet, and thought it needed to be passed along.

I think you're "stretching" a bit here. Hmm... using your rationale, it would take me 5 years to acquire a single 50-ct box of 22 ammo. So where is the "hope"?

Otherwise... welcome to the forum.

ID-shooting
March 2, 2013, 09:12 AM
It is only the idiots paying those prices. I bought three 50-round boxes of CCI .22 lr at wally world yesterday for $2.97 each, the wife went in later and bought 3 more.

While morons are complaining about paying so much for .22 ammo I am going shooting later today.

Mobuck
March 2, 2013, 09:19 AM
Anyone in the position of "needing" to buy 22lr now should have their hands slapped for not being better prepared. Twenty two ammo was cheap and easy to store so no reason not to have several thousand on hand. If you have a 22 and don't have at least 5K of ammo, go shut your hand in the first door you encounter.

22-rimfire
March 2, 2013, 09:21 AM
I have quite a bit cached away for my needs. Other than a pyschological influence on shooting in general, this ammunition shortage has absolutely no effect on my shooting. I pulled 5,000 rounds out of my cabinet the other day to make room and you couldn't even tell I removed any. Need to pull another couple 100 boxes out of the cabinet.

The fact is it doesn't bother me in the winter to not be shooting much, but as it warms up for Spring, I wll start going thorugh some ammunition. The shortage has the effect of making me not want to shoot at all and that is just ridiculous.

tjs45d
March 2, 2013, 10:27 AM
I think you're "stretching" a bit here. Hmm... using your rationale, it would take me 5 years to acquire a single 50-ct box of 22 ammo. So where is the "hope"?

Otherwise... welcome to the forum.
What I was trying to say it that there is a LOT of production capacity, and CCI is only one of a number of .22LR manufacturers. I would hope that supply would start coming back soon. Can 100 million rifle owners buy all of the supply? Due to current events, it obviously can, but at some point, manufacturing by multiple companies at these kind of volumes "should" catch up to demand..

Point taken on the 5 years to accumulate a 50 round box..

Thanks for the welcome...!

heeler
March 2, 2013, 10:55 AM
I too was very lucky the other day and found a brick of Aguila 22LR at Midway for $28.99 and I also found and ordered 10 boxes of 50 count Aguila I am pretty sure it was $3.19 a box at Natchezz.
Of course it's gone now.
Both of these places are following a good business model by keeping their prices in check with reality.
And looking at Midway's site it appears a lot of 22 ammo will be coming in the next several weeks.
I know it's not easy being patient,especially if you have no ammo,but this thing is starting to change.

wally
March 2, 2013, 07:33 PM
Many people already stored 1,500-2,000 (+)

That is less than 1 months supply for my wife and I, hardly a "stockpile", ten times that was our starting point so we hope to get thru the current craziness.

avs11054
March 2, 2013, 07:36 PM
Don't know if I have much hope right now. I got an e-mail from Midway the other day saying that they expect the current shortage to last at least another six months. The expected arrival date of all the ammo that is out of stock on their website keeps getting pushed back, so I tend to believe the e-mail.

stinger26
March 2, 2013, 09:27 PM
Scored 5K of CCI Blazer the other day while monitoring the web and received it Friday. Paid a little more, but it should last til things get closer to normal.

breakingcontact
March 2, 2013, 09:49 PM
Unfortunately I don't think things will return to "normal" as in the before times. Prices will hopefully come down as quantities increase but there will be a new normal. I saw boxes of 22mag today for the first time in months. CCI w the swamp choot 'em guy. $40 I believe.

husbandofaromanian
March 2, 2013, 10:04 PM
I just bought a case (5,000 rounds) of SK Pistol match from www.champchoice.com
The Price was very reasonable. I am very happy with this company.
I thanked them for not gouging when I bought them.

doc2rn
March 2, 2013, 10:15 PM
I shoot a lot of .22 lr and it would be my favorite rimfire if it wasn't for the .22 WMR! Now if only that price wasn't so outrageous to begin with...

heatseeker8
March 3, 2013, 08:52 AM
Thanks for sharing! Great vid!

coolluke01
March 3, 2013, 09:53 AM
All those workers are moving too slow! Step it up! lol

To all those who say "if you don't have ammo to shoot you should slam your hand in the door for being so stupid and unprepared" You have no idea what you are talking about. Many of us buy ammo when we can afford it! It's those who are stocking up for the next tragedy who are driving up the prices. Yes .22 was cheap, but 3 little kids aren't.
This "I told you so" garbage has got to stop!

You won't hear me complaining about how ammo is so expensive and everyone is gouging. It's the free market, I understand that. Those that have money to spend will have ammo. You may drive a nicer car than me too, but don't through it in my face.

I'm not completely unprepared either. I have about 1500 .22 rounds right now for my rifles. .22 for my AA conversion kit is another story though. I have had a hard time finding Golden bullets for it for a while now around here. CCI mini mags are an option but they are 2x-3x the cost of GB's.

coolluke01
March 3, 2013, 10:35 AM
So I should slam my head in a car door because I didn't by gas and store it when it was cheaper? No, I drive less.

My point is, just because someone would like to buy ammo right now so they can shoot, it doesn't mean they are morons for not stocking up earlier.

Why so volatile? Why so quick to turn on your own? I'll tell you why. Many gun owners truly do have inferiority complexes. Short fat men feel big when they have a gun. Same way you feel big and powerful with a keyboard. Now, note I said some, not all. This same "some" are represented in other sports or hobbies as well. If the shoe fits...

Things are not as black and white as you would like them. I happen to be a highly motivated, long range thinking investor. I don't have ten's of thousands of rounds in my dungeon because I am investing in other things right now. I don't see that as worthy of smashed appendages.

I didn't mean to side rail the OP. But this line of thinking is getting very tiring and simply sickening.

M2 Carbine
March 3, 2013, 11:10 AM
So I should slam my head in a car door because I didn't by gas and store it when it was cheaper? No, I drive less.

Poor comparison. Most people have no safe way to store gas but most everyone can store a years worth of ammunition in a corner somewhere.

I didn't mean to side rail the OP. But this line of thinking is getting very tiring and simply sickening.
So is the complaining by people that didn't plan ahead enough to buy a couple extra Wal Mart 22 bulk packs once in a while and stick them in a corner. They think it's everyone else's fault because they can't get ammo now.
A blind man could see the shortage coming. It's not even the first time.

idcurrie
March 3, 2013, 11:13 AM
Here in Canada 22lr is plentiful. The local Cabela's here in Edmonton has pallets of it sitting out. They have:

Winchester Wildcat bulk
Winchester Bushman by the brick
Winchester M22 1000rd
Winchester 333/555
Federal 525
Federal Ammo can with bulk 2100 rds
CCI 375rd boxes mini mags
CCI trays mini mags
CCI standard velocity
CCI subsonic
CCI segmented hollow point
CCI quiet
CCI quiet segmented hollow point
American Eagle
Federal Match
Federal target
three types of federal blue box 50rd boxes
a bunch of Remington fodder that no one cares about.

I'm sure there's more that I can't remember.

So there's no shortage here yet. We do know that one will come. Not because there's increased demand, but simply because we will not be able to resupply from south of the border (the UA).

I've been using this opportunity to stock up. I've gotten several thousand lately. I plan to reach 10,000 rounds before the shortage hits here. I shoot about 6000 per year so that should be a good safety.

The cost is $19.99Cdn for 500 rds.

http://s7.postimage.org/8ucynb3yz/photo_3.jpg (http://postimage.org/)
photo sharing sites (http://postimage.org/)

http://s7.postimage.org/mgi9tlazf/photo_4.jpg (http://postimage.org/)
online photo storage (http://postimage.org/)

http://s7.postimage.org/f9l6bgpgb/photo_5.jpg (http://postimage.org/)
upload pic (http://postimage.org/)

http://s11.postimage.org/h5z27s3xf/photo_6.jpg (http://postimage.org/)
image ru (http://postimage.org/)

http://s11.postimage.org/930vwgjc3/photo_7.jpg (http://postimage.org/)

http://s18.postimage.org/dwyp3u7l5/photo_8.jpg (http://postimage.org/)
pic hosting (http://postimage.org/)

Reloadron
March 3, 2013, 11:18 AM
All those workers are moving too slow! Step it up! lol

To all those who say "if you don't have ammo to shoot you should slam your hand in the door for being so stupid and unprepared" You have no idea what you are talking about. Many of us buy ammo when we can afford it! It's those who are stocking up for the next tragedy who are driving up the prices. Yes .22 was cheap, but 3 little kids aren't.
This "I told you so" garbage has got to stop!

You won't hear me complaining about how ammo is so expensive and everyone is gouging. It's the free market, I understand that. Those that have money to spend will have ammo. You may drive a nicer car than me too, but don't through it in my face.

I'm not completely unprepared either. I have about 1500 .22 rounds right now for my rifles. .22 for my AA conversion kit is another story though. I have had a hard time finding Golden bullets for it for a while now around here. CCI mini mags are an option but they are 2x-3x the cost of GB's.

I agree with you and have since day one. The actual cost of a single box of .22 ammunition or a pound of powder is directly proportional to a box of pampers or a pound of beef for the table.

This forum has a large number of young and new shooters. Many married with little future shooters and responsibilities that come well ahead of a hobby like shooting. We also have a large number of students with school responsibilities. Placing beanies and weenies on the table and paying tuition come long before buying shooting supplies.

For some people and extra hundred or five hundred dollars to blow on a hobby is nothing, for those who seldom see anything extra that same one hundred or five hundred dollars is a hell of a lot of money. Shooting and guns are not exactly an inexpensive hobby!

Without knowing a persons ability to stockpile shooting supplies and telling them they should have been prepared is pretty damn arrogant to say the least.

Just My Take..........
Ron

22-rimfire
March 3, 2013, 11:55 AM
Shooting is not an inexpensive hobby. Shooting centerfire firearms is not a cheap hobby. Shooting 22 rimfire allows many to shoot that otherwise might seldom shoot or shoot a gun at all to enjoy the sport.

About shooting 22's.... When I was in high school and college, buying a brick of 22 ammo was a big deal and I seldom shot 500 rounds in one sitting. Many could do it, but many couldn't simply because even if there was ammunition easily available, they didn't have the money. Other things came first. Hence shooting was rationed to some degree. When I got out of college, I'd walk into a store and see bricks of 22 ammo on sale.... my old life said you need to buy it; it is on sale and the cost was insignificant at that point... but I was living in a new city where I had no idea where to shoot and I didn't have any guns with we anyway. But still, my life's experience told me, I ought to buy some. Funny.

It is not particularly remarkable that many were caught without a supply of rimfire ammunition. I was there. Oh, I usually had at least a brick, but I seldom had more than two bricks on hand ever. That was a year's supply for me unless I got with my brothers and had an afternoon of plinking.

To thumb your nose at people who just don't consume that much ammunition or "didn't see the writing on the wall" is a bit arrogant. Nobody likes to be told... I told you so.

If I were a casual golfer and I believed there would be a shortage of golf balls, I'd probably buy some extra. But the reality is that I would never even believe that a shortage might develop. So I would have what I have and buy more if I could. Same with ammunition, especially 22 ammunition. It is not that big a deal to simply not shoot for a while.

If you shot all the time or participated on the gun forums, you probably had some suspicion that a shortage might develop after the last presidential election. So.... for the participants and people with knowledge and some sense of the future, if you don't have any 22 ammunition, then... "I told you so."

For those that seldom shoot, just don't shoot for a while. It is not exactly like your life revolved around shooting anyway. If a friend can provide some ammunition, great; if not, then wait until inventories return. Not a big deal.

Reloadron
March 3, 2013, 11:59 AM
Hey, on another note and looking at idcurrie's post maybe I need to take a road trip north to Canada. Then I can load my entire truck up with .22 ammunition and drag it home. The Niagra Falls crossing is only 3 hours from here. Maybe charter a boat to cross Lake Erie?

What's the penalty for dragging a few million .22 rounds from Canada to the US?

I could open something like a small lemonade stand selling black market .22 ammunition. :)

Ron

idcurrie
March 3, 2013, 12:08 PM
You need a PAL to purchase ammunition in Canada. In Ontario, which is where you're talking about going, there is no Cabela's. They have provincial laws in that province where all ammunition sales must be recorded in a CFO (police officer) owned ledger.

Here in Alberta, there is no such law.

GEM
March 3, 2013, 12:14 PM
At the gun show, there were bricks for $225 - along with Glock mags for $69.

Some of the bricks were obviously ancient ones pulled from the back of the cheese caves and the Mummy's tomb.

Unless you desperately need them to shoot - you are a sucker to buy such.

Some LGS guys camp out by the big box stores and then buy the bricks and flip them for the exhorbitant prices. Stupid to buy from them.

gotzero
March 3, 2013, 12:16 PM
You need a PAL to purchase ammunition in Canada. In Ontario, which is where you're talking about going, there is no Cabela's. They have provincial laws in that province where all ammunition sales must be recorded in a CFO (police officer) owned ledger.

Thanks for showing the selection up north!

22-rimfire
March 3, 2013, 12:49 PM
Idcurrie, those photos reflect what will be here too in time again.

Reloadron
March 3, 2013, 01:29 PM

OK, thanks a bunch. I will cancel the road trip and thoughts of leasing a charter boat. Damn, and it seemed so simple too! :)

Ron

22-rimfire
March 3, 2013, 01:32 PM
I always thought the reason to travel accross the border for an evening was to pick up some Cuban cigars. :D Now it's ammo. Good luck with both.

ACP
March 3, 2013, 01:40 PM
Gaah! idcurrie, you're killing me!

I've got 2,000 rounds each of 22LR and 5.56 and consider that hanging on by my fingernails. I'm on a wait list at Sportsman's Guide.... the shelves at my area Ccabela's are BARE of 22LR (and only eight boxes of 22 Short, at last visit)

OilyPablo
March 3, 2013, 03:09 PM
What are the ammo laws in BC? I don't think there is a Cabela's there.

Zeke/PA
March 3, 2013, 04:09 PM
I worked part time about 5 years ago at a "BIG" Sporting Goods store where a local Boy Scout Summer Camp bought their supply of .22 Long Rifle Ammo.
The store of course gave the Scouts a bargain price as the Scouts purchased 250 Thousand rounds to see them through a Summer Camping Season.
My hope IS that the Scouts are able to secure the ammo that they need.
I know that it seems like a lot of ammo but in 3 months(summer camp), it don't take many Scouts to shoot 50 rounds apiece/day to come up with that figure.

dodo bird
March 3, 2013, 04:15 PM
I never thought I would see federal bulk pack in English and French! Only in Canada

shooter_from_show-me
March 3, 2013, 05:01 PM
Pretty neat video.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk 2

gfanikf
March 3, 2013, 06:31 PM
I never thought I would see federal bulk pack in English and French! Only in Canada
Browning firearms have dual language warnings and instructions.

idcurrie
March 3, 2013, 06:52 PM
What are the ammo laws in BC?

A possession and acquisition license is required to purchase ammunition anywhere in Canada. It's a federal law.

As far as I know, B.C. has no further laws. I believe Ontario and Quebec are the only provinces with more restrictive laws. I stand to be corrected on that, however.

There are two official languages here. All products are dual language. BUT! I bought one of the federal ammo cans with 2100 rounds in it (4 boxes) and they had the american labels on them.

Canadian packages actually have different model numbers.

For example, Federal makes these two models of blue box ammo for the 30 30:

3030a
3030b

In Canada, these are sold as:

3030ac
3030bc

Obviously, the c denotes Canada and the multilingual packaging. Otherwise, it's all the same as far I know.

All that said, it seems Cabela's skirts the rules frequently and imports directly from the USA without observing packaging requirements. I have bought some of the above 30 30 loads without French labelling there which are not available ANYWHERE else. I suspect this is how Cabela's usually wins on price and availability.

Browning firearms have dual language warnings and instructions.

All firearms do that are sold here, as far as I know. I've bought Winchester, Savage, Weatherby, Marlin, Ruger, Mossberg, Henry and others and they've all been multilingual.

There may or may not be export restrictions with bringing ammo out of Canada and there may be import restrictions when bringing it back to the USA. I know for a fact there are severe restrictions when bringing it North.

Big_E
March 3, 2013, 07:22 PM
I keep forgetting that CCI is Idaho based. I may just have to start buying exclusively from them. I do love my Federal Auto-Match though...

OilyPablo
March 3, 2013, 07:31 PM
Thanks idcurrie! Good info.

k_dawg
March 3, 2013, 07:54 PM
Here in Canada 22lr is plentiful. The local Cabela's here in Edmonton has pallets of it sitting out. They have:

Winchester Wildcat bulk
Winchester Bushman by the brick
Winchester M22 1000rd
Winchester 333/555
Federal 525
Federal Ammo can with bulk 2100 rds
CCI 375rd boxes mini mags
CCI trays mini mags
CCI standard velocity
CCI subsonic
CCI segmented hollow point
CCI quiet
CCI quiet segmented hollow point
American Eagle
Federal Match
Federal target
three types of federal blue box 50rd boxes
a bunch of Remington fodder that no one cares about.

I'm sure there's more that I can't remember.

So there's no shortage here yet. We do know that one will come. Not because there's increased demand, but simply because we will not be able to resupply from south of the border (the UA).

I've been using this opportunity to stock up. I've gotten several thousand lately. I plan to reach 10,000 rounds before the shortage hits here. I shoot about 6000 per year so that should be a good safety.

The cost is $19.99Cdn for 500 rds.

http://s7.postimage.org/8ucynb3yz/photo_3.jpg (http://postimage.org/)
photo sharing sites (http://postimage.org/)

http://s7.postimage.org/mgi9tlazf/photo_4.jpg (http://postimage.org/)

http://s7.postimage.org/f9l6bgpgb/photo_5.jpg (http://postimage.org/)
upload pic (http://postimage.org/)

http://s11.postimage.org/h5z27s3xf/photo_6.jpg (http://postimage.org/)
image ru (http://postimage.org/)

http://s11.postimage.org/930vwgjc3/photo_7.jpg (http://postimage.org/)

http://s18.postimage.org/dwyp3u7l5/photo_8.jpg (http://postimage.org/)
pic hosting (http://postimage.org/)

The Canucks are coming! :what::what:

Deer_Freak
March 3, 2013, 08:35 PM
I have plenty of 22 LR ammo. I bought a brick of 22 ammo every time I saw it for under $20 whether I needed it or not. Even though I have plenty to shoot the current market doesn't put me in the mood to go out and plink. Warm spring weather will get me in the mood to get out and do some shooting. I carry a 22 when fishing. There are some great places for target practice around my fishing holes. Different places always get me in the mood for shooting.

I don't know about the 22 LR. But I am hearing ammo production should catch up with demand around Christmas. Prices will go down to prepanic levels. When distributors have inventory that isn't moving they have no choice but to cut prices.

bri
March 3, 2013, 08:42 PM
Anyone in the position of "needing" to buy 22lr now should have their hands slapped for not being better prepared. Twenty two ammo was cheap and easy to store so no reason not to have several thousand on hand. If you have a 22 and don't have at least 5K of ammo, go shut your hand in the first door you encounter.
Seriously?

I'll say it again. I want the old THR back.

Litlman
March 3, 2013, 09:43 PM
Wow? My buddy made a run today. Found nothing in 22. He drove almost an hour in one direction. He hit Dunckleburgers in E. Stroudsburge and it was a mad house no 22. He eventually found two 375 rd boxes for $32 at a more local shop. I don't agree with the if you don't have it by now, the heck with you attitude.

breakingcontact
March 3, 2013, 10:26 PM
Seriously?

I'll say it again. I want the old THR back.

Things certainly have changed.

I understand giving advice to others to prepare...but what's the point of gloating over what you have that others don't? Its a pride thing.

Fat babies have no pride.

mopar92
March 3, 2013, 10:30 PM
What I was trying to say it that there is a LOT of production capacity, and CCI is only one of a number of .22LR manufacturers. I would hope that supply would start coming back soon. Can 100 million rifle owners buy all of the supply? Due to current events, it obviously can, but at some point, manufacturing by multiple companies at these kind of volumes "should" catch up to demand..

Point taken on the 5 years to accumulate a 50 round box..

Thanks for the welcome...!

True- Franklin TN PD was allocated the 20,000 rounds of .22LR that Academy was supposed to get. So, no, it is not just individuals that are buying it, it is PD's all over, Civilian Marksmanship Program, us, etc... It's everybody. Plus, you can shoot 500 rounds in a day easily. So that means we need to go buy more, etc...

coolluke01
March 3, 2013, 11:16 PM
The real sad thing is that those that have all this ammo stocked up still don't feel like shooting it. I felt a little bad about shooting 20 rounds of 9mm in my carry gun today because I knew what it would cost for me to replace it right now.

Hoarding doesn't make you feel free, you still have to think about the current cost and limited supply. It takes a lot of the fun out of it...

22-rimfire
March 4, 2013, 09:53 AM
The real sad thing is that those that have all this ammo stocked up still don't feel like shooting it.

That be right for me as well at least until the weather warms up.

OilyPablo
March 4, 2013, 10:00 AM
Here is a really good video on the production of .22 Rimfire ammo..

This details the manufacturing process and is very informative. (Source: Shooting USA.. )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=pvK9QlQtrKI

It surprises me for such high volume how many process are manual and seem a bit old fashioned. Not at all saying this is a bad thing, just having worked in manufacturing for 35 years now (all around the world) I would think the investment in more automation would be paying off right about now.

ahil925
March 4, 2013, 11:00 AM
To be frank, the run on .22lr caught me completely off guard and confuses the hell out of me. During the 2008 and 2012 elections I saw your common CF ammo fly off the shelves, so I could under stand it disappearing after in the current climate. But I never foresaw .22lr vanishing, as prior experience in years past made it feel like a "safe" bet, that no matter what some would always be on the shelves.

So why wasn't it? I'll admit to being a broke college student and being horrible about keeping my ammo stash supplied, so it comes as a bit of a shock to me to hear about people sitting on 5000+ rounds and being to afraid to shoot any of it. Why the fear for the .22's? I can understand the fear of a possible AWB turning into a more general ban, but haven't .22s and shotgun generally been considered "safe" from most gun grabs (I know that's not true, but I've talked to a number of gun owners that seem to think it)? It's not like .22lr is a primary evil-black-rifle food like 5.56 or 7.62x39, nor is it horrible hi-capacity-plastic-deathray chow like 9mm or .40s&w. I just have a sad time coming to grips that .22lr is missing.

The only good thing to come out this is that it's forcing me to get to know my 20ga better as its one of the few firearms I can still semi-regularly feed.

BSA1
March 4, 2013, 11:14 AM
The real sad thing is that those that have all this ammo stocked up still don't feel like shooting it.

Yep. Just like all of those folks that have money in savings accounts that don't feel like helping the economy and fellow citizens by spending it.

Ryanxia
March 4, 2013, 11:26 AM
Just because you're seeing inflated prices on GB or from some dealers doesn't mean it's all that high. My LGS is at $25/box of 500 CCI .22's and I pick a case up every now and again.

Reloadron
March 4, 2013, 06:08 PM
That be right for me as well at least until the weather warms up.
Me too, the high around here today was about 27. Maybe when I was 30, 40 or even 50 but since the 60 came along I have become a fair, warm weather shooter. My .22 stash can also remain warm and snug in their boxes till the weather warms up.

During the winters I do more loading for high power rifle and use the indoor range.

Ron

Seventhsword
March 4, 2013, 06:22 PM
I was @ Academy this morning and they had a lot off 22LR ammo that came in. It's probably gone now, but it was there this morning so it is shipping to stores.

Arbo
March 4, 2013, 06:46 PM
It's just starting to warm up enough to get out around here, haven't taken out the .22's yet, but I plan on shooting them more than everything else as I have enough to last a long long long time since I bought it before everything skyrocketed... Either that or I could make a hell of a lot of money at that 100 bucks a brick price... ;)

gfanikf
March 4, 2013, 08:02 PM
I was @ Academy this morning and they had a lot off 22LR ammo that came in. It's probably gone now, but it was there this morning so it is shipping to stores.
SGAMMO and PSA had large lots featuring CCI, Federal and Aquillia, so yep it is coming. Its a good time to watch gunbot.net That's how I snagged 1500 rounds at pre panic prices today.

thomis
March 5, 2013, 02:44 PM
makes me want to go put my .22 ammo in the safe with everything else.

GrOuNd_ZeRo
March 5, 2013, 02:56 PM
I picked up 100 rounds of .22LR yesterday :) I had to travel out of town though.

Shanghai McCoy
March 5, 2013, 06:29 PM
The west side wallyworld in the "People's Republik of Lawrence", Kansass, had some 22 Mag,solid and HP, on the shelf this afternoon as well as a few 06, 270 and other rifle calibers. 3 box limit sign on the case BTW...

ChileRelleno
March 5, 2013, 08:14 PM
I have always kept a pretty good stock of all my calibers, .22lr included.
But I like to rotate my stock and restock as I use it.
I've not had a problem finding .22lr at a reasonable price and in quantity, I just exercise patience and shop around... Yes, www.Gunbot.net is nice tool.

I just took delivery today from PSA, of 2k of CCI Mini Mag 36gr CPHP for $170.80 shipped.
That is only a penny more per round than WalMart's retail last year before the madness.

I'll shoot over 500 those the end of this month at an upcoming Appleseed.
And my 7yr'ol son and I will go through 250-500 per range trip.

22-rimfire
March 6, 2013, 01:16 PM
Some people try to make you feel un-American if you have a cache of ammunition, want to buy more, not share, or are hesitant to shoot up what you have. I don't have an answer for that other than we all do the best we can.

These dry ammunition periods have cemented "buy buy buy" into my psyche. I buy more food and common use household items than I need from day to day, so why would I not buy more ammunition than I need? Who knows what tomorrow will bring?

For the most part, I have always been more concerned about 22LR ammunition because I tend to shoot more of it up when I shoot as compared to some of the centerfire calibers. Until the supply lines get back to near normal, I suspect the ranges will not be seeing a lot of volume shooters.

shafter
March 6, 2013, 01:56 PM
What shortage? I find 22 ammo literally every time I walk into one of the local shops. Sometimes I get the last brick but I've never walked out empty handed.

Usually its CCI bricks at $27.

Today it was Remington 1400rd buckets. I got one at $63. Another shop had them at $73.

heeler
March 6, 2013, 02:41 PM
I received a brick of Aguila 22LR not five minutes ago from good old Midway via the brown truck.
Should be receiving another brick anyday from Natchezz.
All at regular prices.

22-rimfire
March 6, 2013, 02:43 PM
And what did you pay for shipping a single brick?

Reloadron
March 6, 2013, 06:01 PM
What shortage? I find 22 ammo literally every time I walk into one of the local shops. Sometimes I get the last brick but I've never walked out empty handed.

Usually its CCI bricks at $27.

Today it was Remington 1400rd buckets. I got one at $63. Another shop had them at $73.
And that would be where? Like even a close geographical location would be nice. :confused:

Ron

heeler
March 6, 2013, 06:54 PM
22-rimfire...Normally when I order ammo online I usually never buy less than five boxes to keep the shipping price inline with the actual purchase.
However,in these lean times Midway limited this purchase to one 500 round brick.
The brick was $28.99 and the shipping was $13.28.
As a comparison in mid January I ordered six boxes (300 rounds)of Fiocchi .32 ACP from Midway and the shipping was only$13.50.
I wished I could have bought more than one brick but at least the same day I found another brick of the same Aguila 22 LR at Natchezz.
Both sites were sold out literally minutes after I ordered.

22-rimfire
March 6, 2013, 10:21 PM
I would have passed on the brick of 22 ammo unless I didn't have any due to shipping. Just not worth it to me.

justice06rr
March 7, 2013, 12:00 AM
Good vid, thanks for sharing.

Poor comparison. Most people have no safe way to store gas but most everyone can store a years worth of ammunition in a corner somewhere.

So is the complaining by people that didn't plan ahead enough to buy a couple extra Wal Mart 22 bulk packs once in a while and stick them in a corner. They think it's everyone else's fault because they can't get ammo now.
A blind man could see the shortage coming. It's not even the first time.

You're not even close. The comparison wasn't the point, but the fact that people don't always stock up on things when they are available. Not because they don't want to, but most of the time they can't.

do you see everyone stocking up on food and water for the next hurricane? of course not. Only the serious preppers and those who are in that mindset do that. Once the calamity comes, then everyone buys it all at the same time.

Another reason that many of you guys forget is that there are countless new gun owners that just very recently bought their first gun--whether its a 22lr or 9mm. Those people are the ones hurting right now, and those with deep stockpiles are somehow making fun of them.

That is the sickening part. I have 2 friends who just got into guns last month, and they will be unable to buy any ammo for a while. One of them just bought a 9mm and a 22 pistol, the other friend hasn't even bought a gun because he can't find it in stock. I will happily give them a few boxes from my stash. Those new gun owners have no way of predicting a panic and shortage, because they never knew about it to begin with.

22-rimfire
March 7, 2013, 12:08 AM
I would be more than willing to help out a friend from my ammunition cache. But it would have to be a friend versus somebody I ran into at the gun shop.

I guess for the brand new gun owner, this is a good lesson about setting some aside for a rainy day.

rduchateau2954
March 7, 2013, 06:53 AM
People are paying $75-$100 for a brick of .22? I'm sitting on a pile of cash, and I can still get it for the regular price!

shafter
March 7, 2013, 07:55 AM
And that would be where? Like even a close geographical location would be nice.

Ron

It was in one of the original 13 Colonies. . .

shafter
March 7, 2013, 07:59 AM
Those new gun owners have no way of predicting a panic and shortage, because they never knew about it to begin with.

They may not have known about the shortage but like as not they've known and probably disliked or feared guns most of their lives. I don't feel too bad for them because it's people like that who have done nothing to uphold our 2nd Amendment protections. However, I'm happy that they're now on our side so I would likely share a few rounds with them at the range.

On the other hand, I know shooting is fun and all that but is it really the end of the world if we can't shoot every weekend for the next few months!?!?

Baron_Null
March 7, 2013, 08:34 AM
They may not have known about the shortage but like as not they've known and probably disliked or feared guns most of their lives. I don't feel too bad for them because it's people like that who have done nothing to uphold our 2nd Amendment protections. However, I'm happy that they're now on our side so I would likely share a few rounds with them at the range.

I've gone to every pro-2A rally I've been able to get to, and written all of my legislators. I argue every single day with people who have misguided opinions and try to educate who I can online. Even before I became old enough to buy guns I was encouraging my parents to do the same (even though they rarely did).

But, you know, you shouldn't feel bad for me because it's people like me who have done nothing to protect the 2nd Amendment.

The fact of the matter is that not all of the people who are trying to buy right now are people who didn't know about the panic. I've only been able to legally buy ammunition for a few months before the panic hit, and given the fact that I'm a college student without a well-paying job to pay for ammo, I would say that I'm not in the situation I'm in because of ignorance.

On the other hand, I know shooting is fun and all that but is it really the end of the world if we can't shoot every weekend for the next few months!?!?

Try at all instead of "every weekend". I used to go shooting once a month or so if I was able to. Now, because of the price and rarity of ammo, I'm lucky if I get that in. It's not just me moping around because I can't shoot every other day, I'm not even shooting enough to gain and maintain basic skills.

22-rimfire
March 7, 2013, 03:29 PM
I guess we owe you Baron Null because you are such a strong 2A supporter at your college? Come to my place and I'll sell you some 22 ammo at present day cost.

Baron_Null
March 7, 2013, 05:00 PM
I guess we owe you Baron Null because you are such a strong 2A supporter at your college? Come to my place and I'll sell you some 22 ammo at present day cost.

Haha. No one owes me anything. I'm just trying to dispel this whole "the only people caught in the shortage were too dumb to stock up" line of thought I keep seeing in pretty much every ammo-related thread.

I do appreciate the offer, though, even though it would probably wind up costing me around $180/brick due to the drive. I think I'll just give in to the scalpers. :evil:

Deer_Freak
March 7, 2013, 05:10 PM
Prices for 22 LR ammo will return to normal in time. In 2008 I paid $17 for 100 mini mags. When ammo supplies returned to normal I loaded up on 22 ammo. When round nose mini mags started getting hard to find I bought one of the 1600 round boxes at Walmart. About 90 days later there was no 22 ammo anywhere. I also keep around 2000 rounds of federal bulk 22 ammo on hand. My niece can run through 550 rounds in a day. I need that much just to entertain her.

Reloadron
March 7, 2013, 05:30 PM
It was in one of the original 13 Colonies. . .
There we have it. Anyone living in one of the 13 original colonies if you happen to share the same one as Shafter you should have all the .22 ammunition you could possibly want at inexpensive prices. Your chances are 1 in 13 (lucky number 13). :)

Ron

shafter
March 7, 2013, 05:32 PM
But, you know, you shouldn't feel bad for me because it's people like me who have done nothing to protect the 2nd Amendment.

Hey Baron, I didn't mean people like you. It sounds like you're doing a lot for our rights. My post was refering to people who have gone through life disliking guns and suddenly decide they want one and get bent out of sorts because there is no ammo. Good for you for all the good work you've done!

shafter
March 7, 2013, 05:35 PM
There we have it. Anyone living in one of the 13 original colonies if you happen to share the same one as Shafter you should have all the .22 ammunition you could possibly want at inexpensive prices. Your chances are 1 in 13 (lucky number 13).

Ron

I wish I could be more specific but I'm really not comfortable doing so online. I will say that it might be in a state you wouldn't expect. Think liberal.

Reloadron
March 7, 2013, 06:30 PM
I wish I could be more specific but I'm really not comfortable doing so online. I will say that it might be in a state you wouldn't expect. Think liberal.
Naw, I understand. Just giving you a hard time in jest. :)

My heart does go out to all the new shooters who either can't find .22 ammunition or are severely overpaying for the stuff.

On a side note the New Cabellas should have opened today in Columbus (actually north of Columbus) here in Ohio. I'll be down there tomorrow morning so my brother and I will check the place out. Guessing any ammo they had was gone today. :)

Anyway, it will be fun to check the place out and I'll be there for a granddaughters 9th birthday. Maybe I'll see one of those cute pink 10/22 rifles I want for her.

Ron

breakingcontact
March 8, 2013, 11:41 AM
If the supply/prices don't get better soon...we are either going to lose shooters or shooting for fun/proficiency several times a month may be reduced to shooting once or twice a year just to maintain familiarity. Dry fire at home and shooting pellet/bb/even airsoft may be viable alternatives.

nosmr2
March 8, 2013, 12:01 PM
If the supply/prices don't get better soon...we are either going to lose shooters or shooting for fun/proficiency several times a month may be reduced to shooting once or twice a year just to maintain familiarity. Dry fire at home and shooting pellet/bb/even airsoft may be viable alternatives.

I agree. My range has been about half as busy as usual and we are having very nice weather to boot.

If I was buying my first gun I would be very disappointed to say the least if I could not find ammo or affordable ammo for my new gun.

c4v3man
March 8, 2013, 12:06 PM
I'm just wondering if we'll start to see quality control issues start popping up... overcharges, etc. I'd imagine the big names have multiple layers of quality control to prevent problems, but I'd assume they have a fair number of new employees since they've been increasing their production rates.

blakeci
March 8, 2013, 12:36 PM

that right there is part of the reason we don't have more people on our side...that exclusive "club members only" approach to gunownership. The whole "screw 'em" attitude towards new shooters has got to stop, or soon we will be a tiny aging minority group of people. We should be acting as coaches and mentors, gladly welcoming any, and all, new owners into the fold. Teaching them the responsible and correct way to enjoy their newfound interest in guns.

Ignition Override
March 8, 2013, 03:27 PM
Will the new shooters go out after the panic cools off, and resolve to always have about 2,000 rds. of .22, plus enough to last six (warm) months in other calibers?

shafter
March 8, 2013, 04:16 PM
that right there is part of the reason we don't have more people on our side...that exclusive "club members only" approach to gunownership. The whole "screw 'em" attitude towards new shooters has got to stop, or soon we will be a tiny aging minority group of people. We should be acting as coaches and mentors, gladly welcoming any, and all, new owners into the fold. Teaching them the responsible and correct way to enjoy their newfound interest in guns.

I agree, I've mentored more than my share of new shooters and provided ammo to them. I am more than happy to welcome a new member to the fold.

However. . .I just can't bring myself to feel sorry for someone who spent their whole life being anti or indifferent to guns who is now freaking out because he can't get what he wants RIGHT NOW. Tough luck and stock it deep when it becomes available again.

22-rimfire
March 8, 2013, 06:57 PM
However. . .I just can't bring myself to feel sorry for someone who spent their whole life being anti or indifferent to guns who is now freaking out because he can't get what he wants RIGHT NOW. Tough luck and stock it deep when it becomes available again.

Glad to see you have some scrupples. But how do you tell if someone was anti last week and just bought a new firearm to go out and do some shooting? Maybe they aren't anti at all and you just assume.

I would be glad to sell a couple bulk packs at $50 each RIGHT NOW to those folks. But I am not going out of my way to do it. I'm not in the ammo selling business, nor want to be.

shafter
March 8, 2013, 08:38 PM
ut how do you tell if someone was anti last week and just bought a new firearm to go out and do some shooting? Maybe they aren't anti at all and you just assume.

I can't tell but I don't see how that has anything to do with me. I buy what I can when I can and its up to them to do the same former anti or not.

justice06rr
March 9, 2013, 05:38 AM
Will the new shooters go out after the panic cools off, and resolve to always have about 2,000 rds. of .22, plus enough to last six (warm) months in other calibers?

Most likely not. When I was a new shooter, I kept maybe a box or 2 of ammo on hand, and would buy ammo only when I go to the range. I was complacent at the time and thought that I can just buy ammo whenever, seeing Walmarts always stocked with cheap ammo.

It will also depend on the person individually. Some people like to stockpile things (hoard?), while some only buy the bare minimum.

your not obligated to feel sorry for them.

The thing is, some people are anti-gun for one reason or another, maybe based on personal mentality, bias, or bad experience. My own brother who lives with me hates guns and always has. I cannot change his mind, but can only keep encouraging and educating him in a positive manner. He actually expressed interest in shotgun skeet shooting, so that might be my opportunity...

jamesbeat
March 10, 2013, 09:04 PM
My LGS is out of .22 and doesn't know when they will be able to get more in. Same goes for my not so local gun store.
I told the guy at the first place that I had some .22 ammo, and he told me to 'keep hold of it' with a conspiratorial look. I felt like Charlie from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory when he finds the golden ticket. 'Run home as fast as you can, and don't stop!' :D

I only have 49 rounds, I hope it comes back on the shelves soon...

kgpcr
March 10, 2013, 11:44 PM
I would like to see the importers kick it into overdrive and see if we cant get some imported .223 ,9mm and 22lr hit the shelf to help ease the shortage

jamesbeat
March 11, 2013, 09:16 AM
Indeed. I used to work in the same industrial park in Birmingham, England where the IMI (Eley ammo) plant was.
They crank out .22 ammo like there's no tomorrow, so hopefully they've stepped up production to meet the demand.

If you enjoyed reading about ".22LR Shortage..? This might give you hope.?.!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!